PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Thailand (on a JAR PPL)

Conan the Vulgarian
18th Aug 2010, 21:40
I may be travelling to Thailand late this year and doing some flying there. It would be helpful to know; 1 - How does one validate a JAR PPL in Thailand? Presumably one also needs a Thai medical - hopefully the process is no more onerous and involves no greater amount of testicular fondling than it does in Europe?

2 - Are the VFR charts up to date, accurate and readily available?

3 - Are there a decent number of airports and strips that are suitable, well maintained and generally with low to moderate pucker factor?

4 - Are there a decent number of servicable navaids?

5 - Is the Queens English spoken on the radio?

6 - How usable are the systems for getting met information, NOTAMs etc for a low-houred non Thai speaking pilot?

7 - I am considering renting from this place: THAI FLYING CLUB - General Aviation and Sport Flying in Thailand - AOPA THAILAND (http://www.thaiflyingclub.com/) although I haven't yet reached the stage of giving them a call. Any information people can give me about this particular club would be very helpful. The number of places to rent from seems very limited.

I'm fortunate enough to have Thai speaking friends who can help out with administrative stuff but they are not pilots, so pointers to anything else important that I may have forgotten to ask about would also be appreciated.

Conan The Vulgarian

sunny441
18th Aug 2010, 22:41
..........hopefully the process is no more onerous and involves no greater amount of testicular fondling than it does in Europe?

Thats a funny way of looking at a medical. I wouldnt feel too bad if it was a woman doing the medical..........

Conan The Vulgarian

I do not have answers to any of your questions! I just love the screen name! LMAO.

Cheers and good luck.!!

japanam
19th Aug 2010, 02:24
Conan

I don't have answers to your questions but I know of someone that may be able to help. Check this page out:

Welcome to MP Aviation (http://www.mpaviation.com)

His contact info is at the bottom of the front page so you might want to think about shooting him an e-mail with your questions! Hope this helps.

crj705
19th Aug 2010, 06:58
I should be able to answer your questions. I recently finished my validation with the Thai Flying Club. You will have to join the TFC, and have them do it for you. You cannot do the process on your own. You will have to sit an air law exam at the DCA in Bangkok and go through a background check. The whole process will take at least a month or so. No need for a Thai medical for a validation.

Other answers:

2 - Are the VFR charts up to date, accurate and readily available?

Not really. The only real VFR charts I have found are WAC charts which haven't been updated. There are some "homemade" charts on the TFC website that seem to work.

3 - Are there a decent number of airports and strips that are suitable, well maintained and generally with low to moderate pucker factor?

I really haven't ventured too far from Chonburi yet (where the TFC is located). There are a lot of small airports but most are unimproved and I wouldn't go there without someone else who has already been there with me. Commercial airports would be no problem though. There are some youtube videos of the pattern at Chonburi which is pretty interesting by itself.

4 - Are there a decent number of servicable navaids?

So so. But the radios in the club aircraft are average. Highly recommend a GPS if leaving the airport area.

5 - Is the Queens English spoken on the radio?

A form of english will be available. Can be difficult to understand.

6 - How usable are the systems for getting met information, NOTAMs etc for a low-houred non Thai speaking pilot?

I would find a Thai pilot from the club to help you with this. The manager there is a great guy and always willing to help.

The TFC is pretty much the only option you will have. Thailand's GA rules are archaic to say the least, and there are not many rental options.

Conan the Vulgarian
19th Aug 2010, 23:40
Thanks. Do you know what the TFC are like about letting you take the aircraft away for a few days at a time? Is this possible at all and if so what are the minimum hours they want you to fly it per day? Conan

crj705
20th Aug 2010, 03:51
Provided you join the club and have a validation, they will allow it during the week (I believe without a per day min), but are less likely on the weekends since they stay pretty busy. Otherwise, you would have to find someone to fly with you.

steveppl
5th Sep 2010, 04:24
Having converted to the Thai Validation PPL, how long does it last ? Do you have to renew the medical annualy (I'm over 40). Do you have to do a checkride with an examiner every year to renew the ppl ? All these are required for the philippines PPL which is a real pain !

martynj3
5th Sep 2010, 05:58
Please check your PM

martynj3
5th Sep 2010, 06:10
Conan,

It is worth checking out the "WINGSOVERASIA" site - some details there and the main driving force behind the site has extensive contacts in Thailand.

Out of interest, where are you flying from in the Phi.? I used to use Omni Aviation a lot at Clark, but have moved my focus more to the South - Mactan and Davao as I run out of new places in range of C172.

Agree on the hassles about the Phi. revalidation - though last time, I did get two years out of them by being "nice" at ATO. Which reminds me - start the nonsense again this November.

Have you considered/done Malaysian flying? A little more organised than the Phi. and a few good trips to do on the mainland (KL (over the city at 1,000', turn left at the Twin Towers !), Tioman, Malacca) A cheap commercial flight into Singapore, then fly out of JB works well.

Good luck with your Thai experience

Regards

- Martyn

steveppl
5th Sep 2010, 06:28
Yep I'm flying with Omni, great place and great people, one of the few honest professionL places up north. Where do u fly in Malaysia? Sounds good. You sent Conan a PM, can you send to me (about Thai FC?), cheers.