PDA

View Full Version : Oil & Gas UK Video

212man
24th Aug 2010, 07:03
Not sure if any of you have seen this - one or two ppruners in amongst the 'stars' :ok:

Commuting by Air DVD - Oil & Gas UK (http://www.oilandgasuk.co.uk/knowledgecentre/helicopterdvd.cfm)

windowseatplease
24th Aug 2010, 08:00
The video takes forever and a day to load before it will play. Why on earth didn't they put it up there in MPEG or MP4 format?

Mac users will have fun trying to view it in it's current format!

helisdw
24th Aug 2010, 09:24
windowseatplease - sadly your Mac prediction has been borne out by my computer grinding to a hault (and no video being seen!). It wasn't that I didn't believe you - I just couldn't resist checking out the link...!

Simon

windowseatplease
24th Aug 2010, 09:28
On my mac, you have to let it load the whole video before it will play ok.

I use this plug-in, which enables me to view videos like this.

Windows Media Components: Flip4Mac (https://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/flip4mac.mspx)

The odd thing is, I managed to download the whole video, it's 70 mb, but the picture quality is awful. ???

bladegrabber
24th Aug 2010, 09:31
As an industry user i can report that its been a success and has definately improved the end users awareness and overall confidence when flying offshore.

:)

helisdw
24th Aug 2010, 09:52
windowseatplease - thanks for the link to the flip4mac program.

Clicking on the original Oil&Gas link caused my computer to slow to a snail's pace - after 10min I gave up! I shall persevere and hope for success...

Simon

206Fan
24th Aug 2010, 13:41
Have to say that was very interesting indeed. You guys do an excellent job on the North Sea :D

Pity about the video quality :ugh:

windowseatplease
24th Aug 2010, 13:50
Trust me, it's just driving the local park and ride bus, but with checklists.

TiPwEiGhT
24th Aug 2010, 18:19
Interesting video. Are you chaps using ADS A or B in the UK side and since when? I am guessing it must have be recent as they didn't have it in April-May 2009 when I was last there?

TiP:ok:

windowseatplease
24th Aug 2010, 18:31
Err, ADS?

Advanced Dietry Supplements?
Another Dull Sector?
Automated DME Synchronisation?

TiPwEiGhT
24th Aug 2010, 19:34
That'll be a no then.

Automatic Dependent Surveilliance. Basically a satellite transpoder so ATC can still see you and everyone else out of radar range. The system is a requirement in the Norwegian sector and is being considered in the GoM I believe.

Have they more radars offshore now out of ABZ so they can see you beyond 90nm?

TiP

Bravo73
24th Aug 2010, 19:58
Have they more radars offshore now out of ABZ so they can see you beyond 90nm?

Nope. The 'new' WAM system (Wide Area Multilateration) has a number of receivers/interrogators on offshore installations. These pick up the SSR transmissions from aircraft.

The system goes live on 28/08/10.

TiPwEiGhT
24th Aug 2010, 20:05
Ah ha, ok now what they were saying in the video makes sense about multilateration. Thanks for the reply Bravo.

TiP

windowseatplease
24th Aug 2010, 20:19
There's something like that in the southern north sea I believe, I think based on mobile phone signal technology?? People at the base have a screen with the locations of helicopters superimposed on a map.

Bravo73
24th Aug 2010, 22:12
There's something like that in the southern north sea I believe, I think based on mobile phone signal technology?? People at the base have a screen with the locations of helicopters superimposed on a map.

That sounds more like an aircraft tracking system, using Iridium satellite services. Blue Sky is one such system: Flight Tracking, Global Aircraft Satellite Communication, Iridium Phone (http://www.blueskynetwork.com/AviationLanding.php).

HTH

212man
25th Aug 2010, 02:47
Trust me, it's just driving the local park and ride bus, but with checklists.

I guess you find it so mundane you can't be arsed to maintain a passing awareness of things like ADS and Multilateration?

To those of you in the video - thanks for presenting a slightly more professional image of our industry :ok:

windowseatplease
25th Aug 2010, 07:36
Most of the pilots on our base have no idea what ADS is either.

212man
25th Aug 2010, 11:54
Ah, that's okay then. Maybe your analogy is correct after all :(

Aser
25th Aug 2010, 18:52
Thanks 212man! very good video :ok: