PDA

View Full Version : What is the best way to keep yourself IFR current?

dlx_xlb
18th Aug 2010, 15:28
Just wondering, how else other people keep themselves IFR current (IF time & approaches), without actually working for the flight hours.

&

The best way to do so.

Piltdown Man
18th Aug 2010, 16:20
Unfortunately, the only real answer is Pay! But is the question that you are really asking: "Is it worth it?"?

PM

pitot_noob
18th Aug 2010, 16:51
A good flight sim set up does wonders for keeping your scan going!

michael95u
19th Aug 2010, 19:48
To stay PROFICIENT, I recommend either X-Plane or Microsoft Flight Sim with a yoke and pedals. That is by far the cheapest way to go.

So stay CURRENT AND PROFICIENT, I would recommend getting some time each month in a certified flight training device with an instructor.

Though nothing beats time in the actual airplane.....

Michael

dlx_xlb
20th Aug 2010, 11:13
What I mean is IFR currentl Legally as per the CAO

welliewanger
21st Aug 2010, 15:30
This may sound fatuous, but why do you need to stay current?

If you're not going to use the privileges which come with currency, then just let it lapse. When you actually need to use the privileges (you've got a job) someone else will be paying you to stay current. Alternatively you could pay to regain currency yourself. It can't take much flight time. But really you should be flying an hour a month (at least) just to keep your hand in.

Having said that, I wouldn't let the ratings lapse for too long. I don't know the CAO requirements, but let me give the UK instrument rating as an example. It's valid for a year. If it lapses, then you can leave it for up to five years and just take a test to revalidate. After that you need further training.