PDA

View Full Version : Another tool to identify

OFSO
19th Aug 2010, 12:02
Anyone know what this is ? I found it up t'road where the telecomms guys had been working, so probably - if not conclusively - to do with comms. (After all we do get UFO's landing here and doing all sorts of wierd ops).

It's 16cms long, with a detachable handle/cover that can slip on either end over a hex moulding. The cap end has the inscription PROTELSUR Seville and the side O,6.

One end is 4mm across, this end is shown, the other is slightly smaller and has a spiral thread with a central hole.

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/ROBIN_100/ToolOne.jpg

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu287/ROBIN_100/ToolOneEnd.jpg

Looks like one would insert it into something and twiddle a bit, but where and for what purpose ?

OFSO

SASless
19th Aug 2010, 12:08
Looks like one would insert it into something and twiddle a bit, but where and for what ?

Did you find my willy lying about as it sounds exactly like mine of late!

k3k3
19th Aug 2010, 12:16
Could be a tool for doing wire wrapped terminals.

The last example I saw of these was on the circuit boards of the RDD in a Nimrod MR1,

forget
19th Aug 2010, 12:17
Herramientas de conexionado de hilo por inserción. :ok:

NOVEDADES*-*PRODUCTOS DE TELECOMUNICACIONES DEL SUR, S.L. (http://www.protelsur.com.es/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=32&Itemid=73)

tony draper
19th Aug 2010, 12:39
Yer tiz a cable wrap tool, used them many a time mine int as posh as that one thought.
:)
Some kit have rows of pins instead of terminals or solder points,one strips the cable half a ich shove it up the hole in the middle of the tool,slide the hole over the pin on the circuit board and rotate the tool,this makes a good tight connection by wrapping the stripped wire round the pin handy when you have a hundred pair cable to terminate.

SoulManBand
19th Aug 2010, 13:39
Wire wrap tool, as per Mr. Drapes.

File:Manual wire wrap tool and wire wrap wire in various colours.jpg - Wikimedia Commons (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Manual_wire_wrap_tool_and_wire_wrap_wire_in_various_col ours.jpg)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f5/Manual_wire_wrap_tool_and_wire_wrap_wire_in_various_colours. jpg/800px-Manual_wire_wrap_tool_and_wire_wrap_wire_in_various_colours. jpg

G&T ice n slice
19th Aug 2010, 13:46
I bet it has to do with these thronomeister things I keep reading about

OFSO
19th Aug 2010, 14:11
Did you find my willy lying about as it sounds exactly like mine of late!

4mm across at the end, SAS ? Is it getting bigger or smaller ? One should be careful of this problem: you may wish to read further on

Missing member murmurings | Medical Bag | Strange Days | Fortean Times UK (http://www.forteantimes.com/strangedays/medicalbag/355/missing_member_murmurings.html)

Tony, now I recollect, these tools were just being introduced into the GPO when I was leaving and moving off to work with satellites and such hi-faluting objects. After 40 years it's all getting rather dim and far-off...

rgbrock1
19th Aug 2010, 14:26
OFSO:

The tool which you pictured in your first post above? Is that not a tool used in
giving one a fleet enema?!!!! :}:}:}

tony draper
19th Aug 2010, 15:27
Along with your cable wrap tool one also needs a cable unwrap tool as well,works in a similar manner but in reverse,
One would not wish to make a mistake at the begining of wrapping a hundred pair cable,not so bad when you do it on the 99th.:uhoh:
Actually the bottom foto looks like the unwrapping end

diesel addict
19th Aug 2010, 17:09
My Sony TA-3650 Hi-Fi amp has much of the internal wiring done using the wire-wrap technique. Still a great piece of kit.

I seem to remember that about 30 years ago it was quite common in aerospace applications as it was reckoned to be much more reliable in high vibration environments.

UniFoxOs
19th Aug 2010, 17:30
Tony, I think the bottom photo is the wrapping end (central hole over the pin, side hole for the wire), the other has the "spiral thread" which would be the unwrapping end - one screws it down into the wrap and the wrap unwinds on the outside of the tool.

Used many variations of these - mains, cordless, squeeze operated as well as the basic as shown here.

Cheers
UFO

tony draper
19th Aug 2010, 18:14
Actually one's description was not very clear my wrapper has two holes at the tip one for the stripped wire and the other goes over the pin,the unwrapper has a single hole and a edge that catches the end of the cable and by rotating in the opposite direction unwrapps the wire from the pin.
Handy solution when you have say 30 separate wires to go on the edge of a circuit board the pins can be about a miillimeter apart and would be difficult to solder.

crippen
20th Aug 2010, 08:16
Brings back some (good and bad) memories from way back!!
Never mind the 100 pair cable,try making a mistake with a 1000 pair!:(

OFSO
20th Aug 2010, 09:46
Wrote this before once, but.....

As a Youth in Training with the GPO, our gang was called out to a massive lead-sheathed 1800 wire cable which had gone dis. Got to the spot on a countryside road, the gang foreman (called a "coddie" in Leicestershire) spotted recently disturbed eath, got the shovels out, handed one to me and one to Den, and said "start digging". Or did I have to get the kettle going ? Never mind. A half hour's work and the cable was revealed. And screwed into the side was a brass blanking plug with the name and logo of the water company (I bet it was the national water in those days, none of these stupd cream-off-the-profits-for-shareholders PFI's). The water boys must have thought our lead sheathed cable was their water pipe, cut into it, "oh my God, look, it's full of WIRES !" and to rectify the situation inserted a plug, filled in the hole and buggered off.

Happy days. My mum used to say I never looked so happy as when i was working with the outside gang on training for three months. Doubt if any of the gang are still alive (I myself was 18 then, the coddie must have been near 50) but I raise a glass to them. We really had fun.