PDA

View Full Version : EK Pilot Recruitment Roadshows go to London.

cuberoute
26th Aug 2010, 10:06
I was told yesterday that EK will be doing FIVE Roadshows in London in September for those interested !

Cloud Bunny
26th Aug 2010, 11:59
Is this concrete fact or just speculation?

Cloud Bunny
26th Aug 2010, 12:33
You're not wrong, have a look at the Ryanair Exodus thread in Terms and Endearment.
Hope this is true as I couldn't get to the last ones.

cuberoute
26th Aug 2010, 12:34
Fact :-

20th Sept Gatwick
21st Sept Stanstead
22nd Sept Stanstead
23rd Sept Luton
24th Sept Manchester

I suppose it will be in the press in the near future ! ! Stay tuned .

Mr Good Cat
27th Aug 2010, 07:02
Okay I'll give you the first four, as some of them market themselves as London even if they're over 30 miles away.

But I'm sure the citizens of Mancunia will turning purple over your geographical presumptions!

Seriously though, there are already a hefty bunch (over 75 from what I hear from my ex-colleagues) of EZY SFO's who have applied to EK. I'm sure it's a similar figure from Ryanair too. The guys are plenty experienced; I would imagine mostly single too which might make them less likely to up-sticks and return home due to family issues etc. And the standards of training are pretty high (at EZY anyway can't speak for FR).

The fact that there are two airlines out there with a workplace atmosphere currently more miserable than EK might just solve our crewing problems out here.:ok:

cuberoute
27th Aug 2010, 18:07
Had a couple of pms .

The roadshows run from 10am till 1300 but I am not privy to the venues yet . I can probably find out if interested .

Cheers

helen-damnation
28th Aug 2010, 16:39
20th Sep 2010
London Gatwick
Sofitel Hotel London Gatwick
North Terminal, Gatwick Airport, West Sussex, RH6 0PH
10:00 -13:00

21st Sep 2010
Stansted
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Waltham Close, London Stansted Airport, Essex, CM24 1PP

22nd Sep 2010
Stansted
Radisson Blu Hotel London Stansted Airport
Waltham Close, London Stansted Airport, Essex, CM24 1PP

23rd Sep 2010
Luton
Holiday Inn Luton South
M1/Jct 9, London Road, Markyate, Nr. St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL3 8HH

24th Sep 2010
Manchester
Radisson Blu Hotel Manchester Airport
Chicago Avenue, Manchester M90 3RA

To apply to Emirates, candidates must have a minimum of 4000 total and 2000 multi-crew, multi-engine jet hours; or a total of 2500 hours on a modern commercial jet aircraft, ICAO ATPL, ICAO English level (4 or above) and be current within the last 12 months.

411A
28th Aug 2010, 18:14
Hmmm, those DEC positions can't be far behind, then.:}

145qrh
28th Aug 2010, 18:29
Oh 411, you are such a wit :ugh:

Bird On
28th Aug 2010, 18:35
So what an earth kind of difference is a roadshow going to make. Does Emirates think that none of these guys in the UK have ever heard of, researched or considered EK before?????

They haven't already applied so this just smacks of a desperate shot in the dark by EK recruitment.

Still I guess its a bit of a summer holiday back in ol Blighty for some.

bigdaviet
28th Aug 2010, 23:01
Do you just turn up to these roadshows or does a place have to be booked?

CRUIZE
29th Aug 2010, 00:04
Hmmmmmmmmmm me think, you have to pay big buck for front row mate

three eighty
29th Aug 2010, 06:07
No booking required

gardenshed
29th Aug 2010, 06:51
To all you guys out there who think the grass is greener in the desert, go look at the middle east site.
There are plenty of guys here just waiting to bail at somepoint here.
Just remember that there is NO union or pilot group here to look after your interests/health etc, and while the big tin looks impressive now, a year later when you are doing 90hrs+ a month and on your 3 night turn to India in Monsoon the shine soon goes.

411A
29th Aug 2010, 08:59
...the shine soon goes.
Of course it does.
However, IF these guys advance to Command, and do the nominal 500+ hours in same, the path to other airlines is open.
GONE are the days of extended pleasant conditions in the middle east, IE: the airlines there will get their pound of flesh, make no mistake.
However, for DEC's, the picture is considerably brighter.
From the LHS, the shine is always better.:)

cuberoute
29th Aug 2010, 09:23
411. Not sure of your position ? Do you want to be a DEC ? I asked about DECs last week and the definative answer is NO . It is not even being discussed because there are too many F/Os now ready to upgrade ! If anything the list of commands will be accellerated because of the extra aircraft ordered .
Hope this helps .

bigdaviet
29th Aug 2010, 09:33
To all you guys out there who think the grass is greener in the desert, go look at the middle east site.

Thanks for the warnings! I'm very happy where I am for the moment, but if I'm off I may pop in to one of the roadshows just out of curiosity!

411A
29th Aug 2010, 13:58
Do you want to be a DEC ?
In EK, no, however....I've been one in several airlines, and would consider nothing else.

millerscourt
29th Aug 2010, 17:00
cuberoute

You must be new here as 411A is Pontious's elder brother:E

411A Not sure I agree with your idea that once you get 500 hours in command with EK then the path to other airlines is open as they are all much of the same. Once you become an expat now you probably will remain one for the rest of your career just like you and me for that matter
Changing horses as a DEC with another airline is exceedingly risky although I did it with three but looking back it would have been very easy if getting the wrong Line Checker say to find oneself out of a job.

dustyprops
29th Aug 2010, 17:05
I reckon old 411A must be after a DEC position otherwise why would he be hanging around the M.E. threads. Otherwise I can see absolutely no reason why he would have any need to comment on any of the threads here. Keep your eyes peeled old boy, a job might come up for you yet.

411A
29th Aug 2010, 22:33
Keep your eyes peeled old boy, a job might come up for you yet.
I've got one already, but thanks anyway.:rolleyes:

donpizmeov
30th Aug 2010, 15:04
These road shows are a great idea. They will always be populated by groups of pilots who are very happy to be seated and have their egos stroked that somewhere they are wanted by someone. The Free tea and biccies will be devoured in no time. Takes the pressure off these chaps and chapesses thinking about buying their own uniforms, paying for their airport parking, and buying their food and water on board. No wonder they never consider how the contract they are about to sign in the sand can be changed with the wind.
I am sure you would just need to show a picture of a beach with blue sky (we get them in Dec) and all the recruiting woos will be solved. Might even be able to start this popular P2F scheme if the beach pic is nice enough.

Keep discovering.

The Don

TOPC
18th Sep 2010, 08:57
Is there normally a large attendance to these roadshows ?

dustyprops
18th Sep 2010, 10:02
Please tell me nobody showed up:D

Dave Clarke Fife
18th Sep 2010, 21:46
Nobody showed up.................not one, zero, ziltch, nada...

Might be a different story on the 20th when it all kicks off...............

Marooned
19th Sep 2010, 03:16
If the tools in recruitment just realized that the best recruitment tool for the company would be its own pilots!

I know that myself and many others have not and would not recommend EK to anyone other than those out of work or nearing the dole queue.

With Boeing predicting an additional 15-20,000 new pilots needed every year for the next 20 years, the biggest problem EK is going to have to keep TC's evil empire growing is the availability of pilots.

Boeing Forecasts Asia Will Lead Pilot Additions Over 20 Years - BusinessWeek (http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-09-16/boeing-forecasts-asia-will-lead-pilot-additions-over-20-years.html)

Brutus 5
19th Sep 2010, 04:04
The secret will not be the recruitment of pilots, but to keep them working for the airline, after they realized that all the promises was smoke and mirrors and they have some new types on their licenses.!!!!!!!:eek:

dustyprops
19th Sep 2010, 09:25
Ah! Well here's to hoping nobody shows up!

hunterboy
19th Sep 2010, 12:33
I went to a LHR roadshow a couple of years ago. There were about 20 guys that turned up, (Easyjet, Thompson, etc). They left once the T&C's were put up on the screen.
I left once they told me that there were no plans to open bases outside of DXB.
Mind you, it could all change tomorrow.

CAVnotOK
19th Sep 2010, 13:05
I think a lot of people are waiting on the edge of their seats. Most likely the EK Management are the closest to the edge of theirs!

Englishmen normally speak the lingo better than those from some other parts of the world. Not naming Names.......

Cav.

CAVnotOK
19th Sep 2010, 13:56
Just talking about passing the English Language Test. Not talking about Poms in Management or anything else.

