PDA

View Full Version : Merged: A330s for VB - Sth Africa and Phuket gone for VA - pick up Abu dhabi

slice
25th Aug 2010, 23:56
The Virgin Blue Group of Airlines Announces Second Phase of Network Review
The Virgin Blue Group of Airlines announced today the second phase of its network review with the introduction of Airbus A330-200 aircraft for its domestic network and an overhaul of its international long haul network.

Two Airbus A330-200 aircraft in May 2011
Announcement with Etihad provides connections to Middle East, UK, Europe, Africa and Asia
V Australia to exit Johannesburg and Phuket routes in February 2011
SYDNEY 26 AUGUST 2010: The Virgin Blue Group of Airlines announced today the second phase of its network review with the introduction of Airbus A330-200 aircraft for its domestic network and an overhaul of its international long haul network.

“This is a major step in our Game Changing Program that will enhance our domestic and international capability by providing wide body aircraft on the transcontinental routes and a gateway to a more comprehensive international long haul network through our new partnership with Etihad,” Virgin Blue Group Chief Executive Officer, John Borghetti, said.

Domestic Network

Mr Borghetti said the introduction of the two Airbus A330-200 would increase the fleet size to 90 aircraft and provide additional flexibility, capacity and product opportunities to better penetrate both the leisure, corporate and government markets.

“The first A330-200s will operate services between Perth and the east coast of Australia enabling Virgin Blue to grow available capacity, especially at peak times, extending the airline’s appeal to business travellers,” he said.

Mr Borghetti said the wide body services would provide Guests with an enhanced in-flight experience and a convenient schedule, connecting seamlessly with the Group’s other domestic and international services.

“The Airbus A330-200 will truly be a game changer. This aircraft type is perfect for growing our fleet and network capabilities,” he added.

International network expands

From February 2011, Virgin Blue will consolidate its international network to two strategic hubs in Los Angeles and Abu Dhabi providing a gateway to a truly international network through partnerships. This is part of the strategic partnership with Etihad also announced today which provides the Virgin Blue Group seamless access to the Middle East; United Kingdom; Europe; Africa and Asia.

“With strategic hubs in Los Angeles and Abu Dhabi we will provide an extensive global network to our corporate and leisure guests.”

V Australia will withdraw from its loss making Boeing 777-300 services to South Africa and Phuket.

“As a minor player on the African route the prospects of achieving a return are remote,” Mr Borghetti said.

“The Phuket service is also sub-optimal for our Boeing 777-300 given our configuration.”

...so it begins!

beaver_rotate
26th Aug 2010, 00:17
Wow I know a few blokes who had VA CRZFO interviews Tuesday and Wednesday this week? Was this a pointless exercise?? If so, bugger :sad:

So what is this now, type No. 4 to the fleet?? I thought 'low cost' airlines were traditionally single-fleet typed. They should really re-name it AN, really. :ok:

bubble.head
26th Aug 2010, 00:26
So much for low cost carrier model structure.

Now the questions are. Who's flying them, and at what price? :ok:

MyerFlyer
26th Aug 2010, 00:36
Good news for Virgin!

Also good news for QF/JQ with no more V Aust on the Phuket and Joberg routes.

Good to see Virgin/Etihad giving Emirates a run for their money on the Australia-Middle East-Europe run.

Thanks

73to91
26th Aug 2010, 01:13
Were some QF Management asleep with regards Etihad and their code share agreement?

So QF/JQ apparently get some good news regarding Phuket & Joberg but wouldn't Virgin have pulled out because they were not getting the loads? So business as usual on those routes whilst missing out on the Etihad relationship.

Anyone else in the ME to get into bed with? Gulf Air perhaps?

Plus- - - does this just show the QF Board that John B is a guy to be taken very seriously indeed when it comes to 'international' operations and his contacts - after all, he has been around a lot longer than AJ & BB.

43Inches
26th Aug 2010, 01:19
So QF/JQ apparently get some good news regarding Phuket & Joberg but wouldn't Virgin have pulled out because they were not getting the loads?
The statement issued in the release regarding Phuket and Fiji more pointed to that the 777 configuration was incorrect for the low cost leisure market. The VOz 777 has premium accommodation which is a waste of aircraft space on these routes.

qantel
26th Aug 2010, 01:23
Suck :mad:QF. "The Airbus A330-200 will truly be a game changer." Damn right it will be.

QF its time to wake up :ugh:.. move that pompous management style out and start thinking like a leader in aviation.

DJ well done!! You deserve to succeed just by testing new markets and challenging you buisness model in creative ways.
:ok:

Wait till they pounce on the CNS market and really show QF (JQ) how its done.

1a sound asleep
26th Aug 2010, 01:34
Roll on the CNS-LAX-CNS weekely service.:mad:

Great news for Virgin Blue. I see some huge success ahead

ozangel
26th Aug 2010, 01:39
I'd assume that product upgrades and some sort of rebranding might appear before the 332 arrives then?

Not to reignite an old debate, but could this be a baby step toward replacing the Embraer and 73 fleet with some 318s, 19s, 20s and 21s? (long term?).

Are there any/many ports worth keeping that the 170/190 goes that the 318 couldnt?

After 6 hours flying time on a packed 737 to bali last night - the widebody will be a godsend on these longer flights.

Capn Bloggs
26th Aug 2010, 01:57
"The Airbus A330-200 will truly be a game changer." Damn right it will be.

QF its time to wake up
I thought QF already had the 332 (and some 333s).

Are there any/many ports worth keeping that the 170/190 goes that the 318 couldnt?

The 318 looks like it has too much metal for too few seats.

43Inches
26th Aug 2010, 01:57
Not to reignite an old debate, but could this be a baby step toward replacing the Embraer and 73 fleet with some 318s, 19s, 20s and 21s? (long term?).

E170s gone next year, more E190s and 737 yet to be delivered. Don't think the 190s or 737 are going anywhere soon from the details in the release.

After 6 hours flying time on a packed 737 to bali last night - the widebody will be a godsend on these longer flights.

Don't think that this will change for a long time as the A330 aquisitions are to increase capacity and comfort on the trunk routes for business markets. They will be fitted out with business class so will not be effective like the 777 on leisure travel routes such as Fiji, Phuket, Bali.

ozangel
26th Aug 2010, 02:29
43inches - true, but even on syd/mel/bne perth though - it's going to make the trip a lot more comfortable.

43Inches
26th Aug 2010, 03:50
Ozangel,

The A330 and route consolidation is a good step in the right direction but the rest of the financials were not as good.

The Domestic underlying profit was $120 million but only $20 million has been during the last 6 months since the stimulus money has worn off.

The $800 million cash position is not from operating revenue but $240M from share issue and further savings on sale and lease back arrangements with new aircraft.

Take out the unusual one off items and profit/cash flow is where it was last year.

Hopefully things do pick up in the economy over the next six months and next year will be a good read.

AirborneSoon
26th Aug 2010, 03:57
I have been praying for a widebody on the PER sector since forever, looks like there is a god afterall.

Taildragger67
26th Aug 2010, 04:20
73to91,

Anyone else in the ME to get into bed with? Gulf Air perhaps?

There's also Qatar, which arguably has a better European network (and product) than Gulf. Doha is building a schmick new airport as well.

However that would be something of a slap in the face to QF's oneworld alliance partner in the ME, namely Royal Jordanian (and it may be that agreements with alliance carriers preclude arrangements with other carriers in a member's region, but that's just speculation on my part).

Oh but QF don't need to do that as soon, you'll be able to get to all those funny places via Singapore on Jetstar, because as Brucey B. said in May, "Southern Europe offered an attractive market and no-one else was really serving that market." :ugh:

scon
26th Aug 2010, 04:37
Didn't see it above so

are these 330's leased / used or new from Airbus? Also will 2 of them be enough or will more be required?

Ramjager
26th Aug 2010, 04:54
Great move by JB..and came at the perfect time with a fully trained group of highly disgruntled guys who will be busting at the chops to fly a big red jet....and stick it to REG.
Nice...:ok:

The Bunglerat
26th Aug 2010, 05:17
An exciting announcement in some respects - and great to finally put an end to all the speculation of the last few months - but, notwithstanding the benefits of a widebody for the punters, as Bubblehead said in his/her post: who gets to fly it, and on what T&C's? That's the next thing on everyones' minds for sure.

inandout
26th Aug 2010, 05:24
Interesting that SYD to LAX is same distance SYD to AUH.
Also as stated before the med haul go to VB on domestic (stated )and PB regional, yet to be called.
With a net profit of only 21m there will not be much shopping this fin year.
VA stay with the 777.
Next will be the names/colours and uniform and new config on the next 737.

ebt
26th Aug 2010, 05:25
According to JB the decision on who flies them has not been made yet, but he ruled out contracting it to Strategic. Seems likely that it will be Virgin Blue crews, but he would not be drawn on talking about industrial relations earlier today.

skybed
26th Aug 2010, 05:41
A332 is a long range aircraft flying between east/west coast??????:sad::confused::confused::confused:

biton
26th Aug 2010, 05:42
JB stated on the last monthly conference call that all domestic flying, including widebody, will be conducted by VB pilots and short/medium international was the domain of Pac Bro. There are apparently several PB crew with upcoming Emirates interviews so this could be interesting. Plenty of VB crew with extensive experience on the A330 who, if the conditions are satisfactory, will be putting their hands up to move onto the widebody fleet. It could possibly create some movement on the 737 and E-jet fleets. That's me being positive :hmm:

ja ja binx
26th Aug 2010, 05:43
JB told the pilots via telephone conference last week that any widebody jet that is operated domestically, will be crewed by VB domestic pilots.
As for the pay.. VB pilots operated under an EBA, therefore a wage will have to be negotiated.
Interesting times.

Tangan
26th Aug 2010, 05:46
Ramjager.......Shame, Shame, Shame.

Your post speaks volumes for the newfound 'Solidarity" or lack there of, in the Australian pilot ranks.

For the past week there has been endless well-meant comment on the need for pilot solidarity in the face of JQ's and PB's push to move in and undercut our conditions, but as soon as a VB wide-body is mentioned cheers go up at the ill-informed, perception that disgruntled JQ pilots may have of the opportunity to stifle career progression at VB.

This is a prime example of the selfish, self-centred attitudes that undermine the future of pilot careers in Australia

chockchucker
26th Aug 2010, 06:16
I'd like to know who's going to maintain these A330's? Doesn't leave VB Engineering long to ramp up and train some of their LAME's on the 330.

Or is JHAS lurking behind the scenes?

AirborneSoon
26th Aug 2010, 06:22
A332 is a long range aircraft flying between east/west coast?????

How many short range aircraft seat 300 pax?

psycho joe
26th Aug 2010, 06:28
According to JB the decision on who flies them has not been made yet, but he ruled out contracting it to Strategic.

...Unless of course they're cheaper than VB pilots.

Going Boeing
26th Aug 2010, 08:40
The decision to buy the A330 is interesting. Anecdotally, the A330 is relatively cheap to purchase which makes them attractive and the aircraft is well suited to the East - West coast routes but if DJ requires widebody aircraft for short sector ops on the East coast Golden Triangle routes, it is not ideal. As QF has found out, the B767 is superior on the shorter sectors due to a number of reasons that have been previously detailed on this forum. Obviously, DJ wouldn't want to purchase another type so they may have to shoehorn the A332 onto routes that it doesn't perform as well.

The tie-up with Etihad is interesting as I understand that QF currently codeshares on some Etihad services.

ozbiggles
26th Aug 2010, 08:47
Might be a cost and availability thing?
Or the elephant in the room, maybe a future A350 instead of 787 thing (now that is long term rumour).

porch monkey
26th Aug 2010, 09:26
Couple of points. A330's because price and availability. Boeing couldn't/wouldn't deliver 767. Strange, but there you go. As said above, domestic is the domain of the VB crews. Outside that, PB. Pilots being pilots, the foolish will crawl over each other to ride the widebody. Lowest bidder wins of course. Remind me again what we were fighting for? Standby for a ****fight people.

43Inches
26th Aug 2010, 09:30
As QF has found out, the B767 is superior on the shorter sectors due to a number of reasons that have been previously detailed on this forum.
That must be why QF announced that as the 787 arrives into Jetstar the QF 767 will be phased out and replaced by the A330, this means all the east coast routes in QF will be served by the A330.

Going Boeing
26th Aug 2010, 09:39
43", yes the JQ A332's are planned to replace B767's as they are returned from JQ but there are 26 B763's at present and some are relatively "young". The A332's will progressively take over all the longer sectors leaving the SYD-MEL-SYD & SYD-BNE-SYD sectors to be the last transferred to the "bus".

The Bunglerat
26th Aug 2010, 11:04
Pilots being pilots, the foolish will crawl over each other to ride the widebody.

Porch Monkey, Yours Truly is one VB driver (already A330 endorsed, by the way) who won't be crawling, jumping over, or getting rogered by anyone to fly it - unless T&C's are better than what I enjoy right now. Whilst I'm certainly excited by the possibility of getting back on the 'Bus, I'm not that desperate. As for the rest of my colleagues, who knows...

birdyzone
26th Aug 2010, 11:24
The Bunglerat

Here is the problem in Australian Aviation
"unless T&C's are at least equal to"

You have just said you will fly a 330 on 737 conditions.
This is a very sad for the future of conditions within VB and if you succeed you will even undercut Jetstar 330 ops.
Please tell me this is not true:ugh:

kimir
26th Aug 2010, 11:41
Tangan said it a few posts back. I agree. Ramjager - Shame. Stick together, yeah right. You are forgiven for being enthusiastic. We showed up and supported you j* boys. Wasn't our party but as I see it, it is our fight as australian pilots to improve conditions. J* pilots hold fast, don't jump ship and sort your own sh*t out. We will do our best to hold the flood gates and accept a decent offer. I would expect at least 30 %+ more $$$ would be a starting point minimum. I don't hold my breath. Maybe that will give your management less leverage.

Clipster
26th Aug 2010, 11:55
pilot unity is a good thing at a meeting but it's important on this website too. You guys wouldn't talk to each other like this on the crew bus so let's try not to attack each other. Maybe if someone says something ridiculous then ignore it or give em the benefit of the doubt.

I would doubt ramjager is an actual jet* pilot but if so then he would be a very rare exception. (or maybe he just had a few lunch time beers)

bubble.head
26th Aug 2010, 12:11
43", yes the JQ A332's are planned to replace B767's as they are returned from JQ but there are 26 B763's at present and some are relatively "young". The A332's will progressively take over all the longer sectors leaving the SYD-MEL-SYD & SYD-BNE-SYD sectors to be the last transferred to the "bus".

Maybe the shorter sectors (SY-ML / SY - BN) will be taken up by the C series jets from Qantaslink... maybe......:}

kimir
26th Aug 2010, 12:52
Clipster, i did say i forgave him for being enthusiastic! And yes if we were on the crew bus and he was talking nonsense then I would talk to him like that. I do agree that unity is a good thing. That was my point.

The Green Goblin
26th Aug 2010, 18:12
I thought this was never going to happen Roxy???

Struck out again :ouch:

Nice one for VB, would have loved to see some boeings but a couple of A330s to play with is not something to sneeze at either.

CabinCrew747
26th Aug 2010, 18:31
I feel that only having 2 A330s in the fleet may cause significant issues in the future. For instance, if one goes tech or is due for maintenance. I also find the lack of fleet commonality may cause issues for the company;

E190
A332

That's quite a varied fleet for a relatively small carrier.

Additionally, customers may be losing faith in the company due to all the recent swapping and changing, especially V Aus corporate clients. The company can't really be relied on after cutting JNB, HKT and Fiji after such short periods of operation. Even if some of these routes where never meant to be long term, business customers may not appreciate it.

CabinCrew747

The Bunglerat
26th Aug 2010, 20:08
Here is the problem in Australian Aviation
"unless T&C's are at least equal to"

Birdyzone, you are quite right. What I should have simply said was: "Better than." Consider it a slip of the tongue.

For the record, I am not interested if T&C's are the same as far as base salary is concerned, as I might as well stay exactly where I am - & save myself the grief of refresher training, check to line, being a guinea pig for new type, etc. That said, I've always been a "big picture" person - & my remark about conditions being 'equal to or better than' was not meant to imply that I would fly a bigger aeroplane for the same dollars I'm on now; but with regard to things like days off, meal allowances, etc, I would accept conditions equal to what I currently enjoy. Even so, bigger aeroplane = more $$$, & you won't get any disagreement from me there. It's just that base salary is only one of numerous variables, & let's face it - right now there's nothing on the table yet, so as usual it's all speculation for now.

Bill Lear
26th Aug 2010, 22:54
Hi there,

Cabin Crew 747, remember Phucket, Joberg and Feegee were decisions made during the God-Free reign. Just a few to add to the stellar list.:}:ok:

VBPCGUY
26th Aug 2010, 23:26
Pretty good moves for mine, Im looking forward to handling the A332's. I think 2 is what could eventually out to be 10-15 the beginning at the moment. E170's gone next year, 3 more E190's coming:ok:

AirborneSoon
26th Aug 2010, 23:34
Additionally, customers may be losing faith in the company due to all the recent swapping and changing, especially V Aus corporate clients. The company can't really be relied on after cutting JNB, HKT and Fiji after such short periods of operation. Even if some of these routes where never meant to be long term, business customers may not appreciate it.

I disagree, as biz travellers don't give care about fiji, phuket and possibly Joberg they probably won't even notice the changes let alone be affected by them. I think the network realignment was a smart and necessary decision. The destinations being cut are hardly hubs for onward travel and were always going to be limited in their profitability. I'm very happy to see the 777 being put to good use. We only have a few of those planes so to spread across 2 destinations only is a good idea for service recovery. Better to have decent frequency to a useful destination than 2 services a week to a resort no-one wants to visit.

piston broke again
26th Aug 2010, 23:37
I must admit, it makes nice change everyone waving and giving each other courtesy since the meeting. VB, QF and JQ! Good to see. :D

EW73
27th Aug 2010, 02:51
There goes VB...

One of the main considerations I have when either, one of my family or myself fly within Australia, is that I always know it will be operated by a Boeing.

If that situation changes, VB will be no better off than all the others.

404 Titan
27th Aug 2010, 03:13
EW73

I gather then you have trouble telling the difference between a B737 and an E170/190. DJ has been operating the Brazilian Jungle Jet for a number of years now.

If you truly base your decision on which airline you fly with because they fly Boeing rather than Airbus it indicates to me you are living in a delusion. Both aircraft manufacturers build very good aircraft as evidenced in their sales numbers.

1a sound asleep
27th Aug 2010, 06:55
VB WARNING

Dont end up like AN with 123 different a/c types and end up complicating things

Remember - B767-200/B767-300ER/B737-300/A320-200/BAe-146-200/CRJ/B727

F111
27th Aug 2010, 07:20
Why does everyone keep bringing up Ansett's fleet types, what about Qantas. At the time Ansett fell over QF had 733,734,738, 762, 763, 743 and 744 with A380's and A330 on order. If you include their Qlink ops and Impulse you can add the Dash 8 and 717.

If you look at QF now, they have the 734, 738, 763, 744, A330 and A380. Throw in the Qlink op and they have the Dash 8 and 717. With Jetstar having A320 and A330's.

Virgins fleet will be 190 (doing the long thin routes), 737/738 doing most of the domestic routes, A330 operating East coast west coast, the golden triangle and perhaps into Asia and the 777 doing the long haul stuff. 4 types operating on routes that suite each type. The only change I see would be the addition of a turboprop to go head to head with Qlink on regional routes in NSW and QLD.

tourismman
27th Aug 2010, 08:36
The Australian Financial Review stated it understands that Virgin Blue will take on a further 5 A330-200's from Emirates making a total of 7.

neville_nobody
27th Aug 2010, 13:45
Ask someone who has flown it and I doubt you would find anyone who hasn't loved it.

There would be a particular QF crew who aren't the biggest fans of the aircraft....staring at the ocean whilst you are pulling full back on the sidestick doesn't inspire confidence in ones machine:}

mrdeux
27th Aug 2010, 13:55
Ask someone who has flown it and I doubt you would find anyone who hasn't loved it.Well, actually I know quite a few people who flew it, and then jumped back onto a Boeing at the first opportunity. Most of them have little good to say about it.

BTW, I fly AB.

Dora-9
27th Aug 2010, 20:45
I flew for an airline with large fleets of both B777's and A330's.

To a man, the Boeing guys loved their aeroplane; the most favourable Airbus comment I ever got was a very dry "it's OK, I guess".

Go figure!

43Inches
27th Aug 2010, 21:52
Based on statistics of aircraft that have significant flight hours vs accidents the safest aircraft is the 777, followed by the A340 and then the A320 family. If you only take into account the 737 600-900 model then it comes next, although that doesn't take into account the 3 accidents this year involving the type. If you include all 737 types number four is the SAAB 340. The 767 and A330 are about even now with the latest accidents down the list with the other similar sized aircraft.

Interesting that a 30 year old turboprop design beats all its regional jet competitors (CRJ, ERJ) for safety and cost.

If you dig deeper into the statistics and compare accidents caused by an actual aircraft system fault other than pilot error or external factor the A320 is much safer than the 737 and the A330 and 767 are still about even.

Mr. Hat
27th Aug 2010, 22:55
crawl over each other to ride the widebody.

If there is one thing you can say about the senior guys at VB is that they won't do this. They told Swift to jam his 777. Mr. Hat tips his Hat to that!

Money and conditions talk. Big aeroplanes are great but only when they come with commensurate pay and conditions. A fair days pay for a fair days work. Noones trying to get rich out of flying we just want to try and keep up with plumbers and electricians.

Normasars
28th Aug 2010, 01:40
Hat,

if you are trying to keep up with Plumbers and Sparky's, I would advice you give flying away now. These guys don't go and cut each others lunch. Their bosses are not warning them of the Chicken Little stuff and the garbage about commercial pressures etc etc. The tradies just jack their prices up and pass it on to the customer. We, as the customer, have no choice but to pay extra. Quite easy really.

rmcdonal
28th Aug 2010, 02:26
E170's gone next year, Can they get the E190 into YPMQ? Or will they drop the Port?

nitpicker330
28th Aug 2010, 02:52
I've flown both and let me tell you the Airbus ain't no 777:{

Airbus:--
Sidestick: good but needs feedback to make it better
Thrust levers: how they got away with them not moving and giving ZERO feeback is a mystery.
Table: good
Seats: more comfortable without the cutout for the yoke in the Boeing
Noise: going a bit slower and is quieter
Airflow in Cockpit: controlled better than the drafty 777
Fuel system: Holy crap batman
ECAM: Crap
QRH: Jesus where do I start
EFIS: Crap and too small for old farts to see!!
FCU: needlessly complicated modes.
Landing gear: the first touchdown is on you, the second is on Airbus and is a real pain in the ass!!
Speed stability: what speed stability!!

Boeing:
Yokes: move together like a REAL Aircraft and so do the Thrust levers, much easier while flying yourself AND more importantly monitoring while the F/O flies. You can see what he's doing much clearer before it may be too late to fix a stuff up. Especially in the Flare!!
Electronic checklist: wonderful and unlike the ECAM it works
EFIS: big bright clear uncluttered screens
Overhead panel: nice big switches/PB's, uncluttered layout simple to see
Fuel system: built for dummies to run
Landing Gear: Nice soft Landings easy to achieve most landings
Load carrying: way ahead, actually can carry Pax AND Freight at the same time
System redundancy: much better on the 777

This is just a few things that spring to mind immediately.
At the end of the day the Bus is "ok I guess" ( as one person quoted above ) it gets the job done.

Captain Dart
28th Aug 2010, 04:06
A real 'QANTAS killer' would be introduction of a business class and a re-brand as Ansett :}!

nitpicker330
28th Aug 2010, 06:17
Yes, we all hope the A350 is a big improvement over the 330.

THRidle
28th Aug 2010, 06:53
Hey guys, can we get away from the 330 Vs 777 ( my dad can beat your dad ) syndrome and back to the "Vibe" of this thread. :ok:

inandout
28th Aug 2010, 07:48
So more than two 330 coming to VB for domestic and more 737 into Asia from Australia. The latter not sure if that's for VB or PB.
Any one like to call who the tie will be in Asia. I guess it would have to be out of Darwin, Perth or Cairns or all three.
Smart moves from JB so far.
Consolidation for VA.

airtags
28th Aug 2010, 08:07
Back to the topic and forgetting the perpetual bus v boeing debate....

Vaus pulls out of its short hop routes & Africa,
- Virgin Holdings Limited who in applications refers to itself as the Virgin Group, uses its Pacific Blue Aust P/L entity to apply for capacity on other routes such as Indonesia, using the generic name 'Pacific Blue Airlines'.

With the bulk of 737 international flying being done by DJ under an intercompany wet leases that also includes Pac Blue NZ, it would appear that a full re-branding may well be higher on the agenda than indicated.

Also quite a bit of movement on the share front. - let's hope it all means jobs for Australian pilots and crew ..................and the JQ disease does not spread.

AT
:E

Mr. Hat
28th Aug 2010, 08:12
Normasars, already worked in trade - thanks but no thanks. Not my cup of tea.

ETOPS-180
29th Aug 2010, 07:47
Just remember kiddies that the A332 goes a lot further then a A333, remember QF making that mistake..l can see JB going into asia with these scarebus's, don't QF do AKL-LAX in the A332 just think about that couch riders :ugh:

Mr. Hat
29th Aug 2010, 08:00
Make sure you have a crew rest. Not like the old J Class seat jobby!

ETOPS-180
29th Aug 2010, 08:07
I bet you they WON'T have a tech crew rest, l bet a slab of beer the winner's choice..l'm quessing Asahi beer....:ok:

Oldmate
29th Aug 2010, 08:08
As a first move for JB I think it shows he has done some homework and given some serious thought to what might make money.

Is Voz planning to operate east cost Australia to Abu Dhabi in competition to the current Ethihad services, or is some kind of consolidation planned there?

Red Jet
29th Aug 2010, 10:13
Oldmate says....... or is some kind of consolidation planned there?
It is a full codeshare being planned, with VOZ operating 3 weekly services from Sydney to Abu Dhabi, and Etihad operating 9.

From Feb. 2012, 3 weekly services (operated by aircraft 6 for VOZ) between BNE & Abu Dhabi is announced.

Not the most exciting destination for the Crew, but should make V Australia financially viable and increase the chances that the 6 aircraft options will be exercised in the future. The distance from Australias East Coast to the Middle East is ideal for the -300ER, being the same as Sydney - LAX.

VBPCGUY
29th Aug 2010, 10:53
What is freight like between AUH-SYD/BNE??? On any further deliveries are they increasing the size of the rear hold door to take larger pallets, or that cant be changed?

porch monkey
29th Aug 2010, 23:24
Can't really change it now. No more VB wetleasing for PB, (or so they hope). For those who don't think some will crawl over broken glass for the widebody, keep watching. The positioning has already started.......:ugh:

The The
29th Aug 2010, 23:45
Anyone know why DJ chose A330-200's rather than the 300's?

It doesn't seem like they are planning on any real long-range flying where it would require the range of the 200's.

I would have thought the 300's would be better for domestic ops with the higher pax capacity.

Is it just down to availability of the 200's?

It also appears QF like the 200's better for domestic ops as the newest domestic config A330's are all 200's. Better resale perhaps?

1a sound asleep
30th Aug 2010, 00:43
A330-200's are cheaper than the 300 - both in leasing costs and fuel burn. They are versatile and can be used on different routes if needed. They are closer to the 763 that they initially looked at - Way easier to make money with the 200 than the 300

markis10
30th Aug 2010, 01:12
Wonder where they are going to part the heavies when they get to PER, bays 600/601?

AirborneSoon
30th Aug 2010, 01:35
I'm pretty convinced that domestic ops will not be the only use for these new babies. If you can't buy lots of aircraft then you'll want to make sure the ones you do buy are multi-use. Medium haul international will be my guess. A hop over to Perth then next stop SE Asia.:ok:

Anthill
30th Aug 2010, 02:21
This recent code-share strategy is similar to that adopted by Ansett 15 years ago, with some success. Ansett entered into a set of code share agreements with United, Air NZ, ANA and Malaysia so as to counter the QF/BA tie-up and gain a greater share of business travel; QF having the obvious advantage in size of overall network.

halas
30th Aug 2010, 08:23
Anthill, That's probably one of the main reasons why AN sank, or were sunk.

halas

Mr. Hat
30th Aug 2010, 09:11
ah the old VB AN comparison,

Let me guess should just stick with 73's and nothing else. Here we go..

topend3
30th Aug 2010, 10:26
Wonder where they are going to part the heavies when they get to PER, bays 600/601?

I think T3 may be getting a reconfiguration with wide-body aerobridges. Will have to, as there is nowhere else to park them...