PDA

View Full Version : Payrise for HKAOA members only

Toe Knee Tiler
22nd Aug 2010, 06:40
As a long time and proud member of the HKAOA I would fully support a negotiated pay increase for members only.

This would have to be welcomed by the company as a cost saving measure whilst they face an inevitable increase in aircrew salaries.

Why should we fight for non members they already get more disposable income by not paying the monthly subs.

Why should they benefit from our hard work.

Captain Dart
22nd Aug 2010, 07:12
Hear hear! :D

Standing by for the abuse and justification for non-membership from 'the usual suspects'...

Comfy chair...check.

Popcorn........check.

404 Titan
22nd Aug 2010, 07:45
Toe Knee Tiler

Do you think it’s in the company interest to see close to 100% AOA membership? That’s great for the AOA but not very good for the company. Therefore it will never happen.

There are other issues that would make such a proposal illegal, even in Hong Kong and most certainly in ports where on-shoring has occurred.

And before anyone starts shooting me I am an AOA member and have been one continuous since I joined the company.

WaldoPepper
22nd Aug 2010, 08:58
But they've already done this before?

A few years ago, the ground & office staff were given a few % payrise. The pilots got nothing. CX claimed that the pilots get an "increment" and so effectively got a payrise.

So what about all the pilots who have topped out at the top of the respective payscales? They got nothing, and what was done about it?

You guessed it…nothing!

flyingkiwi
23rd Aug 2010, 10:46
be really carefull what you wish for..

step 1) offer AOA members 8% payrise... you are happy.
step 2) offer nonmembers 12% payrise ..with 3 weeks to accept..... watch AOA membership hit 5%. company very happy.

404 Titan
23rd Aug 2010, 13:00
flyingkiwi

Refer to my post #3. While it is opposite to the original thread starter’s proposition, this scenario would also be illegal, even in Hong Kong. Try it on an onshored base and the company would be in serious legal trouble.

WaldoPepper

You're talking about different employee groups on different contracts. The company can and have played the pay rise for pilots on different contracts before and that is legal though in my opinion morally bankrupt, but to base a payrise of union membership is most definately illegal.