PDA

View Full Version : Chris Kelly - aka - Binoculars

sisemen
22nd Aug 2010, 16:12
http://www.pprune.org/dg-p-general-aviation-questions/424897-chris-kelly-aka-binoculars.html

Thought I'd post this link to D&G. Bino's (Binoculars) was a regular contributor on Jet Blast and I am sure that there are many on here who wouldn't necessarily visit D&G and pick up the news.

Hope he gets better.

BombayDuck
22nd Aug 2010, 16:16
:(

I hope things improve.

Mac the Knife
22nd Aug 2010, 18:07
A great character! Binos, hope you get well and get back.

Mac

hellsbrink
22nd Aug 2010, 18:10
Very sad news. I hope he has a full recovery and is back Prooning quickly

Flying Lawyer
22nd Aug 2010, 19:30
Very sorry to hear.

I enjoyed his contributions - he's a good debater - and had noticed he hadn't been around for some time.

Hope he pulls through.

con-pilot
22nd Aug 2010, 19:32
We had the great pleasure of having Chris coming to our home and staying with my wife and me for a week.

We are very sadden by this latest turn of events and hope for a rapid recovery. If Chris still has the the mental capability, by God he is capable of walking out of that hospital.

God Bless Chris, please get well soon.

Alec and Suzi.

sea oxen
22nd Aug 2010, 21:19
I vehemently disagree with him at all times but am always terrified of a reply from him - he's an extremely good debater. His absence was sorely missed in the lead up to the general election, especially as he bloodied my nose before the last one.

Hopefully, having made a full recovery, he'll read this thread and come back for round two.

SO

G-CPTN
22nd Aug 2010, 21:28
I thought it was just me that he disagreed with.

He's a youngster and deserves a much longer existence - get well (and soon) Binos - you have much unfinished business here on PPRuNe it seems . . .

green granite
22nd Aug 2010, 21:43
One of the best DA's on here, get better soon Binos

timmcat
22nd Aug 2010, 22:00
Thats really bad news - a colourful stalwart from the earlier days of PPRuNe and I seem to recall I may have banned him from my own forum once... I do believe he considered that yet another badge of honour and didnt take it personally.

Really hoping for a positive outcome from this.

mustpost
22nd Aug 2010, 22:50
As a relative newbie, especially in JB, his debating skills persuaded me that this was a forum to lurk on the edges of, and learn things.
Get better mate..

Tyres O'Flaherty
22nd Aug 2010, 23:37
''Just Binos''. I hope to see that byline again asap

SoulManBand
23rd Aug 2010, 00:35
Hope to see you again, debating, Binos.

CityofFlight
23rd Aug 2010, 01:57
Chris, my prayers are with you and your family. We butted heads but found fantastic common ground through music, both on and off Pprune.

May God grant you a miracle.

Flyt3est
23rd Aug 2010, 07:58
I'm another who sometimes agreed and sometimes locked horns with Bino's.. always fair and good bloke. Hope you recover fella.

Fliegenmong
23rd Aug 2010, 08:30
My prayers with you and your Family 'Just Binos', you've been a real legend upon these threads mate, from d fellow Queenslander, all the very best for a full recovery mate!!:ok:

Flypuppy
23rd Aug 2010, 14:49
Chris is one of the early members of PPRuNe who has made it what it is today. He isn't always popular with some of his observations and comments but always defends his ground and admits if he is wrong.

Here is hoping he will be back to assault and insult us.

Big Tudor
23rd Aug 2010, 19:35
Can only re-iterate what has already been said. Surely there are few better accolades in life than to be held in high esteem by fellow Ppruners, and to be labelled as a 'character'. A man of wise words and strongly held beliefs, but one who can back them up with intelligent and well thought responses (most of the time ;))

Get well soon Binos.

parabellum
23rd Aug 2010, 23:17
Any one able to update us on Chris's condition?

Get well soon Chris, always enjoyed your humour.

Buster Hyman
25th Aug 2010, 05:53
...............:(http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/statusicon/post_old.gif Yesterday, 21:32
YBMK Tower (http://www.pprune.org/members/184382-ybmk-tower)

Vale: Chris Kelly

Chris passed away early this morning. Service 1430 Friday at Mount Bassett.

Be in peace

AA SLF
25th Aug 2010, 06:29
Buster -

Thnx for your posting, although it hurts.

RIP - Binos.

No more worries about who is the PM, just Peace. :{

green granite
25th Aug 2010, 07:03
http://209.85.48.8/1889/52/emo/saddy.gif http://209.85.48.8/1889/52/emo/saddy.gif

Blacksheep
25th Aug 2010, 07:08
Another one bites the dust. :(
Locked horns with Bino's a couple of times. Without the odd spat a bulletin board would become boring; he was a classic and it won't be the same without him. RIP old star...

tony draper
25th Aug 2010, 07:10
Damm! very sorry to hear this,there are few enough of us grumps.:(

Flypuppy
25th Aug 2010, 07:11

Say not in grief 'he is no more' but live in thankfulness that he was.

Lon More
25th Aug 2010, 07:22
Why is it always the good guys?

Stockpicker
25th Aug 2010, 07:26
RIP Binos. :(

IB4138
25th Aug 2010, 08:17
Long may his memory remain.

Rather be Gardening
25th Aug 2010, 08:19
Were often like this:

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/Touring-the-Universe-through-Binoculars-210x300.jpg RIP http://sparklensprinkle.com/o/images/3020-382AAtinyRose.jpg

jimgriff
25th Aug 2010, 08:45
BUGGER!........:(

criticalmass
25th Aug 2010, 08:49
"Now he belongs to the ages."

These words were first said of Abraham Lincoln, but they apply equally to Chris. I never had the opportunity to meet him face-to-face, but through Pprune I felt he was someone I could be friends with, disagree with and yet like immensely at the same time. I enjoyed his humour in Pprune chat nearly a decade ago when the chat-room was full of robust, off-the-wall humour. I read his posts with eager anticipation.

Now he is no more, just a memory. To his daughters (the "Binoettes") and family, to his friends who did have the great good fortune to see him and hear him on a daily basis I send my most heartfelt condolences. Foxfire also sends her deepest condolences.

Godspeed, Binos. We are all dimished by your departure. "Cleared to celestial flight levels, track direct, speed restriction waived, pilot's discretion." :{

Keef
25th Aug 2010, 09:01
Rest in peace, old friend.

hellsbrink
25th Aug 2010, 09:07
A sad day in PPruneland.

May your soul rest in peace, Binos, you'll be sorely missed

:sad:

BombayDuck
25th Aug 2010, 09:20
Sigh. Even when you're prepared to hear the worst, it still hurts.

RIP, person whom I never met, but still considered a friend.

Storminnorm
25th Aug 2010, 09:31
RIP Binos. You'll really be missed by us all I'm sure.
Deepest sympathy to the family.

flapsforty
25th Aug 2010, 10:13
In his later years Chris became, in his own words, "cursed" with the ability to see both sides of most arguments. A rare achievement on these pages.

A (com)passionate debater on the forums, a passionate flirt on chat, a great music, tennis and movie lover, hippie at heart, fond of his weekly golf day and immensely proud of his daughters.

Not an easy man, but knowing him enriched my life.

The Binoettes do not I think read PPRuNe, but the funeral people will print your message of condolence and deliver it to his family via this link (http://www.newhavenfunerals.com.au/offer-condolences-online.php#).

Chris´s funeral is in the hands of New Haven Funerals, Mackay. I have just spoken to them, and they arrange flowers from overseas as well.
Payable by credit card, via this mail address: mackay @ newhavenfunerals.com.au (remove the spaces)

angels
25th Aug 2010, 10:20
Many thanks for the link flaps.

25th Aug 2010, 12:12
RIP Binos.

Cron.

Fliegenmong
25th Aug 2010, 12:25
Link doesn't work....stunned to think that Binos is no loger here..........All that was said about him previously is true....can only hope to leave an impression half as impressive as Binos....and yes it 's always the good guys.......why is it always thre good guys.........:(:(:(

But for his contributions, and the enjoyment he brought us:ok::ok: All the best....RIP, and my love and best wishes to your family Binos...thank you:ok::{

treadigraph
25th Aug 2010, 12:43
PPRuNe is full of great characters and today we have lost one of the best of them.

Cheers Binos...

timmcat
25th Aug 2010, 12:45
RIP Chris.

BlueDiamond
25th Aug 2010, 12:50
Safe journey home, Binos ... and wide open skies. I hope your adored daughters will have all the support they need as they come to terms with this sad, personal loss.

mustpost
25th Aug 2010, 13:18
RIP, Sir, and I refer to my previous post on this thread.
I add this as a tribute to a bloke I never met, but admired his contributions.

"Clear, placid Leman! thy contrasted lake,
With the wild world I dwelt in, is a thing
Which warns me, with its stillness, to forsake
Earth’s troubled waters for a purer spring.
This quiet sail is as a noiseless wing
To waft me from distraction; once I loved
Torn ocean’s roar, but thy soft murmuring
Sounds sweet as if a sister’s voice reproved,
That I with stern delights should e’er have been so moved."

flapsforty
25th Aug 2010, 13:30
Repeat from previous page:

The funeral people will print your message of condolence and deliver it to Chris' family.

Newhaven Funerals, Funeral Directors, Funeral Fund PLans, Memorial Gardens, Crematorium on the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Mackay (http://www.newhavenfunerals.com.au/offer-condolences-online.php)

cleo
25th Aug 2010, 19:59
Sad day's news. Flaps - thank you for that link. XX

Sailor Vee
25th Aug 2010, 20:35
Binos always came across as one of the most erudite of ppruners, even in the early days when there were only a few fora to get into, may you rest in peace.

pigboat
25th Aug 2010, 20:42
RIP Binos. :(

Thanks for the link flaps.

con-pilot
25th Aug 2010, 21:33
Sad to say we received the news early this morning.

Here is my favorite picture of Chris and me when he was here. We are standing under the 'Survivors' tree' at the Oklahoma City Bombing Memorial.

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c246/con-pilot/IMG_0034.jpg

SoulManBand
25th Aug 2010, 21:44
I used to like these threads where opposing viewpoints could be mentioned and discussed, sometimes scorned, sometimes reluctantly accepted. It's supposed to be what civilised debate is about, and not to fill in time on Pprune, but to teach us that, to use a phrase I have repeated several times, not all the good batsmen are ever on the same side.

This is the opening to the second to last post Binos ever made on PPRuNe, one year ago, August 27, 2009.

There is a lot of depth in these lines and we should all read and remember them.

A sad day for all of us.

RIP Binos

Dushan

parabellum
25th Aug 2010, 22:07
Very sad and very premature.

Rest in peace Chris.

TBirdFrank
25th Aug 2010, 22:35
Not what I wanted to read after a day out enjoying life - but a reminder that is exactly what we must do, because it runs out to its own timetable and not ours.

I hope that this whole thread will be made known to those officiating, and printed off, so that his wider sphere of Pprune pals - and acquaintances - becomes known to his family so that they can see how well thought of he was right around this world of ours - not just a cyber world - but a real world where real friendships are made and valued.

Paracab
25th Aug 2010, 22:53
Dreadful news, not been here for a week or two and this happens. Safe final flight Binos. We argue and bitch on here like billy-o then something like this comes along and for once we all sing off the same sheet. Wouldn't have it any other way :sad::{

BRL
25th Aug 2010, 23:32
Terrible news, I am really saddened to read this, I am gutted.

R.I.P Chris, you were a top bloke mate.

jet_noseover
25th Aug 2010, 23:54
Sad.
We have exchanged e-mails/pm's for a time. I had no idea he was sick.

