PDA

View Full Version : Gem of site from BBC on Battle of Britain

HKPAX
23rd Aug 2010, 04:48
BBC News - Battle of Britain: The cost (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11029903) and its related links is an eye opener and worth a look for those interested in the history of aviation. Fascinating day-by-day chart on what was happening. Churchill's tribute to the "few" put in perspective - I never knew the British losses were 537 men (one fifth of losses suffered by the opposing forces). Hardly Battle of the Somme stuff, while not in any way denying the fact that what these 537 men and their survivors achieved changed the course of the war and of history.

Hope I'm not stirring up ill feelings: a better world would not have allowed this to happen, and for this single reason many of us Brits should perhaps be more supportive to the real heart of the "European" cause.

Could the Mods please let this stay on Jetblast for a few days before moving it to the History section!

Loose rivets
23rd Aug 2010, 07:07
I've just read Geoffrey Wellum's First Light again. I enjoyed it even more the second time round. It really transports one in some of the up-beat moments.

Certainly a book I'll never part with.