PDA

View Full Version : Remember the missing 727 from Luanda ?

fesmokie
20th Aug 2010, 14:46
Here's the latest on that story from an article in Smithsonian Air and Space mag. Enjoy
The 727 that Vanished | History of Flight | Air & Space Magazine (http://www.airspacemag.com/history-of-flight/The-727-that-Vanished.html?c=y&page=1)

bcgallacher
20th Aug 2010, 22:12
I worked with Ben Padilla in Nigeria on a Hajj operation and came to the conclusion he lived in a little world of his own - he struck me as a fantasist of the highest order.He claimed to be qualified to certify B747 when it was obvious he had absolutely no knowledge of the aircraft whatsoever - If he has come to grief with the missing 727 I feel sorry for his family but not surprised.

PaperTiger
21st Aug 2010, 03:15
I always thought being at the bottom of the Indian Ocean was the most likely explanation. Wasn't there a report of some garbled comms. with Mahe approach ?

But really what a waste of time that article was, there's absolutely nothing new in it :confused: .

fesmokie
23rd Aug 2010, 20:46
But really what a waste of time that article was, there's absolutely nothing new in it .

Paper Tiger,
Were you somehow involved ? The writer"Tim" researched this in depth and found out allot about this story that most people were not aware of unless of course they were there and involved with the project from the beginning. I beleive he spent close to a year doing his research.

PaperTiger
23rd Aug 2010, 21:52
I was (and am) not involved. Apart from some additional, largely incidental personal details everything in the article was reported at the time and discussed on various internet sites including this one IIRC.

Do you know 'Tim" by chance ? ;)

matkat
24th Aug 2010, 06:35
Brian, was I around at the time? I was in Jed. but do not remember this guy assuming he was around the Hajj operation in 1995.

bcgallacher
24th Aug 2010, 21:30
Hi Dave,
He was in Kano supposedly operations not maintenance- not an AAI operation it was an operation for Kabo set up by an American. He was a decidedly odd bird - seemed to be a bit divorced from reality.

matkat
25th Aug 2010, 07:47
Thanks Brian.

fesmokie
25th Aug 2010, 14:52
paper tiger

I only know Tim by haveing conversation's with him by phone. Very nice guy.:ok: