PDA

View Full Version : buying a Ferrari

bar fly
26th Aug 2010, 11:28
Sadly for me this is a hypothetical question. If I was lucky enough to be able to buy myself a Ferrari and fancied going down to my local show room to have a look, would I be able to test drive one? Now being younger than most Ferrari customers would I be subject to some sort of financial check?

Obviously if Wayne Rooney walked in they would offer him the keys to try anything, but I'm not famous but could be equally rich.

The dilema is that they don't want to allow any scrote like me to drive their £150,000 car, but they can't afford to miss out on a potential sale which is so valuable.

Does anyone know how/if they do a quality control on customers?

bar Fly

Ancient Observer
26th Aug 2010, 11:35
Those in the car trade will have seen/heard just about any story that human ingenuity can invent.
They will look for a series of cues about you. Think what cues you would look for. e.g. If you turn up in a battered Range Rover, you might be landed rich, but if you turn up in a Polo, er, maybe not. A move from a posh BMW to a Ferrari might be possible - but from a Rover???
Keep thinking.

G-CPTN
26th Aug 2010, 11:36
A simple 'security' is to deposit your driving licence with the dealer during the testdrive - in that way the dealer knows that you are legally entitled to drive . . .

SMT Member
26th Aug 2010, 11:39
In other words, you're looking for a way to bag a testdrive in a Ferrari without having the means available to actually buy one?

Ok, I'll bite:

1: Dress for success. Yes, seriously rich people can wear a black plastic bag and get away with it. You're not seriously rich, so you need to dress as if you were. Expensive suit, tie and shoes, and make sure to discretely flash the odd label.

2: Make a fake businesscard. You can do that on the interweb, basically calling yourself whatever you like. Lord Randolph Fitzgibbons should do the trick.

3: Don't act too intrested. Keep in mind you're a stinking rich Lord, and it's the job of the proletarian salesman to interest you in his wares. Get him to the point where he's literally forcing you to take it for a spin, then squeeze him a bit more until the wheels are yours for at least a whole day, with a full tank.

Let us know how it goes, and do try not to crash the thing!

MagnusP
26th Aug 2010, 11:43
I walked in off the street and bought a Ferrari in Italy last month.

Mind you, it was only a fountain pen. :(

bar fly
26th Aug 2010, 11:44
Surely there's more to it than looking the part!?

Seriously no financial measure to check one's wealth?

Peter Fanelli
26th Aug 2010, 11:47
I would imagine that if you're really rich you are not going to trundle down to the local dealer. You would in fact call them up and have them bring one round to you.

vulcanised
26th Aug 2010, 11:49
Isn't there some sort of driver training scheme they operate before you are permitted to drive away in one?

G-CPTN
26th Aug 2010, 11:51
A 'sharp' salesman will ask questions about your previous experience of 'performance cars'. Of course reminiscing from your early life is permissible, but if you are still young then it gets a bit more difficult. Salesperson might ask what happened to said vehicles to discover whether you are likely to total his demonstrator at the first roundabout. They might insist on you being accompanied by one of their employees.

If you are prepared with a plausible story about your past, your present and your future (as to why you have decided to consider a Ferrari - and how you might pay for it) then you might pass muster. Don't expect to be able to walk in off the street (ie no vehicle to assess) and leave with the keys to a testdrive within five minutes. There has to be some foreplay . . .
You wouldn't expect to get a woman into bed quickly (unless you were an extremely attractive candidate). Same applies in the motor trade.

MagnusP
26th Aug 2010, 11:56
You could always try telling them you're Lt Col Frank Slade.

treadigraph
26th Aug 2010, 12:09
do try not to crash the thing!

Dunno how these things usually work, but do ensure you are not in any way liable for the damage if you stack it.

Friend of mine, an experienced biker, recently took some super-powerful bike on an extended test ride for an afternoon.

Although it was mostly covered by the dealer's insurance, he had to pay a fairly hefty contribution to the repair bill after a combination of a lorry, a roundabout and just a tad too much speed led him to lay the bike down and let it collide with the by now stationary lorry on its own... Fortunately the damage wasn't too bad (mostly paint work I think) and he was able to ride it back, but it cost him thick end of a grand.

He had to invest in some new leathers and probably underpants as well.

Blacksheep
26th Aug 2010, 12:21
Michael Caine tells of how he came from obscurity and made lots of dosh from The Ipcress File. He went round to Jack Barclays to buy a Roller, but since he wasn't yet publicly recognised, the salesman wouldn't let him sit in one, let alone take it for a test drive.

chuks
26th Aug 2010, 12:29
Asking this question shows you simply oozing class. You want someone else to pay the cost of you driving a Ferrari after you have deceived them by pretending to be a potential customer? Err, isn't there something basically wrong with doing this?

I don't think you will pass the "sniff test" there unless you are enough of a creep to feel no shame for trying this on, and if you do get away with it then see how much you enjoy driving the car while thinking about the amount you will have to pay if you bend it. For stupid ideas this one takes some beating.

Afterwards, drop in at Tesco and eat a few grapes, also "for free."

bar fly
26th Aug 2010, 13:02
It would be interesting to see a new chavy lottery winner for example walk into a dealership. Turning them away could be costly indeed. A bit of a 'Pretty Woman' moment perhaps.

I'd never have the gall to try it out however, but got thinking about it after I drove one of the fine beasts around the Silverstone race track on Monday. A fantastic experience indeed!

Chuks thanks for your feedback....

Bruce Wayne
26th Aug 2010, 13:46
lets face it, if your going to be buying a ferrari or lamborghini is a test drive going to be a buying factor ?

sadly, no.

chuks
26th Aug 2010, 14:04
I was walking with three of them on Vinalhaven Island, Maine, not long ago when we came upon a derelict house. One of them said, "We just missed getting this. It sold for almost nothing, just a million dollars."

I practically got whiplash, so quickly did my head snap around. "A million dollars is nothing?" I asked.

"Uh, yeah, sure, for a beachfront property on Vinalhaven..." Well, yes, since you put it that way, assuming you have tens or hundreds of millions in the bank then spending a million bucks must not be such a big deal, and a shiny red toy such as a Ferrari costs way less than that.

I had a reality check when I had the use of a Porsche Cayenne Turbo S. That thing would pass anything on the road except a filling station; it gulped Super Premium 98 Octane Unleaded at a rate that had to be seen to be believed. Mash down on the loud pedal and things start to happen, including the fuel gauge moving like the minute hand on a watch, almost visibly. If you gave me that car I wouldn't be able to afford the fuel bills and the servicing. BMW 330Ci, anyone?

Metro man
26th Aug 2010, 14:07
Super car salesmen are supposed to be able to recognize a "test pilot" from a mile away.

You would need to be able to display the air and graces of someone of substantial means in order to be taken seriously, and the younger you are the harder it will be.

Your clothes, accent, attitude and mannerisms will be quickly sized up and need to give the correct signals for you to be in with a chance.

Turning up in an expensive car, well dressed with the attitude that the world belongs to you could well see you behind the wheel.

Turning up in an old banger wearing clothes from Tescos and looking impressed by the cars on display, may not get you the time of day.

visibility3miles
26th Aug 2010, 14:08
p0njr9AjaEU

Fitter2
26th Aug 2010, 14:39
Indeed so. An acquaintance with boat navigation skills was enlisted to move in a professional manner a newly acquired yacht from the Solent boatbuilders to Monaco, where it was to reside, with the owner along to 'supervise'.

Not a yacht with sails, but the gin palace sort. Several double bedrooms, rather splendid bar and rear deck with bar to sip G&T as the sun sets.

Arriving at the marina in Monaco, they slip smoothly into a berth between two rather grander examples of the type. Looking up port and starboard, the owner observed 'Ah, how the other half live'..........

dazdaz1
26th Aug 2010, 15:03
I'd think twice before buying the Ferrari 458........
Ferrari investigating 458 supercar fires (http://cars.uk.msn.com/news/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=154497883)

D1

sitigeltfel
26th Aug 2010, 15:05
If I was lucky enough to be able to buy myself a Ferrari For every person who looks at a Ferrari driver and thinks "class", there will be a thousand who's reaction will be "knob". Best take your cash and get something more discreet and equally prestigious.

Anyway, forget the latest 458's as they seem to be hotter than their owners expected.

Ferrari investigating 458 supercar fires (http://cars.uk.msn.com/news/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=154497883&from=toptoday)

nick ritter
26th Aug 2010, 15:29
bar Fly
It is def possible to test drive a Ferrari from a dealer. Perhaps not the new 458 or the other higher end models unless you show some genuine intent on buying it but there are plenty of other models

If you want a go just call a dealer and make inquiries about some of the more modest models which have experienced brutal depreciation. While they still are expensive cars they are certainly not priced at the horrendous cost of the newer models. You can pick up a very good 550 for example with low miles for low 40ís easy or a good 355 for 30 grand or so

Granted not peanuts but comparable with a number of other mid tier brands like Audi and BMW etc. Just call in advance and ask some serious questions and show genuine interest in a particular model that you are looking to test drive

If the dealer is a reasonable distance from where you say you are calling from your trip to them itself will show a good level of intent. Charles Hurst in Belfast for example would be perfect

I had never owned a car and ended up test driving one this way. They had zero idea that I was going to buy one but you would have bagged yourself a good morningís fun if you just intend to walk off after

Parapunter
26th Aug 2010, 16:07
Such an ugly emotion stig...:}

Parapunter
26th Aug 2010, 16:19
The F-car is for Saudi kids.Or the zenith of automotive engineering and has been for decades. All a point of view innit?!

larssnowpharter
26th Aug 2010, 17:03
I love cars. Have driven a Ferrari twice (all this many, many years ago):

1. I managed a big contract with the major sponsor of the Ferrari F1 team and received an invitation to a day at Marinello to drive a new Ferrari. 2 laps with a company driver. Then the magic words: "Off you go. 5 laps and don't go over 7000rpm." An unforgettable experience.

2. Giorgio, owned a camp site in the hinterland of Tuscany and bought a Ferrari. Let me have a go. [email protected] car for the roads there and it was black so didn't work for me.

Linedog
26th Aug 2010, 17:18
I love cars. Have driven a Ferrari twice (all this many, many years ago):

1. I managed a big contract with the major sponsor of the Ferrari F1 team and received an invitation to a day at Marinello to drive a new Ferrari. 2 laps with a company driver. Then the magic words: "Off you go. 5 laps and don't go over 7000rpm." An unforgettable experience.

2. Giorgio, owned a camp site in the hinterland of Tuscany and bought a Ferrari. Let me have a go. [email protected] car for the roads there and it was black so didn't work for me.

May be a bit more believable if you spelt it correctly. :ok:

e.g. Maranello.

larssnowpharter
26th Aug 2010, 17:38
Grazie. Hai ragione!

Cacophonix
26th Aug 2010, 17:46
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzMAoI7zQV8sy5djqgbuOLsHzm2lvfVyHXwxEdDVz C689Q5bE&t=1&usg=__Oi8X1LeZEmCqtPSvt-F3tL40ycY=

312p Berlinetta... (one can dream).

Parapunter
26th Aug 2010, 17:47
it's got some kind of erection.

Cacophonix
26th Aug 2010, 17:53
it's got some kind of erection.;)

In love with itself I guess and who can blame it...

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/images/large/1049/Ferrari-312-P-Berlinetta_13.jpg

Loose rivets
26th Aug 2010, 19:09
On the tip off from a car salesman, I went to see a Ferrari near my home in Essex. He told me a tale of how he got it.

He was cleaning the windows of Lancaster Motors in Colchester, and he saw it in the showroom. He put his bucket down on the carpet and said..I'll have that. They all laughed.

Not long after he'd convinced them he was the owner of the cleaning company and some guy had called in sick.

you can not tell a book by its cover.

Funny thing. I sold an almost new Datsun 280 ZX to a bloke with a Rolls and a very glamerous wife. He owned an office cleaning company.

He looked kind of nervous . . . and oddly fat. His jacket had all the cash stuffed under the zip. All small denomination notes.

Fatboy Ginge
26th Aug 2010, 19:39
You could always do what I did.

A friend of mine during a drunken evening bet me that I couldn't get a 24 hour test drive in one. He'd tried (owns his own IT business) and almost couldn't get through the door so he went to his local Aston dealership who was more than happy to take his money.

I agreed to the bet provided he'd help me out and he promised he would.

I dressed the part (I own three suits, 2 off the peg and one expensive handmade job.) with a handmade suit and a decent pair of shoes. smart haircut and clean shaven.

My mate dropped me off in a 7 series BMW and I arranged for him to call me on the mobile as I walked through the door to enable me to ignore the salesman who's eyes lit up when he saw me.

One random conversation later between me and me whilst I nodded at the salesman and he was itching to get me into the chair for a "chat about my Ferrari requirements", to which my response was "who says it's going to be a Ferrari" - Top sales people love a challenge - and we were getting down to business.

I told him at that point in time I was "in the market for either an Aston or Ferrari, I've tried the Lambo and it was a pile of crap, didn't like it." He agreed and pointed me in the direction of the 456 if I was looking for a sports tourer and proceeded to try to flog the car to me, VERY hard.

I listened to him politely and in no uncertain terms said "depends how I get on behind the wheel. If I don't like the way it drives then I'm not buying one, same with the Aston. They've given me one for 24 hours tomorrow to see how I get on in the Vanquish"

The salesman bless him decided that he could offer me a test drive if I had 40 minutes free. I called his bluff saying that if I was spending 150 grand on a car it was going to need more than 20 minutes driving one to make my mind up. He hummed and aahhhhed for a couple of minutes before getting his diary out and arranging for me to have a used 456 for 24 hours in 3 days.

Job done and me £250 better off thanks to my mate.

Rules for this are...

1) dress well, labels are not essential but good quality clothing is a must.
2) make the salesman do the work, he is selling to you
3) When buying a car if you're not happy with the deal/dealer you walk, same here.If he's not prepared to help you then walk away, be polite but walk away. If he's checking you out then it shows you're serious especially if you've been talking beforehand.
4) you know there's a waiting list for a new one, talk used as well. It's still a ferarri at the end of the day.
5) be confident. If you've got the money for a car like that then you're not going to be a shrinking violet.
6) be polite.

Hope this helps

Pugilistic Animus
26th Aug 2010, 20:20
I'd rather a Cirrus/Pitts/Extra---the ground is so limiting:rolleyes:

Simonta
26th Aug 2010, 20:29
For every person who looks at a Ferrari driver and thinks "class", there will be a thousand who's reaction will be "knob".

So only one person in a thousand, or is that one thousand and one, understands "Ferrari". So what? It's not about "class" anyway. I would buy one not to showoff, or to have people look and stare (in fact, I hate being the centre of attention) but to own and drive one of the finest cars ever built.

A Ferrari cannot be compared to anything else, especially Aston Martin. That's like comparing Mercedes with BMW. On the surface similar, but underneath, very different cars built for different purposes and born out of different philosophies.

Agreed, the 360 devalued the marque somewhat but a true Ferrari owner/fan is buying into the history, engineering and passion of the Scuderia.

Sir George Cayley
26th Aug 2010, 20:47
I understand Ferrari and what the letters stand for.............

For
Ever
Repairing
Repairing
And
Repairing
Indefinately
:ok:

Sir George Cayley

Blacksheep
26th Aug 2010, 21:28
Horses for courses, so when I win the lottery I'll be off to HWM on New Zealand Road in Walton on Thames...

I'm too old for a Ferrari.

bnt
26th Aug 2010, 21:45
Yep - the 458 Italia is not looking like a good investment. Between fires and crashes, no fewer than 11 have been written off (http://www.nitrobahn.com/news/one-more-ferrari-458-italia-crashes-toll-hits-11/) in under three months. :ooh:

G-CPTN
26th Aug 2010, 21:47
off to HWM on New Zealand Road in Walton on Thames (http://www.hwmalfaromeo.co.uk/)You planning on settling for an Alfa? :confused:

RedhillPhil
26th Aug 2010, 22:32
Just remember that real Ferraris are yellow.

Flying Lawyer
26th Aug 2010, 23:27
bar fly
You could always consider an honest route. There are several Ferrari 'track experiences' available which include track driving instruction, then laps with you driving and finishing with a high speed ride with the instructor driving. You could, for example, combine driving a Ferrari with driving the Silverstone circuit.

Simonta
I agree. :ok: There's something very special about a Ferrari which no other marque can match.
There is undoubtedly a certain type of person (almost always male) who drives a Ferrari just because he can afford one (and wants everyone else to know it) but the people I encountered at Ferrari Owners Club track days weren't that type.
I'm puzzled why you think the 360 devalued the marque. Perhaps because the 355 was such a hard act to follow? That was a superb car in it's own right but especially welcome after the 348 mistake - IMHO the low point in Maranello's history.

I've driven a few models over the years (vintage and modern) but only owned one - a 308GTB.
A joy to drive - and I still remember the glorious sound of the V8 engine.
IMHO one of the most beautiful cars ever built.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v140/Rotorheads/Flying%20Lawyer/308GTB_1a800.jpg

Rollingthunder
26th Aug 2010, 23:36
Heh heh,

http://blog.hemmings.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/Ferrari_Enzo_pink.jpg

parabellum
27th Aug 2010, 00:22
Get your wife/GF to dress sexily and scantily to approach the salesman and then get her to pick you up once around the first corner from the dealership!;)

Loose rivets
27th Aug 2010, 00:35
Just remember that real Ferraris are yellow.

When Lancaster delivered the yellow 308GT4, it was like new. I think, about £11,000 with about 5k miles. It was a deal, but the colour...I just wasn't sure. I was never sure. It just didn't seem right.

My neighbor ordered a new silver one. It ran two wheel bearings and had to be RESPRAYED DUE TO RUST in the first year. He dump sold it to a dealer for £6k with almost no miles. He had a long flirtation with Astons, but accepted that he needed a car that worked as well.

I liked the 308, but it couldn't be driven sedately. It liked being belted, and I didn't always want to belt. Driving it like an ordinary car was just plain silly.

One of the only cars that seemed torquie enough was a BB. When the lad that was selling it let me drive it, he was on the edge of his seat. "Slip the clutch...and NO CLUTCH!!" He'd had a bad time with it.

3k on a clutch. 5k on a timing belt error. 1k on a miss-fire. He showed me the bills (from the same Colchester firm) and bemoaned the 3mpg about town. But, it had monumental woomph. I like the gearbox. I'd been brought up to double de-clutch, and it seemed the gearbox like me, cos it always slipped in without a snag. Mind you, it did take time, and a modern gearbox would have a competitor sneaking past you while you nursed the BB's cone clutches.

The thing is, they were police magnets. You got no Brownie points for driving it well. You were put in the same league as a Stirling Moss Wannabe - automatically.

Odd thing, but one of the most fabulous cars I've ever owned was a Toyota Supra. (before Chapman messed with it.) It handled as though it was an extension of my mind. Breathtaking accuracy, and the best manual gearbox in the world. (most of the big magazine writers) A turbine smooth straight six into the back wheels.

Still natter on about cars when I'm down the Red Lion. Usually sit there alone, but natter on anyway. Only 40 years since we'd all leave there in everything from Moggies to real Cobras. Still talk about having two handful's of opposite lock and pedal on full noise.

Oh, BTW. I've obeyed speed limits precisely for decades now. But it's nice to dream.

Capetonian
27th Aug 2010, 00:37
Al Pacino managed it in 'Scent of a Woman' ... and he was blind.

