PDA

View Full Version : Debating Rules - Weird

notmyC150v2
26th Aug 2010, 00:39
My 11 year old son has joined the school debating team and is doing quite well so far. They are currently 2 - 0.

What I have noticed though is that there are some very bizarre rules associated with, what I thought, was a very straight forward process. For example did you know that in these formal debates you are not allowed to mention Hitler?

That one cost the other school's team two points and a win last week. There is no objection however to mentioning Stalin (AFAIK) or Idi Amin.

They also get marked down if they don't make eye contact with the audience but they don't get marked down if their arguement is crap.

I understand that comparing someone to Hitler or saying that so and so isn't bad compared to Hitler is just being lazy but if the content of the argument doesn't matter then why this rule???

Any debaters out there with any ideas?

SoulManBand
26th Aug 2010, 00:55
Do they have one of these http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/avatars/th_banned.gif?

Pugilistic Animus
26th Aug 2010, 00:59
For example did you know that in these formal debates you are not allowed to mention Hitler?

perhaps he's too cliche and tired...but,

the PpruNe JB team will lose for sure:}

or,

I guess it's more important to stage an agenda and drag old tired party lines out than debate and come to a conclusion...I think ---never mind:oh:

pigboat
26th Aug 2010, 01:14
Godwin's law. Pity it couldn't be used on JB more often. ;)

Bruce Wayne
26th Aug 2010, 08:19
sounds a bit like Hitler's methodology for argument..

Good oration, [email protected] premise.

:p

green granite
26th Aug 2010, 08:31
Perhaps you should write to the school suggesting a subject for debate........ "Why does this house think that while it is perfectly acceptable to mention one despot, Stalin, It is not permitted to mention another, Hitler."

sea oxen
26th Aug 2010, 08:39
They sound like fascists to me.

SO
coat, hat

HKPAX
26th Aug 2010, 10:04
Requires great skill if the debate is about the causes of the second world war.....