Cav.

flareflyer
20th Sep 2010, 05:51
Hi guys,

may I know in which recent roadshow nobody showed up?

Flare

nosher
20th Sep 2010, 09:09
Hi there,

Just wondering if there is any indication as to how long EK will be looking for FO's? Im short some 500 Hrs at this stage.

Thanks

CAVnotOK
20th Sep 2010, 09:12
I suspect, a long, long time.

Apparently the target has changed from 700 to 800 in the next 18 months. Can anyone confirm to hearing the same?

Cav.

Easy Ryder
20th Sep 2010, 14:47
I was told 2000 over next 48 months thanks to all the orders

On speed on profile
20th Sep 2010, 18:14
So can anyone shed some light on what was said at the road show. Is it worth the effort to attend?

OSOP

dustyprops
20th Sep 2010, 18:32
nosher, consider yourself lucky you're short on hours. 90+ hours month in month out, it's a friggin nightmare. Plus the leave situation is a joke, i've still got over 2 weeks to take and there is no leave to be had. Stay where you are, trust me. Don't get suckered in like the rest of us.

easyrider, who the heck told you that many?!?!?! Management 'washup' stated 850'ish in 4 years. Maybe 2000 movements in terms of right to left seat plus new suckers.

Iver
21st Sep 2010, 03:13
Dustyprops,

Please leave EK - for your own sake. Life is just too short to be that bitter. Go back to the UK or Emarld Isle. Think about it... Not trying to be sarcastic - just realistic when I hear so many negative posts from EK pilots. It's better to just leverage your heavy jet EK experience somewhere else where you will be happier.

dustyprops
21st Sep 2010, 04:54
Thanks for the advice Iver me ol' mate, line me up something back in the real world and i'll shake your hand and sign on the dotted line tomorrow.

As for the heavy jet thing, it means nothing, an airplane is an airplane, the only thing that matters is lifestyle, and it ain't happening here anymore. So when you hear, so many negative posts from EK pilots it's for a reason.

Wizofoz
21st Sep 2010, 06:26
line me up something back in the real world and i'll shake your hand and sign on the dotted line tomorrow.

Jet2 and Ryanair are recruiting, and Pac Blue, Tiger and J* are always looking for guys back in Aus and NZ. Korean will base you just about anywhere. Air China Cargo looking for commuters based in Shenzen.

Going to give them a go?

IXNAT
21st Sep 2010, 08:59
Just flew with a guy whose been here two years. Wife is leaving and taking the two kids with her back "home". That's where the tipping point is, the family. They didn't sign up to be left alone month after month while the pilot husband flies, recovers, flies, recovers, flies, recovers and on and on with no let up. Majority are not receiving their full leave allocations (some are, as posted here). Experienced TRIs and TREs are resigning from training because of the incredible workload and a few receiving NO leave thus far this year. Maintenance is being "pencil whipped" in some cases when ADDs are expiring, then when the same problem crops up on the next sector another expiration is in affect. Can you live with this? Some can, some can't. Those that can't ususally end up posting here to blow some steam off.

On the other hand there is a quiet desperatation amongst the pilots that nothing can be done, and there is no where to go (country or airline). I reference the difference from this year's "washups" on the training day and last year's. Last year, lots of vocal complaints during during the meetings, this year....WTF. Just compare the lack of postings of complaints this year compared to last. A few still are vocal, but most just are tired, realise the situation and just plug along. Nothing has improved, just guys are worn out and have given up the fight.

Your call....remember, Fatigue is only imagined amongst a few disgruntled pilots. Trends are not encouraging in alot of areas.

dustyprops
21st Sep 2010, 10:43
Thanks wiz, not an Oz or Kiwi thus ruling out 2 of those. Worked in the far east already and not interested in going back. I have an iron in the fire with Jet2 and it could well be on (base permitting). As for Ryanair, i can't afford the interview:)

So in answer to your question, yes, I am having a go. I figure I might as well fly a loco roster at home than rot out here flying one. Horses for courses I know, but this place is going to the dogs mate.

P.S. If you've got anyone else hiring that you know of let me know, left or right seat I don't care. Cheers

Wizofoz
21st Sep 2010, 11:04
Good for you Dusty,

At least you are willing to vote with your feet, not just your keyboard.

three eighty
8th Oct 2010, 16:27
Anyone can attend the roadshow regardless of experience. Take your wife too