PDA

View Full Version : Reply font size fouled up

slowto280
21st Aug 2010, 19:50
In the past, when I wanted to reply on a thread, a default font and size would come up, the standard f &s you see on almost all of the posts. Now for some reason, some strange font comes up (times new roman?.....) and very small size. Sometimes, even in the middle of a post, the font and size will change. My computer took a nose dive when I recently did an update on it. Could that be causing this or am I just missing something (left here for effect, it just changed.....) I shouldn't be missing?? Thanks for your help.:D

PS. I previewed the post, and even though in the text box I am typing in it shows times new roman, the post shows arial or whatever, just small.

Jetdriver
21st Aug 2010, 20:32
The edit construction shows that you are instigating the changes yourself with regard to font size and script.

Looking back over the last few posts this has occurred on a couple of occaisions.

Although the facility exists to use these edits, it is not wise to use them for "individuality" purposes (along with signatures, avatars, advertising and other meaningless clutter,) as they either tend to get edited back to default size and script, or removed.

BOAC
21st Aug 2010, 21:23
slow - I have had that too, but generally between site visits - I think it is a bug. We will see if Saab has any ideas. In the meantime, you can try selecting the whole text and then choose the font size and face and see if that works.

bnt
22nd Aug 2010, 09:55
You always have the option to remove all formatting: select the text in question, then hit the button at the very top left of the toolbar. Alternatively, if you want to see all the formatting tags in your text, hit the top right button. In this mode, you can paste text from another source and all formatting will be stripped off.

slowto280
22nd Aug 2010, 11:07
I guess I am instigating the changes, but only because in the text box, as I type, the text shows as a small times new roman (or similar), and I assume that is what will show on post. In the Title text box above, the correct font and size shows.

I think I found the issue; the 'Switch Editor Mode' button, you eluded to BNT, I clicked once and it now looks like the 'correct' font and size now show in the text box. Thanks!!

If it happens again in the next week, I 'm good to go, but any time after that, all bets are off. :ok:

Oh sh..........., now with proper font showing, smile icons show as text when selected. Back to the drawing board, I guess. :ugh:

BOAC
22nd Aug 2010, 12:04
Now I'm getting text instead of smilies every now and then:confused:

bnt
22nd Aug 2010, 22:35
Oh sh..........., now with proper font showing, smile icons show as text when selected. Back to the drawing board, I guess. :ugh:
Hang on a mo - are you editing the post when that happens? That top right button changes the editor mode, between "what you see is what you get" (i.e. it looks like it will after you post it), and a plain text mode that shows the tags that are hidden in WYSIWYG mode. But that doesn't change the actual content of your post, only how it's displayed as you're editing it. As you can see, the "ugh" smiley still works in the finished post, even though it looked wrong during editing.

I recommended that so you can see any normally-hidden tags that are making your posts look weird. If you go back and edit your first post, and change editor mode, you'll see this:

[size=3][font=Arial]... which is why it looks odd. If you don't want that, delete those tags - that's all.

BOAC
23rd Aug 2010, 07:23
bnt - I can assure you this is real. A recent post on another forum came up with :confused instead of :confused: until I 'edited' and restored the post.

slowto280
23rd Aug 2010, 13:14
Yes, and another recent thread here - 'Strange changes on Pprune' (or something to that effect) indicates something out of the ordinary is in fact going on. Picked a bad time to stop sniffing glue.............:rolleyes:

Saab Dastard
23rd Aug 2010, 18:19
I don't know if it is connected, but there have been several changes under the bonnet over the past few weeks, most recently an update to the latest version of MySQL in preparation for the move to VB4.

However, I have not experienced any problems on a variety of PCs and a variety of browsers.

I do think that browser add-ins and security settings account for a high proportion of oddities that are experienced. It takes a while to tailor things just so, then if one small thing changes, lots of things go peculiar.

Oh yes, and clearing out the cache and cookies... ;)

SD

slowto280
24th Aug 2010, 07:55
As I mentioned previously, my computer basically went TU after I updated/upgraded (????) to IE 8, so as you said, that could very well have caused this snafu for me. I ended up buying a new, much needed machine but have yet to figure(as in configure too) it out so I can take full advantage of it's beauty. Pretty crappy nowadays how new computers basically come loaded with a big zero.:suspect: