PDA

View Full Version : Airbus A320 Flap Settings

FlyKingfisher
23rd Aug 2010, 06:06
Note: Not a professional pilot.

I wanted to know what the normal flap setting for the A320 is on take-off. I believe it is Flaps 1 (does it mean 1+F as indicated on the EICAS?).

Can Flaps 2 be used for take-off? Does airport elevation play a role? I know that the a/c weight has to be limited at high-altitude airports.

I also wanted to know what flap setting would used eg. at Leh (Ladakh, India) where the airport elevation is 10,682 ft (3,256 m).

Also, what is the flap retraction schedule when using a) Flaps 1 and b) Flaps 2 (if applicable)?

If Flaps 1 is used, I presume the speed tape will indicate only S speed and not F speed after take-off. Am I right?

Artificial Horizon
23rd Aug 2010, 07:12
Flap 1, 2 and 3 can all be used for departure as per your company perf manual. Flap 1 will give you 1+F. If you use Flap 1 for departure only S speed is displayed. If you use Flap 2 or 3 then S and F speed will be displayed. Clean up is from Flap 3 straight to Flap 1 when using Flap 3 for departure. At my airline Flap 2 is standard, Flap 3 used on short runways, Flap 1 used on runways 2500m or longer.

FlyKingfisher
23rd Aug 2010, 07:59
Thanks very much for your reply.

brit bus driver
23rd Aug 2010, 08:25
At my airline Flap 2 is standard, Flap 3 used on short runways, Flap 1 used on runways 2500m or longer

Does that take account of obstacles in the climb out? Performance is about more than runway length you know...

And S speed is only displayed once the flaps are moved from 3 (or 2) to 1, but I'm sure that's what you meant.

eez
23rd Aug 2010, 08:52
according to operating limitations, max rwy altitude 9200ft.

FlyKingfisher
23rd Aug 2010, 14:15
Does that take account of obstacles in the climb out? Performance is about more than runway length you know...

And S speed is only displayed once the flaps are moved from 3 (or 2) to 1, but I'm sure that's what you meant.

Doesn't climb-out performance/obstacle clearance depend on V/S? Doesn't a higher flap setting give a steeper climb rate? Tell me more about this.

according to operating limitations, max rwy altitude 9200ft

What do you mean? Can you elaborate?

FlyingStone
23rd Aug 2010, 14:41
Doesn't a higher flap setting give a steeper climb rate?

Most aircraft have the highest climb gradient when fully clean (i.e. no gear or flaps/slats extended). Flats and slats are used however to reduce takeoff roll, especially on jets/large turboprops of which none (as far as I know) are certified for flapless takeoff.

DeltaGolf
23rd Aug 2010, 14:51
Originally Posted by eez
according to operating limitations, max rwy altitude 9200ft

that's not true, 9200ft would be the "normal" condition for operating.

If you want to operate ABV 9200ft (which is completely normal), you have to follow some SPECIAL Ops Procedures, FCOM 2, High Altitude operation.. just a few more things to do in the cockpit...

and also, you said the airports is 10 thousand or so, you do NOT need to takeoff or Land with the OXY Mask on..

FlyKingfisher
24th Aug 2010, 06:06
Most aircraft have the highest climb gradient when fully clean (i.e. no gear or flaps/slats extended). Flats and slats are used however to reduce takeoff roll, especially on jets/large turboprops of which none (as far as I know) are certified for flapless takeoff.

So, climb rate isn't dependent on flap settings, is that what you mean? And whoever talked about flapless takeoff... :confused:

fredgrav
24th Aug 2010, 09:49
So, climb rate isn't dependent on flap settings, is that what you mean? And whoever talked about flapless takeoff...

Hi FlyKingfisher,
the higher the flap setting, the lower the climb gradient ... basically because the angle of climb is lower, then the height gain x distance is lower. Considering the GRADIENT as being the ratio Rate of Climb/ TAS, and ROC = TAS*GRAD here you understand how an increase in climb gradient also give an increase in Rate of Climb ...

Hope that helps,
fregdrav