PDA

View Full Version : idiot driver hits a bridge

Bruce Wayne
24th Aug 2010, 14:17
he survived !

iOSOMiGNKlo&feature=player_embedded

rgbrock1
24th Aug 2010, 14:30
I can't see how anyone could have survived that uncontrolled crash into bridge.
Must have been drunk!

green granite
24th Aug 2010, 14:40
Or fell asleep or had a tyre blow out or on a high etc.

Loose rivets
24th Aug 2010, 14:43
Bloke on the right did a nice bit of avoiding given he'd have had to be monitoring slightly behind.

Armco didn't seem to do much but launch him into the air.

Ancient Mariner
24th Aug 2010, 15:17
So who's that idiot with a camera occupying the left lane?
Per

Tigs2
24th Aug 2010, 15:36
Was the camera on an emergency services vehicle?

I can only assume he survived because the car turned 90deg nose left, therefore taking the driver away from the side of the vehicle that impacted the concrete. I would have thought a broken neck would have been in order though. Lucky lucky fella. he won't do that again (well not in that car anyway! :) )

lomapaseo
24th Aug 2010, 16:29
So who's that idiot with a camera occupying the left lane?
Per

You need to watch more "reality TV shows" :)

Typical state police dash board camera.

We will probably find out that they had been trying to box this guy in with a pursuit vehicle in the rear, looking for a shot at a pitman manuever etc. and the vehicle in the front attempting to warn traffic in the lane ahead while at the same time slowing down to give the pursuit in the back an opportunity to box the guy somehow.

Perhaps we will see the other chase car's dashboard camera as well

11Fan
24th Aug 2010, 16:31
Looks like "The Bandit" finally got "smoked"

mixture
24th Aug 2010, 17:01
opportunity to box the guy somehow.

A coffin seems to be their box of preference ? :E

Saintsman
24th Aug 2010, 17:19
Did he move to Cornwall?

Man dies trying to leap 30ft across Cornwall harbour in Rover hatchback | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1305336/Man-dies-trying-leap-30ft-Cornwall-harbour-Rover-hatchback.html)

11Fan
24th Aug 2010, 17:39
Missed it by....this much.

con-pilot
24th Aug 2010, 19:43
We will probably find out that they had been trying to box this guy in with a pursuit vehicle in the rear, looking for a shot at a pitman manuever etc. and the vehicle in the front attempting to warn traffic in the lane ahead while at the same time slowing down to give the pursuit in the back an opportunity to box the guy somehow.

I heard that the Highway Patrol car that the video camera was in, was on a call about a tire that had been reported lying on one of the lanes of the highway. The trooper had no warning and was shocked when the teenager went flying by him at nearly 100 mph.

So my guess is that the idiot kid was hauling butt down the road, passed the cop and panicked.

And Darwin almost had another victim.

sisemen
25th Aug 2010, 02:58
Interesting that at 1min25 secs it shows a piece of debris in the emergency lane. Would that have been the cause of a tyre blow-out?

FLCH
25th Aug 2010, 13:18
Maybe the kid thought he was in a Firebird XL5 ??

Ancient Mariner
25th Aug 2010, 13:37
lomapaseo:
You need to watch more "reality TV shows"

I hardly watch TV at all and "reality TV shows" are definitely off my radar. I get a bit ticket off by cars hugging the left lane, one of the reasons driving in the USoA becomes a tiny bit annoying at times.
Per

rgbrock1
25th Aug 2010, 13:42
Ancient:

Most of the car drivers you've witness hogging the left lane, usually doing about 25mph in a 65mph zone, are predominately driven by:

http://www.zanderchance.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/old-drivers.jpg

Or, worse, by:

http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/2008/02/large_driving.jpg

Which is one of the reasons why I wish my car was equipped with a surface-to-surface missile, or two. Or three. Or four........

Ancient Observer
25th Aug 2010, 13:50
Nope.
Surface to surface missiles create a mess that you then have to avoid. In fact, most man made solutions to that problem can cause similar problems.
I like to imagine a giant fly swat, gently eased under the offending car, which when lifted briskly catapult said car right out of the way.

rgbrock1
25th Aug 2010, 13:56
Ancient:

I like the fly swatter idea. Or, how about a roving platoon of giant-sized magnets? Which hover above the highway looking for the "afflicted ones" in the left-hand lane. Catching one roaring along at 15mph causes a giant magnet to descend upon the culprit, lifting the target vehicle off the highway and depositing it where it rightfully belongs: in the local lake. :ok:

Davaar
25th Aug 2010, 14:09
The problem is clear enough. He was thinking outside the box.

lomapaseo
25th Aug 2010, 15:22
rgbrock1

Did you mix a left hand drive car with a right hand drive car in your two pictures above:confused:

rgbrock1
25th Aug 2010, 15:25
lomapaseo:

I guess I did. I hadn't even noticed.

I guess you can call this an example of equal opportunity, no?!!! :}:}

visibility3miles
25th Aug 2010, 16:02
Did he hit the bridge by accident or not? Many "solo driver smashes into overpass and dies" are suicides.

YouTube yanked the video.

Then again, at 19, foolish is a strong possibility.

Mr Eden was thrown clear of the Firebird and was conscious when Greene County paramedics arrived.

However, he was airlifted to Miami [Ohio] Valley Hospital and remains in a critical condition.
A teenager survived a 100mph crash in a Pontiac Firebird | Metro.co.uk (http://www.metro.co.uk/news/839035-a-teenager-survived-a-100mph-crash-in-a-pontiac-firebird)

lomapaseo
25th Aug 2010, 16:11
YouTube yanked the video.

well I'll be ??

It was all over the TV news shows so I wonder why it was pulled?

Good thing I have my own copy now :)

Davaar
25th Aug 2010, 16:14
Good to hear from you, "visibility". I suppose a contribution from "ceiling" is too much to hope for.

lomapaseo
25th Aug 2010, 16:18
re: switched right hand and left hand drive car photos above

I guess I did. I hadn't even noticed.

I guess you can call this an example of equal opportunity, no?!!! http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/badteeth.gif

I wonder what would happen if they did that in the Reality TV show "Bait Car" where the local Barney Fifes plant nice looking cars to be stolen with the perps looking into dashboard TVs cameras of their faces.

Ancient Observer
25th Aug 2010, 16:27
rgbrock1
Only if I get to control the magnets.
AO

Pugilistic Animus
25th Aug 2010, 17:25
All of these drivers are Muppets!!!:rolleyes:

V2-OMG!
25th Aug 2010, 18:14
Was there icing on his -- oh, pardon me. That was Air Florida. :(

visibility3miles
25th Aug 2010, 21:39
The truly scary thing is that I'm the parent of a teenage boy. We meant to get around to driving lessons this summer, but didn't.

Does anyone have advice about putting a speed governor in a car? Say a humvee with a max speed of 40 mph or so?

Do as I say, not as I do.

As I get older, I begin to understand why my mother's hair turned gray at a fairly early age. She'd flown through the windshield of a car her dad drove when a drunk driver crossed the centerline, so was a white-knuckled passenger when I was behind the wheel for a long time. :eek: