PDA

View Full Version : Windows and file sharing vulnerability

BOAC
19th Aug 2010, 07:27
Last week Apple fixed an I-Tunes vulnerability involving the loading of "safe" file types from remote network locations. A company called Acros Security says this vulnerability works when a remote attacker plants a malicious DLL with a specific name on a network share and get the user to open a media file from this network eg using I-Tunes, requiring minimal effort by the attacker.

Microsoft Windows and about 40 applications that run on it are vulnerable to this form of attack and M$ are 'investigating'. As always, Facebook/Twitter etc users beware?

mixture
19th Aug 2010, 07:53
BOAC,

Much as your vulnerability warning efforts are admirable, I would think you're putting yourself in a risky situation where people might start relying on you to issue the advisories ?

Given the number of combinations of different software and different vulnerabilities you're going to have to start doing a lot more posting than you are at the moment to keep up with them all.

Personally I would think the mods would do better to put a sticky at the top of the C&I forum giving links to well known sites that activley maintain lists of current security vulnerabilities (or "security advisories" as the software developers prefer to call them) .... as well as a set of FAQs which seem to come up time and time again here on C&I.

BOAC
19th Aug 2010, 08:29
A good idea and you should PM the mod?

people might start relying on you to issue the advisories - would hope not, but that they would perhaps Google 'Acros' and see what it is all about? There are plenty of links.

Better forewarned than forlorn?

mixture
19th Aug 2010, 09:33
A good idea and you should PM the mod?

Maybe.... but then I do know mod Saab is regularly sighted in this dark and dingy corner of PPRuNe. :ok:

Better forewarned than forlorn?

Don't misunderstand my point, I was being genuine when I said your efforts were admirable....only wanted to put forward my 2 <currency> worth of thoughts......

rgbrock1
19th Aug 2010, 13:35
BOAC:

Many of these "vulnerabilities" are, IMHO, over-exaggerated in that the majority of users would never suffer from these security lapses. As long as one is careful/cautious/paranoid about what one does on the Interweb then the chances of suffering from one of these security issues is somewhat mitigated.

BOAC
19th Aug 2010, 13:41
RG - agreed, but how many Faceb o o k/Twitter/I-Tunes/whatever users fit that spec?:)

rgbrock1
19th Aug 2010, 16:02
Correct BOAC. I've seen people do some very troubling things on sites like Facebook or Twitter. (Both of which I will never have an account on. NEVER.)

iTunes, on the other hand, is virtually problem-free.

BOAC
20th Aug 2010, 07:42
I'll write this very small, but it now looks as if at least 200 Windows applications are affected. There is a temporary fix if anyone is interested.

BOAC
24th Aug 2010, 08:20
Microsoft information on 'the issue' and fixes

Microsoft Security Advisory (2269637): Insecure Library Loading Could Allow Remote Code Execution (http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/2269637.mspx)

Microsoft Security Advisory 2269637 Released - The Microsoft Security Response Center (MSRC) - Site Home - TechNet Blogs (http://blogs.technet.com/b/msrc/archive/2010/08/21/microsoft-security-advisory-2269637-released.aspx)

and the 'fix'

A new CWDIllegalInDllSearch registry entry is available to control the DLL search path algorithm (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2264107)

Over to the gurus now to decide if this is REALLY a problem or should we ignore it.

BOAC
25th Aug 2010, 08:46
First 3 apps named:

uTorrent BitTorrent client
PowerPoint
Firefox