PDA

View Full Version : Proof reading? MAN Incident

Diver_Dave
20th Aug 2010, 06:45
Right,

I've put this here for a short while. I'm not normally one
to comment, speculate or even post in incidents, however, I'm
more impressed with the write up than anything else!

I'm guessing Airlines and routes is probably best but....

I thougt Paragraphs two and three may amuse along with
the photo capton.

Airport shutdown after plane makes emergency landing - Manchester Evening News (http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/news/transport/s/1314540_airport_shutdown_after_plane_makes_emergency_landing )

This is a flight I use on a regular basis, kudos to all involved.

OK....

Mods please move as appropriate

Regards

DaveA

FLEXPWR
20th Aug 2010, 08:00
I like the part: "The captain declared a full emergency..."

As sometimes, one might declare a 3/4 emergency, or a 57% emergency....:p

Great description of runway one... I wonder, is runway 2 ever used for other than emergencies?

Good bit of fun, thanks!

sky9
20th Aug 2010, 08:36
"The plane touched down safely but ground to a halt in the middle of runway one."

I'm trying to imagine the aircraft grinding to a halt, to think a journalist wrote this drivel.

I know that some newspapers target their writing to enable people with reading age of about 8 to understand it, but employing journalists with the same level of English is amazing.

BabyBear
20th Aug 2010, 08:38
Give the kid a break guys, she is obviously on work experience from school. Don't think she should study journalism though.

Thanks for the smile.

forget
20th Aug 2010, 08:58
FLEXPWR, That crack comes up every time full emergency is mentioned.

5 Categories of Emergency.

5.2.1 Aircraft Accident/Aircraft Accident Imminent
When an aircraft accident has occurred or is inevitable on, or in the vicinity of the aerodrome. At some units Aircraft Accident covers both situations.

5.2.2 Aircraft Ground Incident
When an aircraft on the ground is known to have an emergency situation other than an accident which requires the attendance of emergency services.

5.2.3 Full Emergency
When an aircraft is known or is suspected to be in such trouble that there is danger of an accident.

Gainesy
20th Aug 2010, 09:31
an elderly lady with a fag in her mouth

Well thats the Yanks puzzled then. And a gun on her desk.:)

RJM
20th Aug 2010, 10:09
and a trenchcoat on a hatrack near the venetian blinds.

"It was 4:32. I could tell the dame meant business ..."

visibility3miles
20th Aug 2010, 10:56
a plane was forced to made an emergency landing

Yes, it is spelled correctly, but where are the grammar police?

vulcanised
20th Aug 2010, 12:06
where are the grammar police?

Probably still beating up the hack I quoted a few weeks ago - "After a minute's silence, they threw reeves* into the sea".

*after a minute's silence I worked out he meant wreaths.

wings folded
20th Aug 2010, 13:30
"After a minute's silence, they threw reeves* into the sea".
I think Reeves was the unfortunate recipient of the decanter of port which Carruthers inadvertently passed to the right.

Carruthers was, of course, handed a revolver with a single bullet, a glass of single malt, and told "you know what to do, Carruthers", but I always thought that chucking Reeves into the sea was a little harsh.

But, then, certain principles have to be upheld.

Krystal n chips
20th Aug 2010, 14:13
Actually, that wasn't bad for the M.E.N.......a journal that was once very highly thought of and ideed produced some excellent reports and stories......but then entered the equivalent of a spiral dive leading to a full blown inverted spin......with no recovery action likely to be initiated..sadly

None of the above
20th Aug 2010, 15:03
(http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1303484/Passengers-terror-Aer-Arann-plane-careered-control-brakes-failed.html?ito=feeds-newsxml)Passengers' terror as plane careers out of control after brakes failed. (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1303484/Passengers-terror-Aer-Arann-plane-careered-control-brakes-failed.html?ito=feeds-newsxml)

A plane with 33 passengers on board crashed into runway equipment after its brakes failed while taxiing at Manchester airport.
The Aer Arann twin turbo-prop suffered 'significant' damage as it moved towards the Terminal One gate.An official report by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch has revealed that the pilot of the aeroplane, which had flown in from Galway, Ireland, tried to apply the brakes after landing, but the plane continued to move forward until it hit the 'runway mirror'.
The large mirror is positioned at the end of a long metal pole by ground staff and is used by pilots to line up the aircraft before they bring it to a stop.

Well, I suppose you have to give them a mark for the correct use of the apostrophe in passengers'.

NRU74
20th Aug 2010, 15:36
Well, I suppose you have to give them a mark for the correct use of the apostrophe in passengers'.Unless only one passenger was in 'terror'

ChrisVJ
20th Aug 2010, 20:39
I thought the 'runway' mirror was there so the Captain could check his hair before disembarking!

Tankertrashnav
20th Aug 2010, 22:12
None of the 31 passengers or four crew were injured, according to a spokesman for the airport.

While we are all giving poor Alice a good kicking, may I go into full pedant mode and point out that should be "None of.....was injured".

TTN (PPrune grammar policeman!)