PDA

View Full Version : EASA FCL Medical - Most welcome but when?

RoyT
19th Aug 2010, 20:30
Hi all,

Ive been reading through the draft EASA FCL medical requirements document. Its pretty important to me seeing as the CAA have basically told me I'm very likely to drop dead whilst flying due to a heart condition so cant have a JAA only an NPPL. I won't go into details but suffice to say I am quite fit and healthy and it seems I've been labelled (much like young male drivers under car insurance) and there's nothing I can do about it.

However, looking at the EASA FCL medical requirements it seems it will do me a big favour by effectively creating a europe wide NPPL (the Light Aircraft PL). This will be most welcome as its incredibly frustrating to be labelled as more likely to become incapacitated than a narcileptic drunk whilst at the flying controls. If we are heading down the FAA route (sports, recreation licenses etc), then it is most welcome.

Would be nice to know whether people though the EASA FCL would come into force as planned on April 8th 2012? And why on earth has it taken this long to take the FAA approach? It hardly feels flight-friendly.

R

GrassRootsFlying
20th Aug 2010, 08:14
Might be worth looking at the announcement on the LAA site

AGM (http://www.lightaircraftassociation.co.uk/EASA-medical.html)

Regards

RoyT
20th Aug 2010, 16:20
Thanks.

Skimming through it appears that the med requirements have not changed just the fact that an AME must perform the examination. For me this makes little difference as even for an NPPL I need a cardiologist to sign me off. What is absolutely critical is the 'pass mark' for the examination not who performs it.

People are saying a great deal about cost but very little is being mentioned about the actual MEDICAL requirements. I feel this is being rather overlooked and while I understand the paperwork can make revalidation more expensive more existing pilots that is hardly as frustrating as being banned from flying altogether for a minor ailment. Perhaps I'll try and add to the EASA response form.