PDA

View Full Version : Concerning recruitment agencies....

Uncle Wiggily
22nd Aug 2010, 18:41
(talking about First Officer positions)

As you are probably aware many of the recruitment comapnies such as Parc, Rishworth, Wynnwith, etc, etc. constantly advertise the same positions over and over. Usually these are for A320, 737NG, B744, or the occasional ATR job. All of these contracts require usually 300 or 500 hours in Type. It does not matter (excluding just a few contracts) if you have 10,000 hours in one kind of jet aircraft, you need hours in the exact type of jet used in the contract.

Question: Do you think the hour in specific type of jet will eventually go away and these airlines will look at the total experience of the applicant? I know it all has to do w/ supply and demand...but christ, it seems like a person should not be excluded because they have 5000 hours in 737 classic and they want to apply for a A320 FO position? Are these recruitment agencies seriously staffing every month? I have seen the same ads for 3 plus years. Something has to give.....right? please.....

Firestorm
23rd Aug 2010, 09:14
Obviously the best person to ask is the account manager at the agency. As far as I have come to understand the advertised jobs is that the client companies don't want to go to the expense of type rating a pilot, or don't have enough time to go through the whole conversion course, but just want to base check someone, and get them on line. That is why experience of the particular type, and variant is specified and required. The account manger doesn't have much discretion to interpret the client's requirements unless they don't get enough applicants that satisfy the specified requirement so convince the client to relax some of the requirements. Even if you have several hundred hours on ie the 737 EFIS you will not be considered for a job on the NG series. But try to build up some sort of dialogue with the account managers, and they may be able to get you in somewhere that you might not get to if they didn't know you a bit.

overun
26th Aug 2010, 04:21
lf the sick stays in the throat.

l have way over 2500hrs P1, on the Atr 42/72, operated both, and paid to meet a uk caa examiner down in Toulouse, ( he was superb ),

Signed off.

The agencies are all the same, " have you flown the type within the last 90 days".

This was last month, and 4000 pounds in total later, l still have the same response.

l could get seriously abrupt.

We are talking white slavers are we not ?

overun
26th Aug 2010, 07:27
Walk down your local High Street,

we need 7.5 tonne drivers, class 2 drivers ( immediately ), class 1 with 2 years experience.

l actually gave up.

l am current on the Bae146, and the Atr. l bought a HGV licence after 9/11 `cos that put food on my kiiddies table.

Who would think that l would be here again ? Two options, ..... lay in bed or get moving. l bought a bus licence.

You have to get moving, mate.

ATP_Al
26th Aug 2010, 08:05
Agencies are only looking for type rated, experienced pilots because they have been asked by the airline to find people to solve a short term problem (new type, significant expansion, lack of capacity or resources for crew training etc). If airlines have the time and ability to train pilots for type ratings they will normal recruit directly, without using an agency. So the very specific requirements in contract adverts are unlikely to ever change.

overun
26th Aug 2010, 08:20
So agencies don`t take the first suck of the teat ?

Do you have a professional pilot`s licence ?

just checked your previous posts, a bit of basic dogf*ck wouldn`t go amiss.

NEWYEAR
26th Aug 2010, 12:44
Hi everybody :)

It is not a question about experience in relation to FO.

They word "experience" is used when they need Captains which means experience and in that circunstances they are willing to give you a course if you are agree to a training bond. Just in case you have experience to become a Captain, Do you understand what I mean?

A FO (expat) is a source of money for the airline. So, they (airline and agency) want you to pay in order to earn commisions, and they are willing to give you the facilities to get the type raiting. But...you are not secure of getting the job := so, you could waste your money...be careful:rolleyes:

So, it doesn´t matter if you have got 10 years experience working and 5000 hrs B737 for example.

Regards

Norman Stanley Fletcher
26th Aug 2010, 13:58
Overun - you sound like a total yob and the manner of your reply is simply unacceptable in a discussion among professional pilots. I am kind of hoping you might be a bus driver who has unwittingly found himself here whilst searching for something else. (I used to drive buses myself by the way).

Back to the exam question. This is a question of supply and demand. Right now the types of people they want are available with the stipulations of currency, experience etc. Why would they wish to lower that requirement when they do not have to? It is very harsh I know, but these are just the hard facts. Agencies are there to provide expensive pilots to willing airlines. Those airlines pay a lot of money for what they want and, not unreasonably, expect to get what they paid for. That is no way to decry the skills of those not considered - it just states the mechanism of the market place.

Dani
26th Aug 2010, 14:12
Experience over several industry cylces show that they always go down with the prerequisits if they don't find the right people. That's true not only for the agencies and their respective airlines behind, but also for "normal" airlines that select, hire and train their own people.

As I can tell from my own experience: It was always difficult to get the job, even if only a few hours were missing. Agencies have the order from the airlines to recruit exactly that level of experience, and they are not free to negotiate about that.

The bigger problem behind is the thinking of (mostly Asian) carriers who think that it is hours on type that counts, instead of looking for the right caracter of a human being. If they would, their problems would have been solved longtime ago. Since they don't change, there is always a job for the contractors. Good for them (I'm one of them).

On the other hand I find it very bizare for the agencies that they are not willing to find ways to get people the right experience themselves: If a guy comes and he is missing a hundred hours on type, they certainly could find him an airline to buy the missing hours, and then have him as a valuable asset for an upcoming contract. I'm sure they would make profit. I personally was in talks with several agencies and they wouldn't want to do that. That's how it is.

Dani

Airbus_a321
26th Aug 2010, 19:04
...at least AVOID BROOKFIELD :mad: