PDA

View Full Version : Medical - Blocked Ear Question

Miss Behavin
18th Aug 2010, 14:57
Hi All,

I'm just about recovering from a cold, I have a blocked ear. Is it advisable to go ahead with taking the Class 1 medical?

My hearing seems OK, but ear painful and swollen. My balance feels slightly off key.

Thank you

Miss B

Miss Behavin
23rd Aug 2010, 21:51
Hi,
No response from 100 viewers :{
In case anyone is in a similar situation or unsure what to do if you are suffering from a cold or flu, the CAA can not advise you on whether you should take the medical. It's your call.

I was in a difficult predicament on whether my seemingly blocked ear would cause me to fail any element of the medical.
Worrying place to be the night before the C1, hence my posting!

Very nice people at CAA agreed to move my medical to a later date with no extra cost.

Regards

MB

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
24th Aug 2010, 09:26
At my initial medical at CME 40+ years ago the ENT lady stamped "failed" on my form as I was deaf in one ear. I had to go back a few days later and have another audiogram plus the infernal test where you wear headphones and someone reads out like sounding words with a loud engine noise in the background. Luckily I guessed them all right! I'm sure you will be alright.

Miss Behavin
24th Aug 2010, 21:16
Thanks Heathrow Director.
Appreciate you sharing your story, made me giggle!

I had the night before jitters and worried I might fail because of this temporary problem.
You can't really tell "yourself", if your hearing is impaired.

Just didn't know what to do the night before the medical :uhoh:
In typical female fashion needed reassurance,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:p

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
25th Aug 2010, 07:48
Let us know how you get on......

harrowing
3rd Sep 2010, 00:03
Speaking from experience, it is possible to pass your annual medical and get a medical certificate for sickness at the same time. Initially it seemed like a contradiction in terms.
However, if you had balance problems, your concerns were justified.
Hope all went well.

mad_jock
3rd Sep 2010, 09:28
yep know a few folk that went for thier class one renewal and got given 2 weeks sick line as well as their class one certificate.

One doc did it that often (usually because of fatigue but used to put some other reason down) that the company was trying to stop pilots going to him.

Mr Angry from Purley
3rd Sep 2010, 16:58
Missb
Might have been a chest infection - want me to rub some vic on?:8

waco
4th Sep 2010, 10:12
....but what would vic say ?