PDA

View Full Version : Blue pool in Secret Britain tv prog

rans6andrew
23rd Aug 2010, 12:18
on Secret Britain (BBC1 9pm) last evening the show visited a nice "blue pool" which looks to be the result of some quarrying activity in times past. They didn't say where in Britain it can be found. Anyone know where it is? What was extracted there?

Rans6...

G-CPTN
23rd Aug 2010, 12:27
Can you give a clue as to how far through the programme?

BBC iPlayer - Secret Britain: The Hidden Heart (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00tkqzm/Secret_Britain_The_Hidden_Heart/)

Lukeafb1
23rd Aug 2010, 12:38
Didn't catch the programme, being in the far flung reaches of the Empire, but 'Blue'? Seems to me that the location could be somewhere in Cornwall. One of the played out English China Clay pools. Most of them have a spectacular blue colouring.

tony draper
23rd Aug 2010, 12:41
Thought they said it was in Wales among the slate quarries?:confused:
The blue colour was caused by the pond being surrounded by high cliffs so it reflected the blue sky perfectly.
Enjoy progs like this since I got me posh new HD telly.:E
Those people made a mistake if they wished to keep thier private nooks secret,probably be five thousand people there next weekend,apparently peeps are already trying to track it down on tinternet.:E

G-CPTN
23rd Aug 2010, 12:51
There's a 'blue lagoon' at Henlow, Bedfordshire - but it's hardly a secret - and there are many claypits that are now flooded.

Blue pool in the programme is south of Snowdonia in a slate mine.
42.55 in the iPlayer.

SLFguy
23rd Aug 2010, 12:53
Cornwall I think - quarry pools from ex-porcelain quality clay extractions - striking cornflower blue water - tho there wuz slates mines as well - Penlee??

Load Toad
23rd Aug 2010, 13:05
Kaolin pools:

oBuLkaY7tQ4

NxZPqP7nMqw

Rather be Gardening
23rd Aug 2010, 13:22
There's a Blue Pool at Golwern Quarry up above Fairbourne that you have to walk through a tunnel to get to. Good for swimming:

http://www.qualitycottages.co.uk/supimages/1086/bluepool1.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/northwest/sites/inpictures/images/0904bluelake_markjobling.jpg

G-CPTN
23rd Aug 2010, 13:26
That looks like it!

Blue Lake:: OS grid SH6212 (http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/10542)

tony draper
23rd Aug 2010, 13:34
Apparently yon pond is full of Trouts as well.:)
Not for long now.

goudie
23rd Aug 2010, 13:37
It is indeed the place, as seen on the TV prog. Fair old hike I imagine to get there

G-CPTN
23rd Aug 2010, 13:40
Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world! (http://wikimapia.org/#lat=52.6897805&lon=-4.0434623&z=16&l=0&m=h)

green granite
23rd Aug 2010, 13:53
Have a real map:

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i11/orangeherald/blmap.jpg

SpringHeeledJack
23rd Aug 2010, 14:26
Those people made a mistake if they wished to keep thier private nooks secret,probably be five thousand people there next weekend,apparently peeps are already trying to track it down on tinternet.

One is obliged to concur with Herr Draper. Although the programmes are well made and show the 'secret' places to good effect, most of these outdoor locations are by their nature only frequented by the type of person who a) like to do things off the beaten track and b) appreciate natural surroundings unencumbered by the masses. Although realistically the hordes won't be descending on many of the locales, you can be sure that many will be motivated by the vistas to visit them and most probably change the balance of flora and fauna that has thus far existed.

I'm probably a selfish git, but whenever i 'find' such a place or bar/restaurant/shop/whatever i keep it too myself having been too keen in the past to share my discovery only to find that some time later "they paved over paradise and put up a parking lot" to quote Ms Mitchell. :{

SHJ

MagnusP
23rd Aug 2010, 14:43
Saw some astonishingly blue lakes when driving through the Atacama a few years ago - presumbly copper salts from mining in the area. I'd like to visit San Pedro again, but it prolly won't happen now; I can't see MrsP being enthralled.

RedhillPhil
23rd Aug 2010, 14:55
SLFGuy.
Penlee quarry was a granite quarry. Bit further east was Delabole, that was a slate quarry.

G-CPTN
23rd Aug 2010, 15:24
Having grown up in Northumberland, my idea of a crowded beach is if there is anyone else on it within recognisable distance.
(There are some very long beaches.)

G-CPTN
23rd Aug 2010, 15:36
In many cases the colour is due to suspension of fine particles of clay, however, many years ago I was on a school trip to the Salzkammergut region of Austria.
We were on a small boat on one of the incredily blue lakes.
I asked the Austrian guide why the water was so blue.
She replied:- "The lakes are so blue because the mountains are so high and the lakes are so deep because there is so much water in them."

She also pointed out the 'savage duck' (literal translation of wild duck in Austrian I suppose - sauvage I believe).

Lon More
23rd Aug 2010, 16:30
Bluewater on the M25 used to be the blue, now just rusty brown from the shopping trolleys, nicked bikes, etc, thrown into what remains,

brynhebog
24th Aug 2010, 10:24
I was on the steam train at Fairbourne with my son and partner last week, can't believe I was so close. Should have "explored" this hill instead of the one behind Barmouth, still there's always next week, you never know, might meet the Hines's. Looks like they'll need a new car park at Friog.

Bruce Wayne
24th Aug 2010, 10:28
Enjoy progs like this since I got me posh new HD telly

Drapes, you surprise me, would have thought you wouldn't touch a telly without valves in it ! :E

THEONE2010
4th Sep 2010, 13:20
The Blue Pool featured on Secret Brition is an old slate mine located in the hillside at the back of Friog near Fairbourne in Wales. I was taken their by my dad for the first time nearly 40 years ago and am planning to go back in the next few weeks. It can be seen on Google Maps and the coordinates are
52"41'20.70N 4"02'30.07W Hope this helps.