PDA

View Full Version : Builder's Tea

Rollingthunder
21st Aug 2010, 09:36
RAF tea, Navy tea, Army tea, Canteen tea, Tea lady, some of it is good. Prefer builder's tea. Puts a spring in your step so you can sit down and watch mates pretend to work.

CathayBrat
21st Aug 2010, 09:42
Navy tea, nato style :ok:

beaufort1
21st Aug 2010, 09:52
Lighthouse tea.

Blinkin' near water.:}

Lon More
21st Aug 2010, 09:53
0600, down the hole at Southern Radar, first assistant on the Morning chucks a 1/4 pound packet of NAAFI tea into the boiler, fills if with water and switches it on. About 0800 another pack of tea is added, the boiler refilled, and the process repeats, This goes on through the day until the last Assistant on the Afternoon, using the trowel provided, empties it down the bog and rinses it out. It was only ever cleaned before an inspection - with Vim - as were the mugs, Vim was about the only thing that would remove the tannine stain from them.

Whirlygig
21st Aug 2010, 10:30
Vim contains bleach and bleach should never be put in mugs as it can destroy the structure of the stonware or china and the mugs could be more prone to cracking and breaking.

Use Steradent instead for removing tannin stains. :ok:

Used to be able to get a brand of tea bag called Builders' Tea; good and strong it was but Messrs TE Stockwell & Cohen no longer stocks it so now on Yorkshire Tea (hard water).

Captain Scott's expedition blend also good.

Nato standard - one sugar whereas builders' tea must have at least three sugars to qualify, preferably six. :}

Cheers

Whirls

henry crun
21st Aug 2010, 10:35
I use a Scotch Brite pad to remove tannin stains.

Um... lifting...
21st Aug 2010, 10:44
Wouldn't let this fellow near any hot drinks...

http://www.sirearevalo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/bob-the-builder-icon-v8.jpg

Captain Scott's expedition blend also good.

Since Scott got his clock cleaned by Amundsen and then died with all members of his party on the way back to boot... how good, I mean, really... could it possibly be.

SilsoeSid
21st Aug 2010, 12:56
Nato standard - one sugar whereas builders' tea must have at least three sugars to qualify, preferably six

...and which NATO is this then?

SilsoeSid
21st Aug 2010, 13:00
Blimey, it's been a while since I've seen a thread get smaller as fast as this one!

Gainesy
21st Aug 2010, 13:06
One notes that NAAFI tea and, I think, coffee can now be purchased in some civvy street shops.

God knows why, they're both complete shite which were purchased by a captive audience.

NAAFI---No Ambition And [email protected]*&all Interest.

Makes SPAR look posh.:yuk:

Lon More
21st Aug 2010, 13:07
Vim contains bleach and bleach should never be put in mugs

But it was "Industrial Strength" compared to VIM!! and, believe me, it was neccessary.

I think most of the LS WAAFs brushed their teeth with it too.

Firestorm
21st Aug 2010, 13:27
Two bags of Yorkshire Gold fell out of my Daily Telegraph today. I'll save it for my Dad who like Yorkshire tea.

Lon More
21st Aug 2010, 13:32
You sure it was tea Firestorm? Yorkshire Gold sounds a bit like a UK grown weed. Those dealers are getting pretty inventive

Radar66
21st Aug 2010, 13:43
Yorkshire tea is the best builder's tea you can get on civvy street IMHO... far better than that monkey stuff. :ok:

http://britishonlinesupermarket.com/acatalog/yorkshire_tea.jpg

That gold stuff is just a mincy marketing ploy Firey - don't fall for it! :}

goudie
21st Aug 2010, 13:49
and which NATO is this then?
The one after France opted out perhaps?

Tick in the box for Yorkshire Tea here as well, Radz

Firestorm
21st Aug 2010, 13:49
LM: that's why I'll try it on my Dad!

Radar: you know that I'm not that exciting. Change my blend of tea? After all these years? I'm not sure...

Matari
21st Aug 2010, 13:54
We have a "British Novelties" shoppe downtown, where a kind English bloke sells all sorts of British goods at prices much cheaper than one can find in Britain. (Note, price not inclusive of 8.5% tax. Be prepared to dig for a few cents change).

My wife is fond of Devon clotted cream, so we're headed there today to pick some up.

I will ask for "Yorkshire Tea," and "Builder's Tea." If the shoppe-keeper falls over laughing I'll duly report back.

Once I get home I will do a taste test between cheapo Lipton bagged tea, Earl Grey, and whatever the supposedly "authentic" tea is that I can find at the British shoppe. I will even use the proper tea kettle we bought while in Europe, as if that has something to do with anything.

I suspect this supposed difference in boiled water infused with plant leaves is yet again much ado about nothing, but if there is a difference I should be able to tell, right?

Before you lot say that my unsophisticated palate could not possibly tell the difference between a fine "proper" English tea and a septic imitation, I can say that in a recent taste test with the neighbors, I was able to tell the difference between Jose Cuervo Gold and Jose Cuervo Tradicional. I have yet to fully recover.

Standard Noise
21st Aug 2010, 14:01
Punjana or Nambarrie, Northern Irish blends. Decent strength teas which are used to make 'shipyard tea', the sort of tea you can stand yer spoon up in.

G-CPTN
21st Aug 2010, 14:29
The mention of a 'tea kettle' raises a question.
Most teapots don't include a source of heat, but require boiling water to be produced externally by some other means, yet the importance of having boiling water to infuse the tea is always stressed - and warming the pot beforehand is deemed essential.

Why not have a combined kettle and teapot so that the infusion is guaranteed to occur at boiling point?

IIRC, many workers would take a billy-can to their work containing tealeaves and sugar requiring only the addition of boiling water (supplied by their employer - or the workers would create a fire to boil their own). I don't know whether the water was ever boiled from cold together with the tealeaves.

goudie
21st Aug 2010, 14:30
Scotch, two lumps, is an excellent taste enhancer in any tea.

Sirikit
21st Aug 2010, 14:41
http://londonkoreanlinks.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Tea-Topiary.jpg

This giant tea topiary welcomes you to the Hadong Tea Festival.

Five Effects of Tea

1. Helps one to absorb oneself in reading, and quenches one’s thirst.

2. Remove one’s spleen in one’s mind.

3. Help one keep a polite rapport and a sincere relationship with guests.

4. Remove parasites from one’s body.

5. Eliminates a hangover.:suspect:

Six Efficacies of Tea

1. Helps one lead a long life.

2. Helps diseases to be healed.

3. Makes the spirit clean.

4. Makes one's mind comfortable.

5. Makes one a Taoist hermit with superpowers.:ok:

6. Makes one courteous.:p

Hanjae Yi Mok (1471-1498)

Mmm, more tea, Vicar?:E

sitigeltfel
21st Aug 2010, 15:13
the sort of tea you can stand yer spoon up in.Only softies use tea spoons. Screwdriver, pencil, ruler or anything else from the toolbox are flavour enhancers.

G-CPTN
21st Aug 2010, 15:18
I have a six-inch - but I don't use it as a rule . . .

oxenos
21st Aug 2010, 16:03
Matari
It has not been possible to get a decent cup of tea in the US since that unfortunate episode at Boston some years ago.

Tankertrashnav
21st Aug 2010, 16:15
All you really need to know is here

A Nice Cup of Tea - Essay by George Orwell - Charles' George Orwell Links (http://www.netcharles.com/orwell/essays/nicecupoftea.htm)

As G CPTN has pointed out - boiling water is crucial - water you boiled a couple of minutes ago just doesnt do it - which is why you simply cannot get a decent cup of tea over the pond - they just cannot grasp this point.

That, and their bloody silly tiny teabags with strings like tampons as Mr Draper recently pointed out on another thread!

Radar66
21st Aug 2010, 17:22
Did many ski saisons in France for a number of successive years, and oft drove over. Most years was in my old faithful trusty diesel peugeot 205 piled high to the roof and beyond with all necessary kit and boxes upon boxes of that monkey tea (this was before my yorkshire tea days) secreted in all available gaps, under the seats, squidged up against the roof, passenger footwell, in plastic bags in the middle of the external spare wheel, amongst others. This was after I'd learnt my lesson from that ghastly Lipton Yellow stuff - I ended up using a minimum of four tea bags per mug just to get SOMETHING resembling an english cuppa!

The french customs used to just wave me through.... :D

However, once there, froggy friends just could not 'get' tea and used to get most affronted when I insisted on making my own tea in their houses. Naturally none of them had a kettle and they just couldn't understand why I insisted on boiling water in the saucepan instead of using the jet from their coffee machines. Eventually when I explained the concept of 'shocking' the flavour from the leaves and showing them a clear cup of tea made with boiling water and a murky scummy topped cuppa made with 'hot' water they sort of understood.

However the fight that still remains to this day is their total incomprehension as to why the lait must be, nay, HAD to be FROID dammit!!! AND none of that long life stuff please! :ugh:
IIRC, the best milk that could be found in most supermarches went under the trade moniker of 'Candida'... :uhoh:

Lon More
21st Aug 2010, 17:32
Screwdriver, pencil, ruler or anything else

Favourite round here is a ball-point pen, usually after it has been used to give the owner's lugs a good rooting :ooh:

v/SE5IfIkl_oA?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/SE5IfIkl_oA?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

and for those down in Zummerzet, Worzel Gummidge

v/_LdVbOlkMlU?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_LdVbOlkMlU?fs=1&amp;hl=nl_NL" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

cleo
21st Aug 2010, 17:34
The proper way to obtain a decent cuppa is to employ a proper TeaLady!
Heavens Above - I have had requests from the colonies to send proper supplies to the TeaGirl who now practices the gentle art of tea making for their natives.;)

Capetonian
21st Aug 2010, 18:10
I see someone has mentioned Nambarrie tea. On a recent trip to Northern Ireland I bought some as a souvenir of a thoroughly enjoyable few days in that lovely part of the UK - probably the friendliest people in the country.

Apart from Lipton Yellow Label, which under the Trade Descriptions Act should not be called tea but 'an infusion vaguely tasting of tea with a subtle hint of battery acid and the tang of drain cleaner', it is quite the worst tea I have ever tasted.

Even my lovely lady friend from 'Derry agrees with me!

Sirikit
21st Aug 2010, 19:13
However the fight that still remains to this day is their total incomprehension as to why the lait must be, nay, HAD to be FROID dammit!!! AND none of that long life stuff please! :ugh:
Everyone thinks it's the British that started the whole tea thing but...in fact, according to reknown letter-writer, Madame de Sévigné (1626 to 1696), tea first arrived in Paris in 1636 (22 years before it appeared in England!) and quickly became popular among the aristocracy.

Even Marie-Antoinette took tea all the time. And it was a Frenchwoman, the Marquise de la Sablière, who initiated the fashion of adding milk to tea. She took her tea with milk, as she told me the other day, because it was to her taste" reported Madame de Sévigné. (By the way, the English delighted in this "French touch" and immediately adopted it.)

But....why go to France to drink tea when you can drink Eau de Vie?:p

Blame the French!:p French men are sexy!:ok:

lexxity
21st Aug 2010, 19:43
Yorkshire tea? Don't be soft. You want a good cup of Lancashire tea. :ok:

Sirikit
21st Aug 2010, 19:45
Yorkshire Tea is dégueulasse and I live in Harrogate!:p

Tankertrashnav
21st Aug 2010, 19:52
IIRC, the best milk that could be found in most supermarches went under the trade moniker of 'Candida'... http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/worry.gif

Bet you were just itching to try that Radz ;)

Ok, ok, I'm going!

Juliet Sierra Papa
21st Aug 2010, 20:04
Was offered a cuppa in Vet's waiting room once, 2 lumps and milk duly added but nowt to stir with. A quick recce on the counter and Voila, a spare thermometer just lying around....:uhoh:

Sirikit
21st Aug 2010, 20:05
Was it Five Roses, Juliet?

Gotta tell you that you got to be careful about thermometers if you're in France cos of where they tend to put them.:{

Can't understand their obsession for some things always having to go up one's derrière!:{ Ooh, la, la!!!!!!!:E

More tea, Monseigneur?:O

Radar66
21st Aug 2010, 20:13
Tank.... ;)

(By the way, the English delighted in this "French touch" and immediately adopted it.)

:= Uh uh. Fine tuned it, IF you please.
After all, this thread is about English/Builders tea, is it not? Earl Grey, Lapsang Souchong, Green Tea, and all others including herbal teas belong to another thread and another occasion. :)

Sirikit
21st Aug 2010, 20:16
:= Uh uh. Fine tuned it, IF you please.
After all, this thread is about English/Builders tea, is it not? Earl Grey, Lapsang Souchong, Green Tea, and all others including herbal teas belong to another thread and another occasion. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

But....isn't this a global tea community? I would welcome you amending the thread title accordingly.:ok:

Pardonnez-moi....do builders belong only to the English?:confused:

You mentioned the French, dearie!:p

Rolling....Please be more community-specific in your 'English' thread titles, sire!

Sorry, I get confuzzed often.:{

Reminds me of Pulp Fiction:-

Vincent: All right. Well, you can walk into a movie theater in Amsterdam and buy a beer. And I don't mean just like in no paper cup, I'm talking about a glass of beer. And in Paris, you can buy a beer at McDonald's. And you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with Cheese in Paris?
Jules: They don't call it a Quarter Pounder with Cheese?
Vincent: Nah, man, they got the metric system, they wouldn't know what the f^^^ a Quarter Pounder is.
Jules: What do they call it?
Vincent: They call it a "Royale with Cheese (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/fr:Royal_Cheese)".
:confused:

sitigeltfel
21st Aug 2010, 20:32
No use taking your favourite brew with you when you travel. What tastes like nectar in one country can have the flavour of brake fluid in the next due to the local water. It takes weeks of experimenting to find something acceptable, if you have the time, that is!

In Scotland my favourite was Nambarrie, here Liptons Yellow Label hits the spot.

Rollingthunder
21st Aug 2010, 20:48
North English (Manchester)born, Canadian. Builders here drink coffee but can waste time with the best of them.

SilsoeSid
21st Aug 2010, 22:33
and which NATO is this then?

The one after France opted out perhaps?

So where are we now then? Back to two sugars? ;)

Back on the subject, best brew has got to be a free brew :ok:

Free Twinings Tea (http://www.twinings.co.uk/free-tea/)
Free Tea Samples, Free Samples and our Big Free Tea Sample Company List (http://www.freeleaf.com/)

Blacksheep
21st Aug 2010, 22:34
I use a Scotch Brite pad to remove tannin stains.I just use a brown mug.

I brew what the monkeys drink. So does the Savoy. :ok:

Sirikit
21st Aug 2010, 23:04
So does the Savoy.

I don't know about you but I can't manage 30+++ pounds' worth of cucumber sandwiches and scones!! But I do know that lots of people like the experience.

English Builders - If you are looking for a cheaper version, try The Wolsley or Fortnum and Mason.:ok:

I only ever go to this one for value for money...not many English builders there though:-

National Portrait Gallery - Portrait Restaurant (http://www.npg.org.uk/visit/food/restaurant.php)

OMFG!!! I feel a Michael Winner moment hot flush!:suspect:

Rollingthunder - Is it one builder or two, hmm? I just don't know where to place my apostrophe.:confused:

parabellum
22nd Aug 2010, 05:39
When I used to go to the USA quite a lot I drank Bigelow's English Teatime, found it to be pretty good, carried my own dip stick to bring room service water back to the boil though.

Here in Oz there is a special way of brewing tea in a billy can that is swung around several times, I think the brew includes a lot of tea leaves and condensed milk!:yuk:

ExSp33db1rd
22nd Aug 2010, 06:14
Lighthouse tea.

Blinkin' near water

many moons ago, around the time that low alcohol beer was introduced, an Aus. brewery produced one called L.A. - maybe for Light Ale,dunno.

The local diggers immediately called it Love Afloat

(F*****G near water )

Sorry - couldn't resisit that - now, back to tea.

Radar66
22nd Aug 2010, 11:10
I'm personally not too bothered where I drink my tea, as long it is good. My personal taste ranges from the Fashionita's Tea (http://www.the-berkeley.co.uk/fashionista_tea.aspx) at the Berkeley through to the honour of being invited into one of the London cabbies' tea sheds (http://www.creamteaclub.com/cabmansshelter.htm).

The best cuppa is still the one made at home though. :ok:

Storminnorm
22nd Aug 2010, 11:13
Yup! Nothing to beat home-brew.
Always the FIRST job on arriving back from foreign parts.

Personal favourite, Sainsburgs' Red Label.

Although one did quite like Jasmine tea at one stage whilst
working in A'dam. Drunk without milk or sugar, just as it is.
But the Dutch tea was rubbish.

Ancient Observer
22nd Aug 2010, 13:25
Para - given that they put eucalyptus tree leaves in to it, rather than tea leaves, no wonder it tastes awful.

Great Tea museum near the Botanical grardens on HKG Central.

G-CPTN
22nd Aug 2010, 14:40
I think the brew includes a lot of tea leaves and condensed milkI'd forgotten about condensed milk . . .

wings folded
22nd Aug 2010, 15:50
I'd forgotten about condensed milk . . .

Condensed milk is best forgotten.

But not in an open container at the back of the fridge......

Blacksheep
22nd Aug 2010, 16:34
Teh Tarek or "Pulled Tea" is a Malaysian favourite. Made by boiling tea powder in a cotton sock like device, mixing it with condensed milk and then pulling it. Goes down a treat with Roti Chanai for breakfast. :ok:

gJ5iAx5TDyc

tony draper
22nd Aug 2010, 18:22
Letchy Evaporato ok for making cocoa,
bashed four to one with water that's all we got at sea, letchy Condensaro we got on Sundays,you have no idea how a Englishman can lust after fresh milk when deprived of same for three months.
:)

Cardinal Puff
22nd Aug 2010, 18:38
Rat pack tea made from the crud dug out of the treads of the tyres on the tea warehouse forklift.:yuk: Probably find better tasting stuff wrung out of my socks after a 30 day patrol.

Still, one choked it down to sate one's addiction. Sup around ten litres of the stuff daily but at least it's a better quality tea nowadays. Quite a tasty Froggie cuppa called Sourabaya made from flower scented rooibos but one still prefers something stewed for a while in which a teaspoon can be encouraged to remain at the vertical.

G-CPTN
22nd Aug 2010, 19:00
For those that value their cuppa, compare the contents of a teabag with 'loose tea'.

Mechta
22nd Aug 2010, 20:33
Tea or Coffee specs:

Whoopi Goldberg - Black, none
Julie Andrews - White, none
Adolf Hitler - White, one
NATO Standard - White, two

Are there any others. e.g. black, one or black, two?

I'm notorious for drinking weak tea, yet both Lidl's own (allegedly sweepings off the factory floor...) and the ones they sell in Israel with a Polish-sounding name (no, not Mr Sheen:}) both needed two teabags to give me something I could drink.

G-CPTN
22nd Aug 2010, 20:41
I'm not a lover of strong tea, my ideal cuppa is a 'quick' (short) infusion of Darjeeling loose tea.

I can't be doing with fancy flavoured teas like Earl Grey either.

I do enjoy the tea served in Chinese restaurants, however.

Fangio
22nd Aug 2010, 21:39
I'd forgotten about condensed milk . . .

During National Service in the Royal Air Force back in the 50's I can remember the formula for tea used by the cooks, they made it in a tall galvanised bucket, it was 3 handfulls of tea, six handfulls of sugar, a tin of condensed milk and topped up with with boiling water and gratefully received on a cold night by the poor sods on guard duty.

Blacksheep
22nd Aug 2010, 22:33
you have no idea how a Englishman can lust after fresh milk when deprived of same for three months.http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gifWe were sent to Gan (in the Maldives) to change an engine on a stranded Belfast (loaded with depth charges). The poor buggas there did 13 months unaccompanied - with no fresh milk ration. We had the run of the Line Servicing Squadron - just help yourselves lads, but don't touch the milk! Milk? We were watched very carefully whenever we went into the fridge for a cold drink. They had two bottles of milk in there that someone had "borrowed" from a transit VC10. We were so grateful for their hospitality that, when we got back to Brize Norton, we sent two crates of fresh milk back down the route to Gan.

Fresh milk was second only to female company on a Gannite's wanted list.

ChampChump
22nd Aug 2010, 22:44
Brought up on and therefore loosely addicted to Quick Brew, now only available mail order & at hugely inflated prices and with stockpile exhausted, I had to develop a taste for Something Else.

The only good thing about this is that Something Else can be Anything Else* until new addiction kicks in.

* Excludes anything with a colour or designed to be made like Lemsip.

Tankertrashnav
23rd Aug 2010, 09:06
Fresh milk was second only to female company on a Gannite's wanted list.

I remember Gan as somewhere people wanted to get away from. On a Victor detachment in the 70's one of our guys was asked by the detachment commander if he could organise some sports. "Sorry sir, but Im already tied up running the escape committee" was the reply.

Now I am amused that people spend large sums going to the Maldives. I hope they've managed to clear the beaches of stone fish!

MagnusP
23rd Aug 2010, 11:51
By preference, loose darjeeling made in a teapot.
In a hurry, Scottish Blend bag in a mug.

Gainesy
23rd Aug 2010, 12:33
People were fighting to get a Gan posting when I was in, look at the other unaccompanied alternatives Sharjah etc...

Specially Geordies: "Amgannagantaganhin".

(Er, I made that bit up).

Fareastdriver
23rd Aug 2010, 13:07
Long Life milk replaced powdered milk in Labuan in late 1966 packed in one pint boxes. Blokes were coming out of the sticks, tearing off a corner and drinking it straight down; two or three of them.
The Chinese rely on coffee for their tea. The standard form is to stuff a handful of green tea in a coffee jar and then fill it with hot water. When the liquid is used up it is refilled with hot water and one carries on. Surprisingly the strength of the tea at the last, possibly fifth fill, is as strong as the first.

27mm
23rd Aug 2010, 14:15
At school breakfast and tea-time, large aluminium teapots would be distributed around the tables in the dining hall; each teapot held about 3 pints of the worst tasting tea imaginable. After tea one day, while clearing the empty pots, we looked into one of them to see if real tea was actually used - we found in each pot the remains of instant tea powder held in a knotted pair of ladies tights.......:yuk:

Dop
24th Aug 2010, 14:38
What I want to know just exactly where are the great Tea plantations of Yorkshire?

The second worst tea ever was the tea they used to have in the church hall when I was dragged along to beetle drives in my distant youth. Always had a funny taste to it.

The very very worst tea ever just has to be any tea that comes out of a machine.

tony draper
24th Aug 2010, 15:09
Yorkshire Tea tea bags are one's particular tipple at the mo, tried the Ringtons door to door tea bloke's product occasionally but I find sometimes it makes a good cuppa and next packet you open tiz weak as maidens water,poor quality control I reckon.

Rule3
24th Aug 2010, 16:54
About 25 years ago subbied 3 Yugoslav Brickies to do a house extension.
Morning tea consisted of a mug of strong black tea with a 4oz glass of home made Slivovitz { aka Plum Brandy or more correctly Rocket Fuel} to beat the Winter cold, and a slab of pork belly and bread.:D

Blacksheep
24th Aug 2010, 21:47
Birthday bash on Monday was High Tea at the Dorchester. They don't do Builders Tea nor, despite their SE Asia connection, do they have Teh Tarek. Had to make do with plain old Assam to wash down the caviar and smoked salmon. :hmm:

Lon More
24th Aug 2010, 22:44
On Nights, my Boss, a Yorkshireman (Gerry Wigglesworth), alays used to nick most of my flask of tea. One night he moaned that it hadn't tasted the same and I told him my ex had made it and she didn't P in the pot to warm it like I did:sad: I think he was uncertain if that was true but at least it stopped him nicking it again

parabellum
24th Aug 2010, 23:11
The very very worst tea ever just has to be any tea that comes out of a machine.

Would disagree only slightly. The worst tea I have tasted was when working for Aunt Betty, it was made with chlorinated water!:yuk:

Whirlygig
24th Aug 2010, 23:25
The worst cup of tea is one made by someone who is also making a coffee and they get a grain or smidgeon of coffee in the tea. One grain. Yes, I can taste it. :yuk:

Cheers

Whirls

Radar66
24th Aug 2010, 23:32
Agree Whirls - meee tooooo... :yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

Lon More
25th Aug 2010, 07:25
I take bottled water to the UK now to make tea and coffee. The water in Hawkinge is chlorinated, probably not so much that the natives notice it, but definitely noticeable to me.

Cardinal Puff
25th Aug 2010, 07:39
Had to make do with plain old Assam to wash down the caviar and smoked salmon.

How you must have suffered, Mr Sheep.

