PDA

View Full Version : US / TSA - again.

ExSp33db1rd
23rd Aug 2010, 08:40
The lunacy of the actions of the US / TSA have been well documented on previous forums, but I make no apology for adding to them – has the World truly gone mad ?

My wife and I departed Los Angeles last Friday night, dutifully turning up for the flight with no more than the permitted one piece of cabin baggage weighing no more then 7Kg, plus one further " personal item " as permitted by the current regulations.

My one personal item was a laptop computer, which when place inside my cabin bag took the total weight over the magic 7Kg, so it was whipped in and out like a dogs’ dick at a fair at every check point, despite the fact that once on board, the effect on the total take-off weight of the Scairbus – 330 that we boarded was the same, inside the bag or out – so just what is the point ?

My wife had her 7kg cabin bag plus her handbag ( purse to the US female readers ) but on reaching the entrance to the first X-ray screening checkpoint, she was refused entry by the duty dragon on the grounds that the thin cotton pouch hanging around her neck, designed and purchased specifically for, and containing only her passport and boarding card, constituted a second item of "personal belongings"

She was told that if he wanted to continue her journey, the passport holder had to be " assimilated" with one or the other of her other "items", so she placed it into her handbag, which had to be unzipped and rezipped at every one of the multi passport / boading pass checks, totally negating the convenience of the device. (I have long since resorted to a " flying shirt " with voluminous pockets for that purpose )

As an American Citizen my wife will doubtless be returning, but whereas the US might like me to spend my tourist dollar to help restore their quavering economy, I don’t need this needless crap, so am considering my position for the future. I won’t miss this nonsense.

dakkg651
23rd Aug 2010, 08:58
Just another example showing good old common sense has finally been eradicated. :ugh:

Low Flier
23rd Aug 2010, 09:21
Caution:

The Mods have intimated that they are currently imposing a new forum rule that thou shall not criticise the USA.

flapsforty
23rd Aug 2010, 10:48
Not quite.
This thread has been closed because it would, through no fault of the OP but as demonstrated by Low Flier, be abused for another round of USA/Mod/Rest of the World bashing & baiting.

The recent posting behaviour of a small number of people has caused us to remind them via PM of rule 7 of the RoE:
Aviation is an international endeavour par excellence; bigotry has no place on this bulletin board. If venting intolerant gut feelings is your thing, go do it somewhere else.

The Mods, with a responsibility delegated to us by the board´s owners, do insist that all posters, irrespective of nationality or political conviction, abide by the rules and policies detailed in the PPRuNe rules & JB RoE (http://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/353263-pprune-rules-jb-roe-youtube-embedding-instructions.html) stickied at the top of the forum.

The current aggressive bashing & baiting between a small number of posters from various sides is not acceptable. Ribbing and joking is fine, but this is not the place for *America vs The Rest of the World* trench warfare.

A large majority of people use this forum as intended, for a bit of lighthearted fun.
Many of those who got carried away these last few weeks have also given their undertaking that they will do their bit to once again keep things civil here.
The few who insist on continued unacceptable posting behaviour, will have to do so elsewhere.

Bigotry: aggressive intolerance towards any group or belief that is not one's own; especially in the form of national, racial, ethnic, sexual or religious intolerance and prejudice.