G-CPTN
27th Aug 2010, 01:05
Back in 1966 I bought a very special Lotus Clubman car.
It was a Lotus 37 replica - built with full support from the factory, and had been used exclusively on the track until then.
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/GroupCaptain/Lotus3-7.jpg
I registered it for road use, and everywhere I went it drew attention, either from go-faster boys wanting to keep up and pass then slow down in front of me, or from Police patrols anxious to see what it was. I was regularly stopped and asked the question "Have you got this registered for the road?" which was pointless as it was carrying registration numbers - and they never wanted to see my paperwork, just wanted to ask what it would do - and then watch me as I seared-off into the distance after being encouraged by them (there was never any attempt to 'clock' me).
One Austin Westminster crew insisted on showing me their full-house Healey 3000 engine fitted with triple twin-choke Webers but admitted they wouldn't be able to catch me - even in a straight line. All encounters were amicable and friendly and devoid of animosity (though I hesitated to demonstrate standing-start power-turns in the high-street).
The worst aspect (apart from the fuel consumption and the tiny sprint tank) was when cruising on the motorway (so as to maximise fuel utilisation) when I would accumulate spectators who wanted to run in close company with me, dodging and diving around about - until I opened up and with a blast put some distance between them and me (until I called in to the service area for fuel - I could manage with every other one) when they would sail on by and I wouldn't see them again as they struggled to catch me on the main carriageway.

Loose rivets
27th Aug 2010, 03:37
Did it have silencers?

Gentleman Jim
27th Aug 2010, 04:05
I had one of these

http://www.exoticcarhireworld.com/images/sprintage%20ferrari%20testarossa_3857.jpg

Truly one of the most exciting cars to drive ever, but it had a hole in the fuel tank. I think when I put my foot down (which was often) I got 8-10 MPG.
Definitely a boy's car, the girly hated driving it, and very bad for points accumulation on your driving licence.

Dress well and remember that the salesman only gets paid £25K per year, so take no s**t!

Loose rivets
27th Aug 2010, 06:10
Oooo...a Ferrari Testosterossa. Love it.

Parapunter
27th Aug 2010, 06:51
My big bro had several, the one I remember best was a 348 tb, not by any stretch one of the loved Ferarris, but I thought it was fantastic. I remember being in it one day when, as we pulled up to the lights, a Ford Cortina drew up alongside.

The driver honked his horn, wound down the window & said; 'The bigger the car, the bigger the c***'!'

I wonder if it was sitigeltfel!!:}

Cacophonix
27th Aug 2010, 07:01
Cortina drivers are all tits (except Jim Clark of course)...

bWp-0TuY4Sk

sitigeltfel
27th Aug 2010, 07:04
The driver honked his horn, wound down the window & said; 'The bigger the car, the bigger the c***'!'

I wonder if it was sitigeltfel!!:}

One would never stoop so low............

....to have driven a Cortina ;)

Lukeafb1
27th Aug 2010, 07:07
I'm lucky enough to own a Porsche 911, a 550 Maranello.....and a Ford Mondeo, which I use for work.

A few months ago, I went in to a Ferrari showroom, genuinely looking to upgrade my 550 Maranello, which is 10 years old. I was driving the Mondeo.

I was given short shrift by the salesman, who effectively told me told me to F*** Off!.

Two days later, I went in to the same showroom in the Maranello. Said salesman was all over me, until I told him to F*** Off! Went straight to the Ferrari showroom in Swindon and ordered new car.

Shades of 'Pretty Woman'!:ok:

Blacksheep
27th Aug 2010, 07:18
Cortinas, Minis, Anglias and a Vauxhall bloody Viva (:eek:) Only the British could be so crazy as to go racing in such cars (...and I use the term car loosely).

MagnusP
27th Aug 2010, 08:14
Al Pacino managed it in 'Scent of a Woman' ... and he was blind.

See my reference to Lt Col Frank Slade further up the thread.

JEM60
27th Aug 2010, 08:28
FLYING LAWYER'
I do so agree about the 308 GTB. I never owned one, but had a friend who let me drive it[!] on many occasions. I never ever sat or drove a car where everything felt sooooo right.

Gentleman Jim
27th Aug 2010, 08:33
Lukeafb1

There is a great dealer in Navenby! A Beautiful drive through the Cotswolds as well. I always had superb service there!

matkat
27th Aug 2010, 09:07
Well I have actually done this on 2 occasions the first was at a non franchised dealer at the time I had a Porsche boxster and had no problems and actually bought the car a 328 GTS I subsequently went to the main dealer a year or so later test drove and bought a 355 GTS F1 which I have now owned for 7 years, it is really how you conduct yourself if they will allow you to drive one.

CathayBrat
27th Aug 2010, 10:07
Just dont buy this type-Ferrari 458 Italia

Another Ferrari 458 Italia goes up in flames - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/7967132/Another-Ferrari-458-Italia-goes-up-in-flames.html)

Gainesy
27th Aug 2010, 10:25
Tch, no initiative. If yer want to drive a Ferrari go nick one.

bar fly
27th Aug 2010, 10:43
bar fly
You could always consider an honest route. There are several Ferrari 'track experiences' available which include track driving instruction, then laps with you driving and finishing with a high speed ride with the instructor driving. You could, for example, combine driving a Ferrari with driving the Silverstone circuit.

Flying Lawyer - I mentioned in an earlier post that I did exactly that earlier this week which prompted this whole thread!

Simonta
27th Aug 2010, 11:10
Can't quite put my finger on it but the 360, perhaps simply by virtue of having sold so many, seems to find it's way into the hands of the show-offs rather than marque lovers on a far more frequent basis.

I've always thought that Ferrari should refuse to sell to first time buyers unless they are red (the cars that is) and conduct personality tests on 360 buyers - (removes tongue from cheek)

Gainesy
27th Aug 2010, 12:43
Hear, hear.
Buy a "supercar" then sit behind a builder's Transit in a jam?
Buy a Pitts and go out in a rather photogenic orange bang?
Buy a boat and get run down by a tanker?

Decisions, decisions. :)

OFSO
27th Aug 2010, 13:45
Tch, no initiative. If yer want to drive a Ferrari go nick one.

Happened about 30 years ago. I was walking through Montreaux, CH one evening. At side of road was an Italian B-list supercar parked, one guy inside, one guy at the back.

As I approached, the guy at back explained they had a flat battery and could I help him push while the guy in the driver's seat tried to start it. Being friendly (I was younger then) I agreed to push.

After about 20 metres the engine broke into life, the guy driving revved it a couple of times with the clutch out, the other guy from the back said "thanks" to me, went around and jumped in.

And as I said "bye" to the driver, I looked by his knee and saw several wires hanging down from the dashboard, some stripped and twisted together.

As it sped off, I walked hurredly in the other direction.....

Lon More
27th Aug 2010, 14:07
http://www.lovethatsticker.com/DSN/lovethatstickercom/Commerce/ProductImages/mn1_000219.jpg

MagnusP
27th Aug 2010, 14:11
Ah, if you lot are buying cars named Smith in Italian, please may I have a yellow Maserati GranTurismo just to spread the love around?

I thank you. :ok:

Parapunter
27th Aug 2010, 14:41
Maserati GT - the motoring equivalent of Kate Moss - nice to look at, wallet emptying nightmare to live with. Guy at work has one. I've lost count of the number of times we've seen the trailer in the car park, accompanied by a forlorn look.

