PDA

View Full Version : Adobe Flash Player prompt.

G-CPTN
21st Aug 2010, 00:00
The following appears on the image when I run BBC news-item videos.

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/GroupCaptain/FlashPlayer.jpg

It isn't an option to click on the 'Deny' button as nothing happens, nor does the intrusive prompt disappear - it remains in the centre of the video image and cannot be moved! I cannot cancel it . . .
I consider this to be bullying (I refuse to permit anyone to usurp a MB of my treasured hard drive space willy-nilly), especially as:-
Why do I need to answer this question? The application that you are running in Adobe Flash Player wants to store some information on your computer, but it needs more space than is currently allocated. Flash Player displays the amount of space that is currently being used for storage and requests the maximum amount required to save the information. For example, in the dialog box shown above, 1 kilobyte is currently being used, and a maximum of 1 megabyte is being requested. Note that it is the person or company that has created the application you are using that is requesting such access, not Adobe (unless Adobe has created the application that wants to save the information). In the dialog box shown above, [website] represents the name of the person or company requesting access. It is the responsibility of the person or company requesting access to make it clear to you why they want access and how they plan to use the information they save. You should be aware of the privacy policy of anyone who is requesting access to your computer. For example, see the Adobe privacy policy (http://www.adobe.com/go/privacy). Contact the website requesting access for information on their privacy policy.
It's important to understand that even though this settings panel is part of Flash Player, the information will be used by an application created by a third party. Adobe assumes no responsibility for third-party privacy policies, actions of third-party companies in storing information on your computer, or such companies' use of such data or information.
What kind of information can an application running in Flash Player store on my computer?

The kind of information stored depends on the application. Information can be anything from your user name to your current score in an interactive game to a list of stocks in your portfolio. The application should make it clear what kind of information it wants to store.
Who has access to the information?

This information may be accessed by the application that is currently running in Flash Player or by another application that runs in Flash Player on the same website. Adobe does not have access to this information (unless Adobe has created the application that wants to save the information). As discussed in Why do I need to answer this question? (http://www.pprune.org/#117584) above, it is the responsibility of the website requesting access to make it clear to you why they want access and how they plan to use the information. For example, will it be available only to you, or will it be posted in a public place? Who will have access to it in the future? Will it be deleted after a certain period of time? The privacy policy of anyone who is requesting access should address these sorts of issues.From:- Adobe - Flash Player : Help - Local storage pop-up question (http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/help06.html)

What can I do to rid myself of this scourge?

Where is this information stored?

cats_five
21st Aug 2010, 05:31
Is it permanant or temporary space it wants? If the later I see no problem.

batninth
21st Aug 2010, 09:51
G-CPTN,

Flash is trying to use temporary storage, not to permenantly grab space.

Next time you go to the BBC web site, or YouTube or any other site serving adobe Flash content, put your mouse over the video portion of the screen & right-click your mouse.

You should get a menu telling you about Adobe Flash player & a "Settings..." option (the top line of the menu generally tells you what is sending the video, on the BBC site it tells you which version of the BBC media streamer is running - don't worry about this)

If you select settings you get a small popup with tabs at the bottom that you click to see what options you have. In the middle is a folder symbol and in there is a slider that allows you to allocate temporary space to Flash. If it is set low, then you may want to increase it - on this computer I've allocated 100k which is the same as you have. For some reason BBC streamer wants more, it may be a HD format video. You can set the amount used there, 1MB is neither here nor there, so I'd suggest upping the limit and then the message will stop