PDA

View Full Version : Dell XPS Laptop screen problem - IMPORTANT UPDATE!

TopBunk
26th Aug 2010, 18:14
OK, I'm sure the model is irrelevant, but it's a Dell XPS M1330, about 3 years old and out of warranty.

About 3 days ago, the screen suddenly blanked, and on a power off/on reboot came up with a series of very thin vertical bars. After a couple of attempts I got it to reboot with a normal display but subsequently it has reverted to the above symptoms.

I think the screen is OK and would suggest that the screen controller has blown.

I welcome any views as to the problem and the likely cost of the fix.

Thanks

green granite
26th Aug 2010, 18:26
When it stops raining, take the covers off, take it outside (or in the garage) suck out the dust then put the vacuum cleaner on blow and get rid of the rest of the dust. then check all the fans are running including the one on the graphics card.

Loose rivets
26th Aug 2010, 18:38
Laptop?

Message too short. But it's all I wanted to say!!!

jimtherev
26th Aug 2010, 20:04
Yes, Mr R., laptop.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, you have trouble with the ribbon cable to the screen. Hopefully it's just one of the terminations becoming, er, unterminated.

Symptoms suggest a 'manual diagnostics test': i.e. move the screen up & down, preferably without actually getting to the point where the machine tries to sleep. See if it gets better or worse. If it does make a difference, you may try a repair:

Goog for a service manual online, if you are nervous about the next bit.

You should be able to get to the 'onboard' end of the ribbon cable by removing the keyboard - probably by undoing about half a doz screws underneath & carefully lifting bits away. But the manual will tell you.

Sod's law, of course says that if it's the terminations it'll be the one behind the screen.

Or it could be the ribbon cable itself... usually you can find one for £10 -20 on Ebay. (model specific, of course.)

empacher48
26th Aug 2010, 20:42
Owning an M1330 myself, I know that problem well..

Your graphics card is stuffed.. Well melted actually. The M1330 has always had a problem with cooling the graphics card and processor effectively. Mine has had this happen twice so far, with the symptoms being a shut down and restart, with vertical lines forming all over the screen.

I would ring Dell, since this was a design fault with the laptop, you may be able to get the problem fixed at their cost. If they won't you're looking at a Motherboard replacement, which will be fairly pricey.

After the last time I followed these instructions to "Copper Mod" the graphics card to help the cooling. It does void your warranty, but does allow the system to run cooler. Copper Mod (http://forum.notebookreview.com/dell-xps-studio-xps/268081-dell-xps-m1330-nvidia-geforce-8400m-gs-copper-mod.html)

The M1330 was a great looking laptop with some great specs when it came out. But was so poorly designed it has put me off Dell laptops.

TopBunk
27th Aug 2010, 06:44
Thanks to all for the replies. It looks like disassembly is the first step and take it from there although the symptoms would suggest something more than a disconnected cable.

Fingers crossed .....

NutLoose
27th Aug 2010, 07:51
Would ring Dell first, to see if they would cover it as suggested then you may have a chance, if however you disturb the security seals etc, they wont touch it.

TopBunk
27th Aug 2010, 15:58
Well bvgger me, it is working ok again for now!

Maybe GG's suggestion of a good clean out is the way forward....?

TopBunk
27th Aug 2010, 18:04
Oh no it's not:ugh:

jimtherev
27th Aug 2010, 22:05
Nutloose & Emp seem to have a specific handle on the problem. However, if in the meantime you want to see how big a job the cable thing is, the Service Manual is here: Documentation (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xpsM1330/en/sm/index.htm)

The copper mod solution looks interesting, and capable of being tackled by at least a sheddist third class.:). This assumes that your video chip is not already stuffed, of course.

TopBunk
12th Sep 2010, 17:26
OK, well I have spoken to Dell Tech Support, who suggest that it needs a new motherboard for which they want to relieve me of £366 :{

In my view that makes it very marginal to repair.

On looking through ebay however, I found Dell XPS M1330 nVidia & Intel Graphics Repair Service on eBay (end time 28-Sep-10 16:24:01 BST) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dell-XPS-M1330-nVidia-Intel-Graphics-Repair-Service-/200513666383?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH&hash=item2eaf8bbd4f), which looks like taking a punt on.

Does anyone have any feedback or thoughts?

TopBunk
21st Sep 2010, 09:32
OK, well just got the repaired laptop back working as it should.

Cost of repair was £69.99 + £10 return carriage. Turnaround was about 2 days at the far end. Guarantee for 180 days. If not fixed the £69.99 is refunded.

Early days, but 100% satisfied so far, and much better than Dells offer of £366!

This company does other machines as well as the M1330 if anyone has a similar problem.

TopBunk
17th Jan 2011, 15:32
Folks

I started a thread here a few months ago regarding my XPS M1330 screen displaying vertical lines and was advised that it needed a new motherboard.

Things have developed and for those interested, Dell (and others I understand) have been subject to a class action in the USA which has led them to extend the warranty for not just the M1330 but several others afflicted by the nVidia GPU which is the source of the problems.

Just today they have replaced free of charge with the visit of an engineer, the motherboard for me and all is now fine again - a bit better than spending the £360+ they were asking a few short months ago.

Here is a link:

Dell Offer (http://en.community.dell.com/dell-blogs/Direct2Dell/b/direct2dell/archive/2008/08/18/nvidia-gpu-update-dell-to-offer-warranty-enhancement-to-all-affected-customers-worldwide.aspx)