PDA

View Full Version : The Red Planet.

Noah Zark.
20th Aug 2010, 20:53
Has anyone seen, heard, can substantiate, or w.h.y. the idea doing the rounds that by the 27th. August, due to all things stellar, Mars will appear as big as the moon to the naked eye, and will not be as close to us again until 2287?
Any info, peeps, or is it a load of tosh?

Parapunter
20th Aug 2010, 20:59
It won't. Laws of physics innit.:cool:

spInY nORmAn
20th Aug 2010, 21:00
Tosh it is!

snopes.com: Mars Close to Earth (http://www.snopes.com/science/astronomy/brightmars.asp)

Juliet Sierra Papa
20th Aug 2010, 21:10
Load of Bollox. Tis a mere pinpoint in size at the moment, as usual. To get close enough to us in the next week to be the same Apparent dia as the moon would bust all laws of physics, I think.

:ok:

Sir George Cayley
20th Aug 2010, 21:17
If it does, please follow all Sc Fi films and run into the street screaming and waving your arms above you head.

SGC

Saintsman
20th Aug 2010, 21:26
I can't believe that people fell for this one. I mean one minute you can't really see it and the next, it's right in your face.

I suppose it could have snuck up on us....

tony draper
20th Aug 2010, 21:32
If Mars is ever appears the same size as the full moon believe me we are in deep poo,because it means either we have moved another 40,000,000 miles further away from the Sun or Mars is on its way in to dunch us.
:hmm:
Mars will never be anything but a point light source to the naked eye even a closest approach to the Earth,at such times it just becomes a much brighter point source of light.
Load of old bollix that be

bugg smasher
20th Aug 2010, 21:38
After watching that Tim Burton film, I've kinda been keeping a close eye on my six...

Tankertrashnav
20th Aug 2010, 21:43
Dont want to worry anyone but Ive heard that Will Smith has been seen near Cape Canaveral where he's undergoing some intensive training ;)

Keef
20th Aug 2010, 21:59
Mars did a "nearest to Earth for umpty centuries" a few years ago, around this time of year if memory serves. The "watch out for it" announcement from that year seems to keep resurfacing every year.

Loose rivets
20th Aug 2010, 22:24
But, but, Richard Burton could see the Martians take off!!

bugg smasher
20th Aug 2010, 22:36
oC5O9NFWZCs

BlueWolf
20th Aug 2010, 23:54
People believe all manner of ludicrous garbage that arrives via Interweb or TV;

1. Bill Gates and AOL will give you $278,346 if you forward this email in a beta-test...my girlfriend's mother's aunt is a lawyer, and she KNOWS this is true :D

2. A poor unfortunate blind crippled orphan in Wogistan who has leprosy and galloping knobrot and has spent the last 27 years chained to a dead elephant, will miraculously recieve 5 cents from some previously unheard-of charity every time someone forwards this email chain letter :D

3. Mars is going to appear as large as the Moon next time the planets line up :D

4. The earth's climate is warming because of man burning fossil fuels, and we're all going to be swamped by rising seas because the ice caps are going to melt :D:D

5. Oil is running out :D:D:D

....etc. Bejesus but people are stupid.
:ok:

You have included 16 images in your message. You are limited to using 15 images so please go back and correct the problem and then continue again.

When did that happen?? :confused: It ruined my intended pattern of an increasing procession of :D's :{

james ozzie
21st Aug 2010, 00:46
This Mars thingy has been doing the rounds for many years; Astronomical Associations around the world periodicaly breath a deep sigh and patiently (re)explain it to the media every few years. The origin was one of the near approaches when it was correctly stated that Mars would appear this size in a telescope The journalist left that crucual bit out and the tale has circulated ever since. And it will probably continue to. The combined power of the media and the net is a bit scary.

Noah Zark.
21st Aug 2010, 19:32
Obviously not as well schooled and worldly (or should I say interplanetarily) wise as my learned fellow Blasters, I did the commonsense thing and asked them!
Thank you all for your input and answers. N.Z.

SilsoeSid
21st Aug 2010, 20:33
As believable as Jeff Goldblum putting a compatible computer virus into an alien spacecraft.

As mentioned here Top Gear - SIARPC Jeff Goldblum 15x06 4-5 - SAPO Vdeos (http://videos.sapo.pt/a5OJslBQbbJIK9Vyn8eb)

OFSO
22nd Aug 2010, 10:45
Of course in Scotland it's a Mars BAR which will appear as large as the moon, after it's been deep-fried, and when held in your right hand silhoueted against the evening sky just before being plunged into your mouth...

(Did I miss out something there ?)

Gainesy
22nd Aug 2010, 14:22
Marianne?:suspect:

TerminalTrotter
22nd Aug 2010, 14:42
Showing yer age, son.

TT

OFSO
22nd Aug 2010, 14:46
yeah, be faithful to the original post !

Gentleman Jim
22nd Aug 2010, 15:31
Noah Zark

I sympathise with you. You asked a straight forward question and got a bunch of smart arse wa*k answers. Never mind, maybe their next s**t will be a hedgehog!

Perhaps a 'No mate, I believe that is untrue and has been misreported' would have done.

BOAC
22nd Aug 2010, 17:01
No mate, I believe that is untrue and has been misreported.

I hear Uranus will be very big next year.

11Fan
22nd Aug 2010, 17:14
But seriously folks, Mars, Saturn and Venus are all above the Western horizon just after sunset, Venus being the brightest. Mars and Saturn are just faint points of light. Later in the evening, Jupiter rises from the East and is visible until dawn. Lastly, if you hold a mirror just right, you can see Uranus quite clearly.

Parapunter
22nd Aug 2010, 17:17
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-PIckHrZ0o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4-PIckHrZ0o?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Noah Zark.
22nd Aug 2010, 20:51
Gentleman Jim,
Thank you for your concern on my behalf, I am very touched. You are a scholar and a gentleman.
However, as a getting-to-be veteran Blaster, I am a seasoned campaigner, although I have a tender, loving side, and believe also that I am in touch with my feminine side, when needs be, and man enough to say so.
I am able to rise above such derisory remark as some of those posted on this thread, and not take umbrage or offence from the miserable set of W******!
;)

tony draper
22nd Aug 2010, 21:07
Just reread the thread,the derisery remarks? seemed to me to be aimed more at the information than the poster? and any post mentioning the planets attracts the Uranus jokes for some reason, as someone who gazed upon the planets telescopically for many years including Mars when near or far I have to say I have never managed to see Uranus.
:)

ZOOKER
22nd Aug 2010, 21:19
If Mars, or any other member of the Solar System appeared in the sky the same apparent size as the Earth's Moon, we are in the doo-doo, Big Time!

Juliet Sierra Papa
22nd Aug 2010, 21:20
the derisery remarks?

Spot on Mr T.D. I also could not find such, in fact the Poster had not even mentioned such in #15. Seems he was provoked by a Stirrer.

BlueWolf
22nd Aug 2010, 21:28
Indeed, just re-read my own offering, it certainly wasn't intended as being derisory, but if it has been taken that way, well, what can I say other than take a concrete pill and harden up.
;)

tony draper
22nd Aug 2010, 21:36
If you wish to witness a poster taken apart metaphorically speaking wait a while until someone new posts he/she thinks the Moon landing were faked or asks how many UFO's the aeroplane drivers here have seen,:E

hellsbrink
22nd Aug 2010, 22:20
Hehehehe

How many UFO's do you think these aeroplane drivers saw before they landed on the moon?

http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/pictures/thumb/s/f/j/sunday_sport.jpg

And how many do you think they saw on the way back?

http://www.cloudcuckooland.biz/bomberonmoonsundaysport1_small.jpg

Noah Zark.
23rd Aug 2010, 09:19
Fer crissake, have you lot had a bad weekend or what? Didn't any of you see the ;) at the end of post # 25? Do try and keep up, please!

rgbrock1
23rd Aug 2010, 14:52
Sir George wrote:

If it does, please follow all Sc Fi films and run into the street screaming and waving your arms above you head.

No need for me to follow SCi Fi films in order to perform the act of screaming and waving of arms above my head. I do this on a nightly basis when my neighbors decide
to host a BBQ at midnight, when other neighbors decide to let their dog out on the deck for the evening (causing said animal to bark and howl at the moon for hours on end), when some additional neighbors decide to unleash a torrent of unruly children at 22:00, etc.

I have found, however, that when running to the street screaming and brandishing a shotgun above ones' waving arms, works wonders with aforementioned neighbors, who usually beat a hasty retreat after witnessing the behavior of "that strange man/weirdo/psychopath next door"

Lon More
23rd Aug 2010, 15:22
Marianne?

Thinking about that has ruined my concentration for the last 15 minutes :}

iws
23rd Aug 2010, 15:40
What was that about the Moon landings being faked? - I think we should be told...

Gentleman Jim
23rd Aug 2010, 15:49
iws

Well you of all people should be told seeing as you probably spent the best part of a student uni grant on two pieces of microscopic 'moon dust' that you keep in a safe place somewhere. I met two guys in China driving Lambos that made their money selling 'Moon Dust' to people. Funny really! Wish i could think of things like that.

So back to your point. We should be told!

OFSO
23rd Aug 2010, 17:27
and believe also that I am in touch with my feminine side, when needs be,

Wish I could, would have saved getting married....

Cacophonix
23rd Aug 2010, 17:38
A little bit of Mars here on PPRuNe...

3Ll1FT27pFY

iws
23rd Aug 2010, 18:04
Jim

I just thought I would dangle a hook to see what might come up this time... (Sorry for that).

Sadly, my need for a Uni grant was several decades before I bought the Moon Dust.

Gentleman Jim
23rd Aug 2010, 18:24
:):);)

Lonewolf_50
23rd Aug 2010, 18:32
I do this on a nightly basis when ... other neighbors decide to let their dog out on the deck for the evening (causing said animal to bark and howl at the moon for hours on end) ...

Are you sure he wasn't barking at Uranus?

(Wait a moment, if he was barking at your moon, the Uranus joke works if the dog espied you dropping the boxer shorts through the back window ... ) :eek:

11Fan
23rd Aug 2010, 18:49
dropping the boxer shorts through the back window

Then the dog would be barking at a full moon.

tony draper
23rd Aug 2010, 18:52
I supposed being pedantic given the present theory of how the Moon formed, it would be more correct to call Moon Dust 'Earth Dust' that has lived on the Moon for about four billion years.
:)

iws
23rd Aug 2010, 18:58
Yes, indeed. And going back another few billion years, star dust.

MagnusP
23rd Aug 2010, 19:03
And going back another few billion years, star dust

Ah yes; the film where Michelle Wossname suddenly developed droopy ladies' bits as the spell ran out.

Hadn't realised it was that old. :ok:

IWS: Up for a glass or two in Edinburgh?

iws
23rd Aug 2010, 19:30
Hi Magnus,

Yup, but I am House, Dog, and Sheep sitting in Heriot Country at present.

Will send a PM once I get back in a week or so.

rgbrock1
24th Aug 2010, 12:47
Lonewolf and 11Fan:

Boxer shorts? I wouldn't be caught dead wearing boxer shorts. I wear briefs, thank you very much. And one of the nicer things about briefs is that after wearing the same pair for a week or two, you simply turn them inside out and you're good to go for another week or two!!! :ok:

(Bring back any memories 11Fan, you grunt/scout/ground-pounder you!!!)

MagnusP
24th Aug 2010, 13:26
rgb: Not only inside out, but back-to-front. 4 uses, just like a pukka bow tie.

rgbrock1
24th Aug 2010, 13:31
Thanks for the hint Magnus, I never thought of that. 4-8 weeks per. Not bad. :ok:

MagnusP
24th Aug 2010, 14:01
So now that we've grossed-out the distaff . . . . :p

Cardinal Puff
24th Aug 2010, 14:38
Grundies? Who wears them anyway...?

...I wear briefs, thank you very much....

No wonder the Rangers are regarded as soft...:E

rgbrock1
24th Aug 2010, 14:49
Cardinal Puff:

Soft? Rangers?

http://www.skinit.com/images/web/jumbo_shot/SKNRANGER01-JMB.png

Ka-bam!

Cardinal Puff
24th Aug 2010, 15:11
Thin skinned too....:E

Just extracting the urine. Don't really get the two tier system...

rgbrock1
24th Aug 2010, 15:13
Two-tier system?????

Parapunter
24th Aug 2010, 15:56
Didn't this thread used to be about the solar system?:}

11Fan
24th Aug 2010, 16:34
(Bring back any memories 11Fan, you grunt/scout/ground-pounder you!!!)

I prefer to go "Commando".