You'll be missed Chris!!:{

Romeo Delta
26th Aug 2010, 00:11
Say not in grief 'he is no more' but live in thankfulness that he was.

Exactly. I've always believed that one should not mourn the loss, but rejoice in the life that was lived.

Here's to a life worthy of rejoicing.

galaxy flyer
26th Aug 2010, 00:21
Thanks for the photo, Alec. RIP Chris

GF

Radar66
26th Aug 2010, 00:50
Here's a pic of Binos that he sent me a while back. As I've said on the other thread, I crossed swords with him many times, on here and elsewhere, but would have never wished this death on him or his family. A difficult, entertaining and highly knowledgeable character.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb122/Radar66/pprune%20pics/binos.jpg

Thank you for the link Flaps.

CityofFlight
26th Aug 2010, 00:58
I was praying for a miracle, but it was not to be. Chris, wishing you all the peace on the next leg of your journey and I am glad I got to know you outside of Pprune. I know how much you loved and adored your daughters and I can't fathom the depth of their loss.

allan907
26th Aug 2010, 05:18
We "discussed" matters on many an occasion. Farewell my friend.

V2-OMG!
26th Aug 2010, 05:37
As a relatively-new member, I also crossed swords (or should I say salad tongs) on that memorable caesar-salad thread.

I have a feeling Binos got a kick out of my rebuttal (but would never admit to it).

Binos was obviously an erudite, but complicated individual during his "salad days" here.

Hope he found that elusive peace at the end of the runway.

redsnail
26th Aug 2010, 17:33
Oh gutted to read this. Yep, I was hoping for a miracle but it was not to be.

I hope he told his daughters just how proud he was of them.

Bino's, you'll be missed. :(

larssnowpharter
26th Aug 2010, 17:42
Sh1t!

Another good guy gone.

unstable load
26th Aug 2010, 18:36
RIP, Sir!!!

10W
26th Aug 2010, 20:08
Thanks for the link Flaps.

Gone but not forgotten. RIP Binos.

Ozzy
27th Aug 2010, 00:00
RIP Binos, not much more I can add to what has been written.

Ozzy

lexxity
27th Aug 2010, 08:59
Just to add my deepest sympathies to the Binos family. RIP Chris, you'll be missed. x

Krystal n chips
27th Aug 2010, 16:59
Anybody who is daft enough to put me on their dinner guest list is clearly a very perceptive person.....albeit a virtual dinner sadly as it would have been entertaining I reckon dining with Bino's....and whilst my condolences are genuinely offered I don't think he was the sort of person to wish for lots of maudlin thoughts.......so, Cheers !.:ok: ( insert smilie with large glass of anything you wish here ) ..to one of lifes good guys.

Rollingthunder
27th Aug 2010, 18:00
Sigh....raises a glass to Binos....

green granite
27th Aug 2010, 18:03
Bino's, you'll be missed greatly.

Senior Paper Monitor
27th Aug 2010, 22:36
A glass being raised here - swapped lines with him when I was a previous PPRuNe persona - cheers my virtual friend

Say again s l o w l y
31st Aug 2010, 00:25
Bugger. Cheerio Binos, you'll be missed by many.

singaporegirl
31st Aug 2010, 08:15
Oh no - missed this while I was away. :(

Chris - thank you for the time you spent with us. We'll make sure your spirit lives on.

flapsforty
1st Sep 2010, 08:00
Dear Pruners,

Thank you so much for your kind flowers and thoughts in the last few days.

I was overwhelmed at the number of emails from the PPRuNe network. Thank you so much for informing the other members and please pass on our thanks to them.

Warm regards
Anne Kelly

TheStormyPetrel
17th Oct 2010, 11:45
Well I don't log on often enough, obviously. I am so sad to read, belatedly, that Chris has passed away. He was confronting, caring, full of interesting contradictions and a person well worth knowing. His passing is our loss. Belated condolences to his family.