PDA

View Full Version : good news for freightdogs!

Flying Mechanic
25th Aug 2010, 18:23
Kalitta is buying the stored Northwest 747-200F fleet in Marana. I would guess not all 12 are going to be flying - some will likely be cut up for parts.
Good news the the classics are leaving the desert!.

BigJoeRice
25th Aug 2010, 19:16
Outstanding news indeed - unless that pox on the world of aviation 6718 is returning to flight, in which case I'd advise Kallita to stock up on MEL stickers.

Bruce Wayne
25th Aug 2010, 20:32
i looked at the 12 aircraft and have the data packs on them.. more like good news for evergreen.. :oh:

GlueBall
26th Aug 2010, 03:10
Presumably the classics just won't be going away any time soon; it's like the modern day DC-3 . . . built to last! For those operators who can't fork over $60 million for a second-hand -400; a $20 million classic can pack a wallop and fly long haul at still reasonable cost.

CargoOne
26th Aug 2010, 09:01
A $20m classic? You mean a fleet price then, not an airframe...

WhaleDriver
26th Aug 2010, 14:37
The Classics are one Airworthiness Directive (AD) from being economically unviable. Since Boeing no longer supports the Classic, the carriers would be on their own. It's a roll of the dice to pick these up. Connie has been good at it so far.

SNS3Guppy
27th Aug 2010, 02:54
Kalitta does quite a bit that doesn't have Boeing support. That is, where Boeing won't provide the technical support, Kalitta employs engineers and designated engineering representatives and designated airworthiness representatives to handle it directly, based on FAA approvals.

The classic is far from being economically non-viable.

Kalitta maintains a large store of spare airframes and powerplants, as well as maintaining a substantial shop. The company also handles outside work for competitors and other vendors.

GlueBall
1st Sep 2010, 15:27
Someone refresh my memory: Besides the digital glass cockpit, carbon disc brakes, etc. . . isn't it true that the classic airframe and its systems are at least 80% identical? Some classics even have -400 engines [CF-6-80] and faired (-400) wing roots, notwithstanding that the -400 wing is larger with 13 leading edge flaps instead of 12, but same parts, no doubt. And not to forget that Air Force 1 and Air Force 2 are classics, so I seriously doubt that Boeing would categorically "no longer support the classic." All the best to you classic drivers [and F/Es] in the years to come. :ok:

Willit Run
1st Sep 2010, 17:50
I think what Boeing is not suporting, is the -100's