PDA

View Full Version : Jet2 Recruiting now

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Starbear
18th Aug 2010, 15:38
Advert on Flightglobal for B757/737 both seats. Is this an odd time of year or very forward thinking?

OutsideCAS
18th Aug 2010, 15:57
Believe it to be 'forward thinking/planning' - suspect they're (Jet2) getting a little head start on the others just about to launch their recruitment plans very shortly............

captgeorgekajo
18th Aug 2010, 16:09
odd, the link to their website says no jobs available now?!?

Firestorm
18th Aug 2010, 16:26
They will be accepting applications via their website from the 24th of August so there's not much point in applying via Flight Global Jobs as I have just found out! It does seem to be a bad case of forward thinking which is rather unusual in an airline in this day and age!

Go or Stay
18th Aug 2010, 16:53
Would any current Jet2 pilots like to share any views on their T&Cs, is it a happy ship, how are you treated by management and what is an average roster like?

Have tried a search but can't find any current details.
Many thanks

Crosswind Limit
18th Aug 2010, 18:11
I suspect they're testing the waters, trying the same thing they did last winter just a bit earlier this year. Probably because those recruited on the cheap last time (part time/temp contracts) are leaving as well as a load of full timers heading for the middle east. Not surprising really.

fly-half
18th Aug 2010, 19:21
Great news! I shall put an application in but will it be the same rubbish 70% contract they had this year?

Spoke to a captain friend of mine who is with them and he has heard they have had a bunch of request for references from the Middle East.

I would love to work for them but it would be hard doing so knowing I was having the piss taken out of me. (first officer here, 2800TT, B737NG&CL).

tonker
18th Aug 2010, 19:43
I have been here for nearly 5 years, and like any bunch of people who work together we moan about this that and the other. But most of us are still here.

The bases are great and there is a good variety. Blackpool, very much a flying club atmosphere as its a small but busy base. Edinburgh, not currently as busy with a nice bunch of people led by a popular base Captain and obviously next to one of the best cities in Europe. Manchester is getting busier and bigger with only the car parking a bit of a regular moan. Leeds, HQ and much busier. If you like the hustle and bustle etc and need to build hours, plus living next to some really nice countryside and towns then this is for you. Newcastle where i am based is a popular and friendly base. Again a great city next to some outstanding countryside.

As an F/O you will take home approx £2800, depending on the base and the hours you do. I average about 450-500 hours a year. At Leeds i guess nearer 700 hrs wouldn't be far wrong. I put in £250 per month into a pension scheme and the company matches it. There is a new loss of license scheme which can get you up to £1,000 per month for five years. If you go sausage side whilst in service, your folks inherit about £137,000 for the pleasure:ouch:

Regardless of base there is one common theme and i bet it's the same at most airlines, the folks you work with by and large are your good friends and are there to do a good job for everyone.

Good luck anyway:ok:

Coffin Corner
18th Aug 2010, 20:04
Tonker

I assume the £2800 is take home pay?

hollingworthp
18th Aug 2010, 20:04
Hi Tonker - is £2800 net or gross?

wingbar
18th Aug 2010, 20:56
Are these guys wanting rated people on the 73/75 or are they likely to take non rated but with experience as well?

Jet2 would suit me well I'm from Yorkshire!

hollingworthp
18th Aug 2010, 21:00
The ad is open to both rated & non-rated

B757 & B737 Captains & First Officers ? Various Bases - 1400919926 - Flight Jobs (http://www.flightglobal.com/jobs/job/b757-b737-captains-first-officers-various-bases-united-kingdom-1400919926.htm)

cap.pulitov
19th Aug 2010, 13:14
wow..:D Can someone post please more info on EDI Cap. 737 roster and salary? Very curious as never been invited for interview last year when GSM went down..Now in the sand w new shinny type rating and a bond..But missing Scotland already..
Many thanks

JB007
19th Aug 2010, 13:46
This is good stuff! Not interested myself, but does anyone know if they are permanent positions been offered or that 'p!sstaking' summer contract?!?

The non-type rated recruitment is excellent, although I suspect the numbers may not be big but airlines desperatly short or with un-happy pilot work forces should be taking note...

Lets hope this is the trickle to the beginning of the flood gates opening...

PAPI-74
19th Aug 2010, 16:06
About 47.5k then (give or take) Gross.

....assuming that you get paid this 12 months of the year.....

wingbar
19th Aug 2010, 17:35
Hi guys,

Just applied via flight global, and attached CV etc.

However, on the actual Jet2 website it said that all Aircrew recruitment is closed until sometime in 2011!

Can anybody shed any light on this?

BackingBA
19th Aug 2010, 17:44
This is what the website says.

Currently, vacancies for Cabin Crew/Aircrew are now closed but we would like to thank-you for your interest in Jet2.com. Please visit the website again in early September as we will be recruiting again for Summer 2011Regards

Pin Head
19th Aug 2010, 17:49
will they take rated experienced 756 fo's for upgrade to Captain? How short are they?

PAPI-74
19th Aug 2010, 18:04
Blagh Blagh!!

They only want pilots with Turbo Prob experience. Sorry!

wingbar
19th Aug 2010, 18:09
BackingBa,

Thanks for clearing that up, not too long then before it's open.
RTFQ on my part!

Coffin Corner
19th Aug 2010, 19:24
Do Jet2 require you to fund your type rating? Either way can someone detail the deal on TRs please?

Thanks in advance.

TSandPSintheGREEN
20th Aug 2010, 12:43
What about rostering? Days OnOff, etc, how likely to work days off...

Starbear
21st Aug 2010, 10:32
So these positions are for pilots to be on line next Spring rather than this year then?

Firestorm
21st Aug 2010, 13:37
They must have ended up short because I had a call on a Thursday about 6 weeks go asking if I was able to start on the Monday, and could the agency put my details forward to Jet 2. Maybe they are having to go through the process of re-recruiting the summer only contractors for next year. Who knows. It will all come out in the wash!

SKYWRITER1
22nd Aug 2010, 08:32
People have already been taken on as a summer "top up", on short term contracts until Oct 31st. This latest recruitment seems more of a reaction to possible resignations than anything else. There is a lot of talk of the sandpit on the flightdeck.

If Jet2 are trying to beat the rush, they will have to be offering full time contracts and earlier rather than later starts. If not, surely there will be a lot of guys putting any potential job offer in their back pocket, and seeing what happens between now and next spring???

Crosswind Limit
22nd Aug 2010, 16:29
So, we're told Flightglobal ad is running with Flight International ad to run next month. First intake joining in October.;)
Jet2 have an arrangement with Oxford for ab-initios starting with us in January. (I guess they will being paying) Line trainers brace yourselves.:eek:
There are also plans to recruit from the RAF/Navy for next summer. Didn't see that one coming!:ooh:
And that's all we've been told folks.

Coffin Corner
22nd Aug 2010, 19:40
Guys what about the Type Rating for DEPs? Is it payable by the pilot or a bond etc.?

Uncle Wiggily
22nd Aug 2010, 19:46
Bond??? I once heard of this term, bond, a long long time ago. C'mon, man...cash up front!

Coffin Corner
22nd Aug 2010, 19:54
They can f%*" off then, I'll stay where I am ;)

Junta Leader
23rd Aug 2010, 06:01
If they are after ex-Mil types next Summer, not confident they'll get that many if they don't go down the bond route rather than the TR...

Crosswind Limit
23rd Aug 2010, 07:59
In the past if you were joining without being type rated, you would be expected to join the Channex Type Rating Scheme.
In short you had to pay 20K for 737 or 17K for 757 upfront.:{
Jet2 would then divide your salary into 2 parts for 3 years - CTRS salary and Training cost repayment. The Training cost repayment part would be tax free. After 3 years both parts are combined to make full/final salary and taxed.:hmm:
As for mil types, I would think it depends how badly they want/need the job. Jet2 are pretty good at dangling the carrot.

Artie Fufkin
23rd Aug 2010, 17:27
Not sure whether the old CTRS deal would still apply. CTRS stood for CTC Type Rating Scheme, but CTC has been dumped and a deal done with Oxford.

Internal fleet transfers have been mentioned, but RE has allegedly told a few guys that these would be at the pilot's expense :eek: (so presumably zero takers on that one).

If we're after "rumours" I heard talk of 100 pilots required for next year. If that's even half true then something big must be on the horizon, "international recruitment" as they call it isn't going to account for that much attrition. Expanding East Mids? Glasgow? The mythical Southern base?

Oher rumours I have heard include cadet MPLs with a secondment to Eastern.

Spikedog
23rd Aug 2010, 21:26
It's all hearsay and the company will continue to offer rubbish contracts (70%) until they are desperately short of crews. If they are hiring so many for next year then why have the guys/girls who have been working this summer on 70% not been offered anything more permanent? Because that is the future at Jet2 - work your arse off during the summer for 70% salary (6 days on, 2 off) and have 5 months off during the winter. Unless you are semi retired with no mortgage to pay why would you want this kind of deal?!

It looks like the future is to contintue to hire and promote people on part time deals, which means it is not a career, but mearly a stop gap.

As soon as other airlines start hiring then pilots are going to leave in droves and Jet2 are really going to struggle. This is probably why they are trying to build up a pool of people by advertising so early, striking a deal with Oxford and talking of recruiting military pilots. Maybe there are a lot of people already looking at the middle east and management have got worried? Who knows and quite frankly who cares? If you want a part time low paid job then look no further, if you want a career then look a lot, lot further!

EGCC4284
24th Aug 2010, 02:17
Flight Deck Crew Requirements | Qatar Airways (http://www.qatarairways.com/global/en/flightdeck-req.html)

punk666
24th Aug 2010, 04:11
So, after receiving an email from jet2 asking me to fill out an application on their website www.jet2.com/pilots (http://www.jet2.com/pilots) from the 24 August, I go on the website to see that it still saying no more recruitment at this point in time, come back in september.

Maybe because its 0530 in the UK and im on the opposite side of the world right now.

I dont know :D

Crosswind Limit
24th Aug 2010, 09:01
I tend to agree with Spikedog, a part-time job isn't a career. I wonder though if one can find any different with another UK airline at this point. The rewarding careers seem to be overseas, so it makes sense to look there rather than take a part-time job here and hope for better times ahead. Looking at some of the other threads there are some other opportunities in Europe and further of course. To each his/her own I suppose.

Eurocargo
24th Aug 2010, 10:32
I go on the website to see that it still saying no more recruitment till 2011

Where have you read this???? :confused:

Jobs.Jet2.com (http://jobs.jet2.com/jobs.php?d=13)

Anyway I got the same email, so wondering when they will open the selection process...

MatthewCoakley
24th Aug 2010, 10:39
Says come back in early september as they will then be recruiting for summer 2011

Firestorm
24th Aug 2010, 13:59
The website is open chpas. Last year's log in details still work. :D

DjerbaDevil
24th Aug 2010, 14:08
Just gone in Jobs.Jet2.com (http://jobs.jet2.com/jobs.php?d=13) and refreshed the page and came out and in again, and chose 'air crew' and all that and tried again and again, BUT:

Currently, vacancies for Cabin Crew/Aircrew are now closed but we would like to thank-you for your interest in Jet2.com. Please visit the website again in early September as we will be recruiting again for Summer 2011.
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

PaulW
24th Aug 2010, 14:12
Nice wind up it's still closed, with the same message as before, come back in September for 2011 recruitment.

flybyshark
24th Aug 2010, 14:40
I just completed my App, using the link they put on the email sent to me advising it was open.

I had done the flightglobal application the other day and received an email from Jet2 advising to apply again today, but as you say this morning it wasnt open.

However, later on today I received an email advising you could now apply.

TRY THIS

Jet2.com - Pilot Recruitment (http://www.jet2.com/pilots)

Eurocargo
24th Aug 2010, 15:00
I just completed my App, using the link they put on the email sent to me advising it was open.

I had done the flightglobal application the other day and received an email from Jet2 advising to apply again today, but as you say this morning it wasnt open.

However, later on today I received an email advising you could now apply.

TRY THIS

Jet2.com - Pilot Recruitment (http://www.jet2.com/pilots)

Same thing for me! Everything worked! :ok:

Starbear
24th Aug 2010, 18:30
Anyone have knowledge of typical sector pay per month for 757 Capt? Can't find details on their site.

JStone
24th Aug 2010, 19:38
Hi,

Did you guys who applied to Jet2 get a confirmation email?? I did'nt but the website says you should..

Cheers

Junta Leader
24th Aug 2010, 19:54
Did you guys who applied to Jet2 get a confirmation email?? I did'nt but the website says you should..

Afraid to say that I got an Email back within a few seconds of clicking 'Submit'...

You still can't get to the recruitment pages from the main Jet2 pages though; I only got onto them through the links kindly posted on here earlier.

JL:}

Junta Leader
24th Aug 2010, 20:03
Anyone have knowledge of typical sector pay per month for 757 Capt? Can't find details on their site.

While this might not be the most up-to-date information, there is a bit about pay here (http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/jobs/Jet2.com) that appears to have been updated quite recently...

Mintflavour
24th Aug 2010, 20:11
Is anyone re applying within the last 12 months?
As the application say anyone who has must wait until 12 Months has passed. I didnt get selected for interview last time.... so I just clicked no just to be able to send my application in. Did anyone else do the same?

mint

cap.pulitov
24th Aug 2010, 23:31
Yes Sir. Only thing couldn't update my CV from last year..i.e unable to replace CV with a new download. Unable to edit previous CV. Did manage to update my flying hours in the Flying experience section :) Good luck guys and hopefully meet some of you in future..Probably unable to join for another year with other commitments but keeping in touch and up to date is a must in this day and age :) Maybe get an invite for a chat on one of my visits back to UK.. At least I have a job!!! after only 3 months on the dole..

JackFloyd
25th Aug 2010, 01:24
I did my application today, from the e-mail link they sent me... and got the confirmation almost instantly!

Good luck to all who applied!:ok:

Penworth
25th Aug 2010, 01:59
Here's the things though, I just can't figure out if Jet2 have some big expansion masterplan that they haven't told their employees about yet or if they are just dicking us all around here. I can understand recruiting more guys on 70% deals to cover attrition and the S11 flying program, but they're looking for guys to start in October. As was mentioned previously, there's a load of guys already on 70% contracts who would love to go full time and the company is actively trying to push its full time employees onto part time contracts so why recruit for winter? Even if its not type rated folks they're taking on, they are going to be on the line well before next summer, and they can hardly be offered a 70% contract starting in, say, January 2011, so what am i missing here?

Starbear
25th Aug 2010, 07:11
Thanks for that Junta Leader.
Yes I had seen the PPJN stuff but was hoping for a bit more detail such as number if expected sectors and average rate. Up to £20 could mean a very wide variation.

But thanks again for the reply. SB

Junta Leader
25th Aug 2010, 07:19
...such as number of expected sectors and average rate...

Yep, I'd love to know that as well. All this talk of 70% contracts is interesting and, based on their timetable, the route structure does seem a bit 'thin' over the winter.

Starbear
25th Aug 2010, 07:22
Thanks for that Junta Leader.
Yes I had seen the PPJN stuff but was hoping for a bit more detail such as number of expected sectors and average rate. Up to £20 could mean a very wide variation.

But thanks again for the reply. SB

Herc708
25th Aug 2010, 07:39
Well done Jet2. Nice to see a civilised recruitment process where all the facts are given and each candidate will be afforded the respect they deserve. I think that any candidate can rest assured that, if they make an application, they will be treated fairly and amicably and I would not feel disgruntled in any way if I didn't make the grade

Mr Man
25th Aug 2010, 08:33
Couldn't agree more Herc,I was just thinking that myself.There seems to be a lot of unfriendliness around between employers and employees at the mo,and I think it's unnecessary,unfair and makes a mockery of the "Our staff are our greatest asset" etc statements that get banded about on websites and literature.I don't know if it originates from the outdated theory that the best productive environment is a hostile one or a general gloating that it's currently an employers market,but it's certainly there and unpleasant.The Jet2 process is such a refreshing change and I think the respect will be mutual,and will reflect in the delicate balance between successful expansion and a sham.This might seem a bit over the top but in my opinion something "feels right" about this development.I think Easjet made a big mistake not maximising on BA's problems,it was such a lost opportunity,with passengers just waiting for efficiency,respect and service.Maybe Jet2 can step up to the mark?

bountyhunter
25th Aug 2010, 11:36
Could someone in the know please outline the current situation at Jet2 with regards to the 70% contracts (whats the deal with that?) and how many people they have/need and on which fleet? Thanks.

per astra ad hominem
25th Aug 2010, 12:41
quote "led by a popular base Captain"- really?

Crosswind Limit
25th Aug 2010, 12:56
I think the only way to get answers regarding contracts/number of pilots required/bases etc. is to apply and go through selection. Jet2 pilots certainly aren't privy to the big picture and anything said would be speculation.

I can say that the last round of pilot recruitment was for either temporary contracts (finishing end of Oct subject to extension) or permanent part time contracts (full time summer & off in winter for 70% salary). I don't know of anyone having been taken on for permanent full time contracts recently.

binsleepen
25th Aug 2010, 13:36
Mintflavour

Is anyone re applying within the last 12 months?
As the application say anyone who has must wait until 12 Months has passed. I didnt get selected for interview last time.... so I just clicked no just to be able to send my application in. Did anyone else do the same?

I spoke to HR yesterday as I applied in Oct last year but got no further than a confirmation of my application. They said that they were only interested in those who had applied in the last 6 months and that I should apply again.

Regards

Vulka
25th Aug 2010, 13:56
Anyone know about minimum requirement,Tot. time or jet time? for first officer.

Thank you very much.

binsleepen
25th Aug 2010, 16:23
The times are in the advert and differ depending on which position you apply for.

Captainkingkong
25th Aug 2010, 20:31
A lot written about the 70% contracts, they seem unfair especially to maybe some FO's being upgraded to them etc. However look at the big picture the financial world is walking a knife edge, Jet2 has done well by managing all its costs and that includes crew. The majority of Jet2 work is summer based hence the 70% , ie winter is very ad-hoc charter orientated. The thing is you know the deal when you join, its not hidden in small print. Its this management of costs that has kept Jet2 in a positive position so even though its painful for the pay check it makes sure we have a pay check.

Starbear
25th Aug 2010, 20:53
Junta Leader (and other interested parties), following figures are for Captains and correct for June 2008 (unlikely to have changed much, if at all).

SHORT SECTOR (less than
1,000 nms) £14
MEDIUM SECTOR (1,001 –
1,300 nms) £18
LONG SECTOR (more than
1,300 nms) £20
3 OR 4 SECTORS £4 per additional sectors
5 OR 6 SECTORS £8 per additional sectors

zerotohero
25th Aug 2010, 22:48
What sort of money can an F/O expect, summer and winter net

also I understand all stuff like medical, uniform etc is included unlike one or two companys ;-)

Joe Pineapples
26th Aug 2010, 02:29
That's right they give you a uniform (second hand I should add) unlike some other companies that give you an allowance to buy a new one that someone hasn't sweated their privates off in, with a higher take home pay to boot...the grass isn't always greener.

I usually agree with your posts Mr. Kong however Jet2 are attempting to make our jobs seasonal and others will follow if they succeed. The excuse that it's because Jet2 are on a knife's edge doesn't wash, this plot was hatched a good few years back when Jet2 were supposedly rolling in it and all the employees buying shares, I believe it was termed an SPY contract which was going to be offered to new cadets. Were the shareholders informed of the knife edge precariousness when they received the recent handout?

Firestorm
26th Aug 2010, 08:02
I'm sure that Jet Two doesn't exist for the sole benefit of the pilots so it is obvious tha the contracts are weighted in favour of the company and their shareholders. No one is pressuring anyone to take the job, but if it gets yo current again, and allows you to move on somewhere else, be it Emirates, Etihad or one of the agency contracts in the Far East isn't that good enough? Take it for what it's worth to you if you want to, or take one of your other options if you have any, and if they are better. Please don't get the impression that I think what they are doing is fair or right, but it is legal, and they seem to be one of very few airlines in the country that is expanding it's business if only on a seasonal basis. If they are going to use you feel free to use them: it's your choice.

757flyer
26th Aug 2010, 12:28
Good luck to all that apply, BUT go in with your eyes open!

Go in and use them as they will use you, the crews are in general a great bunch that make day to day work a pleasure, I am off to pastures new as soon as i get my start date, i know there will be alot of others on their way soon as well.

ATC83
26th Aug 2010, 15:28
Anybody got an idea when Jet2 are gonna be conducting interviews? Just curious as to how long I can expect for a reply to application.

spider_man
26th Aug 2010, 16:48
My experience of Jet2 recruitment:

-Application, online assessment, interview... no feedback yes/no despite several follow up emails/calls.
- 6 months later new recruitment announced, eventually got through to someone in HR with some help from inside to be told I had been in the hold pool for the preceeding six months.
- Invited back for 2nd interview. No news on outcome despite further chasing

Current FO with around 3,000 hours on type.

bluepilot
27th Aug 2010, 09:44
I joined jet2 a couple of years ago and have no regrets. Sure like any airline there can be improvements but as time goes on terms and conditions will get better.

I believe that 70% contracts will be offered to people as new starters, which agreed may not be ideal for some pilots, particularly those with a family. But I think as and when people are needed 100% full time contracts will be offered to those who want it. So there is a career to be had at jet2! What people have failed to realise on here is that a part time perm summer only contract does actually suit some people, 5 months off over the winter can be a great opportunity to persue other interests.

I really enjoy working here, varied flying, great crews, you could do alot worse than Jet2! Good luck.

(edited due to my poor education! SPELLING:8)

Firestorm
27th Aug 2010, 10:50
737 EFIS and 757 doth not a career airline make. It's like using a horse and cart in the age of the internal combustion engine.

That said it seems like a decent place to work, and in the kingdom of the blind the one eyed man is King!

vfrrider481
27th Aug 2010, 15:02
Already got a rejection :( Not really surprised with only 250 hours and in the current market.

Does make me wonder why there was a specific application section for "inexperienced pilots" and what a low hour pilot could possibly say or do to be particularly employable compared to both their peer group and more significantly with experienced and type rated guys. I'm wondering if it's something I have said or done wrong to be binned so early, or indeed if I had any chance despite meeting the minimum application criteria.

Never mind, good luck to all going for this.

vfrrider

CruiseControl_007
27th Aug 2010, 17:33
vfrrider481,

Sorry to hear about the rejection.

Just wondering did you get an email or phonecall?

I'm also a low hour pilot and haven't received either yet.

Thanks

San Expiry
27th Aug 2010, 22:08
Has anyone who has resubmitted an application (from last October's recruitment drive) received an acknowledgement, electronic or otherwise? My log-in and details were still in their system.

ph81ds
27th Aug 2010, 22:50
San Expiry, I re-applied this year. This time I did not get a confirmation email but I'm sure I submitted it okay.

djanello
28th Aug 2010, 00:30
I reapplied half an hour ago. Got the email confirmation already. If I wouldn't have, I'd have definitely gone and make sure that they have my info. No email is a pretty sure sign that something went wrong somewhere.

Also, It has been a little over a year since my last application.

The flying bob
28th Aug 2010, 02:07
Already got a rejection http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/sowee.gif Not really surprised with only 250 hours and in the current market.Maybe didn't you train with the right FTO.... It does make a BIG difference in such times

captkirk3000
28th Aug 2010, 15:38
Does anyone know if Jet2 would hiring foreigners with 3000+ hours and B737 Type Rating?

hollingworthp
28th Aug 2010, 17:53
They can't discriminate against you if you have legal right to live & work in Europe and hold JAA tickets.

Shrimps
31st Aug 2010, 09:14
Will Jet2 contact you regardless of the outcome? I sent my application last week and as yet haven't heard anything other than confirmation of application receipt (fully expecting a no, mind, however in the current climate even to receive a negative response is a rarity!).

cjuk28
1st Sep 2010, 11:53
I have received an invite for phone interview from them today

San Expiry
1st Sep 2010, 12:42
I emailed HR to report that I'd re-submitted the application but hadn't received and acknowledgement. I also asked if they (HR) had the application. The latter was not answered and it seemed to have been treated as an IT problem as I was told the email would be forwarded the the technical dept who would respond.:confused:

5 days later and nothing from 'tech'; I emailed the HR dept simply asking if they had my application. I was expecting a simple yea or nay reply. Instead, I've been told that all applications prior to 24 August had been removed and would I reapply. I sent in my update on 24 August and the details are still in the system.

All I want to know is whether it is there in leeds and will at least be looked at. Does anyone have a contact where I can get a rational and speedy response to what is a pretty simple question?

captkirk3000
1st Sep 2010, 14:36
Well I don't have legal rights to work in the EU but, I wanted to apply even if it meant getting a work permit. I am curious if they would be interested.

mini-jumbo
1st Sep 2010, 14:51
captkirk3000 - I'd be surprised if they'd be interested. Do you have a JAR licence? Additionally, I think you'd struggle to get a work permit in the current climate. There are many 1000's of unemployed pilots in Europe at the moment.

San Expiry - if you submitted your application before about lunchtime on the 24th, they probably didn't receive it. I sent my application in the morning of the 24th and got no acknowledgement. I then got an email telling me the application was online at 13.53 and on resubmitting, got an immediate confirmation. You would have received an instant acknowledgement from the system if it had been received. If I was you, I'd simply resubmit it. I assume you've checked your junk mail?

Ringi
1st Sep 2010, 15:46
Anybody else unable to type email address in personal information section? It's a mandatory field. I've tried it on 3 different computers!

josh7
1st Sep 2010, 17:40
i got confirmation of a phone interview today also, does anybody know what type of questions will be asked? it's said to last around half an hour. thanks in advance.

San Expiry
1st Sep 2010, 19:49
mini-jumbo

Thanks. I logged in, checked all the details and re-submitted. Nada, rien, zilch by return.

I simply don't understand why HR is unable to tell me whether or not they have the application.

Shrimps
1st Sep 2010, 19:51
Still haven't heard either way - here's hoping no news is good news and they just haven't got round to phoning me yet :hmm:

Optimism in todays aviation world - who'd have thought it?

EK4457
2nd Sep 2010, 08:17
The guys who received positive feedback;

When did you submit your application?
Was your response by phone or email?
What is your experience level?
Which scheme did you apply for?
Don't you just hate pprune interrogations?

Well done guys!

EK

zeddb
2nd Sep 2010, 09:25
Good luck to all. The online system seems to be a bit of a mess, I filled it in on the evening of the 24th. Rang HR last night and was advised to re-register with a different email address(!) and re submit the form. I did so and got a confirmation instantly..

Time will now tell. Did those invited to phone I/V get an email or a call? (I hate havingto take my mobile everywhere)

Moonwalker
2nd Sep 2010, 10:18
I got confirmation of a phone interview today also, does anybody know what type of questions will be asked? it's said to last around half an hour. thanks in advance.

Experience level? Rated, non rated? hours?

norton2005
2nd Sep 2010, 12:25
I submitted my first application on the 24th, which I got a confirmation for, now after all the emails they've been sending about having problems, I don't know whether my application is there or if it's been deleted, so I try send it again, this time with no confirmation. :ugh: No idea whats happening!!! maybe I should just call them and ask them if they have it or not!

maxalphaboy
2nd Sep 2010, 12:49
I submitted mine on the 25th had an email confirmation, I am not concerned its still very early days!

MAB :ok:

sentosa1942
2nd Sep 2010, 12:56
Hi,

I have a telephone interview next week, and I was wondering whether anyone knows the format and can advise me in order to help prepare.

Thank you :)

Top Geeza
2nd Sep 2010, 12:59
I also submitted my application last week but did not receive a confirmation email. I emailed HR to see if they had received my application and the reply was that my details had been sent to the technical team and I would hear from them shortly. I am still waiting for that email. I decided to re-submit my application this morning however, their login system does not recognise my email address.

I contacted HR this morning, they have not received my application and have lost all my details on their database. They said that they are currently having IT problems and they have lost numerous applicant details. They have asked me to re-register and complete another application. I think I will give this one a miss and stay where I am.

norton2005
2nd Sep 2010, 13:00
Can I ask when you submitted your application? Mine was submitted on the afternoon of the 24th and unsure if it's actually with them or not.

Top Geeza
2nd Sep 2010, 14:25
I submitted my application on the 25th August. I tried numerous times even from different computers. It might be worth giving them a call to see if you are in the system.

zeddb
2nd Sep 2010, 14:36
Latest from J2 (called them this morning)

If you have a confirmation email then you are in the system. If you don't then your details are most likely floating around in the electronic wilderness. Probably best to try again.

Hope this helps.

Maraengen
2nd Sep 2010, 15:24
Hey guys,

I was just wondering if any of you have had problems with attaching the optional CV in the application system. I attached one that I later wanted to replace with another version, without being able to delete the first one. I now have two CV's on there which I find quite undesirable..

Anyone having the same issue?

LowFareFinder
2nd Sep 2010, 16:47
Here are some handy hints on getting into Jet2:

- tell them you live near one of their bases
- if you can't do that, inform them of a relative who does live near the bases, uncle, auntie, granny etc.
- BFS and EDI were a bit short this year so if you live close by, super! EDI has virtually all its current staff in the interview process for another airline, so they'll be super short come the end of the year.
- remind them that you already have a big tub of vaseline and are fully ready for insertion of multiple implements
- provide genetic evidence that your ancestors worked in the cotton-mill industry in yorkshire in times gone by.

monkeynutz
2nd Sep 2010, 18:56
Just to add my 10 pence worth;

From the rumors going around, and they are only rumors, 'management' have struck a deal with OAT for some cadets , so anyone without commercial prop/jet experience is going to struggle.

I can't see the company paying to type rate anybody as it's all about the bottom line, so anyone applying without a current type rating you either don't stand a chance or will be asked to self fund the type course.

Those of you with a current type rating for the 75 or 73 get ready to be offered top of the line T&C's on a full-time contract!!!

Just feel for the guys on the current 70% contract who want to stay on and work, how's it going to work with the new joiners, are they going to be offered full time contracts over the guys stuck on the 70%.

Can see that this is going to get messy, what a massive surprise!!!

In all seriousness though, good luck to all who apply, just go into it with your eyes wide open, don't let them screw you over and apply all the good tips from LFF and you'll do just fine....

captkirk3000
2nd Sep 2010, 19:25
mini-jumbo
Thanks for the info. I had a feeling that would be the case!

Penworth
2nd Sep 2010, 19:47
Just feel for the guys on the current 70% contract who want to stay on and work, how's it going to work with the new joiners, are they going to be offered full time contracts over the guys stuck on the 70%.

What reason would the company have for offering a full time contract to guys on the outside when they have a known quantity, ie the guys who have toiled this summer on the 70% contract and want to be made full time already in the company, current on type, familiar with Jet2 SOP's and with a training record within the company?

The cadets from Oxford aside, who I understand will be bonded, it doesn't seem to make any sense financially, which at the end of the day is the perspective the company will be looking at it from.

monkeynutz
2nd Sep 2010, 19:58
What reason would the company have for offering a full time contract to guys on the outside when they have a known quantity, ie the guys who have toiled this summer on the 70% contract and want to be made full time already in the company, current on type, familiar with Jet2 SOP's and with a training record within the company?

Well the only thing I can think of is cash! They need more crews for next year so have to start training within the next few months to have crews ready for next years summer schedule, unlike this years total fiasco!!

So why would the company keep the guys on over the winter and pay them when they don't have to!

Back to my original question what contract are the new joiners going to be offered. They will be training over the winter, therefore will not be on a 70% contract, only two options I can see, a full-time contract or a 70% contract starting the following Nov!

Again only my wild speculative opinion....

Monkeynutz out....

cap.pulitov
2nd Sep 2010, 22:18
EDI will be short or are short of crews..please elaborate with facts. Not many Jet job opportunities with decent pay in Scotland..(I don't consider Ryanair good pay..) Many will apply to Emirates/Etihad etc. but can't see EDI being any different than any other base for Jet2..???

Boeing 77W
2nd Sep 2010, 23:31
The deal with OAA to source all future cadets from them was signed quite some time ago, I believe last year. I was told by OAA yesterday that Jet2 haven't approached them asking for recommendations etc. so not sure what's happening there...

binsleepen
2nd Sep 2010, 23:55
Friend of mine with lowish hours, no jet and little ME time has already had a phone interview that lasted about 15 mins from a training captain. He does have a reasonable amount of instructional time though.

regards

josh7
3rd Sep 2010, 08:19
I have a phone interview in about an hour with one of the captains, I finished Cabair recently and have just over 200 hours. I presume they will be asking for some dosh in order for the type rating though. Only one way to find out!

Crosswind Limit
3rd Sep 2010, 08:29
I believe it is low hour pilots ie. not had an airline job yet, who are being called at the moment because they would require the most time to train. What deal they might be offered I don't know. I've heard it said that it helps if you live where jet2 has bases.

punk666
3rd Sep 2010, 08:59
What sort of questions are being asked ?

Cactus99
3rd Sep 2010, 09:12
Unbelieveable, the amount of experience out there looking for jobs and they're interviewing 200 hours guys!!

No disrespect to you, but in the current climate I find that hard to swallow.

A340rider
3rd Sep 2010, 09:41
must be a method to there madness...££££££...probably skiming a few sheckles of the SSTR....copy O'Learey...why else would they...kindness of there hearts???..lets give the poor buggars a chance haha no such chance..bleeding airline have no hearts all just monies, business!!

MrHorgy
3rd Sep 2010, 09:56
Why is it so strange to be interviewing low hour cadets as well as more experienced candidates? Any airline needs a range of experience levels both for command upgrades and to raise in the jet2 mold. Are you privy to their recruitment requirements? If not you can't be sure how many people are experienced and how many are low houred.

Horgy

click
3rd Sep 2010, 10:11
Reasonable answer....but about 5 years out of date. In today's market, why would anybody even think of considering a 200h wonder for an AIRLINE operation. Either everyone here in Europe is smoking crack and I am not getting any or there's something in the water.

josh7
3rd Sep 2010, 10:16
they basically just asked a few questions like why do you want to work for us? what will you bring to the company etc and what pay do you expect.. there's an assessment day in the near future that i presume will be more thorough. don't know if the phone screening is the same for low houred as it is for experienced guys. just keeping my fingers crossed for now that they want me for the assessment!

Phenom100
3rd Sep 2010, 10:35
Where are the 757s based?

bluepilot
3rd Sep 2010, 10:38
Quote:
"Just feel for the guys on the current 70% contract who want to stay on and work, how's it going to work with the new joiners, are they going to be offered full time contracts over the guys stuck on the 70%. "

I dont think this is the case, I think they will be interviewing / training cadets first, they take the longest time to train PLUS they will be paying for their type rating and not employed until they finish the course, they will then probably start their employment once qualified on a 70% contract next year.

Floppy Link
3rd Sep 2010, 11:11
Phenom - 757 bases

MAN, LBA, NCL and possibly BFS (summer)

Could be wrong, somebody more close to the action may be along to correct me.

retrosgone
3rd Sep 2010, 11:25
Quote:- EDI has virtually all its current staff in the interview process for another airline, so they'll be super short come the end of the year".

Now that's what I call a sweeping statement!! There are indeed people in Edinburgh on the move or thinking about it - and you can't blame those on 70% contracts or with vague offers of employment next summer for wanting full time posts where they can find them. Among the full time crews at EDI, there is not much sign of movement at all (one leaving later this year). There will be vacancies though - more work expected next year and a relatively busy winter ahead.

monkeynutz
3rd Sep 2010, 11:31
Phenom,

Yep 757 based at LBA,NCL,MAN and EMA at the moment with another 75 going to EMA for next summer. Rumor has it another 75 is making its way up north too, the talk on the town at the moment is either EDI or NCL!

If the company are going to take cadets one of the positives as far as the company goes would be to bond them in for 3 years, which is the current time span the company adopts. Think this is one of the problems facing the company at the moment as most of the sponsored guys they took from CTC have finished there bond, hence a load of guys buggering off to the sandpit. I guess the company will want a certain amount of security for the next couple of years with regards to crewing levels and bonding would be one way to achieve this.

Guys who have joined the company with a type rating already in hand only get bonded for a year!

Interesting that they are asking what you expect to get payed! At the moment there seems to be quite a bit of discontent about pay and our general T&C's here, mind you there always is I guess, no matter where you work!

oh and by the way, we are currently going through a statuary recognition process with BALPA, hopefully in the long run this might help us all...fingers crossed heh....:hmm:

fastjet45
3rd Sep 2010, 12:14
Filled in application Monday 30th, checked it again and sent it in Tuesday, phone call yesterday, telephone interview done today the system works perfectly.

Good luck to all those who have applied :ok:

KingDingaling
3rd Sep 2010, 12:27
Hi chaps,

Could anyone enlighten me as to whether days off are fixed once rostered or can they be changed after the roster has been published? Is it generally random days on and off or is there a tendancy for larger blocks of working days followed by larger blocks of days off, albeit not necessarily in any pattern?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

KD :ok:

Eurocargo
3rd Sep 2010, 13:55
Filled in application Monday 30th, checked it again and sent it in Tuesday, phone call yesterday, telephone interview done today the system works perfectly.

Good luck to you!
Can you please say what experience you have?
:ok:

Floppy Link
3rd Sep 2010, 14:02
...and are you 737 or 757 rated fastjet45?
Good luck!

monkeynutz
3rd Sep 2010, 14:03
KingDingaling,

You can request three Requested Days Off (RDO's) per month which once granted can not be changed as are any rostered days off once the roster is published. The roster is totally random comes out approx three weeks in advance and generally quite a lot of standby's, which of course they can either change to duty days before hand or obviously just call you out on.

This summer season haven't had too many changes or stand-by call outs but that is due to us being severely under-crewed this summer and being on max hours for the entire summer period.

fastjet45
3rd Sep 2010, 14:37
...and are you 737 or 757 rated fastjet45?
Good luck!

Good luck to you!
Can you please say what experience you have?

No not rated but plenty of jet time.

monkeynutz
3rd Sep 2010, 15:33
NM,

Totally agree, I was not insinuating that Rostering or Crewing were in anyway out to screw us, but as you said they are under pressure from above and as we have seen this summer, things have been fairly difficult out on the front line due to crewing levels and at the end of the day they can only plan and execute with the resources they have at there disposal.

However, things like early to lates with min rest on max hours has been occurring with a far greater regularity this summer. End result, pissed off, over worked and knackered (but NOT fatigued!:=) crew:{ ..dare I suggest underpaid too:ooh:

KingDingaling
3rd Sep 2010, 15:59
Monkeynutz thanks for the reply - very useful.

monkeynutz
3rd Sep 2010, 16:05
No worries :ok:

monkeynutz
3rd Sep 2010, 17:05
But i assume that Jet 2 will pay for experienced FO's type training costs??

wouldn't hold your breath...

wingbar
3rd Sep 2010, 17:28
Hi guys,

Applied on the 24th of August, as did quite a few.
I was wondering if any non-rated Experienced Jet time F/o here were called yet for telephone interview?

It seems to be mostly low hour guys getting the call.
Still waiting for the call, any of you lot in the same boat?

My present experience is around 3000TT and 2500 ERJ 145 jet.

Any info appreciated!

WB

cjuk28
3rd Sep 2010, 18:51
online form on 25th got email reply.
Telephoned on 31st to say interview on 1st
got call today for assesment next Friday.
Seems to work fine for me??
However the form online stuff was a nightmare, maybe part of the selection.

mona lot
3rd Sep 2010, 19:46
Who is going to apply to Jet 2 with their appalling terms and conditions apart from your 200 hour wonder cadets? Anyone with a little experience and some common sense is heading East:ugh:

This is just Jet 2 testing the water yet again to see how many muppets there are out there.

tellyavib
3rd Sep 2010, 20:46
Take this recruitment for what it is, a potential job. Enjoy the process and see what it turns up for you. We're a happy bunch when not messed about by management, the crews at all the bases are great. There's the odd company Nob who kisses butt but we all know who they are and laugh at them with little mercy!

My only advise is:-

Apply, be assessed, be interviewed and do the sim but DO NOT sign up for anything contractual rashly, see which of the other better paid, equipped operators are going to recruit and then apply to them as the market is going to be bouyant and you may get the job you really want, as a poster has already stated 'many are heading east'!!!.

I'm of the opinion that Jet2 are either doing a tree shake to see who on the market or have plans for expansion and are keen to sign up by contract the best of whats out there at a cheap rate on a crap contract.

That of course unless your keen to live at Manchester or Leeds!!!

monkeynutz
3rd Sep 2010, 20:57
mona lot, NM and tellyavib,

Spot on....

nachogonzales
3rd Sep 2010, 21:14
sure thing, same old same old. three years running this has been going on

tellyavib
3rd Sep 2010, 21:22
Whats been going on three year years running?

Dan 98
4th Sep 2010, 06:08
Tellyavib:

I think that post is probably spot on to be honest, Jet2 are pre-empting what a lot of other carriers are going have to do (ie.RECRUIT) and just getting in early to see who bites.

I think it would be a little hasty to sign up to any crap contract if successful before seeing what else is on offer later in the year especially if you have experience etc...They'll soon improve it if enough don't sign up!!!

I applied on the 24th, got a conformation so presume all ok, have heard nothing since, TR on 737 with 1600+hrs. It appears they are contacting low hours or Non - TR at this point or maybe i haven't even made it through the paper sift, who knows..!

Good luck to all.

tomrosie
4th Sep 2010, 07:48
Dan 98
I also applied 24th, got a response and had the telephone interview Friday. TR on 757, 10,000+ hours so not just low houred guys getting the call. However, dismayed to learn that only the 70% contract is on the table. Hopefully, as you say, there won't be any experienced takers and they'll have to improve. I worked it out that I'd be taking home about £1,000 a month less than what I was earning 10 years ago. It's ok only working 7 months a year but I have a 12 month a year mortgage to pay, I hope they get a poor uptake if only for the industry's sake.

Dan 98
4th Sep 2010, 09:31
Tomrosie,

Interesting to hear,maybe i haven't made the paper sift or don't have enough hours for a TR FO, early days though i guess. I expect with your hours and being 757 rated is more attractive maybe than 733 too.

The very fact that they are even asking would you be happy to accept a 70% contract and what would be an acceptable salary confirms they are testing the water and that they know what they are currently offering is sh*t!!:E

I am currently on a contract that is due to end 30th of October, if Jet2 is 70% and they even offer me an interview I may as well just go back to my current employer next spring, better the devil you know!!

Lets hope things improve, for everybodies sake as i think most have 12 month mortgages, i know i do.....Think i'll be dusting down my HGV licence for the winter!:\

Cheers

bountyhunter
4th Sep 2010, 09:37
Does anyone know what salary they'd be offering new type rated FOs?

Mintflavour
4th Sep 2010, 15:08
So what is the going rate for a full time FO at Jet2????
Can someone give an indication then I will know what to say if Im asked about expected salary. I don't want to undercut myself.

cheers

mint

Crosswind Limit
4th Sep 2010, 18:40
Full time type rated FO: 42K.
Full time type rated Captain: 67K.
No payscale.
No type rating: expect to have to pay for type rating upfront. Going rates were 20K for 737, 17K for 757.
Expect a lower probationary salary for 6 months (FO: 36K, Captain: 61K).
There is also minor duty pay and variable sector pay.
If you ask me, FO pay is average and Captain pay is low.

169west
4th Sep 2010, 19:54
thanks Xwind, good post!

witttonless
4th Sep 2010, 22:14
As a result of the policies that Tony initiated. Jet2 have been relegated to the floor. In this economic enviroment nobody will commit. What's worse is he's back rubbing salt into the wound

Mintflavour
4th Sep 2010, 22:56
Thanks Crosswind exactly what Im looking for.
So how long can one expect to be on a 70% contract before given perm 100% contract?

Are you still effectively a Jet2 employee during the 30% of the year your not working? (understand its 7 months on and 5 off)

How is the salary paid, 7 months worth spread over 12?

Roughly how much per month does duty/sector pay add up to on average?

I think the first 6 months on 70% of 36K is very harsh and to be honest that would put a big strain on my financials, and if I was required to locate then I simply can't afford it. bugger:ugh:

mint

DADDY-OH!
5th Sep 2010, 09:23
On the 70% deal Captain's take home around £2800/month & F/O's £1800/month during the Winter & about £350-£450/month more during the Summer. But I would also like to point out a couple of other relevant points to would be applicants that they should consider.

1) Don't rule out a 'Pay to Fly' scheme similar to EZY & a few others.

2) If your application is successful, DON'T post anything on Facebook or other Social Networking sites if you think the offer is 'crap' as you may get a 'Sorry, we don't want you. Here's a cheque in lieu of notice' letter as one poor sod found out earlier this year.

3) The 70% deal is for 7 months service during the peak season (April-Oct) with 5 months off during the lull (Nov-March) thereby shafting your chances of getting contract work as usual minimum terms are 6 month requirements.

4) You'll be flying antiquated B737-300's or B757's, maybe you should consider a more modern type, B737NG or Airbus.

5) Don't expect to make a career from the company if you're coming as an F/O. The newly elected, 'Ferrari driving' Head of the Crew Council who is responsible for negotiating Pay & other terms & conditions holds F/O's in such low regard, he said to a new F/O & Trainer on an aircraft handover, F/O's should be paid less as they are a transitory species!!!!

If you are one of the fortunate ones to receive an 'allowance from Mummy & Daddy' or have no Training debts to repay or have no mortgage & family to support then consider Jet2. However if you are one of the rest, look elsewhere. It's a great working atmosphere with excellent Trainers & fantastic Op's, Crewers, Rosterers & Engineers but that don't pay the bills.

Good luck whatever & wherever you choose.

DooblerChina
5th Sep 2010, 10:48
its a terrible deal. £1800 per month! You've gotta be desperate to take that.

Firestorm
5th Sep 2010, 11:27
I think I used to pay almost that much in tax and stoppages in my last job on a 733! It isn't a good deal, but if it get's you through until some better deals come round then all well and good. It's better than the £60 a week or so of job seekers allowance.

Remember that the 733 and the 757 are dead types. Boeing no longer produces them, and many airlines are chopping in old variants for newer as reporting in Flight's Global Airline Census a few weeks ago. A 73 NG rating is worth having with hours in the air too, but 733 experience is not in demand these days. If you have to pay for it Ryan Air might be a better place to spend it!

Turkish777
5th Sep 2010, 16:31
I dont think its so bad considering the way things are....70% is better than 0% which im getting now

Moonwalker
5th Sep 2010, 18:56
I dont think its so bad considering the way things are....70% is better than 0% which im getting now

Yes, it's better to earn money than nothing at all, BUT, that's not what's discussed here. You can't use that as an argument to this discussion as it's a different topic.

MW

Turkish777
5th Sep 2010, 19:12
Theres several diiferent discussions on here if you care to read through all the posts and I wasnt arguing like most people tend do on here I was stating a fact and my opinion if that ok with you.

windshear-a-head
5th Sep 2010, 19:30
Wow - £1800 a month for an FO :yuk:! Aviation in the UK is going down-hill fast, about time 2 fingers were stuck up to these employers.

Praying on the desperate...:=

If/when BA open their doors next April I hope these airlines are left high and dry. :ok:

RHINO
5th Sep 2010, 19:41
Firestorm got it right....if you have decided to pay for the job (or M & D want you out the house yesterday) ...get something useful on your licence.

mona lot
5th Sep 2010, 20:06
Aviation in the UK is going down-hill fast

Too right, aviation in the UK is finished if your a pilot! Come to the ME. My Philippine house maid earns more than some pilots in the UK.:D

Starbear
5th Sep 2010, 20:47
So what would be too bad then? Even if out of work, what is the lower limit? This money is crap for this job and is not defensible. Do you genuinely not understand that statements like yours are exactly what these excuses for management feed upon?

The following figures are for a large and well known UK charter company, who operate within the same market and economy.

Year, Captain, Senior First Officer, First Officer
1 £78,035 £49,381 £38,038

(sorry can't seem to maintain formatting)

Now whilst they may not be achievable for everyone right now, they are at least what one should be aspiring to.

Jet2 not only want to pay at the very lowest end they want to pay £6000 less during probation and want to bond even type rated guys for what is mandatory training under JAR. Probation was always a period of "settling in" which allowed either side to give shorter than normal notice to terminate employement. Nothing whatever to do with paying less salary for the same job (unless you need a trainer to accompany you for the whole 6 months online which would be a tad unusual). It is just one more scam to claw back a few quid for them.

They are scum (the management, in case of doubt) and if anyone needs to join them due to no work at all, then of course that is understandable and their right, but for God's sake don't justify it by saying its not too bad.

DjerbaDevil
6th Sep 2010, 01:26
Last year's recruitment:

No one knows what is in store for this year's recruits and as the advert is for any pilot, so long as he has an fATPL, the T&Cs could be of any combination imaginable.

Last year's recruitment drive specified type rated captains and first officers with minimum hours on type. The salaries for 100% contracts were as specified by Crosswind, post 156:

Captain: £67,000 p.a. approx.
Senior First Officer: £44,000 p.a. approx. (only after 2 years' service in JET2)
First Officer: £41,064 per annum

Compared to the salaries quoted by Starbear's post 171, then, the captains' salaries are lowish, as also the senior first officers', but the first officers' salaries are OK.

Last year the contract of employment offered was for working 7 months of the year, "summer season", and a "rest period" of 5 months. The salary offer for this contract was 70% of the salaries quoted above. So taking the first officer salary as an example, 70% of 41,064 pounds is equivalent to £28,744 per annum, which is paid over 12 months of the year, which equals £2,395 per month. Apart from the foregoing and during the summer working period and as stated by DADDY-HO in post 161, there are another £350-£450 approximately per month to be taken home for sector pay etc.

The ground training period, which lasts approximately 2 weeks did NOT fall within the Work Period (01 April-31 October), as specified above and took place in March during 2 weeks and was paid at 50% of the full time annual salary.
The bond for the ground training was for £6,000 but if you shared the SIM with another pilot it was reduced to £4,500 and the bond is for a period of 2 years.

The full 70% salary was paid with effect from the start of the work period on 1 April. After successfully completing the line training, which included 6 flights, 12 sectors in total and a final check on the 7th flight, there was a probationary period of two months, where JET2 or the employee could give each other one week's notice to quit. The normal 70% salary (£2,395 per month) was also paid during this period.

Comments:

Bonding for the ground training is a bit cheeky but not unheard of in other companies. Normally it is for a lesser amount and for a period of 6 months but there are variations.
JET2 almost close down in the winter months. They purchase outright older aircraft, which are cheaper and can store them in the winter without having to pay leasing costs. The company is seriously profitable.
The employment contract is for 12 months of the year, so that the pilot's National Insurance is paid throughout the year.
Working 7 months of the year is equivalent to working 58.333% of the year. So getting paid 70% of your annual salary for working 58.33% of the year gives you the advantage of 11.67%. This is not an unreasonable advantage since you have earned your money in the summer and getting it spread out over the year but it is still better than putting it into the bank to earn interest. There is the amount of flying hours over the summer 7 months to be considered, as well.
The winter 'rest period' is not yours to do as you wish. Whatever employment you wish to undertake must be approved by JET2 in writing. Of course you ARE still employed by JET2 during your rest period, so you HAVE TO refer back to JET2 for whatever you want to do during "your" rest period. Stating specific limitations on possible employers and activities in the employment contract would be by far a fairer and more reasonable proposition.
JET2 reserve the right to call on you to return to work, whenever they choose during your rest period. Again giving specific conditions to be met by JET2 would be by far a fairer and more reasonable proposition.

There are numerous arguments for and against the above contract but the best solution is to convert all 70% employment contracts into full time employment as soon as possible.

If last year there were type rated experienced pilots in the UK to be recruited on 70% contracts, this year the situation is changing substantially on a daily basis and by next year JET2 will probably need to make important changes to pilots' T&Cs to keep flying. The company is also introducing more and more destinations, which means more and more flying......

Dan 98
6th Sep 2010, 07:29
Couldn't agree with you more Starbear!!

Jet2 are obviously relying are desperate individuals, the more i hear i wish i hadn't wasted the time applying now as my answer to 70% would be NO and as a TR FO on the 737 my answer to a 2 year bond would be :mad:off!!

The position of FO is becoming more and more devalued everyday and until we stop accepting being shafted it will continue, they can't fly without us remember:ok:

Now is the time to say NO as the market is set to improve, if the company is seriously profitable as quoted by DjerbaDevil then I am sure they can find room for improvement if everyone says NO.......................

Personally I think the reason they are recruiting early is to get people on crap T&C's before the market improves.....

stansdead
6th Sep 2010, 07:55
Sorry, can someone point me to the actual evidence of an improving job market in the UK please?

I can't see any improvement. Who else is recruiting?

Or, are we just "talking to make ourselves feel better"?

The economy is moribund. A double dip recession may be upon us. 600,000 well paid, previously secure public sector jobs are to be cut (sone of those people will never work again) and house prices are dropping again.

Feel good? Not to me.

Dan 98
6th Sep 2010, 08:30
BA and Virgin are set to recruit in the first part of next year so the rumour goes, the company I am currently on a contract with (small lo/co) will have to do some recruitment next year, Flybe are rumoured to be short as our Easyjet. EK have more roadshows this month which will surely lure more away to the sand over the winter thereby helping the UK market.

I agree i don't think there will be an explosive recovery, far from it I said an improving market which i think it will be over the next 6 months or so.

I can't see Jet2 being the only UK operator who needs to recruit in the next 6 months, if they are then i like many others, am in BIG TROUBLE!!!!:eek:

fastjet45
6th Sep 2010, 09:17
Has anyone got positive confirmation yet as to what packages they are offering? they seem reluctant to say on the phone also vague about interview structure other than it will be a full day affair :ooh:

DjerbaDevil
6th Sep 2010, 09:52
My bet is that no one at JET2 knows what packages are on offer, as the variables are too many and no decision has yet been taken, as they don't know what experience is available in the job market and exactly how they propose to target the recruitment.
See my earlier post on last year's recruitment drive for experienced type rated pilots and the package offered and work backwards or forwards according to your experience/abilities etc.
The telephone interview was partly to decide whether you were a likely candidate for employment, so that any money spent on you on a further interview, would not necessarily be wasted.

angelorange
6th Sep 2010, 22:05
If contract is for 70% then bond should reflect that - either by lowering notice/bond period and or amount for bond/TRSS.

Evidence of bond/TRSS amounts already exist for full time contracts. Reduced income contracts with tie in over 30% time should benefit from previous custom and practice.

M0.76
7th Sep 2010, 08:02
Has anyone had a call for the assessment day following telephone interviews last week?

JStone
7th Sep 2010, 12:15
Hi All,

Has anyone who has applied for B737 FO positions recieved any form of rejection notification yet, hav'ent heard anything from them and just trying to find out if this is bad news...

Cheers

San Expiry
7th Sep 2010, 12:47
Hi All,

Has anyone who has applied for B737 DEC no TR positions recieved any form of rejection notification yet, hav'ent heard anything from them and just trying to find out if this is bad news...

Cheers

DADDY-OH!
7th Sep 2010, 13:00
They are interviewing today & apparently offering 70% contracts & bonding for type ratings but also asking if candidates are prepared to accept 70% contracts & self fund type ratings. The 70% offer appears to be standard & realistically becomes dramatically less than 70% of a Captains/SFO's/FO's salary as the majority of crews are on annual increments in addition to any pay award.

With the board saying "No more money for salaries" they are contractually obligated to honour the fortunates with 'annual increments' as part of their contracts. So the ones at the top get more & more & the new joiners get less & less of a finite pot. I guess it's a case of take what they offer & hope for improvement.

There seem to be plenty of interviewees though with only a few leavers to date.

TerraFerma
7th Sep 2010, 13:32
Is it just me, or have some posts been deleted from this thread?

Anyway, my real reason for posting; has any 737 TR'd pilot had any kind of response, positive or negative?

I can see from earlier posts that Jet2 appear to be favouring fresh ATPLf's just now, but it would be a pity if local 737 guys didn't get a chance. All that experience and no relocation problems....

While acknowledging that 70% contracts aren't ideal, my personal circumstances just now are such that Jet2's contract is ideal, and I'd like to work there - seems friendly enough

;)

M0.76
7th Sep 2010, 13:49
I was interviewed last week and had no response yet.

Seems from daddy-oh there are interviews today...

Anyone else had any news from last weeks telephone interviews?

EK4457
7th Sep 2010, 13:53
TF, if you look at those who have had a telephone call, lots (most?) of them have experience of the line in some way or another.

I personally have 500TT (instructor) and have had no reply. No idea if this is good or not!

We wait and see......

EK

TerraFerma
7th Sep 2010, 14:05
Thanks M & EK,

I read Daddy's post (useful info!) and from that deduced that Jet2 are (currently/immediately/first-instance) looking for people they can send of on a TR, financed by self-sponsor or bonding.

I have 500+ hours on type, and I know several former colleagues with similar backgrounds applied also... nothing for any of us.

Still, we live in hope.

binsleepen
7th Sep 2010, 16:16
Hi,

I have just had the call setting up a 20 min phone interview tomorrow. I'm ex military with 3000hrs + mostly on 4 engine heavy jet with 650 capt, but no civil type rating. I applied for the 757 but would obviously accept either type.

Two colleages at work have both passed the phone interview and are going to the assessment day on Friday. They are both flying instructors with around 1000 hrs almost all single piston.

Regards and good luck to all

John Alcock
7th Sep 2010, 16:30
binsleepen,

Can I ask when your colleagues had their telephone interviews, or more particularly, how long was it between their telephone interview and receiving an invitation to assessment?

Thanks

169west
7th Sep 2010, 16:42
binsleepen

VC10 from Brize?

Go Smoke
7th Sep 2010, 17:00
Just had the thanks, but no thanks email from them.
Flying instructor....1500TT of which 300 Multi plus single pilot ops on light twin AOC.
Age - early 40's

Junta Leader
7th Sep 2010, 17:09
Go Smoke,
Just had the thanks, but no thanks email from them.
Sorry to hear that; would you mind sharing your experience ie how far had you got? Paper sift, telephone interview etc?...

ian andrews
7th Sep 2010, 17:33
Just had an email. Thanks but no thanks. 900hrs TT 500hrs on light jet. Also been a flying instructor in the past

Mintflavour
7th Sep 2010, 18:47
Those of you with the No thanks
Did you say that you were happy to except the 70% contract?

binsleepen
7th Sep 2010, 18:56
169W
Now that would be telling. :=

JA.
I believe that they had their telephone interview at the end of last week and were rung yesterday to confirm their availability for Friday.

Regards

169west
7th Sep 2010, 19:00
bisleepen
sorry first round on me!

ian andrews
7th Sep 2010, 21:17
Mintflavour

I didn't get the telephone call

Dan 98
8th Sep 2010, 06:07
TerraFerma

I am TR on the 737 with 1600+hrs, i have not recieved any news + or - only a confirmation email of my original application. As you say it would appear they are targeting either low hours or experienced Non-TR at the moment, they'll make more money that way!!!:sad:

Cheers

Johnny F@rt Pants
8th Sep 2010, 06:55
They'll make more money that way

Maybe it's that non type rated joiners will take considerably longer to get on line than those with a type rating. Therefore non type rated joiners will be recruited first to start their way through the system, those with type ratings can start later in the winter and still be on line ready for the peak summer flying season.

Finals19
8th Sep 2010, 07:29
Chaps, am I missing something here...

They state for direct entry FO:

A minimum of 1,000 flying hours, of which 500 hours must be medium military or commercial flying on rotary or fixed wing turboprop or turbo jet aircraft

Yet guys are applying with piston time only? Has the above requirement been revised?

Go Smoke
8th Sep 2010, 07:29
Sorry to hear that; would you mind sharing your experience ie how far had you got? Paper sift, telephone interview etc?...

JL

First round I'm afraid. No telephone interview.

binsleepen
8th Sep 2010, 07:54
Finals19

If you look on the Jet2 website they are recruiting 5 categories of plilot including "Inexperienced co-pilots"

To be considered for this role you must have:
Written & verbal fluency in English to level 6
A frozen ATPL
MCC
Jet orientation course
A valid Class One Medical
A valid passport with no restrictions
The right to live and work in the EU without restrictionRegards

Firestorm
8th Sep 2010, 08:36
Apply and be damned CV. I would expect that they mean a Dash 8 or ATR sort of turbo prop, but they might not, and they might really be looking for a level of automation that traditionally didn't exist in lighter turbo-props, but now exits in VLJs the size of a small family car. Put your application in, and let someone else decide how to proceed.

Junta Leader
8th Sep 2010, 08:36
I can never decide which category I belong in.

PM me if you need a number for HR so you can ask!!!

captgeorgekajo
8th Sep 2010, 11:13
Following on from the terms and conditions above relating to the 70% deal, does anyboody have an idea on the total flying hours that we could expect during those 7 months?

Are Jet2 planning to use up the 900 hours in that period of time? In which case, we couldn't get another contract job anyway...?!?

Thanks
George

Penworth
8th Sep 2010, 11:26
Based on this summer, didn't really start flying properly until May, hence only 6 months, done about 75 hours per month, so about 450 hours, so to answer your question, no they're not.

SUPER HANS
8th Sep 2010, 11:28
captgeorgekajo

How could you do 900 hours in seven months? the limit is 100 in 28 days.

Oscar84
8th Sep 2010, 11:38
Good morning to everybody.I want to ask you, How much time did you wait until you received some information or the phone call from the HR department?I just applied around 2 weeks ago, but still nothing from them.Only the email from the website telling me that my application was sent.Can somebody tell me something new?Thank's a lot Best regards

captgeorgekajo
8th Sep 2010, 12:36
thanks for the info Hans. i didn't know that.

Is anyone on the 70% contract now that can let us know how many hours you do?

Northern Highflyer
8th Sep 2010, 13:17
To all those low hour bods that have received a telephone interview, do you all have a JOC as stated in the requirements or has anyone had a call without one ?

fastjet45
8th Sep 2010, 13:36
Hello all

Had the phone interview all ok, next interview for non type rated direct entry Captain 757 booked for this Friday.

I cancelled it as they wont give out much info over the phone other than it will most probably be for a 70% contract and you pay for the type rating. :=

Sorry but not that desperate.

Hours 10000+

Junta Leader
8th Sep 2010, 13:42
...most probably be for a 70% contract and you pay for the type rating.

Hmmmm. I know this is a rumour network but folks seem to have different ideas about the pay for TR or the possibility of a bond.

Can't really afford to live on 70% myself but would still go for interview on the off chance that something happens and the full-time one got offered. Other vague rumours about BA maybe starting up sooner than expected on these forums too...(not wishing to stir things up too much)...

fade to grey
8th Sep 2010, 13:49
seems they favour ex-mil with TR or not, is the brass at J2 ex mil ?

San Expiry
8th Sep 2010, 15:03
Well, I hope it wasn't my phone manner that brought the selection process to a grinding halt at the phone interview stage but rather a couple of the questions I replied 'no' to which were........no, I would not relocate my family (to wherever) and no, I would not pay for a type rating (plus a 'rather not' when the 70% was mentioned although apparently, the whole contract package on offer hasn't been finalised yet, it says here).

So, as an earlier poster suggested, live in a Jet2 backyard and express your willingness to shell out for a TR. I had rather hoped that jet2 might just have raised its game above the levels of the other LCCs.

I'd be interested to know whether any who said 'no' to paying for the rating are going on to the face-to-face bit. BTW, email saying 'no thanks' was launched within minutes of coming off the phone - I was that good:*.

Of course, if everyone said 'no' to the TR then they'd have to rethink the gameplan. I don't say this from the luxury of being in a job; longish time unemployed, now.

tunawholesalers
8th Sep 2010, 15:22
Well done San Expiry.....i admire your strong will!!!

VIRGA
8th Sep 2010, 15:41
Fantastic Job San Expiry. You stand above, way above many others....

binsleepen
8th Sep 2010, 15:43
They asked at the phone interview if I would consider paying for the TR and if I would consider a 70% contract. In both cases I said yes I would consider them, but in the light of the package as a whole. I did say that 70% of £40 k is only £28 k and if they asked for for £20 k for the type rating that would leave me only £8 k for the year to live on. I haven't received a rejection letter yet though.

They also asked if I had any applications progressing with other airlines.

Regards and good luck

Spikedog
8th Sep 2010, 16:16
The sad truth is that Jet2 are going to be offering sh*t 70% contracts and expecting you to pay for your Type Rating too.

I am pleased people are saying no, but I also (sadly) expect people will say yes. Hopefully not enough people though, because we really need to see an increase in salary, etc, not a decrease.

There are a lot of people looking to get out of Jet2 because all that has happened over the last few years is a reduction in Ts&Cs and this latest joke of an offer for new people is the next rung down on the sh*tty ladder.

Yes, it's great if you are on a 100% contract, with annual increments and live around the corner from the airport, but how many people does this now relate to? Not many.

Spike

No Country Members
8th Sep 2010, 17:10
They also asked if I had any applications progressing with other airlines.

This combined with the multiple reports of candidates being asked if they will accept poor terms and conditions (70% salary and working plus pay (quote) £20,000 for type rating), would lead me to support the theory that as much as anything else, Jet2 management are trying to get a feel for the current market.

I suppose previously they would simply think that it is an employer's market, but now that the Middle East recruitment appears to have changed the conditions of that market, they are trying to find out by how much, which is good. Encouraging to see plenty of naysayers above, which proves the market for employees is becoming better than it was.

max_continuous
8th Sep 2010, 22:45
Hi folks,

Can anyone give an indication as to how many, if any at all, hours are flown by pilots during winter months?

Do the guys on 70% get used at all or are you dormant while the smaller number of 100% contracts cover the work?

Thanks.

Spikedog
9th Sep 2010, 07:38
Yes max continuous, 70% means 5 months off over the winter to sit at home bored. You'll probably have to do your annual ground school refresher and 6 monthly sim during that time, making it harder to get a fill in job. I recall a figure of 300 hours are allowed to be flown at another airline during the 5 months off. Those on 100% will cover the winter programme, depending on how many are left to do so.

Newly promoted Captains who have been forced onto 70/80% contracts were given a couple of flights a month over last winter to keep their hand in. Whether the same would happen with low houred pilots, who knows?

Crosswind Limit
9th Sep 2010, 09:43
Adding fuel to the fire, the original part time contract a couple of years ago was for 80% - offered to existing Jet2 pilots to take part time. Last year new joiners were offered 70%. So who knows, if they get enough takers this time they may only offer 60%? Don't sell yourself short, it's a slippery slope!

monkeynutz
9th Sep 2010, 10:06
Just like to add my admiration to those guys who have said no to the joke of a 70% and paying for your type rating. As stated by others the T&C's here have been in a steady decline over the last few years and unfortunately while people are still willing to accept these crappy offers the company will carry on exploiting this area.

Definitely think the company are testing the water, seeing who and what they can get for the lowest possible price, not sure that's going to work for them in the long term!

Problem is they need to pay closer attention to the guys already here, it's no good recruiting now if the guys that are here at getting pissed off and leaving, makes no bloody sense to me!

Firestorm
9th Sep 2010, 10:17
Should I be offered a phone interview I will say 'I will consider whatever you have to offer' to whatever they offer only in the hope of getting a proper interview, and the opportunity to refuse the offer at a later stage. I think that could make a stronger statement about what I think of the Ts & Cs, which I agree are poor, and are not what I really want. It should in no way be construed as me selling out please!

LowFareFinder
9th Sep 2010, 10:40
I commend those who have been open and honest about not willing to accept reduced terms and conditions.

Unfortunately, the company won't budge on the 70% stuff. They know they can get away with it. Last year as XL and Globespan had turfed pilots on the market and Thomson and Baby were going through redundancy, there were a huge number of guys available. The pool may be shrinking, but I think there are still too many looking for work. The Cadets will accept anything. I think a starting salary the same as our cabin crew would still yield a bucket load of applications.

The CP has said that he thinks this is the norm for the company for as many years as they can get away with it. I do think having selection criteria based on those willing to get shafted is hardly the right approach, but what do I know. How many good guys are we going to turn away because they just want to be able to put food on their tables?

It all comes down from the CEO and no-one has the balls to stand up to it. If you do, you are out of the door.

max_continuous
9th Sep 2010, 11:51
Spikedog, thanks for the reply, I suspected that would be the case.

As I see it there are quite a few issues with the 70% contract and in particular for low hours pilots.

I myself am low hours and I am only too aware of my own inexperience and shortcomings. I fail to see how it can provide a solid "backbone" to training to have pilots on board for a summer season and when they are getting their hand in over a busy period to then leave them dormant for 5 months. I understand completely that everyone is quieter over winter but when building experience going from flat-out to thumb twiddling can not be constructive.

On the other hand, if the rumoured recruitment in many carriers goes ahead then perhaps the situation will change and more flying will need to be done, but will that see the contract change to reflect this?!

It also occurs to me that as low hours pilot I would be effectively "bonding" myself to Jet2 for a number of years while gaining experience as the 737 classic rating is increasingly limited in "transferability".

That all being said if I'm offered my first flying job am I going to be able to say no?

fade to grey
9th Sep 2010, 13:03
I am glad people are being true to themselves .....

70% contract + pay for TR, you can only be greased up at one end I thought....

I did have a look as their most southerly base is near me, but having done 2 years with FC on summer only contract in the past it's not much fun having no life in the summer and siting around doing sod all in winter, trying to find some grubby little short term contract abroad

Dan 98
9th Sep 2010, 13:23
If enough people with experience say NO to 70% and they can't get enough crew to fly their aircraft they'll have to change it....Simples.!

Well done to everyone who has said no so far, it really is time us pilots grew some balls and stood up for our profession. :D

norton2005
9th Sep 2010, 13:57
Well it may have taken me about 2 to 3 weeks of batteling through the technical difficulties of the application, but I have at last managed to get an application in, hope it's not to late though!

zeddb
9th Sep 2010, 14:37
hope it's not to late though

Judging by the number of folk here who are not prepared to accept the T & C on offer, I very much doubt it's too late. Whether you will be doing yourself any great favour by saying yes is another matter. You might feel a bit of a t*t if you commit yourself to Jet 2 on an out of date type for 3 years if BA/VS/Big charter etc start offering proper jobs in 6 months time. By the time your loan is paid for it may well be all over and you could be up the road with a fairly useless type rating.

Of course if you are looking for your first big break all bets are off. I bet your granny is already up for sale on ebay. Mine would be.

Not heard a thing myself, despite being on the more experienced side and having flown all sorts of 737 in the past.

169west
9th Sep 2010, 15:00
... anybody with a positive picture and reasonable T&C numbers, because so far it seems a little bit too much out of proportion! thanks

TerraFerma
9th Sep 2010, 16:02
Ok, anybody who checked my recent post will have read that, due to personal circumstances, a 70% contract would have been ok with me.

But, the more I look into it, and certainly the more I read other pilots' views, the more I'm disappointed with the attitude of Jet2 and its competitors.

Low pay is one thing, but low pay with strings attached, is just wrong.

So I will make a stand...

Should I recieve a telephone interview, I'll accept the idea of a 70% contract. Should I then recieve a 'proper' interview, I'll do my best to impress and hopefully recieve an offer of employment. But, leaving it as late as possible, I will flatly refuse any such contract.

If enough of us do this, Jet2 may just realise that they are losing a stream of quality potential employees. As I mentioned in the earlier post, I would like to work there and would work there with a positive attitude; at any of their bases, to suit the company. And I'm sure there are many others like me.

I am a professional pilot, and will always do my best to bring a professional approach to the job; but, equally, I would always hope (expect?) to be treated the same way.

I love my wife, but wouldn't accept being treated like a :mad: from her; so I have formed the opinion that I wouldn't accept it from any HR or Flight Ops Management, either.

Market forces - yes, I am well aware that T's & C's have been driven down relentlessly. That's no reason to lose a sense of our self-worth. I've been out of work, but I'll just about manage to hold onto my dignity and tell Jet2 to stuff 70%.

Not for my benefit. But ours.

Professional Pilot = Professional Contract. Regardless of operator.

Rant over, I'm not looking for a debate, just clearing the decks.

binsleepen
9th Sep 2010, 17:19
Hi all,

To put things into perspective of how bad the 70% would be I have just been offered a job as a train driver on full time paying about £40k per year with yearly increaments therafter.

The required qualifications were GCSE English and Maths.

The recruitment process involved on line application
Telephone interview
An aptitude test training day
Two one day aptitude assesment days including an interview.
Finally another interview with the Ops Manager.

The training will take 6 months which they will pay for while also paying me to do the training.

While I love flying and would chose to continue with this career if I could, I have a 100% mortgage and a 100% family, and may need to look elsewhere in order to support them.

There will come a time soon when things will have to change as there are only so many parents willing to pay £100k for their kids to follow a dream.

While the younger and lower houred single pilots may be prepared to take these conditions those with families may not.

At the end of the day any airline will offer the minimum they can get away with, they are a business after all. If they can offer 70% and get enough takers then they will be happy. But if those takers are all low houred and inexperienced they may have to offer more to those with more experience if they want a mix of skills.

If Jet2 suck up all the spare low houred guys and other airlines come to the market later in the Autumn they will have to raise their terms.

Regards

Dan 98
9th Sep 2010, 17:41
Just wondering what the PM is: Are they still recruiting and where do I apply!!!:E

Binsleepen, fair play to you....just sad that you can't continue in what should be a more than viable alternative profession.

fade to grey
9th Sep 2010, 18:09
binsleepen,
Can you give us some idea of the hours requirement for that job ? will they accept 1500 hours on 'thomas' to go direct entry RHS on the 'eurostar' ?

any info appreciated :}

G-SPOTs Lost
9th Sep 2010, 18:15
Its quite clever JET2 are simply getting their retaliation in 1st and foreseeing a small upturn are hoovering up and locking in crew.

binsleepen
9th Sep 2010, 18:18
Off Topic,

You need to show experience on toy plastic trains then wooden trains and finally Hornby trains as well as a feather from Big Chief I Spy for completing the I Spy book of Trains:O

Regards

169west
10th Sep 2010, 07:41
binsleepen, see now you are in trouble and you didn't even start to offer a job! I will not be surprise if people start to PM you their CV.

stansdead
10th Sep 2010, 13:25
I would like to come back to the UK. I have a 757 rating and 1500 hours on type. I am an Airbus Captain currently, but I can't be bothered to fill out the application and assist the charming Mr Meeson (who I had the misfortune to sit next to at dinner 10 years ago) in degrading our profession further.

70% with no way of flying when they don't need you? :mad::mad::mad:

ZeBedie
10th Sep 2010, 14:31
If you pay £20k to take this awful job and 6 months latter normal contracts with decent employers become available, you'll probably feel quite stupid.

stansdead
10th Sep 2010, 20:12
No. It was worse!

Junta Leader
11th Sep 2010, 07:41
Anyone who has been to Jet2 for the full Assessment Day care to share rough details about the experience? Format, tests, interviews, timings etc...?

Thanks in advance

Oscar84
12th Sep 2010, 13:15
HelloFirst of all thank's to everybody.I already applied 2 weeks ago via website for the first officer possition with jet2, but I only have the automatic response from the website Have you any other type of respone?I rode that some people had the phone interview, but I don't know what experience they had.Have you any news?Thank's

Oceanic815
13th Sep 2010, 07:22
It's all gone quiet!!!!

Had a phone interview a couple of weeks ago and heard nothing since!

Does anyone have an update on what is happening and/or feedback from the assessment day last Friday?

Apparently Jet2 were keen to get things moving quickly!

Firestorm
13th Sep 2010, 13:03
It took them about 7 weeks to get in touch with me after an interview at the end of last year. They don't seem to be in that much of a hurry.

M0.76
13th Sep 2010, 13:17
Firestorm the question is this...

Was you successful? Could no news be good news?

The thing I find a bit odd is the person who interviewed me said they was helping out due to HR being too busy... Seems there was no rush after all!

Everytime the phone rings I jump out my skin and I think my iPhone will need a new battery after it's over as I must check my emails 10 times a day!!!!!!

Let's see what happens.....

4Screwaircrew
13th Sep 2010, 13:50
How many people do you think HR have to deal with this influx of applications? How many applicants would you imagine they have? These all have to be sorted out, people apply for posts they are not qualified for E.G. Application for 757 rated position by 737 qualified pilot, this has to be processed and if HR are feeling kind moved to the correct place. On top of this people without the correct licences apply and swell the workload, despite all the posts on here from people who are very swift to knock the company, a great number have applied and do wish to become part of Jet2.

The airline is not being bad mannered, the HR and Pilot Managment staff involved with this also have to continue with the day job.

Firestorm
13th Sep 2010, 14:00
M0.76 I was unsuccessful as it happens. I'm not sure how disappointed I was, but not hugely by then.

4S: I think that sorting applications, arranging interviews, and informing people of the outcome is probably a pretty large part of the "day job" for an HR office. I was told at the interview to expect a decision after ten days to two weeks. It's a bit like the pilots not doing the PAs to the passengers because they were getting on with the "day job" of conducting the flight. PAs to the passengers are very much part of that "day job."

Vone Rotate
13th Sep 2010, 14:10
Well no news is good news in my book:)

DADDY-OH!
13th Sep 2010, 23:41
Anyone who 'doesn't make it' getting into Jet2 shouldn't worry as RYR,EZY & BMI are starting to haemorrage crews as the Gulf carriers & BA gobble them up!

T's&C's are going to have to be greatly enhanced at Jet2.com if they are to compete with RYR,EZY,BMI,BA & the Gulf companies for the dwindling numbers of qualified & experienced crews, or indeed, retaining the ones they already have.....

Be ready, prepared & be flexible as the cyclic gathering storm of Pilot Recruitment may be approaching & I hope it will be a feeding frenzy of job offers, counter-offers, sweetners & 'Golden Hello's'.

The accountants & bean counters have had their feast... now it's our turn. Exciting times ahead.

Dreamshiner
14th Sep 2010, 02:43
Perhaps Daddy-Oh however, EZY, Ryanair and BMi hiring will tend to favour those with A320 and 737NG TR's first.

After than it will probably go to time on jets, turboprop guys, integrated high achievers and modular bods last. Sorry to be devils advocate and maybe stick a pin in the bubble of a recently qualified CPL/IR 250 hour hero reading this.

The aircraft type most affected in the past 3 years of downturn has been the 75/76, through mergers and bankruptcy's. It's these guys who are primarily getting these snide 7 month contracts from TCX and Jet2.

I fear the false recovery we're in just now won't bite until the interest rates rise to combat inflation in the next few years, that will then affect most people's largest outgoing, their mortgage. Granted it won't rise as steeply as it descended (0.5% a month, every month - winter 2008).

When that happens the public tend to cut out luxuries (some regard a holiday as a necessity now, however many do not) and we pilots who also have to keep our repayments on time, resulting in the bean counters still calling the shots for a while yet in my opinion. Late 2012/early 2013 - this is if the Mayan's got their prophecy of the end of the world wrong.

Jet2 seem to do this out of the traditional hiring periods it would appear to see the strength in the marketplace. It gives the HR department a chance to update their databases and top up the hold pool and the bean counters an idea of when they may have to increase the terms and conditions based on the calibre and experience level of those applying.

bluepilot
14th Sep 2010, 09:29
Jet2.com Lands at Glasgow Airport With Nine
Destinations and 150 New Jobs
Jet2.com, the leading leisure airline with friendly low fares, launches eighth base at
Glasgow Airport
Jet2.com, the leading leisure airline with friendly low fares, has today (14 September)
unveiled Glasgow Airport as its eighth and newest base, bringing substantial investment to
the region including 150 new jobs and nine low fare destinations.
Jet2.com is set to deliver its highly successful low fare model at Glasgow which has seen
the airline launch and grow its existing seven UK bases since its inception in early 2003, to
date serving a total of 20 million people and 50 destinations across Europe and as far afield
as New York.
Jet2.com will offer the region’s only direct service to Nice, as well as direct low fare flights
to Alicante, Dalaman, Faro, Tunisia, Majorca, Paphos, Sharm el Sheikh and
Tenerife. Jet2.com’s sister company package holiday specialist, Jet2holidays, will also
offer great value package holidays to these great destinations from Glasgow. Flights are on
sale now from just £36.99 one way including taxes with ATOL protected package holidays
available from £199 per person for 7 nights and will commence operating from March 2011.
As well as giving the travelling public in Glasgow and the West of Scotland even more value
and choice when travelling from the region, the expansion will bring considerable
investment to the area with the creation of 150 new jobs directly with Jet2.com and also in
supporting industries.
One 757 and one 737 aircraft will be based at Glasgow from the launch in March 2011. Both
aircraft will feature Jet2.com’s brand new look interiors and ergonomically designed
seating which has been specially commissioned to make the in-seat experience more
comfortable and accommodating, whilst saving weight and therefore using less fuel.
Ian Doubtfire, Managing Director of Jet2.com, said: “We are thrilled to be launching at
Glasgow Airport and feel that the region will benefit considerably from our friendly low fare
service and the resulting investment into the area. It has been a turbulent time for the
travel industry with some airlines and operators ceasing to trade this year. In contrast, we
have continued to go from strength to strength - including the launch of a new base at East
Midland’s Airport this time last year and significant growth from our existing airport bases.

San Expiry
14th Sep 2010, 12:10
Dreamshiner

'The aircraft type most affected in the past 3 years of downturn has been the 75/76' - there is still contract work available for these. The real dead-ends are probably Fokkers and Avro RJ/146 and I'm almost at a dead-end myself.:{

Dreamshiner
14th Sep 2010, 19:53
I'll get my coat. :E

gissabreak
15th Sep 2010, 14:32
Hi. Does anyone have any feedback from the assessment day please.

binsleepen
16th Sep 2010, 14:29
MP20

So they removed the low hours non-TR app fairly swiftly, I wonder why it was there in the first place, there seems to be enough type rated guys around? I guess that they have been inundated with applications and have more than enough candidates for this recruitment period. Some of the low houred guys had an assessment day last Friday.

There were approx 16 there and they were given a company presentation followed by being split up into groups of 5-6 for group test. They then had a tech test with 40+ questions (multi-choice with 3 answers) and then an interview that lasted about 1 hour.

The interview was apparently a bit chaotic with one guy being interviewed by the chief pilot and another by a 20 something HR person and another by 2 people.

They also briefed that they have not yet decided on contract terms or pay rates either.

Regards

John Alcock
16th Sep 2010, 14:45
There seems to be a lot of negativity regarding the Jet2 recruitment, so I'd be grateful if someone could explain their viewpoint to me.

I have recently left a flying school, and so have no commercial experience. ("Ah," you say "there's the problem!") In the past, people in my situation looking for the Holy Grail of the first job have often found a helping hand in the form of flyBe.

For those knocking the Jet2 salary, it appears that every month a Jet2 F/O on 70% will still take home around £200+ more than a flyBe F/O.

For those being disparaging of the base locations, they're certainly no worse than some of those being offered by flyBe (Inverness, Aberdeen, IoM spring to mind). No offence to anyone there, just inconvenient to visit family and friends.

For those against the age of the fleet, a Classic Type Rating is only differences training away from an NG, not a completely new rating. And a similar comment could apply to flyBe; the Dash-8 may be a technologically incredible aircraft, but there aren't too many European/UK operators around if you leave flyBe.

The comments saying "hang on, the upturns just around the corner" might well be valid. Might not be. While the boats here, I'd like to get on board before it sails! If you've plenty of hours and experience, you probably feel more confident that the bigger "better" airlines will look at your applications. For a low-houred pilot like me, I don't have that experienced-based assurance.

Paying for your own rating is a big down-side, but the rating is less expensive than either Ryanair's or easyJet's, and unlike these two there's the guarantee that your base will be in the UK, and you'll know it before paying for the rating. It sounds as though 99% of the staff at Jet2 are good people too, which doesn't pay bills as someone said, but can make a huge difference to the prospect of going into work.

And for some (myself included), the time off in the winter doesn't sound dreadful as long as you've a hobby/past-time to entertain yourself or even a qualification to study for.

Of the options facing people in my situation, it doesn't seem like a bad one, and I'm aware that flying schools are still cranking the handle adding fresh ab-initios into the job pool every month, so I'm keen to get into employment before I appear stale.

I agree it's not the best job, but for my position I can't help but think it's the best job out there.

I'd be thankful if the half-empty readers would try and explain the negative sides, bearing in mind the alternatives available to me. It'd be really helpful too if you'd add a little about your situation/experience so I can appreciate your perspective.

And sorry if this sounded a bit anti-flyBe at the beginning. It's 100% not meant to be, just a comparison with another low-houred employer and trying to show Jet2 in the light that I see it.

Thanks!

max_continuous
16th Sep 2010, 15:33
@John Alcock

Thank you for voicing the feelings of, I'm sure, many low hours pilots.

Unfortunately I did not progress past the initial selection stage for Jet2 after applying through the available channels... but these things happen ...

Also being low hours I quite agree with much of what you have said and I admit to also suffering from the fear of turning stale; those newly acquired skills, which is what I believe they are no matter how well tests have gone and how glowing a flying reference might be, certainly feel as if they are fast fading despite my best efforts.

As I see things however there is a flaw in the potential offer with Jet2 (and I expressed this opinion in a previous post, prior to receiving the bad news) and that is that 5 months off over winter after only one season of flying is most lilely not the best way to consolidate the learning process. I am sure that many will agree that a busy summer flying season while very intensive does not suddenly convert us from low-hours, inexperienced pilots to experienced FOs with the knack to pick up where we left off, and back comes the issue of skills fade...

If someone with experience of training low-hours pilots in an airline environment wishes to correct me and tell me that I am selling myself short then please feel free but I try to be aware of my own limitations and I reckon I would be pretty rusty after 5 months off (even if I were "flying" a single about, which I still love to do...)

spider_man
16th Sep 2010, 15:38
And sorry if this sounded a bit anti-flyBe at the beginning. It's 100% not meant to be, just a comparison with another low-houred employer and trying to show Jet2 in the light that I see it.

For those knocking the Jet2 salary, it appears that every month a Jet2 F/O on 70% will still take home around £200+ more than a flyBe F/O.

Unfair comparison. Try the other large established UK tour operators such as Monarch, Thomas Cook and Thomsonfly operating B737/B757 or similar, not a turboprop regional payscale. All of these airlines have employed low houred pilots in the past and will again.

A standard Jet2 contract is already low pay and this 70% salary for 80% deal probably puts you on 50% pay (or a turboprop salary) when compared to other UK Boeing/Airbus operators. Don't forget you won't get flight pay, diem, etc. in the 5 winter months. Just like P2F, these temporary part time contracts will also spread like a cancer in the industry.

I'm not saying its a bad deal if you can make it work for you and suits your lifestyle or present situation. I am worried it will drag the rest of the industry down to its level.

the Dash-8 may be a technologically incredible aircraft, but there aren't too many European/UK operators around if you leave flyBe

The airline knows this and will manage its payscales accordingly.

but for my position I can't help but think it's the best job out there.

You're probably right.

mat22
16th Sep 2010, 15:39
I applied on the 29th of august, got a call yesterday to set up a phone call interview for today....it was very quick..they change their mind overnight...."From today we are are not going to get low hours pilots anymore". That's why the removed the app from the website.

Sorry to bring this bad news to all like me..waiting for something.....:ugh:

P-T
16th Sep 2010, 16:09
Little confused about what Jet2 is doing to me!

I applied for the post last year, had an interview in Nov 09 and was told I'd be contacted within 2 weeks with a result. To date I still have no reply and when I call up the HR department say they will get back to me............

I have again applied this year, while other colleagues have been given a no thanks or please come to interview, I still have had no correspondence from them.

TR'd on 757 with 1000hrs and looking for a job next Summer........I guess I better keep looking!

monkeynutz
16th Sep 2010, 16:16
Sorry to hear that for the low-time guys, they do change there mind very quickly and might do again, you never know.

As for the comments comparing Jet2 with FlyBe, well all I can say is that most of us here at Jet2 are striving towards the improvement of T&C's not the degradation of them.

Comparing us with albeit a very successful regional turboprop/jet operator, shows nothing more than a lack of experience within this industry. Don't mean it to sound harsh but there it is.

The whole point of benchmarking T&C's is to strive to improve things not to always work to the lowest common denominator, which lets be honest, airlines have been doing for the past several years.

We should be looking at the best parts of all the comparable UK airlines T&C's and strive for that, even if it is unlikely to happen, we should at least aim high.

I do feel for the new starters, I was one not so long ago and it is like being stuck between a rock and a hard place, but paying for type ratings, bonded and only a 70% contract is just a bad deal, and this reflects and effects all of us here at Jet2.

Just a note and not sure how true this is but apparently the CAA have told Jet2 that they can not employ too many cadets as there is an issue with the dilution of experience. Think this is aimed mostly at the B757 fleet. As I say this is unsubstantiated gossip, so take it with a Everest size pinch of salt, but there could be some truth in it.

Finally, think most of the guys at FlyBe would argue, as they are doing at the moment, that they should be paid a hell of a lot more than they currently do, it's bloody scandalous what they're being paid. It needs to be brought in line with the rest of the Jet operators in the UK! They have my total support....

Shrimps
16th Sep 2010, 16:59
Still haven't heard, but as a low houred, non-TR candidate it looks like my app will have been filed in the circular filing cabinet as well.

Ivan aromer
16th Sep 2010, 20:13
What you all have to realise is that the goal posts in Jet2 are fitted with frictionless castors. "Being able to respond quickly to market conditions" is the corporate thinking behind this strategy. However when they are setting the market conditions that is, I suggest, a bit disingenuous.
However, the majority of the crews, cabin and tech, are very nice to work with; there is the odd exception but then nothing is perfect in my experience. The engineering back up is brilliant. SO, nil desporandum chaps and chapesses, if you can get through the fog of HR and the recruitment process enjoy!

windshear-a-head
16th Sep 2010, 20:50
Try the other large established UK tour operators such as Monarch, Thomas Cook and Thomsonfly operating B737/B757 or similar, not a turboprop regional payscale. All of these airlines have employed low houred pilots in the past and will again.

You can bet your life when they do recruit, it'll be on similar 'summer only' contracts.....like Thomas Cook did this season. :yuk: