PDA

View Full Version : Not Your Usual "Missing Aircraft" Story

grizzled
23rd Aug 2010, 16:37
This Piper Comanche went missing Tuesday afternoon on a flight between Penticton BC and Victoria BC. What's unusual is the number of aircraft and people that are swarming the area in a bid to be first to locate the aircraft. Good Samaritans? I don't think so...

Missing plane tied to drugs (http://www.theprovince.com/news/Missing+plane+tied+drugs/3420670/story.html)

PaperTiger
23rd Aug 2010, 16:44
Perhaps it isn't "missing" ?

11Fan
23rd Aug 2010, 17:25
Post Flight Briefing

_L8DcjFOD1k

RatherBeFlying
23rd Aug 2010, 17:42
Yep, there's lots of smuggling over the BC-US border, but there's not much payload with three buddies aboard.

I'd put my money on a/c rate of climb less than that of terrain below, likely coupled with a downslope wind.

grizzled
23rd Aug 2010, 18:00
RBF...

Bingo. I know the airport well and there have been no less the six fatal accidents in the past at Penticton due to the exact scenario you mention. In all the cases I'm referring to the aircraft were eventually found within 5 miles of the airport. The terrain and environment (including very high density altitude in summer) are deceptive, and so conducive to the terrain subtley out-climbing the aircraft that warning signs to that effect are posted on the ramp.

Depending whether the aircraft departed on rwy 16 or 34, it will most likely be found a few miles up one of the several side valleys to the north or south of YYF.

IF it indeed crashed...

grizz