PDA

View Full Version : Where in Europe to take ATPL Test?

ice2x01
18th Aug 2010, 19:12
Hello,

I have just completed my CPL/IR and I am looking to get an ATPL, it is my understanding that I can take the exam without enrolling in a course per se.. but I would like to be pointed in the direction of some flight schools which offer this. I would prefer somewhere in England, but anywhere in Europe is acceptable.

Also, this may seem like a silly question, but is the only type of ATPL availible a JAR ATPL or is there an ICAO ATPL ?

Finally, where would be the best place to obtain the study materials for this exam?

I appreciate the help, for here in Egypt there is a lack of information about such things.

BoeingDreamer
18th Aug 2010, 20:02
You can't take an ATPL.

You can get frozen ATPL. ATPL theory + CPL/IR/ME JAR.
Frozen ATPL becomes ATPL when you pass 1500 total time (however requires many different categories of flying hours, to find out more check JAR Air Law)

It is complicated, you can only achieve ATPL after you have plenty of flying experience, in various conditions that apply. Do some research first on the topic.

slav4o1
18th Aug 2010, 20:37
Egypt isn't a JAA member state so doing ATPL here will be useless to you. There is a difference between JAA, ICAO , FAA etc. UK is JAA member and I assume you have ICAO licences. If you want to get JAR licences you have to complete the ATPL theory (14 exams) and then convert the IR/CPL to JAR-FCL standard.

ice2x01
19th Aug 2010, 15:25
Yes, I meant a frozen ATPL or ATPL Theory.

So where can I take the ATPL theory ICAO test?

BigGrecian
19th Aug 2010, 15:33
frozen ATPL.

There is no such licence! It does not exist under JAR FCL 1.

You are referring to a JAA CPL with an MEIR and your ATPL theories complete.

CVs/Resumes of pilots claiming to hold a frozen ATPL go straight in the bin where I work.

Why don't you review : http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/131649-archive-reference-threads-posting-guidelines-read-before-you-post-question.html - your questions has been asked many times before.