PDA

View Full Version : Flight Deck Announcements - To Passengers

jfkjohan
19th Aug 2010, 10:04
Dear All,

I am giving a talk/training session with airline captains next week with efforts to improve on their "on air / in cabin vocal announcements". Apparently some "customers" have been giving them feedback on their "quality of announcements". You know, being too muffled, mumbling, speaking too fast etc etc.

Am actually leading this initiative to improve the flight-crew's "announcing skills" with my prior experience in broadcasting (both radio & television). Will also be integrating (where able), my flight training as a professional pilot.

Would greatly appreciate your thoughts, which could possibly help us all break out from the norm of ... "ladies & gentleman, this is your captain speaking, we are now flying at flight level 300 at an outside air temperature of bla bla bla bla bla".

So, what do you think? :)

Regards,

Johan F. Khairuddin
Johan Farid Khairuddin.com (http://www.johanfaridkhairuddin.com)

Bealzebub
19th Aug 2010, 13:46
Yes I think there is some scope for many of us to use customer feedback to improve this aspect of communication. As you point out clarity, accent and speed of delivery are technical aspects that warrant attention.

I would however be vary careful of placing too much emphasis on what you call: "ladies & gentleman, this is your captain speaking, we are now flying at flight level 300 at an outside air temperature of bla bla bla bla bla".

You need to remember that unlike radio and television, this isn't a part of the entertainment industry. In many ways the information that is imparted is supposed to be routine. The Captain and the First Officer are perceived as stable, authoritive and in command of the operation. It is very important that perception is maintained in the message that comes across. The P.A is often the only contact between the aircrafts "managers" and the customers, so it is important that it is used properly and effectively.

Customers all have different experiences, moods and expectations when they board a flight. The family travelling on holiday may for example be more amenable to something humerous that is said, than say the businessman who is in a seat they didn't want and generally feels agrieved or mishandled by the airline. The former might see a friendly individual on the other side of the message. The later might see yet another clown who clearly fails to take his role seriously.

It is often better to maintain a delivery that the individual pilot feels comfortable with, whilst bearing in mind the importance of maintaining their authority and dependability in the minds of those they are addressing. There is nothing wrong with routine, unless you are auditioning for a role on the "X-factor."

The important thing to remember is, this is about safety and routine. It is not about being an adjunct to the entertainment industry.

jfkjohan
19th Aug 2010, 14:13
Dear Bealzebub,

Your comments and thoughts are very much appreciated. You pretty much hit the nail on its head too! I completely agree re: The Flight Crew needing to be well perceived (ie. In Control) of the entire operation of the flight. Often comes a time passengers board a plane, trusting that the pilots are professionals and they are the best at what they do.

There are however two trains of thoughts on a particular scenario/case though, which I would also like to ask your comments on.

Given an example of turbulence lasting for a few minutes.

One side of the farm, people could say a. "a relaxed and cool captain, joking a tad bit over the air would ease our worries when we hit those bumps" and across the fence, others could think/say b. "this guy sounds very tense & scared, is everything going to be okay? he sounds not convincing. can he do his job and pull us through this?"

I've heard once, prior going into turbulence, the commander came on the PA and said "ladies & gentleman, this is your captain. please stay where you are, we are experiencing some really bad weather ahead of us.".

Would have it been better (or even make a difference?) if there was a timeframe/resolution? Example "ladies & gentleman we have some bad weather ahead of us, i've put the seatbelts sign on but don't worry we should be out of this in a good 5-10 minutes."

I guess where I will be focusing on is not what to say, but how to say it. I will also focus on speech clarity, and now, leave the creativity (if any) to the commanders of the flight.

Ultimately, my objectives are to have whatever that the Captains want to be said, be translated and come across as exactly how he wants it. Again, am not there to tell him what to say -- if this makes sense?

Once again Bealzebub, I thank you for your time and constructive comments.

Towards better safety in the skies for us and a more pleasant flying experience for those behind!

Regards,
JFK.

L'aviateur
19th Aug 2010, 19:25
"ladies & gentleman we have some bad weather ahead of us, i've put the seatbelts sign on but don't worry we should be out of this in a good 5-10 minutes"

You've just placed a 'negative' into the mind of the passenger by using the word 'Bad'.

Possibly a better way of wording it would be;

"Good afternoon Ladies and Gentlemen, this is your Captain. We will soon be encountering some light/moderate turbulence which requires you to take your seats and ensure that you seat belt is securely fastened, Thank you"

Pre-scripted announcements, whilst they can sound more monotonous, prevent the umming and ahhring from people who are trying to think what to say next.

A good way to tackle this is to break down the problem into what you want to tell the passengers, how you want them feel, what vocabulary will best convey your message in a firm, confident manner. You also need to think about how they will understand it, speaking clearly, at a moderate pace (not too fast, but not too slow) and using words that will be easily understood by all of the passengers. You need to consider a balance of what will be understand or interpeted by the passenger, but also being accurate and not patronising.

You also need to consider that some people do not speak English as a first language, so cutting out the waffle and being clear, polite and to the point helps a lot.

In flight status announcements are more appreciated shortly after take off before people sleep, letting them know the anticipated arrival time. Then the next announcement around the time of decent.

DutchBird-757
19th Aug 2010, 20:01
Never use words like bad etc and focus on the positive. But still be honest. If it's bad weather ahead, indeed, tell them that it might get a bit bumpy ahead and that you are going to switch the seatbelts sign on as a pre-caution and ask them to return to their seats. Also don't give them a timeframe if you are not absolutely sure that you are correct.

My native tongue isn't English so I like to stick to something that I'm comfortable and familiair with. Indeed like 'pre-recorded scripts' where all you need to do is fill in the blanks. You don't need many scripts anyway, and if you take your time and use different tones of voice it doesn't need to sound 'pre-recorded'. If you feel comfortable, and you've got the time, then feel free to include any extra bits of info but keep it relevant. Plus I like to finish the PA with a quick summary of the ETA and a word of thanks.

I also like to listen to others doing their PA and pick up items that I like and try to copy them into my story, where applicable.
One example I heard recently was about arriving at a remote stand and passengers having to get on a bus. It whent on to say; "...we will shortly be arriving at our stand, 5 minutes ahead of our schedueled arrival time, where a bus will bring you to the terminal builing and drop you off right infront of the arrivals and baggage reclaim area. If you've got bags checked into the hold then the flight number to look for is the.... Thanks etc..."

It gives a really nice positive load to a less desirable situation.

jfkjohan
20th Aug 2010, 03:29
Dear L'aviateur & DutchBird-757,

Thank you very much for your kind thoughts as well. Yes will most definitely add a slide in my presentation about not using "negative" words (ie. bad etc).

As professional pilots, would you believe that being "cool" or "hip" over the PA be a tad bit more ahead of its class/time or rather inappropriate? This is with efforts to reduce words and sounds more "in".

Example:

"Hey guys, its your Captain." as opposed to "Ladies & Gentleman this is your Captain Speaking".

Also,

"Hi again guys. We are early by 15 minutes. Hope you liked the ride! Do fly with us again soon. Oh and did you know we have added a few more places that we fly too? do check out our website for details its XYZ.com" as opposed to;

"Ladies & Gentleman this is your Captain speaking again. We expect to be landing int he next 15 minutes which is ahead of our planned schedule. My flight team and I trust that you have had an enjoyable flight. For more information on our other destinations please visit XYZ.com"

I guess where i'm coming from is trying to set new standards or "norms" then what has been said and/or done over the past god-only-knows how many years!

Then of course, comes the debate, being human and all, are we ready for change?

Your thoughts please.

Regards,
JFK.

Bealzebub
20th Aug 2010, 04:58
Yes, if you want to sound like a disc jockey or some sort of media promoter.
If on the other hand you want to sound like somebody who is in charge, and shows respect as well as expects it, then steer well clear of this sort of nonsence.

There are already crewmembers charged with sales promotions and revenue generation. Your job is to promote not only the idea, but the reality of authority, common sense, reliability and trust. If you already have a second job in the entertainment industry it is to be hoped these other cravings are satiated by that job. There needs to be a distinct understanding of the difference, rather than a compelling need to try and merge the two wholly different requirements.

Whilst not wishing to pop the bubble of your example, I would also suggest that in ordinary circumstances you do your "farewell address" before you start your descent into busy terminal areas, rather than 15 minutes before landing. You have a primary job to fly the aircraft, and monitor what is happening both in and around the aircraft.

If I heard the examples you have given, I would come to the conclusion that you were a little too obsessed with your own image, rather than doing what I perceive a professional pilot (manager) should be doing.

"Ladies and gentlemen" is a polite and respectful form of address, that even most entertainers feel the need to utilize to get the audience on their side.

"Hi guys" is best utilized when you have six of your mates around for a beer! That isn't what you will be doing in this role.

jfkjohan
20th Aug 2010, 05:06
Great points. Well received. Wilco. Thanks! - Johan.

L'aviateur
20th Aug 2010, 13:38
Some airlines/pilots do employ the relax 'hey i'm your best buddy, we're chilled out and laid back up here' type of attitude, and yes some people to like that. But if i'm honest, many people are onboard an aircraft as a means to get from A-B quickly and safely. They are often preoccupied with the stress of work, family, what they will do on arrival in a foreign country. Some may not particularly enjoy flying. They will take comfort in a clear and professional announcement and won't complain. You are more likely to upset people and receive comments such as 'it wasn't clear, it wasn't loud enough, i didn't understand what they were saying, I don't really know what they are talking about, they don't sound professional'.

One of the worst announcements I heard was announcing an arrival as 'Hey folks, we'll be hitting the tarmac in 20 minutes.... buckle up etc etc..', some found it amusing, but some found it quite unnerving.

I would say show some respect for yourself as the position your in, and give people the confidence to say, the pilots seems professional and I'll fly with that airline again because I feel safe.

Some people do choose not to fly with an airline because in their own mind they feel it's unsafe, regardless of whether statistics or professional information tells them otherwise.

jfkjohan
20th Aug 2010, 16:18
Thanks L'aviateur.

Your comments are also very well received and I again sincerely Thank you for taking the time to share with me your professional thoughts on this matter.

I guess i'm going to be sticking to my original plan of "helping them (the commanders) say what they want to say." Will focus on the basics of broadcasting, vocal development & spacing, improving speech clarity, intonation & projection etc.

Will leave the debate of "what to say" and even "how to say it" up to the Commanders of the aircraft and the airline. Am sure they have their SOPs with regards to this anyway!

Oh and with your permission, I would also like to share with them your thoughts on this thread.

Any further comments, please do keep em coming through here.

Much appreciated --- JFK.

clunckdriver
20th Aug 2010, 17:58
Points for pilots to remember when talking to the back end {1] On each flight the chances are that someone is on their way to a funeral, the last thing they want to hear is some damn stupid joke.{2}Dont bull**** the pax, they will see through you in no time{3} Many folks like to sleep , If you must talk ,do it early {ie, during the first meal service} or just before top of descent, when the cabin crew will be wakeing them{4} Dont make out of place remarks about other airlines, it will bite you!{5}The pax do not think you are a "Sky God", so dont talk like one, never talk "down" to customers.{6} Keep it short and clear, and dont try to do the cabin crews job for them, they know how to do it and dont need your help.{7} If your F/O is at the stage in life of rageing hormones , dont ever let him ever use the PA!{8} Avoid the use of "Jargon", not everyone has English as a first lingo. Lots on "Donts" here, follow them and you may never see the inside of the chief pilots office.

gatbusdriver
20th Aug 2010, 21:27
Keep it professional.

Do not use abbreviations, and do not assume your pax know what a slot is etc (I personally try to explain what a slot is in laymans terms.)

Try not to lie. I try to keep my pax informed with as much truth as possible (whilst also remembering there is at least one nervous flyer on board!).

Information is paramount. Being told that your aircraft is late due to the late arrival of the inbound aircraft is complete nonsense. So I am late because I am late....great. I would rather be told nothing.

If aircraft type allows, I occasionally make the odd PA from the front of the cabin (only done if there are severe delays, or tech issues once pax have boarded, as I have found that it really takes the heat off the CC)

One other gem. I was once told that if you were experiencing an emergency, never say " don't worry ladies and gents, we practice this regularly in the sim" as this gives the impression that it happens regularly. I was told to say that " we have trained for this particular event ".

I am sure that other people will have other ideas, just my tuppence.

DISCLAIMER

A bit tipsy, excuse spelling and rambling!

jfkjohan
21st Aug 2010, 15:44
Dear Clunckdriver, Gatbusdriver, Ozymandias,

Your points and thoughts are also very much appreciated.

I will most definitely be sharing all key elements of your thoughts with the airline and its commanders this coming week at my talk / training session on announcements.

Believe that I should be in a more "safe zone" if I, as previously mentioned in my last post as well, focus more towards vocal delivery as opposed to actual content to be delivered -- ie. Helping improve the way they say what they want as opposed to suggesting how to say things.

At the very least, it should be a fun day out for the captains to just, get away from the cockpit and ice-break with the rest of their peers while having a good laugh or two.

Of course if you have any more thoughts you would like to share... please do drop them here! Thanks so much.

Sincerely,
JFK.

gatbusdriver
21st Aug 2010, 18:54
Forgot to say.......speed of delivery, and clarity are obviously very important.

On the airbus I always used the handset on the center console, as this seems to give the most clarity over the PA. Not a lot you can do on the 757, apart from ensure the boom mic is close to your mouth.

Helen49
23rd Aug 2010, 09:40
The two things which most annoy me are poor acoustics [fairly common in my experience] and pilots who speak too quickly without attention to their diction. Put the two together and you have the inaudible PAs which are so common!
It being unlikely that aircraft PA systems will ever improve significantly [on most aircraft], it would help if pilots said whatever they have to say in a clear, and concise manner.......like the way they are supposed to use the RTF? I believe there is a thread elsewhere on this the latter topic!!
Helen

FlyingConsultant
24th Aug 2010, 16:55
1. Speak loudly and clearly
2. Leave out stuff that nobody is interested in, like the temperature at 30,000 feet or the wind at the destination at the moment in great detail
3. Tell us some stuff we might be interested in
- taxi, wait and flight time, obviously
- Anything unusual on departure or arrival at the airport or the day, e.g., "today, we will make left curve pretty much immediately after departure, which is normal here in Newark", or " as we land here in SFO, you might see another plane land in parallel."
4. Shut up after 10pm and before 7am (measured in departure airport time), regardless of what the manual says. (except stuff like turbulence and "fasten belts, we land")

"hip" doesn't work, and "funny" only when still relevant.

The best announcement for a late flight JFK-FRA that I ever heard was something like "welcome Ladies and gentlemen, this is the captain. I am sure you will appreciate that it looks like we are on time and while we will have to wait a bit before takeoff, we will get out of here soon. I will not bore you with details - we will fly very fast and very high, and as of now, it looks like we will be on time for Frankfurt. Have a good night, welcome on board". The second and last we heard from him was "Folks, we are taking off now" as we turned on the runway (violating my 10pm rule, but that was OK) :ok:

veloo maniam
25th Aug 2010, 15:13
JFKjohan...greetings from KUL ATC
I have flown several times as a pax on Malaysian airplanes and this is one of my many observations. Most times the captains voice over the intercom is hardly clear. English is not our mother tongue hence clarity is much to be desired. The main problem being the sound system is muffled. The clarity before departure is different when compared to the airplane at FL300 etc. Get your engineers to checkout the reception status before a flight. It may take time but it sure helps enhance pax safety. As for me, being an ATCO, helps me understand what was said over the PA but not my neighbours on board the flight. Something you may want to consider.My 2 cents:ok:

veloo maniam
25th Aug 2010, 15:26
Just about a month ago there was this domestic flight who transmitted on the ATC channel a long winded welcome speech. It took almost 2 minutes of my vital ATC time. The Capt was proud of having all the pax and that the temperature was ideal and that the plane was brand new and the names of the stewardess was so and so and the ETA will be at xxx time and that they will be earlier by xxx minutes compared to the schedule and bla bla bla.
I told him thanks and requested him to share this info with his pax. Do we, as pax, really need to be told that the plane is brand new?
It will do all of us a great help to keep it short and simple:ok:

jfkjohan
26th Aug 2010, 13:32
Dear All,

Thank you once again for all your thoughts on this subject. I would like to share that I had a wonderful time today together with 18 of the airline's top commanders. Even the chief pilot and chief pilot of training was there and I was not only star-struck, I was amazed at the audience participation and eagerness to learn from the commanders!

I would like to also share that, as mentioned prior, I did share your thoughts with them as well and together, we all learned from you and for that, I must again thank you for spending your time reading through this and commenting.

The best part of the day (I guess) was when we were "role playing". This was when they would pull a scenario out of the hat and would convey the message to the passengers. It was very interesting for me to see how they would structure their words, and most of them, make decisions on what MUST be said, what NEED they say and what would be NICE to know as a passenger.

Gatbusdriver - Yes to your most recent comments. I did touch on the ABC's - Accuracy, being Brief and Clarity.

Helen49 - Today we helped the captains learn how to slow down their pace and phrasing. Worked very well too! They did mention how the PA system could be their downfall however I also mentioned that there are 2 components to successful broadcasting. One comes from you (the broadcaster) and the other from the broadcasting device itself (in this case the mic and its speakers!). At the very least, lets work on what WE can do together, and advise others on what can be done for the later! Yes, they have also learned to go straight to the point!

No more uhhhs and umms... well, with efforts to eliminate that is!

FlyingConsultant - Thank you so very much. Yes hip will not work and funny might, when relevant. BTW I loved that JFK-FRA flight of yours! I wish I was there to experience it as well... Haha

Veloo_Maniam. Good Evening sir (or morning if you are reading this tomorrow). I am sure we have probably met during my umpteenth visits to ATC. The first time I went over to Subang ATC was when Richard Tan was still around. Now I guess Lin would still be my closest contact within the walls! I have been and will continue to say that I appreciate every single thing that you and the team do. Yes I have noted your comments and will relay them to our commanders in the sessions to come/follow.

Oh and by the way, the open-mic you experienced could be nothing close to what I heard when I was flying in Australia. I actually heard it live! And VH-NOE was my classmate and instructor too! Haha... Apparently this Brisbane controller wanted to shoot all of us down that day! If you missed it, I still have it on my website here - Johan Farid Khairuddin.com (http://www.johanfaridkhairuddin.com/page/7). Just click on the top left audio link. Hehehe

Thanks again guys.

And hey keep those comments coming in if you have more thoughts!!

Regards,

JFK

Neptunus Rex
26th Aug 2010, 16:44
Just came across this thread, glad you had a great day.
To make announcements sound better, look out of the side window (so that your FO doesn't see, and start laughing) then SMILE as you talk. It mellows your voice and sounds so much better.
Go on, try it and hear the difference.

jfkjohan
27th Aug 2010, 06:46
Yeah and stretch your arms really out wide to open up your larynx and then take a deep breath as well before you smile into the window and then...... hear the difference too!

Would be fun to see someone do this on YouTube soon. Haha

JFK

Wannabe Flyer
27th Aug 2010, 08:32
Short

Sweet

Basic facts

Don't interrupt my IFE unless really needed

777fly
27th Aug 2010, 11:24
Johan,

I remember that a former BBC news presenter ran just such a course as you are developing as an 'in house' programme for British Airways. That was back in the mid-70's. I believe his name was Peter Fairley, but could be wrong. All of the suggestions being raised here were in it and there was much on content and delivery too. Sadly, lot of that knowledge has been lost, forgotten or is not taught these days and I hear some pretty appalling PA's at times. All success with your project, only good can come from it.

What I do, and remember:

1. Think about what you are going to say and write it down if necessary, as distractions while talking can make you lose the thread.
2. Keep the content concise, accurate, interesting and friendly
3. Speak slowly (almost unnaturally so) and clearly, otherwise you are wasting your time, as no one will understand you
4. Don't use 'jargon' e.g 'ATC', 'loadsheet' - use layman's terms
5. Don't umm and err. It feels professional and the opposite is true to the listener.

When I pass the PA to my F/Os I give them a piece of paper afterwards with a number on it. When I explain that it is the number of times they said 'err' during their PA they are invariably shocked and disbelieving. This always leads to a rapid improvement in technique.
Someone will raise the point so, yes, I am monitoring ATC as well.

Agaricus bisporus
27th Aug 2010, 14:41
Avoid the negative words like Fog, Thunderstorms, Turbulence and Late. Misty, rain, bumps and behind schedule (that's pronounced shed, not sked in Europe please) are less contentious and sound smoother

Only apologise once.

Listen to what the other pilot has said and don't repeat it if you both do PAs. Telling pax about the destination weather on every PA is amateurish.

Don't bleat on about "westerley runways", "turning left, turning right en route". No one wants to know if you've made a turn fer chrissakes, and NSEW is a concept beyond most pax. (anyway "Westerly runway" does not mean the runway pointing West, it means the one to the West of the other, eg 36L. This seems to be a concept beyond many pilots...)

Never, NEVER say "sit back and relax" It is appallingly patronising - what right do you have to tell the pax how to sit? What if they want to work, or do exercises? Are they disobeying your lawful command if they do otherwise? It is just meaningless noise. Bin that awful phrase altogether. Ditto the utterly cringe-worthy and slimy "thank you for choosing to fly with XXXX air" AAArgghhhh!

Be honest and up-front about delays. If they're extensive keep the pax informed with a brief PA every 20 mins or so even to say "no further info". Don't be afraid to say you don't know the reason if that's the case.

Never use navaid or waypoint names. Stick to large towns/features - geography is not most people's forte.
Never use jargon.
Avoid giving technical explanations for malfunctions - it frightens the nervous ones. Be as general as possible without sounding evasive, but don't fib. When an engine has blown up dont, please, say, as you hear every time in the simulator, "We've got a slight technical malfunction" Even pax know emergency procedures don't result from "slight" malfunctions...In a serious case like that maybe a bit more direct; "We've got an engine malfunction that requires us to make a precautionary landing at XXXX" is a good idea.

Never use slang or colloquialisms - language needs to be plain and simple.
Avoid giving an exact time (of arrival, for instance), "Landing in about an hour and a half" or "very close to shed-yool" is enough, and stops the pedants complaining that you were 5 minutes out, cos some will.

Use humour only if you're a professional at it.

Think what they need/want to know and tell them that and that alone. Think what you want to know when you're a pax. Pretty much where and when info, and that's about it apart from weather,
Maybe on a holiday flight someone is interested in OAT, but...
Certainly on clear days/nights a bit of detail about what can be seen may be appropriate, or "There should be a good view of XXXX on the left in 20 mins time". Many pax love to know what they are looking at in clear conditions, but just don't know.

Well, that's my idea. And everyone else does it their own way too thank goodness, or PAs would get very samely.

ExSp33db1rd
28th Aug 2010, 07:07
Agaricus .........

Sounds good, and I would add NEVER correct a mistake. Sounds as if you might be one of the 0.5% of pax. and Cabin Crew who actually listen to the occasional P.A. ?

I once gave a precis of the flight from London to Karachi, and when I put the 'phone down the F/O reminded me that we were actually going to Bahrain ! No one, not even the Cabin Crew, noticed, or if they did they kept quiet !

I was a passenger once when the F/O gave the announcement after take-off, he gave the time and day, and date of arrival - the date line was involved - but got the time wrong. He then came back and corrected the time, but this time got the day wrong. The Captain then came up and apologised - and got the date wrong.

By this time everyone was hanging on his every word. Hilarious.

When in doubt, say nowt.

Northbeach
31st Aug 2010, 04:11
Know your audience. A flight full of business people headed to some financial capital on the first day of the business week are a completely different audience than the same jet full of holiday makers enroute to some tropical paradise. Taylor your flight deck announcements to the audience and time of day.

Tell pilots what to do, rather than giving them a string of endless negatives; don’t drone on, don’t repeat, don’t use technical terms.

On the way to work I listen to the radio and try to analyze the style of the program hosts and newscasters. I pay attention to how they apply their craft: volume, tone, inflection, and speed of delivery. It is true that, as a pilot, I am not in the “entertainment” business, however that doesn’t mean I have to sound ridiculous over the PA. There is nothing wrong from taking some coaching from people who broadcast for a living. My employer expects me to interact positively with our passengers-that includes the PA.

Regarding delays, just tell them the truth. I try to cover the basics (who, what, when, where and why); what happened to cause the delay (if appropriate), what is being done about the delay now, when are we going to have more information and when to expect a resolution or more information.

I enjoyed flying with a senior Captain who has since retired. He taught a “fear of flying seminar” in his spare time. I have used his advice regarding PAs and turbulence. It helps many people who genuinely fear the turbulence if you give them an estimated time frame as to how long the turbulence should last. I realize that it is not always possible to know how long the turbulence will last. Yet knowledge is power, and if the passenger has some time frame they are usually better able to endure the discomfort. I find it helpful to refer to turbulence as “unstable air” it is a neutral term and does not carry the emotional baggage that “turbulence” does for many people.

Seldom will you be able to please everybody. Ask for feedback from other pilots and the flight attendants; listen to your colleagues when they key the microphone. Many pilots are completely uninterested in talking to the passengers, and it is obvious when they pick up the microphone. Sometimes I just cringe at what I hear.

bsmasher
1st Sep 2010, 10:25
From a SLF - make sure there's enough of a 'standard' intro to the message to allow us time to notice there's an announcement and remove headphones etc and then be able to hear the important part of the message - not all of us are plugged into the IFE system with the auto override.

jfkjohan
1st Sep 2010, 14:10
Wannabe Flyer - Yes. Your IFE is priority! Will make sure we all keep the chatter to a minimum! Accurate, Brief and Clear are some of the ABC's, of what we are relaying in our training. Thanks again!

777fly - Wow, I wiki'd Peter Fairley. He died 5 days before my 18th birthday and was born in Kuala Lumpur - where I stay now! I'm sure he did an amazing job in his career, a short prayer for him now. Thanks once again for your kind words of support and most importantly my most humble words of appreciation for your 5 thoughts. Yes we do relay that the 'jargon' should be striked off their vocabulary especially when doing 'layman' announcements and, to write down their thoughts before they speak so that it reduces the umms and errs. I sincerely LOVE the idea that you write down how many times your F/Os say umms and errs on a piece of paper and pass it to him/her. I will relay this idea of yours as well if you don't mind -- simply brilliant, Thank you!

Agaricus bisporus - Thank you for your thoughts as well. Yes the negative words should be minimized and replaced where able! I like how you also think "sit back & relax" can be patronising! You are right, some people want to work. Point taken and will relay! Thank you once again for all your other points too.

ExSp33db1rd - Yes we learn that on radio as well. I have once or twice before in my career, announced the wrong song or the wrong piece of info. Of course there are some who would have gone "excuse me, that was XYZ not ABC" but believe me, if you appologize, MORE people will be aware of your mistake! hahah sad but true........ thanks for your thoughts too!

Northbeach - Ahhh.... you should be in entertainment! You got one of the golden rules spot on... KNOW your audience! I am sure most of us will now be using "unstable air" in the near future :)

bsmasher - Maybe a quick summary before the end of the PA might work? Like if you are speaking about "unstable air ahead" and why etc, you could end with a line like "again, we would like to share that we expect the unstable air to last for not more than a few minutes and I thank you for your patience and kind understanding, good evening...".

Sincerely,
---- Johan Farid Khairuddin (JFK)

paulc
19th Sep 2010, 20:17
I am only a SLF but have been on the receving end of some good PA's and some not so good ones.

On a recent flight from Bangkok to Frankfurt (LH) there was not a word from the flight deck - not even a "welcome on board" before departure. Ok it was a midnight plus departure but even so I would have expected at least that.

In general please make the PA's short, relevant and infrequent - it does get irritating if trying to concentrate on a book / game / film etc to keep getting interrupted by PA's.

jfkjohan
20th Sep 2010, 01:36
Thanks Paulc, very good point. What airline were you on anyway?

Maybe if not immediately during cruise, you would think somewhere in between right? at least before top of descent.

Well lets see what the group has to say.

Thanks again.

Johan.

jetset lady
28th Sep 2010, 15:15
Sorry, this may seem a bit strange but for short haul crew that may change aircraft between flights, I'd say it's worth making a quick PA volume test before boarding. (By that, I don't mean the usual passing of information between the front and back via the PA system but actually taking notice of how loud/quiet the speakers are.) During a recent trip, we had one aircraft with particularly poor speakers meaning the PA's from all crew, including me, were very quiet and hard to hear once the extra background noises were added into the equation. A few passengers mentioned it and I passed the message on to the Captain. We both upped the volume of our PA's considerably and all was fine. Until we swapped aircraft that is. The next one had the opposite problem. The speakers were extremely efficient and the mike very sensitive. Unfortunately, as neither of us tested the system before hand due to the mad rush that is an aircraft change, when the Capt started his welcome PA, still in the same high volume mode, he frightened the life out of us and nearly deafened us into the bargain! Have you ever seen 147 passengers and 3 cabin crew all jump at the same time? The poor passengers, who hadn't had the benefit of being on the previous aircraft, couldn't understand why the Captain appeared to be yelling at them down the PA! Another lesson learnt the hard way but one that will definitely stay with me. :O

Nicholas49
28th Sep 2010, 16:11
I'm only SLF, but I just wanted to say that I think Jetset Lady makes a very valid point. In fact, you pre-empted my question: do pilots ever get to hear the volume of the PA system other than when travelling / positioning in the cabin?

I've been on a couple of flights where I have really wanted to hear what the Captain / First Officer is saying but simply haven't been able to because the volume in the cabin is not loud enough, especially when drowned out by the engines.

On the other hand, I entirely agree that if the volume is too loud, it really can be uncomfortable and disruptive. This happened to me a few weeks ago on a European night flight. The PAs made it impossible to sleep.

Finally, IMHO, the best PAs are those that are authoritative; provide passengers with all the information they need; and reassure us that we're in the hands of professional, capable and dependable pilots.

Best wishes
Nick

gg190
28th Sep 2010, 21:37
I hope I don't get jumped on for this!

I travel on Flybe a lot as Pax and I find that they make far to many announcements and they last far too long, particularly since nearly all the flights I have been on are under an hour. In a 25 minute rotation from IOM-LPL you get this sequence:

Cabin Crew Welcome
Captains Welcome
Safety Demo
When the bell goes indicating the crew can get out of there seats, there is always a 'remain seated until....blah blah' announcement, even though the seatbelt sign is still clearly on.
Start of drinks and snacks service announcement
Duty free service announcement
Position update from the First Officer, in which the phrase 'errr' features heavily! :}
Seat belt sign going on announcement
Announcement on leaving the runway, 'welcome to xxx....please remain seated etc.'
Announcement when the aircraft stops to remain seated until the seat belt sign goes off (followed, invariably, 30 seconds later by engines stopping and sign going off!)

And is if that wasn't enough, on a recent flight from LGW, we were all treated to what can only be described as a rollocking from the Captain because he believed somebody had left their mobile phone on (not that I'm condoning this).

Anybody else find this with Flybe, or just me!!!???

Capetonian
28th Sep 2010, 21:54
there is always a 'remain seated until....blah blah' announcement, even though the seatbelt sign is still clearly on.

Since when did a mere seat belt sign stop the great unwashed from leaping out of their seats before the aircraft has retracted its landing gear? Or whilst it's on short finals for that matter?

gg190
28th Sep 2010, 22:02
Since when did a mere seat belt sign stop the great unwashed from leaping out of their seats before the aircraft has retracted its landing gear? Or whilst it's on short finals for that matter?

Oh I'm well aware of that, but since when did they take any notice of the announcements!? :)

Always makes me laugh when the aircraft parks on a remote stand and as soon as the engines stop (well as soon as they start to wind down), every person on the plane frantically jumps up to grab their bags and head for the door, only to end up waiting there for 5 - 10 minutes while the bus is driven round!

Nicholas49
29th Sep 2010, 08:23
Indeed. I have always found it quite peculiar how on practically every flight about 90% of passengers feel the need to stand up as soon as the seatbelt signs are switched off (or before they are switched off, for that matter). They do this even if they can't get into the aisle, meaning they have to crane their neck to avoid the overhead units. They then stand in this awkward position until the doors open and people start disembarking, even if it means waiting 10 minutes or so to get off. Very strange!

paulc
29th Sep 2010, 20:51
jfkjohan,

I was on Lufthansa (LH) that started in Kuala Lumpur and changed crews in Bangkok.

easyflyer83
30th Sep 2010, 23:50
I don't want to bash the SLF too much but it is also weird how people take seatbelts off as soon as the a/c turns off the runway. Is it that restrictive?

The "crew release but seatbelts still on PA" also doubles up as a reassurance that all is ok after take off..........for this passengers who are nervous.

Flightdeck PA's are very important and people do listen. Like cabin crew though, there are also some Flight crew who aren't that great at them. However, isn't it a little self indulgent to be taking broadcasting lessons?

RAPA Pilot
1st Oct 2010, 15:51
An exellent , relevent and enjoyable thread.

I was on a Flybe flight a while ago. I happened to know the first officer.
During the 30 minute flight he gave the most drawn out mumbled monologue in his thick monotone Mancurian accent I think I have ever heard.

I contacted him later and told him, his reply was that he hates giving announcements over the PA. I told him he needed ‘electrocution’ lessons, he saw the funny side thankfully.

But he's not the first I've heard giving announcements in a board north country accent rambling on unintelligibly.
Perhaps you should target Flybe and the queens English should be taught as part of the line training.

God, I'm starting to sound like by Dad!!!!

Jumbo Jockey
2nd Oct 2010, 10:55
My own personal preferences...

I really, really don't care what your name is, what the F/O's name is, what the senior CCM's name is, or those of the cabin crew.

Please, please, no more "sit back, relax..."

Thank you so much.
JJ

PilotsOfTheCaribbean
2nd Oct 2010, 16:06
That's OK JJ, we don't care what your name is either, nor are we likely ever to know it. The reason we introduce ourselves by name is that we are in charge of the flight and in most parts of the world it is considered good manners to introduce yourself. The truth is we don't want a Christmas card from you, so just politely listen please.

Whatever we say, good, bad or indifferent, it is either intended as good P.R, etiquette, or information likely to protect us in the event you choose to ignore it.

So settle back and relax, or sit bolt upright and be tense. Chances are, unless you or your employer paid for the good seats, it will only be an expression of wishful intent in any event.

So you are very welcome.

In the meantime sit back and........ ;)

jetset lady
2nd Oct 2010, 16:43
"People, you are on this Honest Airways Boeing 737 to Wherever. I'm telling you that in case you're supposed to be going to Somewhere Else. If you are, tell me now. I'm your Purser and there's 2 other cabin crew plus the pilots. For those of you that fly with us regularly, you know the routine.

The rules - When the seatbelt sign is on, sit down and put your seatbelt on. When it's off, you can get up but we advise you keep it on when you are sat in your seat. We know you won't but having warned you, it's now your look out if we hit turbulence. Surprising though this may be to some, children are not immune to the effects of turbulence. If your hand baggage doesn't fit under the seat, put it in the locker above you. If it doesn't fit there either you shouldn't have brought it on with you. If you are sat by an emergency exit or in a bulk head seat, it will have to go in the locker. There will be no negotiation on that. Despite what you may think, there are no bag fairies in the lockers that will spirit your stuff away without you noticing. If the curtain is in front of you, the toilet is behind you. If the curtain is behind you, the toilet is in front of you. If you have to go through the curtain, you are going to the wrong toilet. All electrical items must be switched off and that's off, not on standby, but off when the engines are running on the ground and during take off, approach and landing. We are not as stupid as you may think we are. The fact you usually leave the sound switched on generally gives you away, as do other tell tale signs that I'm not going to tell you about. Headphones must also be removed, not just because you won't hear us but because you will very likely inadvertently tie yourself and whoever is sat in the same row to the seat in the event of an emergency evacuation. Finally, do not smoke. Smoking is not allowed on the aircraft at any time. The toilets are considered as being on the aircraft. We will put you out with a fire extinguisher if we suspect you are smoking.

Thank you for flying Honest Airways."

That better JJ? :E :p

(Before I get yelled at, the above is obviously very much tongue in cheek and not a dig at JJ or anyone else that has posted. It's actually quite handy to know the things that drive passengers mad in PA's and where I can, I do make slight alterations if many people complain about the same thing. Unfortunately, most of the PA's we have to read are structured to cover the legal requirements so cannot be changed. Many of the airlines also insist you read them out exactly as they have been written by some person in an office, word for word. From my experience, it occasionally seems that the person in the office has never tried saying them out loud to see if a) it's actually possible to read them without getting completely tongue tied or b) you can read them out without sounding like a new recruit on a toddlers ride at Disney World! Apologies to OP for a major thread drift!)

Able Tare
2nd Oct 2010, 17:08
Right from the word go! "Good morning ladies and gentlemen, this is your Captain Speaking", the most commonly used opening, contains three basic errors:
1.Ladies and Gentlemen: This doesn't include everyone. There might be "gender-indeterminates" on board, as well as lords, dukes, viscounts, naval officers and goodness knows what else. Try "everyone". Simple, short, inclusive.
2.You are not "their" captain, you are "the" captain. Better yet, you are Captain (your name).
3.You are not Captain Speaking (probably. I never met anyone called Captain Speaking!). It is not necessary to explain that you are speaking-if they can hear you, they'll know!
Thus "Good morning everyone, this is Captain Constellation. I'd just like to etc, etc"

Nicholas49
2nd Oct 2010, 19:31
I really, really don't care what your name is, what the F/O's name is, what the senior CCM's name is, or those of the cabin crew.

Well I (and most others I suspect) would like to know the commander's name, if that's OK with you. :ok:

easyflyer83
2nd Oct 2010, 19:51
Good point Nicholas 49. For everyone who doesn't like PA's/their content etc etc there are people who do value them and the same goes for boarding music and pretty much everything else in life.

There are crew members who are god awful at PA's but most PA's are there for a reason. Granted, sales PA's maybe a little annoying but they are here to stay until you pay a decent fare. Sorry guys.

As someone mentioned a few posts back, it is simply good manners to introduce yourself. Particularly on a long haul flight you are going to be in close proximity for a long time so most passengers will find this a polite gesture not to mention, potentially, an ice breaker. If you want a robot/clinical process then thats fine but I guess that would mean me dispensing with please and thankyous. After all, that is good manners too.

Able Tare.... as much as I bow down to your excellent grammar, nobody likes a smart ar*se.

Jumbo Jockey
4th Oct 2010, 21:57
As you wish:rolleyes:

Agaricus bisporus
6th Oct 2010, 12:08
Able, your post contains three fundamental errors. (ie all of it).

1) "ladies and gentlemen" is the accepted form in our society of greeting a group of people, is it not? I have no idea why sexual deviants, dukes, lords or naval officers might feel the need to be specifically included. What about tax officials or butchers? Or crabs?

2) You most certainly are "their" Captain. They are required by law to obey your lawful commands, which includes "sit back and relax" if you wish to be so dictatorial, so as you have command over them...

3) "...your Caprain Speaking" is gramatically incorrect. In this context there can be no capital letter in "speaking" as it is perfectly clear that "speaking" cannot be construed as his name. There might be if he said "This is Captain Speaking", but he did not as you incuded the posessive "your".

Happier now? ;)

jfkjohan
8th Oct 2010, 08:06
Hi Everyone,

First of all let me just again, thank you so very much for jumping on this topic. It has been very enlightening to me and my team who are constantly browsing through this thread/topic every so often to check on updates from you!

I am pleased to share that my team and I just returned from conducting the 2nd round of "improving announcements" training within an airline headquartered locally here in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

The results of which have been very promising.

We are contracted to train all the captains over the next couple of months before then possibly proceeding to train the First Officers and the other cabin crew etc.

What was very interesting for me personally was having the candidates in training realize that by improving their P.A. (and/or P.R. skills), they could eventually make the flying experience better for the passenger. We are also teaching them actual broadcasting techniques to improve their impromptu announcements so that a) They come across as professional, inspiring & pleasant, b) Attentive and caring and more importantly, c) They spend less time talking (or planning to say something) and more time flying the plane!

In the 2 classes (or total of 30 odd Commanders) we have trained so far, my team and I have also noticed vast improvements in their confidence when we share with them the proper techniques of making announcements. It is eventually a win/win situation for all. They sound good, it increases their confidence and the pax are happy.

Please do share with me any more of your thoughts should there be any, on how the industry as a whole could eventually improve the style of announcements particularly in the aircraft.

My vision would to possibly one day, change the infamous stereotyped opener of "Ladies & Gentleman this is your Captain speaking". Then again, is the industry ready for a change?

Regards,
Johan Farid Khairuddin

Johan Farid Khairuddin.com (http://www.johanfaridkhairuddin.com)

James' Bro
8th Oct 2010, 09:21
A classic which I will always remember .. from an IFS of a major carrier based out of KUL...

"Cabin crew, arm all doors and cross-check, we are going home!"

adds a bit of humor!

WHBM
10th Oct 2010, 20:41
Couple of comments from one who listens to the PAs, and has to do quite a bit of stuff to audiences elsewhere.

1. If you find you tend to hesitate in mid-flow, write the key points down so they are in front of you, in order. This can help to keep going. We hope that the commander is up front because they know what all the knobs do on the flight deck, rather than being in a public speaking examination trying to do it without notes.

2. Do not be put off by the IFE moaners who don't want any PA to interrupt their beloved films. They are a minority. If there's something interesting under the port side, please say so mid-flight. And no need for a long apology "for disturbing".

3. If you can do even a one-liner greeting in the language of the destination country, please do so, it's appreciated, as long as your pronunciation of it doesn't give rise to laughter.

4. Do maintain professionalism, and avoid that terrible introduction "Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls".

5. Destination weather and even approach direction are always welcome, although not the complete arrival ATIS ! I've never heard the identification letter read out yet, but it's been close sometimes.

6. "I am your captain, John Smith" is better than "This is Captain Smith".

7. If you have to break off to deal with something, just stop, mid-word if necessary.

8. Don't pretend that touchdown at scheduled arrival time is "on time". Time is measured chocks-on at the gate, EVEN for the pax.

9. Finally, confident voice. Speak clearly into the mike, don't mumble, not too fast. And smile as you are saying it (this really works).

rich_g85
11th Oct 2010, 09:28
I really enjoy flight deck announcements. The more information you can give, the better. I don't get to fly on an airliner that often, so I'm one of the 'sad' types who has his nose pressed to the perspex from boarding to getting off, savouring every sight and sound.

Commercial aviation fascinates me, so hearing 'real' data about the flight I'm on (crew names, departure runway, cruising level, enroute weather and so on) somehow makes it more 'real' and makes me wish I'd followed my dreams and become an airline pilot instead of a software engineer. :)

mykul10
19th Oct 2010, 08:53
"Able Tare.... as much as I bow down to your excellent grammar, nobody likes a smart ar*se."

Able Tare, I think that was an epic post!

jfkjohan
19th Oct 2010, 10:10
Hey everyone,

When it comes to length, what would you reckon be the sweet-spot for time?

What should you say, what should you not etc.

In my course, I advise them to get straight to the point, get in-get out.

Any guidelines you would like to share within your airlines and/or your own experience(s) for example, which could give me some additional thought; so that I can share them with the commanders.

Do you think,

"Hi Everyone, this is Captain JFK, I am pleased to inform you that we are running ahead of schedule and expect to be at the gate in XYZ, in approximately 15 minutes from now. Thank you for your kind attention".

... Is sufficient?

Or maybe you'd even add in the flight level, temperature, weather enroute and / or reason for getting there faster (ie. tailwind) etc.

I'm trying to keep things as short as possible for those who don't have english as their first language, so that at least they reduce the urrrsss... and ummmss....

Thanks!

Regards,
JFK

Bealzebub
20th Oct 2010, 00:18
I do think you are in danger of analyzing this to death!

Use common sense and a bit of thoughtful application, but be yourself and be aware of the message you are trying to convey.

As the Captain or First Officer, you are essentially conveying an introduction and welcome to the passengers. You are in charge of the flight and ideally you would come across as being the person in authority.

What you say, is up to you, based on your own perception of your audience and the information you feel you need to impart, coupled with what you think the majority might like to know. All of this will be modified by whatever time constraints apply on the day, as well as any number of variables that might cause the content to change.

Like everything else, it is a learning process, and experience will tend to make it better. For most people it is a communication that doesn't need to be scripted, and the content will evolve as their own experience does. Certainly in an industry that tends to combine studied understatement with whimsical overstatement, it should be remembered that the general populace can become confused or alarmed by resulting nuances. Nevertheless, the PA should be a communication that reflects the professional personality of the individual delivering it, based on their own assesment, experience, common sense, and choice of content.

I have to say that most Commanders would already be very aware of this, and it is more a case of you who needs to learn from them, rather than the other way around. There is nothing wrong with the odd "errr and umm" if it serves to reflect that a human being is delivering a personal address. As I have said before this isn't a studio recording, or a radio show. There is no "sweet spot" (dear God!) for time. This is something that you adjust to suit the circumstances. There may well be occaisions when time is not a constraint and there is more to say, and other periods when time management needs more careful application.

Try asking your commanders what their advice is? "Teaching Grandma to suck eggs" isn't usually productive.

MIKECR
20th Oct 2010, 18:37
Rightly or wrongly, I tend to keep it short and sweet. If its an arrival PA then - where we are, expected time of arrival, and weather at destination....thats your lot! If I try and add anything else it tends to just come out like flowery pi**.....I never was good at public speaking!!:}

Vulcan607
20th Oct 2010, 21:25
glad u can admit something mike. your PA's are rubbish :D

Hannah222
21st Oct 2010, 18:13
well we fly a lot and the most annoying thing about announcements are when they are given in little bits. I|t sounds like the captain has forgotten something so adds it on a bit later. i like the thing about a greeting in the language of the country you land in/depart from. As for the "stay proffesional" a relaxed pilot who makes a joke I think is nicer because then you can relax too. If you're flying into a city I think the pilot should point out landmarks (e.g statue of liberty ) as people who don't fly often may want to see these things as long as it's not the middle of the night. Constant updates are bad as it interrupts films, music, conversations or when people are tying to get to sleep so simple points at the beginning and end of the flight are best. I like names I think you should know who is flying you the same way whenever we go in a taxi dad asks the driver for a name- it's polite. Just thought you may want a younger point of view! Oh and PilotsOfTheCaribbean- I love your name it made me lol! x

jfkjohan
22nd Oct 2010, 01:58
Thanks guys. Interesting to hear all your comments. Although we can't make everyone happy, it at least gives us all a guide to know what points-- would (make you happy). Thanks again.

walterthesofty
25th Oct 2010, 10:26
Well I (and most others I suspect) would like to know the commander's name, if that's OK with you. :ok:

Why on earth would "most others" have the faintest interest in the skippers name??, i suspect most normal people would have about as much interest in his name as they would the names of guys who refueled the aircraft or the one who loaded their bags .

Agaricus bisporus
26th Oct 2010, 12:19
Walt, most "normal" people in our society introduce themselves by communicating their name. That may not be how it's done in Luton, but elsewhere it is universal.
What would you suggest as a greeting? "Or-woi, loik, innit." perhaps?

Nicholas49
27th Oct 2010, 12:35
walterthesofty - you are a funny one!

As the previous poster said, it is common practice to introduce oneself using one's name, whatever the social context.

On every flight I have taken this year (all from Luton, coincidentally, so it can't be a "Luton" thing ;)), the captain introduced himself by name. That really is the "normal" way of doing things.

Your second comment demonstrates you do not understand the unique nature of the relationship between the captain and passengers in comparison with other members of staff who are part of flight operations. And yes, the captain's name is more "relevant" than the baggage handler's, not least because one is legally in charge of several hundred people and the other is not.

One Outsider
27th Oct 2010, 15:13
The fact of the matter is that most passengers do not listen, of those that do most will have forgotten what was said 5 minutes later. With that in mind, and that no matter what you say or how you say it someone will always prefer just the opposite, keep it short and keep it simple.

Wirbelsturm
29th Oct 2010, 17:46
How about you let the person making the PA decide how they want to do and you decide if you want to listen or not?

:ugh:

One Outsider
29th Oct 2010, 20:10
Sure Wirbel, do whatever you want. You can even leave the stick firmly in place if you like.

As both a giver and receiver of PAs, and this being a thread in which the OP asked for thoughts on the matter, I obliged.

What did you do?

Wirbelsturm
30th Oct 2010, 09:00
As both a giver and receiver of PAs, and this being a thread in which the OP asked for thoughts on the matter, I obliged.

What did you do?

How odd, as a giver and reciever of PA's myself I don't feel obliged to go into the cockpit and give whoever is making the PA a brief on how I wish it to be done. As I do not have the ability to influence what or how it is said I will leave it up to the individual.

I then decide what parts I wish to listen to. I always pay attention during the emergency brief however out of courtesy to the crew.

jfkjohan
26th Nov 2010, 14:52
Once again I want to sincerely thank you for commenting on this thread. Just to give everyone a quick update on how the training is going with the airline i'm working with, must say that the commanders are all very receptive and open to learning new ways on how they could probably further "enhance" and or "improve" the efficiency of their messages / PAs.

Am in no way telling them what to say, merely sharing ways on how they can say what they want to say-- better and again, have the message be received more effectively.

Any commander here willing to share with me how you would explain a "Touch & Go" though? Hehe

Thanks.

Johan.

Bealzebub
27th Nov 2010, 17:40
Explain to who? We don't do "touch & go's" with customers on board. These are normally training manoeuvers.

jfkjohan
27th Nov 2010, 23:27
Its part of the role-playing exercise we are doing during the course.

The participants are given scenarios and some of them include having the need to perform a touch & go just to ascertain the "wheels are down & locked".

This is not flight training but merely an announcement course.

Needs for this were raised by the airline when reports were submitted of commanders constantly using bombastic aviation words during their announcements "Ie. Ladies & Gentleman, bla bla bla, temp is xyz, dew point is abc, we are expected to hold over this vor at x thousand feet and bla bla bla".

We are sharing with them ways on how to "re-word the phrases" when transmitting to the passengers, and am merely now looking for what your thoughts would be when having the need to re-word "touch & go" in a sentence. Would be interesting to know what you would say!

Thanks.

JFK

Dawdler
28th Nov 2010, 16:25
We don't do "touch & go's" with customers on board. These are normally training manoeuvers.It could happen, perhaps inadvertently, arriving either too high or too hot and not recognising the necessity for a go-around early enough.

Agaricus bisporus
28th Nov 2010, 20:27
An American pilot might remark without irony, "Well Folks, I did say we'd be landing momentarily" and perhaps add, " We''ll try to make it a little more permanent next time".

Another might say " Apologies if we worried you all there, If I'd exercised the right amount of judgment at the right time that would never have happened".

or "Bugger! that was Brussels, not Hamburg".

"Oops, I'll get my coat!"

Nicholas49
29th Nov 2010, 08:25
Dawdler, do you mean something like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQfESkzHPtM) ?! Must have been an interesting one to explain!

Northbeach
5th Dec 2010, 01:41
Any commander here willing to share with me how you would explain a "Touch & Go" though? HeheWhenever my landing is unsuccessful and I end up “going around” I have to concentrate on flying the jet. When the jet is safe and taken care of, I am at the correct altitude, airspeed, configuration and headed in the right direction, Air Traffic Control dealt with, the company has been consulted and the flight attendants briefed then I have the time to talk to the passengers.

It really helps to have given some thought as to what to say to the passengers long before you have to speak over the PA. Often immediately following a “go around” the workload is high and the level of “stress” is higher as well.

First of all relax and breathe, speak without telegraphing tension in your voice regardless of the reason for the “go around”.

Speak in generalities emphasizing safety and include a resolution in your announcement.For example let’s say that I failed to properly plan my approach and I ended up too high and too fast and after touching down decided I was not sure I could stop the jet so I decided to go around (Your "Commanders" will never do such a thing of course). When appropriate I would say something along the lines of the following:

“Ladies and Gentlemen this is your captain speaking. During our approach and landing into Budapest today we constantly monitor many important things such as airspeed, distance between ourselves and other traffic, changing weather and runway conditions and many other items. Whenever any one of those items is not to our likening we will discontinue the approach and return when we are confident that all of the safety parameters are met to our satisfaction. Air traffic control is sequencing us in for landing at Budapest again; I anticipate a completely normal landing in 10 minutes. We will have you safely on the ground shortly.

Speak in generalities: “many important things such as airspeed distance between ourselves and other traffic, changing weather and runway conditions”. Forget specifics like “sink rate warning, windshear warning”, inadequate spacing, exceeding cross wind limit (or any “limitation”). They are not understood, will cause alarm, and do nothing but generate questions in people’s mind that you will not be able to answer given the conditions.

Emphasize safety: place the passenger back as the subject matter; “your well being, your comfort and in the interest of your safe travel experience”. Emphasize and focus the subject and the attention back on the passenger and away from the non-routine event they just experienced.

Include a resolution in your announcement: air traffic control is sequencing us in for landing at Budapest again, I anticipate a completely normal landing in 10 minutes, and we will have you safely on the ground shortly. The unknown can generate anxiety, so preempt their anxiety and give them a time frame (10 minutes) and a successful conclusion; their “safe arrival”.

Following such a pattern has systematically given your passengers an explanation without casting specific blame on any single item or individual or overwhelming your them with technical terms and details. Further you have assured them that their safety is your priority and you have given them a time frame (psychologically important). Finally you have told them what the end result will be; their safe arrival at their destination. In the process you have placed them back in the 'spotlight' rather than the non-routine "Touch & Go".

I have several “canned speeches” in my repertoire that I fall back on when I need to talk to the passengers following some non-routine event. I just pick out the relevant items and place them in my PA while I am reassuring the passengers that I am giving them the best customer service I am capable of, our actions taken were taken in the interest of their safety and that they can soon expect a safe conclusion to their flight.

These repertoires of mine exist because I have badly handled such things in the past and during the self critiquing phase thought of what I had wished I had said. Or, I heard a true professional colleague really do a splendid job and have sought to emulate their success. Rather than sitting around dreaming up speeches to listen to myself talk.

Sadly many pilots do not do a good job on PAs. Frankly they sound terrible and/or say inappropriate things that confuse, piss off and exasperate the negative experience for the passengers.:ugh:

Remember you may not know who is on your flight. Your passengers could include a multi-thousand hour attorney/barrister pilot specializing in aviation litigation, an inspector for your local governmental aviation safety agency, company VIPs, other members of the airline community as well as nervous first time fliers.

Never admit guilt, error, or nonprofessional conduct.

Daysleeper
5th Dec 2010, 19:32
Having done a rejected landing from about 4 feet last winter doing the PA was about the worst part of it! Twas one of those windy as heck days, I'd already warned the pax it would be windy while en-route. About the first opportunity I had to talk to the pax was downwind on the Radar vectors back to do it all over again. All I had time to say on the go-around was that we had encountered rapidly changing wind conditions close to the ground, it was a far safer decision to throw that landing away. The shower that caused the wind was now moving away from the airfield and we would have another attempt.

Actually that's what I think I said but I was probably talking in such a high pitched tone that only dogs could hear me, hey ho.

I suspect the customer service damage was done long before I was speaking, as it had been a rough old approach and the cabin crew later told me about 4 or 5 pax had started vomiting as soon as the power came on. :yuk:

Agaricus bisporus
6th Dec 2010, 11:25
Do not exasperate fear.

You'll certainly exasperate people (that's not to say puzzle the hell out of them too) by using incorrect words like that on a PA, or anywhere else for that matter!

Agaricus bisporus
7th Dec 2010, 13:08
NB, this thread is about improving PAs isn't it? We've all agreed that jargon, slang and technical terms should be avoided yet you seem to feel it is not only OK to use words that are meaningless in the context, and worse, to poke ridicule at anyone who points this out. I trust you don't ridicule correct use of terminology in flying procedures too...

I merely pointed out the obvious that randomly substituted words make a nonsense of the sentence, just as if I'd written that incorrigable words make a nutbush of the sentence. How on earth is that being pedantic?

ps. The correction credits should be in the name of comprehensible language and that is nothing to do with me, I didn't invent the language so my name doesn't belong there; and secondly, if you're going to make such an unnecesssary spectacle of correcting yourself at least do it properly, not just one half of it! No, I'll not point it out, you'd probably take even more offence at me for your error.
:ugh: (that's a hint)

ExMaintainer
11th Dec 2010, 05:46
As SLF, i know where i am going and when we are going to land, unless i have boarded the wrong flight. So we do not need for the driver to introduce them selves. the Flight Attendants have to do the required safety brief of course. no further needed. On a flight to Manchester last year, we were spoken AT, by the Chief FA, the Deputy FA then the other language Chief FA then their Deputy FA then the driver. Took over an hour, then a blurb on how to use the In Flight Entertainment repeated in the alternate language. AHHHHH!!!!

this is why SLF are increasingly carrying their own movie/music players. i for one will carrying ear defenders in future. If you want to add value to the SLF experience, it is simple. SHUT UP!!!:ugh:

A37575
1st Jan 2011, 12:29
My favourite hate is a typical Australian low cost airline PA by the captain, or F/O and always the FA's which is "Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and girls". Even though there are no children aboard.

One captain on our company B737 flying across the South Pacific and with nothing to be seen apart from the occasional desert island (atoll), often came up with:

"We are flying at 35,000 feet and apart from occasional slight turbulence the weather is fine for the flight. For those interested in geography, on our left wing tip far over the horizon is England 12,000 miles way. On the right at 2000 miles is Honolulu and if you love the snow, then the Antartic is 4000 miles directly behind us on our tail".

The "occasional light turbulence" was designed to cover the typical South Pacific thunderstorms, and an occasional typhoon in the area.

And variations of the same. The feed back from passengers was very encouraging