PDA

View Full Version : Disaster assistance team

helimutt
23rd Aug 2010, 16:07
I was wondering why there still isnt a disaster relief team who can be utilised when floods/tsunami/earthquakes strike. I'm sure there are many helicopter pilots who would quite happily go and help out. I'd sign up as a volunteer. Anyone know of a requirement for pilots to help out in Pakistan?

9Aplus
23rd Aug 2010, 17:19
Yesterday my chief pilot told me the same....:D

On the other hand WFP in Rome did not made any response on
our application long time ago. Now days we are hearing
them calling for helicopter assistance WW.
It is huge and expensive logistic problem to send helicopter
over there, only states can do that... or even some co in case
of some taxation release (here not available)

Something should be done, but how?

klaus_a_e
25th Aug 2010, 20:13
I worked as a delegate in catastrophe missions around the world (tsunami, earthqakes, etc) and as I’m pilot I wondered about the same thing but I rarely saw civil companies. It’s 90% military and the rest is WFP (ok, probably some local helis if around). The WFP flight program has contracts with some civil companies (like HELOG but they quite as well) and you wont be of use unless you run a fleet of 214s, Pumas or things like that.
The other downside of operating civil helicopters in this environment is that the payment practices are not the best, and if you have to finance the operation of a Super Puma 6 month ahead because UN or local governments won’t pay you any earlier – you have to have a solid financial background.
In Germany there is an association of quite a few companies providing helicopter help in catastrophe situations (heli-alert).

Tallguy
26th Aug 2010, 09:49
On this topic, but from a slightly different angle, I'm about to have a large amount of time on my hands and so would like to get involved in this sort of thing (disaster relief on the rotary side), but not being a pilot I would be looking at the ground crew or in the back of the aircraft aspect. Being fit, young, and having been brought up with helicopters and worked with them for 10+ years to date oh and financially stable, does anyone have any idea if there is a requirement for people such as myself and if so any leads?

hueyracer
26th Aug 2010, 10:33
As long as you do not have any licences (does not matter if it is a pilots licence or mechanics licence), it is cheaper to just hire guys for the "dirt work" right away at the spot..

Why buy a ticket for you, if you can have several guys there just working for one buck / day?

The problem with "heli on standby" for Disaster Relief is:
Who is going to pay for that?

Pilots, Mechanics, Hangars, Inspections, Checkflights-everything has to be paid-regularly.

No one is willing to pay-especially since this "mysterious economic crisis" brought down half of the market...

By the way:
Most of the military guys in near future will not be able to fly in these environments-the armies are running out of money, helicopters, flight hours, mechnics-and experiences.....

Tallguy
26th Aug 2010, 13:47
Why buy a ticket for you, if you can have several guys there just working for one buck / day?

valid point hueyracer

SuperF
27th Aug 2010, 08:25
we have helicopters available. could be up there now, but you just can't get hold of anyone that is able to make a decision, or willing to pay.

While money isn't everything, try telling that to all the staff that you have to pay to run an op like that, shell/BP don't give the gas away, and Bell always sends bills for parts. So instead we'll just stay here doing our normal ops...

homonculus
28th Aug 2010, 11:11
And then there is the wonderful beaucracy to import the aircraft / fuel / parts, let alone getting permission to actually fly vthe thing.

I doubt any company or individual could ever manage it in in the majority of non European/North American countries

Matari
28th Aug 2010, 13:00
Luckily there's a pretty capable disaster response team that operates quite a few helicopters, paid for by American taxpayers....

The United States has responded immediately and generously to Pakistan's call for assistance following the tragic and devastating floods that began July 29. To date, approximately $76 million in assistance is being provided by the U.S. to flood-affected populations in Pakistan. We are also providing additional assistance through the expansion of pre-existing programs and humanitarian activities in flood-affected areas and mobilizing significant U.S. military resources to deliver supplies and rescue victims of the disaster. U.S. helicopters have evacuated 4,000 people and delivered 400,000 pounds of relief suppliesOur response has been consistent with our humanitarian values and our deep commitment to Pakistan. Support includes both financial assistance and the immediate provision of urgently needed supplies and services, drawing on unique U.S. capabilities and resources.
Latest Developments:
Two additional U.S. Marine Corps CH-53E Super Stallion helicopters and one U.S. Navy MH-53E Sea Dragon helicopter arrived at Ghazi Air Base in Pakistan today as part of the continued U.S. humanitarian assistance to Pakistan in support of flood relief efforts. The three aircraft are part of the contingent of 19 helicopters urgently ordered to Pakistan on August 11 by U.S. Secretary of Defense Robert Gates.
The U.S. helicopters, which began humanitarian assistance operations in Pakistan August 5, were able to fly limited relief sorties today because of poor weather conditions. However, two UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters transported 6,000 pounds of relief supplies.Update: U.S. Response to Pakistan's Flooding Disaster (http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2010/08/145965.htm)

Spunk
31st Aug 2010, 14:50
Today the German "HeliAlert" group was informed that their offer to help in Pakistan was turned down. If at all Pakistan will only accept twins. :eek:
:mad:

9Aplus
31st Aug 2010, 15:07
Not any surprise for me :E