PDA

View Full Version : Does Killing Always Lead to Death?

girl with a stick
25th Aug 2010, 02:03
Doing a spot of house work this morning, I noticed that my household bleach claims to "kill all known germs dead"

I've spent the morning mopping and pondering: is there any other kind of killing, perhaps one that doesn't lead to death?

GWaS

SASless
25th Aug 2010, 02:40
Killing does not always lead to death of the killer.

fernytickles
25th Aug 2010, 02:51
House work? :eek:

Isn't that why leaf blowers were invented :E

RJM
25th Aug 2010, 03:06
Note that this stuff makes no claims about any creepy 'unknown' germs ...

Tigs2
25th Aug 2010, 04:10
Isn't that why leaf blowers were invented

It's hard to use a leaf blower to clean the skid marks off the toilet though!

11Fan
25th Aug 2010, 04:22
Well, I killed some time reading this thread.

sitigeltfel
25th Aug 2010, 05:31
If I do not "know" any germs, will they survive?

treadigraph
25th Aug 2010, 07:15
It's hard to use a leaf blower to clean the skid marks off the toilet though!

A sand blaster will do it though.

Blacksheep
25th Aug 2010, 07:32
Domestos used to claim that it killed 99% of household germs. I figured that the 1% that it couldn't kill were the ones you really had to worry about. :uhoh:

MagnusP
25th Aug 2010, 08:27
If I do not "know" any germs

Would that be in the biblical sense?

Rather be Gardening
25th Aug 2010, 08:27
Not if you're undead to start with. Probably bleach manufacturer's lawyers pointed out that it couldn't be guaranteed against vampire germs, so it was best to be quite specific as to what sort of demise was envisaged.

http://www.dreamstime.com/cartoon-virus-germ-bacteria--largethumb3234482.jpg

tony draper
25th Aug 2010, 08:40
I can remember when Domestos was strong enough to dissolve a building brick in three minutes,weak as piss it be now,they were obliged to water it down because a few feckwits drank the stuff, interestingly we are said to be related on me fathers side to the bloke who invented Domestos and Sturgene(sp) ,one has never bothered chasing this up though,I mean what would I do with a few more millions.
:)

teeteringhead
25th Aug 2010, 09:02
Many years ago a chum of mine (RIP long since :() was ADC to the Governor in the Solomon Islands, where the locals - at least to the Brits - spoke pidgin.

One of the gardeners at Government House asked for time off, saying "Brother belong me - him dead". Time off duly given - more or less open ended, with much sympathy.

Hence surprise to see gardener happily gardening the following day. When questioned about funerals, families etc, confused gardener replies: "Brother belong me OK - him dead, not dead finish!"

Turns out (at least in Solomon Islands pidgin circa 1973):

dead=poorly

dead finish=dead

..... amazing what you can find on JB........

Cacophonix
25th Aug 2010, 09:37
"kill all known germs dead"

Very Irish turn of phrase.

Once had an Irish teacher who told me I was blackguard who deserved to be killed a thousand times dead. Clearly he moved onto into the marketing arena. :ok:

Checkboard
25th Aug 2010, 09:37
It is said (and proven on Mythbusters) that the chopping board in the kitchen has more bacteria than the toilet. (.. and computer keyboards are worse than both put together!)

Now I don't use bleach on my chopping board, never have, never gotten sick.

So if the toilet is cleaner than that - there is no need to use bleach. So I don't.

Of course, the wife might point out that I don't do much in the way of domestic cleaning in any case .... ;)

OFSO
25th Aug 2010, 09:56
Little Jack picked up the container of disinfectant here in Spain, read "Kills 99% of al known germs" and asked his mother the obvious question: "what about the other 1% ?" She asked Mr and Mrs OFSO and I had to confess: no idea.

Good question, GWaS

tony draper
25th Aug 2010, 10:17
One of the reason the generations that have followed mine are such weedy disease prone milksops is they dont get enough good honest muck and germs down their necks when their immune systems are developing,sprogs should be encouraged to get grubby make mud pies and play in the gutters like we did,builds up their resistance it do.
:rolleyes:

Blacksheep
25th Aug 2010, 11:13
Dad was a Sampler at ICI (Today, once equipped with Hi-Viz, safety boots and hard hat, he'd be called a Quality Assurance Inspector). He would often bring home samples for "sustained field testing". Thus, Agricultural Division fertilised our allotment and Titan Products painted the house. One day Dad brought home a vast carboy of bleach. It smelled like Domestos but was thick like glue. Mam poured some into the toilet bowl and was very satisfied with the result. "Champion!" she cried ,"Its clean enough to eat your cornflakes out of it". I declined and used my usual bowl. The one with Rupert the Bear on the rim. Inevitably, disaster struck. The carboy was shattered. In the back yard. Mam and Dad are gone now and the house is sold, yet the backyard remains forever the whitest backyard in Britain. Probably in the whole world. And no-one will ever get the fever from our old drains.

tony draper
25th Aug 2010, 11:30
In my sproghood pottering aout with me chemistry set and proper strong Domestos I managed to make some chlorine gas least I think it was chlorine gas it were green and it gave me a bad cough for a month could have been Mustard gas, tiz fortunate for humanity that I could not remember what chemicals I had added to the Domestos in the flask.
:uhoh:

Ancient Observer
25th Aug 2010, 11:33
Titan Products? Was that ever an ICI brand? Never heard of them. I thought they'd always called it Dulux.

As to the back yards, there are also a fair few clean ones in Runcorn, where they made the CL2 and the hypo.

On the original question, it is indeed a good question. If you have killed something, I think it is dead. If you are killing it, it is not necessarily dead, but the intention is there. As to a product, does it say it will kill, subject to all sorts of qualifications?

There's probably a lawyer out there, right now, trying to make money out of this important question..

Blacksheep
25th Aug 2010, 11:45
The product was (is) called Dulux. The manufacturer is ICI and the plant at the Billingham ICI site was called British Titan Products - they made other stuff apart from paint; solvents, sealants and such like. Agricultural Division is long gone; exported lock, stock and barrel to India. The Nylon went south of the river to the Wilton site after the nylon polymer plant exploded. Sulphuric Acid went for environmental reasons - probably also to India. The anhydrite mine was closed due to lack of demand. There's nowt left at Billingham except British Titan, but the site is so polluted they can't use it for anything else.

Whole families were employed at ICI - there was only one right aswer to the interview question "Does any of your family work at ICI?" I gave the right answer but turned the apprenticeship down and took the RAF one.

Ancient Observer
25th Aug 2010, 11:54
BTP - was that Tioxide? Now owned by either the Yanks, or a hedge fund.
The final product that the consumer uses was never made at Billingham - stuff for the hoi polloi was far to common for the Billingham/Ag Div folk.
Allegedly, the Rec club was the biggest pub in Britain?

Blacksheep
25th Aug 2010, 12:36
Ah the Billingham Synthonia! Not just a pub, probably the biggest Working Men's Club in Britain. The Synthonia running track/stadium was even used for international athletics events.

Most of what came out of Billingham seemed to be raw material for other places to finish. With the demise of Billingham and the end of steel production the sun now shines on Teesside and the Cleveland Hills are clearly visible from Norton. They never emerged from the clag until the bus reached Marton when I were a lad. Dead posh was (is) Marton. Marton folk could even open their windows... :rolleyes:

mtoroshanga
25th Aug 2010, 13:47
In Nigeria when some one has died they say he is late ie"Freddie is late Boss". This can lead to some interesting conversations like when I replied that he should take a motorbike taxi tomorrow!!