PDA

View Full Version : Camera case

Rwy in Sight
26th Aug 2010, 17:29
I just acquired an Olympus camera and I would like to buy a case. The first question is should I buy a manufacturer's case ie Olympus as I have done with my previous one or just buy one it fits?

And if I go for the generic one should I buy a soft or a hard one?

Rwy in Sight

P.Pilcher
27th Aug 2010, 09:27
Quite honestly, it all for me depends on price. I acquired an Olympus C-5050 years ago which is still in regular use today. When I bought it from an internet supplier, I also acquired a generic, suitable case which is soft, fits it perfectly with the usual extra pockets for "goodies" and cost a lot less that an official Olympus one. It gives the camera excellent protection and I am very satisfied with it.

P.P.

mixture
27th Aug 2010, 10:18
You've got insurance, right ?

Don't bother with a case. Honestly. All cases do are get in the way of the spontaneity of photography, which afterall, is what leads to many of the best photographs you will take.

Asking people / animals / whatever to "hang on a minute" whilst you fiddle around with your camera case is just not going to cut it.

I own a number of Nikon DSLR cameras and lenses (none of the cheap models of either too)..... never once has any of my equipment been involved in an incident where I thought "I wish I had a case". During travel, the cameras just get dumped in whatever bag I have with me with no special padding.....all working perfectly and no scratches or scuffs to speak of (and to be honest, if you are woried about evidence of wear and tear on your camera then don't bother buying one in the first place).

Its a piece of tech kit, not a one week old baby. Get over it, get out there, and start shooting.

Updated to add :

Don't forget about the sheer rate of depreciation that tech products enjoy. The loss in value caused by any wear and tear will be vastly outweighed by the prompt obsolecence of the technology in your camera.

SpringHeeledJack
27th Aug 2010, 13:23
Asking people / animals / whatever to "hang on a minute" whilst you fiddle around with your camera case is just not going to cut it.

As someone who loves to shoot spontaneously, and many is the time that 'my' picture evaporates before my eyes as i try to switch on, point, frame and press the shutter....and that's without having a protective cover to deal with!!! However, there are many photographers who prefer to set up a shot and carry their camera(s) around in bags/cases/man friday etc and that's fine too, although it seems that many professionals have the attitude of mr mixture, that the cameras and lenses are tools of the trade and there to be used. That said the equipment is in generally good condition, although not 'concours' ready to be sold 'as new'. :8

I guess that it all boils down to what style of photographing you have and how careful you are with treasured equipment.

SHJ

Rwy in Sight
27th Aug 2010, 13:42
The camera is a relative cheap one (X-43 I think) but I like it to keep it on the original condition as long as possible.I really really liked the spontaneity think but since the camera is a shiny blue I am concernced about scratches (sp?).

I might go caseless for a week to see how it goes.

Thanks for your input!

Rwy in Sight

mixture
27th Aug 2010, 14:09
t since the camera is a shiny blue

aah... I see. I think I've seen them, they are kind of pretty. :cool: I can understand how you might feel a case would be justified.

In the end, pretty much as SHJ says..... it depends on what sort of photographer you are and what sort of things you predominantly shoot.

SpringHeeledJack
27th Aug 2010, 15:16
Having just looked up your camera, i would say keep it in a pocket, ready to get that 'one in a million shot' as and when it appears. Just make sure that this pocket has no money/keys/other metallic stuff in it that could scratch said camera, especially the screen at the back. Make sure the wrist strap is attatched on the side you favour and for that matter the right hand pocket as well (if right handed), it will save you seconds and also the ignominy of dropping said camera in haste. You could always cover it in a sock if travelling, certainly cheaper than a case and you could use it as a weapon if you're that way inclined :}

Without wanting to diminish your purchase, just use it.....in a year or two you'll most likely have replaced it or no longer care if it's not pristine.

SHJ