Best tea is that from a flask, preferably Earl Grey or Lapsang Souchong, piping hot while leaning against the bakkie watching the hounds run about in the frost covered veld on a Highveld winter morning at sunrise.

tony draper
25th Aug 2010, 07:56
Worked with a chap who hailed from a Pit Village called Washington,he used to bring in a flask of what he described as tea,cold no milk no sugar and very very weak, barely past the colour of pure water, he gave me a swig once and have to admit it was most refreshing,this is the brew Pitmen took down the mine,so it was called obviously Pitmans tea.
Still, one prefers the Builders Variety
The above mentioned Village of Washinton is the original not the copy they built across the pond.

Blacksheep
25th Aug 2010, 08:00
Oh how I suffered!
The best cuppa I ever had was taken from a chipped, tannin stained mug, while standing on the roof platform of our office at Tribhuvan airport one frosty March morning, watching the sun rise over the Himal. That was Darjeeling, boiled in a billy, strained through a muslin cloth and served with yak milk. Warms the cockles and sets one up for the day... :ok:

MagnusP
25th Aug 2010, 09:14
Any city/town tea is blighted by the water's recent acquaintance with someone's kidneys.

Parapunter
25th Aug 2010, 09:16
I cannot drink Tea in the mornings & I can't drink anything else in the afternoons. Never worked out why.

Typhoo for me, being a pleb and all.

hellsbrink
25th Aug 2010, 09:58
I know the feeling, Para, most mornings I MUST have coffee (none of that instant garbage either, won't have it in the house) but after the second pot I tend to turn to one of the Twinings tea blends, especially English Brekkie, Assam, Darjeeling or Prince of Wales.

There's a simple reason for it, after a certain amount of coffee my gut gets upset (ulcer) and even someone with a caffeine addiction like mine can get hyper after too much of the stuff.

tony draper
25th Aug 2010, 10:21
Not mine Mr P,my water comes straight from Kielder Water.:)

MagnusP
25th Aug 2010, 10:36
Ah, FSL, so it's just sheep, deer and piscine piddle you have to contend with.

tony draper
25th Aug 2010, 10:46
Dunno if one has become more couth as one has aged but one now decries pots and drink tea from a proper cup and saucer,however one draws the line at holding one's little finger up like some fop,there are steps beyond which one refuses to go.
One suspects there is a lot of little finger holding aloft in that Dorchester Cafe Mr Blacksheep patronises.

G-CPTN
25th Aug 2010, 11:12
Drinking tea from a saucer is a skill to be learned . . .

Blacksheep
25th Aug 2010, 11:34
Little finger holding? Nah! They were all foreigners in there. We British can hardly afford to take tea in there any more. There was a bit of little finger holding at the Royal Aeronautical Society just down the road though. I suspect they were pilots. We should never have let them in. :rolleyes:

tony draper
25th Aug 2010, 11:40
They furriners drink tea through a rubber tube,hmmm, or is that they smoke through a rubber tube.
:uhoh:

Gainesy
25th Aug 2010, 11:45
With Heavy rain forecast the other night, I left a pint jug out where it could gather pure rain water and not be sullied by drips from trees etc. Tea of the Gods was the plan.
Some bloody bird pooed in it.:uhoh:

Though a Yorkshireman, I don't like the Yorkshire Tea, water down here is maybe too soft for it, anyroad it tastes crap. Got some of their Gold Star freebie in't paper t'other day but not tried it as yet. My usual hot tipple for the last 15 odd years is Twining's Breakfast Tea. Strong and refreshing.

Went off coffee, practically overnight, about 20 years ago, but just sort of edging back into it. Same-same wine, no idea why.:confused:

They let pilots in the Scout Hut?:suspect:

Lon More
25th Aug 2010, 11:48
Drinking tea from a saucer is a skill to be learned . .

I read somewhere that originally tea was poured from the cup into the saucer and drunk from that

Parapunter
25th Aug 2010, 11:48
Wish I would go off wine overnight, porky bitch that I am.

G-CPTN
25th Aug 2010, 11:51
Still practiced in parts of Yorkshire, I believe . . .

Gainesy
25th Aug 2010, 12:50
Para, I don't think wine makes yer fat...:)

Cardinal Puff
25th Aug 2010, 19:40
Little finger holding? Hah! Yer's lucky yers still has all yer digits. Us real blokes in Africky has bits missing from the odd tussle with crocodiles and gnus and such.....:}

We has learned to wear shoes recently, though.