MagnusP
27th Aug 2010, 14:58
I know why the Maserati is so expensive. It's 'cos there's a dealership a couple of miles up the road and they have to spend a fortune on windowcleaners after I've had my nose pressed against the window. :p

Loose rivets
27th Aug 2010, 19:11
Yea, and five hundred quid as of new, to make it high enough to go over gate centers etc. No thanks.

What was the MkII Jag doing with all the Cortinas? Mind you, one could ask that about the Galaxy. Oh, a tyre blew. They did that. Getting rubber for the big 'Yanks' was a nightmare in that ere.

I once went From Walton on Naze to Walton on Thames 120 miles? For tyres for a 58 Olds 88. By the time I was home, I needed new tyres.:{

Jim Clarke really did seem to have that special something, didn't he?

Flying Lawyer
27th Aug 2010, 19:57
bar fly Flying Lawyer - I mentioned in an earlier post that I did exactly that earlier this week which prompted this whole thread! Sorry, I missed that.
Pleased you enjoyed the experience.
Do they use one of the main circuits for 'experience' days or the Stowe circuit?

Simonta
I know what you mean. ;)

Loose rivets
Agree entirely re Jim Clark. One of my boyhood heroes.
One of the greatest drivers - ever.

In case you haven't seen it, there's an interesting tribute here: Jim Clark - The Quiet Champion (http://vimeo.com/4228678)
The archive footage brings back happy memories of the golden age of motor racing.

airship
27th Aug 2010, 21:52
There was an era when Ferrari (together with many other luxury brands) announced "waiting lists" of anywhere between 2-3 years before delivery. Those days were rapidly cut short by the recent economic recession (Oh, you didn't notice it. That's OK, because you were anyway prepared to wait for delivery, making do with whatever else was available in the stable)...?!

These days, the high profile customers (read Arab princes etc.) consider a Ferrari as a mere commodity. They were prepared to wait 6 months or so before delivery of their Bugatti Veyron or other obscure supercars. Since then, there's been somewhat of a recovery (especially in oil prices). I can only suggest that Ferrari are currently so over-whelmed with orders from their "core clientele" for orders for 2 seater self-drive taxis that they're purposely ignoring all the other filthy-rich people...

If you're filthy-rich, why can't you wait a couple of months (you wanted the non-standard leather option etc.), that's reasonable. Otherwise, I understand that Subaru have something that will beat most Italian supercars from a standing start, available without the 2 year waiting list. OK, they're noisy...?!

Cacophonix
27th Aug 2010, 22:49
If you really were an English wheel man would you really drive a Ferrari? I wouldn't!

_z8aLdIejPs

I mean look at Lorenzo... and Regga... and Lauda... (shall I continue)...

JUyIAQ7wI_Y

(OK the first one wasn't Fearari, but hell!)

We should still respect John Surtees...

http://www.lugnutsracing.com/files/SurteesRing64.jpg

G-CPTN
27th Aug 2010, 23:01
In the 1960s I literally rubbed shoulders several times with Jim Clark - though never spoke with him. (I did have conversations with Graham Hill, but I would place JC much higher in my esteem than GH).
I particularly remember watching from the inside trackside as JC placed his front wheel within six inches lap after lap - a mere couple of yards from where I was standing (those were the days when that was possible - watch the video of the saloon car racing at Crystal Palace if you don't believe me).

I lost several acquaintances during that period of my life.

Loose rivets
28th Aug 2010, 03:09
Those sixties films. The throaty exhaust, the fag in the corner of the mouth...the kool sunglies, the infinite under-steer... total bliss.

Fred Emney? Oh:uhoh:

Kelly Hopper
28th Aug 2010, 06:27
Getting back to the OP question:
I was 18 years old when I walked into the Lotus showroom wanting a drive in the "Spy Who Loved Me" S1 Esprit. 1/2 hour chat, cup of coffee and I had the keys!!! 'Went on a few years later to do the same with the "For Your Eyes Only" one too. I wasn't dressed for it and could not afford it one bit. They were very accommodating however.

That experience stuck with me and they got their money back when years later I could resist no longer and splashed out. 'Have had 5 of them over the years. Too many bills and too many points!

I have had no problem getting drives in Ferrari's and Lambo's and one day may take the plunge here aswell. I guess it's all about how you carry yourself? Or maybe I was just lucky.

BTW the later Lotus's were hugely quicker than the Ferrari 355. Just a shame about the build quality!

Loose rivets
28th Aug 2010, 17:32
Thank you for the link Flying Lawyer. Watched it 'till the last word of the credits.

Interesting observation about some people feeling more of a machine than most.

Rollingthunder
28th Aug 2010, 17:45
Oh come on..... fine British craftmenship

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/Aston-Martin-DB2_4-431x300.jpg

G-CPTN
28th Aug 2010, 17:49
As a fixed head coupe she is one of five built and one of the last at the Feltham factory prior to moving to Newport Pagnell.

Cacophonix
28th Aug 2010, 18:12
Thank you for the link Flying Lawyer. Watched it 'till the last word of the credits.Amen to that. A fascinating documentary. Thank you.

Um... lifting...
28th Aug 2010, 18:34
Not a Ferrari, but friend of mine owned a 944S, but had his eye on a Carrera. Went to the dealer in the 944, went out for a drive in the Carrera with the salesman, who encouraged him to take the corners a bit faster.

In one bend, the rear end started to break away, he eased throttle, which worked in the 944, but I gather is absolutely wrong in the rear-engine Carrera (never driven either myself)... ended up backward in a hedge.

Tankertrashnav
28th Aug 2010, 20:27
Closest I ever got to a Ferrari I was in the inside lane of the A303 going nowhere fast in my Astra. The Ferrari was alongside me in the outside lane, also stationary. About 45 minutes later I spotted him a few hundred yards ahead of me in another snarl up. Struck me at the time that the UK with its chronically overcrowded roads is not the ideal place to own one of these cars.

SMT Member
28th Aug 2010, 21:20
I was in the inside lane of the A303 going nowhere fast in my Astra

I do believe that particular trait is standard for all Opels, even those operating outside the A303.

Flying Lawyer
29th Aug 2010, 09:13
airship I understand that Subaru have something that will beat most Italian supercars from a standing start A Ferrari isnít all about speed.
Subaruís top of the range Impreza (£50K) will do 0Ė62 mph in 3.7 secs and a top speed of 155 mph (electronically limited) but a Ferrari has that special something, an almost undefinable quality, which even other Italian manufacturers (eg Lamborghini) canít match - far less the Japanese. The Impreza WRX/STI models tend to appeal to a different sort of person. (I am not referring to the cost difference.)

Kelly Hopper the later Lotus's were hugely quicker than the Ferrari 355 The later models were very quick, in the Lotus tradition, and thankfully got rid of that other Lotus tradition - Loads Of Trouble Usually Serious. I had an Esprit Turbo S3 which had superb performance and truly outstanding road-holding. In some ways it was a better car than the 308 but, good as it was, Lotus and Ferrari are in a different league.

Um... lifting... the rear end started to break away, he eased throttle, which worked in the 944, but I gather is absolutely wrong in the rear-engine Carrera ... ended up backward in a hedge. Yes, absolutely wrong Ė although your friend may have done more than just Ďeaseí the throttle. Steady throttle and nerve is more likely to have got him out of trouble. Unwise salesman. Anyone can drive fast in a straight line but, to use a 911ís performance through bends, itís essential to adapt driving style to having the weight way back. That said, slow in and fast out is the best technique for all rear-wheel drive cars in most circumstances.

Tankertrashnav Struck me at the time that the UK with its chronically overcrowded roads is not the ideal place to own one of these cars. Not ideal, but thereís fun to be had (even legally) on a good A road at the right place and the right time. eg The A303 can be good fun when there's little or no traffic.

G-CPTN I would place JC much higher in my esteem than GH. So would I.
Graham Hill learnt to be an extremely good driver whereas Jim Clark was a natural.
Very similar to the difference between Damon Hill and Ayrton Senna in the next generation.

>

redsnail
29th Aug 2010, 12:06
The A303 can be good fun when there's little or no traffic.
Sunday 4am? ;)
It's not a bad road for a bike either and you can make short work of the traffic too when it inevitably builds up around Stone Henge.

Saw one of these (http://www.ferrari.com/English/GT_Sport%20Cars/CurrentRange/458-Italia/Pages/458-Italia.aspx) outside the TAG FBO at Geneva the other day. It was black with yellow brake calipers. Awesome.

Um... lifting...
29th Aug 2010, 12:09
Where's the snowplow blade attach?

sea oxen
29th Aug 2010, 13:03
I would place JC much higher in my esteem than GH.

Hmm. Who had the better moustache? And who answered an interview question by saying 'you mean [email protected]'? :)

I sincerely enjoyed the documentary, FL. Good way to spend an hour when I am meant to do things.

SO

Fire and brimstone
29th Aug 2010, 14:19
No, you should definately buy an Aston Martin instead.

The Ferrari is a default choice for shirt-lifters. I suppose you would get a 'red' one?

:ugh:

The same sort of person with less money would get a :mad: BMW, I suppose?

No, no, get some individuality and self respect - the Aston is the better choice, and is slightly less likely to get urinated on / in.

If you are in the gutter financially, why not try a 2006/7 Jaguar XK? Similar to look at to the Aston, and yours (non-supercharged, coupe) for no more than £30K. Bargain.

Any more car questions for me?

Parapunter
29th Aug 2010, 14:29
I have one, but first I have to say when I read this I clapped my hands - over my eyes.

Do you speak your mind because there's nothing to lose?

Fire and brimstone
29th Aug 2010, 14:47
Which? The Aston or the 'shirt-lifter mo-bile'?

I see no point in coming onto pprune and not speaking ones mind - is'nt the whole point to have a bloody good argument, or have I misunderstood the concept?

One final point: most Ferrari's are strict two seaters - either the DB9 or the XK have small rear seats - easily enough to a get an Airedale Terrier or two into.

I suspect the latter would be cheaper too, off-setting the cost of the Airedales (about £800-a-pop for nice ones).

I have more opinions and advice, if needed. :rolleyes:

Parapunter
29th Aug 2010, 15:06
Score one for the punter!

Pugilistic Animus
29th Aug 2010, 18:09
The Venerable Atari Ferrari
YouTube - 757 vertical climb (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRiCHgQnf9s&feature=related) :D:D:D

cost a little more than the ground vehicle:ooh:

sitigeltfel
1st Sep 2010, 15:30
Ferrari find the cause of the "thermal incidents".

BBC News - Ferrari recalls Italia cars after reports of fires (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11156782)

Tankertrashnav
1st Sep 2010, 15:56
The Ferrari is a default choice for shirt-lifters. I suppose you would get a 'red' one?

:ugh:

Which? The Aston or the 'shirt-lifter mo-bile'?

Any more car questions for me?

Not cars Fire and Brimstone, but here's one. Would you post a comment that the BMW is the car of choice for n***ers? Your offensive description of homosexuals might have been acceptable 30 years ago but it certainly isn't now. I wonder how many "shirt lifters" contribute to this forum - you may be surprised. If you want a bloody good argument have one, but lay off the abusive language.

G-CPTN
1st Sep 2010, 16:01
The handful of owners . . . fires . . . confirmed to be due to this problem - will now receive a new model, Ferrari said.
Would that be a full-size model?

Loose rivets
1st Sep 2010, 16:19
I'm mystified about Porsche. Way back in the early 70s, pals who were enthusiastic drivers, seemed to lose the back end of their new toys. Several were write-offs and one chap went out and purchased the latest offering - before he'd even been paid out. He destroyed it in the first few days.

He was a bookmaker, so he must have known the odds.:}

This car had vast rear tyres and I felt sure Porsche had addressed the problems ordinary mortals were having with their product. But it seems not . . . right to this day. One of these was a 928s. Sooooo very different in concept, yet a skilled enthusiast managed to end up backwards on a moderate bend. It was also totaled.

Just what do you do in a Porsche when the back steps out, if you can't ease off the power? Nearly all our cars were RWD, and I taught my lot to seek zero torque during recovery in extreme conditions - snow/ice etc., and light positive torque in rain.

If you were racing, losing second with low power might be decisive, but any notion that you can leave high levels of power on with the back out, might be okay for the track . . . a track with nobody else on it! I can't see it being feasible on public roads.

I've said this before, but I used to consider the A140 my personal property before 05:30, and after 03:00 on the way home. Nice it was, but you never know what's round the corner. One lovely spring morning, minding bunnies etc., a Tank Buster flew across the road in front of me. I know he did it on purpose . . . it's just the kind of thing I would have done if I'd seen one lone car on 40 miles of road.:\

Cheerio
2nd Sep 2010, 09:17
All the below is instinctive as any 'hand' will know and in being descriptive, its a bit like trying to write p0rn I imagine....

The analog, pre-electronic nanny 911 such as the 1980's 3.2 Carrera is different. You can't just jump into one and drive it like anything else. Perhaps the closest in handling character is the Hillman Imp. The Imp is idiot proof, but because the lateral forces are greater, the 911 is not.

The old adage of 'slow in, fast out' is reasonable enough and essential starting point to approach the 911, but as you gain experience and connect with the dynamics, you can push the envelope to 'fast in, very fast out'

The critical point is to never enter a corner 'hot'. Modern cars are somnolent arcade experiences that do all the thinking for you, modern 911's included.

Never, ever be goaded into entering a turn with excess momentum that will shift the weight to the front as you shed it, 95% of the time you will get by, but one slippy, off camber, double apex corner will catch you out soon enough. You must discipline yourself to a different driving style. Hot hatches will be all over your tail on the way in as they desperately try to conserve momentum for the exit. Ignore them. You have to time your braking exactly right, get off the brakes, feed in the power, maybe even a little lift if it is a very tight corner to unsettle the tail, then at exactly the right moment nail it. Unwind a bit of lock as the nose tucks in the tail squats, and you are exiting the corner holding a rock steady line and putting on speed in a quite unique way. The 911 talks to you like no other car, for example the steering is so communicative it could tell you the sweetie wrapper you just went over with your left front wheel was a Crunchie. With no ABS, you can finesse the brakes right up to the point of locking.

The 911 has three modes of cornering:

1) Razor sharp, low polar momentum, steering-led, with the tail towing the line. This is the 90% condition.

If you drive though to the next mode, the tail begins to influence things.

2) If you have been stupid or lazy, as the corner tightens and you shed speed, you develop a terrifying dumb-bell tail swing. Unless you are very lucky, there will be only one outcome to this. Avoiding this condition is really easy for the simpatico driver. If a driver gets into this condition, they really ought to stick to Daihatsu Sirions.

You can drive the 911 at 90% everywhere and never leave mode 1. That is the sensible thing to do. However for the committed:

3) 911 nirvana. Having entered and driven through the first part of the corner in mode 1, you provoke incipient mode 2 by managing the front/rear forces to coincide with the apex. Maybe the slightest hint of a twitch off the throttle and tightening of the wheel if necessary. Instantaneously, before the tail gets a chance, with the revs hovering around 3000 rpm, you nail the throttle. The nose tightens, the tail squats down and grips hard, you catapult out of the corner like you have come out of a slingshot. There is nothing like it.

So to get round to Loose Rivets point: Catching a 911 tail slide? Power slides in low G conditions, in snow, or exuberant exiting of junctions are a piece of cake. I'd love to give you some bullshit about drifting here, but my experience is that I have never got my 911 into a full high speed drift, I don't want to, I doubt I could hold it. It feels like you could hold a slide easily enough, but never manage to get out of it! Get into that situation in reality, lift off, and it will spin. On a track I'm sure you can do it and get out of it controllably, with room to spare, but if you are on the road, forget it, you are headed for the bushes.

I can't believe it took me until my 50's to get into 911's. I was always disdainful of the Gekko image and the Germanic arrogance of the thing. I preferred the latin epspirito. Don't make the same mistake. You can get a good everyday 3.2 Carrera for £15k easily and they are more useable and hence better fun than a brand new GT3. Honestly.

Don't just take my word for it though:

James May on the Porsche 911 - BBC Top Gear (http://www.topgear.com/uk/james-may/james-porsche-2009-08-11)

Couple of anorak typos in there though:
para 10 should read pre-85
para 12 should read 3.2

Tankertrashnav
2nd Sep 2010, 16:52
My goodness that was interesting cheerio.

:rolleyes:

Cheerio
2nd Sep 2010, 18:29
You stick to the A303 Tankertrashnav, you were made for each other.

Tankertrashnav
2nd Sep 2010, 18:41
See you in the slow lane, Cheerio ;)

Cheerio
2nd Sep 2010, 19:06
Whats a 'slow' lane? :confused: :ok:

http://s0.geograph.org.uk/photos/00/91/009183_10402f9e.jpg

Tankertrashnav
2nd Sep 2010, 21:37
Very nice, but do drive carefully and look out for sheep, won't you? :)

Cheerio
2nd Sep 2010, 21:40
No problem, up here sheep run away from men.......

jumpseater
3rd Sep 2010, 00:17
I concur with what Cheerio has said. I've driven hundreds of Porsche's and have never got to stage 2. I have been driven as a passenger in one at stage 3 on a track day, which was an astonishing insight into the true capability of the 911. I drove them at the cross over between the analogue 70's versions and the early 90's more 'civilised' versions, though they were more than capable of biting if 'C's stage 2 was reached.
I used to collect customer cars and occaisionally take punters out and do after maintenance drives with techies too. For normal roads theres no need to get anywhere near 'C's level 2, the people who did get there were either eejits or were unlucky with the road conditions (oil spill etc). I'd say 99% fell into the eejit section, including the one who went on a track day with his week old car and left it in the armco. We had it dragged (literally, two nearside wheels destroyed) into the workshop, with his big pleading 'can you fix it?' eyes. Not unlike this one, but a 911 so a touch more expensive:oh:

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c351/refshots/side.jpg

Ahh... no we can't, thats what we call 'cattled'. He'd omitted to get track day cover, this was just as they were starting too.

Normal customers were usually amazed by the general perfomance and quality of the cars, so there was no need to try and impress by doing anything silly. The 'feedback' that Cheerio describes, is exactly as he eloquently writes. A similar sort of feedback came with a well set up 944s and 968cs and currently with the Boxster family, not yet had the opportunity to drive a Cayman. The drivers that ended up in the hedges seemed to be upgraders from 924/928/944/968's that were used to a very neutral balanced fast car and forgot that the engine room was at the stern, or front wheel drive people who hadn't made the connection either.

Like Cheerio I'm quite keen on them. First 911 I was given to drive was a LHD flatnose 911 worth more than my house at that time, and I'd never driven a LHD car before ... :uhoh:

Loose rivets
3rd Sep 2010, 03:51
I just don't know how folks get good at driving to the limit now. I started in a box Morris 8. Minute, with the go pedal in the middle. Then there was the 1938 Wolseley, huge, but not exactly quick. When my pal and I showed his brother a looooong handbrake turn in the snow, he got the hump and walked home. Same very tall pal pushed the light button on my Standard 8 van with his knee. Shame that, there was no other light and we were spinning furiously . . . on the green above Walton's Naze cliffs. There was a minute's silence after we came to a standstill.

Then there was Wing Commander Percy Hatfield's Boxted Aerodrome. (An interesting Goo-Goil) Mostly he shoo off drivers, but somehow he let us play. (he did my PPL there)

There's a post of mine somewhere about him - with me in the front - boinging off a Perpendicular Popular. It was a Tiger Moth. Back to skid control.

There was acres of concrete there, and a chance to hang the back out at high speed. Well, 80, anyway. Things were different then, tyres were not exactly very grippy, but they were expensive. However, by the time I got my first E-Type, looking out of the side window was a non-event. But the point is, I got to that stage over some 10 years of enthusiastic driving.

By the time I was in some seriously quick cars - quick as opposed to the long legged 3.8 E's 162 mph without modification - I almost never found myself crossed up on dry roads. If it did happen, it was all over in a second...with no real recollection of putting in a correction. Slippy roads were different. Long, leisurely metering out of the power, and many of the seat of the pants things mentioned above.

There was a sort of gap in time where cars had become quick, and the population would still go to bed at night. I was very lucky to drive in that era. When I got a Supra turbo in the late 80s, I was dimming my lights every few minutes at 03:00 on the A140. What are all these people doing at that time of the morning?

Oh, the disgrace of being overtaken by white van man.

Then there was cooking my dinner on the manifold while on the M4. About the appointed time, if there was no cars for miles in either direction, I'd hop out and un-wire the silver foil box. Lovely hot meal followed by a duty free cigar. ;)
[SIZE="1"]

matkat
3rd Sep 2010, 07:08
Kelly, You say that later lotus were hugely quicker than the 355 can you please quantify that as the 355 has a quoted speed of 183 MPH so can you please tell me what lotus is 'hugely' quicker than that????
Yes I am biased having had a 355 (in silver) for the past 7 years.

Tankertrashnav
3rd Sep 2010, 08:27
By the time I was in some seriously quick cars

If I may intrude again into the petrolhead thread, I have always been intrigued why in their world cars are always "quick", never fast. Any ideas on that one, is it a bit like the "plane/aircraft" argument?

Simonta
3rd Sep 2010, 12:46
The difference between fast and quick?

Car A "only" does 140, 0-60 in 5.9 seconds.
Car B does 180, 0-60 in 4.8 seconds.

On a straight road, no comparison. But imagine that car B has the handling characteristics of a dead octopus. You get onto nice bendy roads, roundabouts etc and car B is soon watching car A disappear.

There are many combinations for car A and car B. I've had a few car As and have oft times had fun playing with something which on paper is "faster" but on anything except a straight piece of track is definitely not.

The cousins are great at building such cars. Big, lumpy powerful engines and embarassing handling. Very fast, but not quick.

Same thing for drivers. Anyone can drive fast. Give me an F1 car and I'll take it to 240 on a long flat straight. Ask me to take it round the hairpin at the end and I'll probably be spitting out gravel.

Tankertrashnav
3rd Sep 2010, 13:07
Thanks, I think I get it.

One more question, is a Fiesta 1.3 fast or quick?

;)

wings folded
3rd Sep 2010, 13:25
Compared to a Citroen 2cv it is both.

Citroen 2cv nought to sixty, possibly if you have time on your hands and a favourable wind.

G-CPTN
3rd Sep 2010, 14:09
60km/h possible . . .

MagnusP
3rd Sep 2010, 14:17
. . . and only if you can refuel on the move.

Storminnorm
3rd Sep 2010, 14:21
I quite liked the Citroen 2CV.
At least, that's what I told the dupe I sold it to.

jumpseater
3rd Sep 2010, 14:28
One more question, is a Fiesta 1.3 fast or quick?

Identical/same car, depends on the driver now.
Driver A
Driver B

On a straight road, the driver A will get quicker gear changes and get marginly more out of the car due to better technique. But imagine that driver B has the driving skills of a dead octopus. You get onto nice bendy roads, roundabouts etc and driver B is soon watching driver A disappear.

There are many variations of driver A and driver B. From my racing school comparisons I'm closer to A in a car, and definitely far closer to B on a bike.

Then there was the time, two days before delivery, I 'assisted' in doing £8k's worth of damage to a unregistered, brand new, shiney 928, with a toilet door .... :oh:

Tankertrashnav
3rd Sep 2010, 15:11
Driver B here. Funny how often at the end of my 13 mile commute I see driver A who overtook me at the outset a hundred yards ahead of me in the queue into town. Still I suppose its a mindset. Ive got a 72 year old chum who jusrt cant bear to see a car in front of him. Watching him getting more and more impatient as we trundle around when I'm driving is really funny :E

wings folded
3rd Sep 2010, 15:31
Loved that car, but 60 to nought took as long. Disc brakes unheard of.

Fuel comsumption was measured in litres / gallons per year.

My current lawnmower has a bigger cylinder capacity.

M.Mouse
3rd Sep 2010, 21:45
As an animal lover I am contemplating buying a 2CV.

I understand that if you hit a dog they fall to bits.

cjm_2010
3rd Sep 2010, 22:07
if I had the money for a new ferrari - I wouldn't buy one.

most of the cash would go on the mortgage. I'd keep 25k aside for a caterham seven. I've already got a 2t racing kart - I'd like a road going equivalent :cool:

G-CPTN
3rd Sep 2010, 22:26
In my time I've had two Renault 4s and one Lotus Seven.

I'm not sure which was the most fun . . .

wings folded
4th Sep 2010, 13:40
I understand that if you hit a dog they fall to bits.

What falls to bits? The dog or the 2cv? The dog shakes its head and mutters the canine equivalent of "What the fcuk was that?"

The scattered remnants of the 2cv set off down the road at the same pace as prior to the event, but this time with fairly efficient ventilation.

PS

Legend has it that the design team were given the chore of conceiving a car which would be able to transport a basket of freshly collected eggs poised on the bonnet (hood for transatlantics) across a ploughed field, without breaking an egg.

Always thought that it was a bit strange to take a detour via a ploughed field to bring the eggs from the hen house to the house.

But then I was brought up in a town.

G-CPTN
4th Sep 2010, 14:44
I suppose the 2CV was the French answer to the Land Rover concept?

Stop Stop Stop
15th Sep 2010, 23:44
A couple of years ago I was mooching around Berlin when I stumbled on a Bugatti dealership. Of course, there was a Veyron sitting in pride of place with little ropes around it- clearly showing the line that could not be crossed.

It was fairly quiet inside (most of the crowds seem to stay outside and press their noses to the window). I got talking to the salesman and just happened to ask him (he spoke excellent English) if it was possible to test drive the mighty Veyron.

"Yes, of course it is sir." was the answer. My eyes lit up... "great, what do we have to do to organise it?" I spluttered.

"Yes sir, you need to deposit 1.1 Million Euros into our special escrow account and we will deliver the car for you to test at your leisure. If you like it, you keep the car- if not we will return your 1.1 million. Would you like to complete the paperwork?"

I made my excuses and left!!!!

Cacophonix
16th Sep 2010, 00:23
Bugatti dealership

Find your soul...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3153/2353066362_9f40b98c39.jpg

Loose rivets
16th Sep 2010, 00:33
I think I wore a similar expression when I saw my wheel bounding away from my Mini.

I've always wondered about dealers letting unknowns drive hot cars. I drove a 308 at Lancaster in Colchester, and the bloke kept telling me to go faster. I didn't want to...I knew exactly how well it would go if I pushed it, but I'd never driven one slowly. Well balanced little engine, and fairly tractable, but not quite what I'd become used to in America.:rolleyes:

One of their demmo cars came by while I was talking to someone outside. It was still doing about 100mph in what is now a 30. I just don't know how the salesmen coped with it.

nomorecatering
16th Sep 2010, 06:23
So how does the 2011 Porsche 911 Turbo with 4wd, torque vectoring control, traction control and stability management..........how does it compare to the detailed description.