PDA

View Full Version : Abandon Aircraft In Asia

Airport 77
18th Aug 2010, 10:06
Are there many abandon airliners throughout Asia?
How about Vietnam War area military aircraft?
What does China, The Philippines, Thailand and other countries in The Far East do with their aircraft when they’re retired? Some airframes may not be worth it to send to boneyards in the US.
Given the humid environment, I doubt any airframes would stay airworthy if they sit to long in this sort of climate.
Are there any storage yards in The Far East?

Metro man
18th Aug 2010, 10:20
Not too many around as space is usually at a premium at major airports. Ho Chi Minh (Saigon) has an old Tupolev TU134 and a DC3, plus a few derelict Vietnam war era US military helicopters.

Jakarta appears to have a few scrap airframes in the maintenance area.

Bangkok has a few old jumbos and Tristars, not too sure of their flying status but I wouldn't like to go on them.:}

FI_JOB_HUNTER
18th Aug 2010, 14:15
Someone forgot a F-27 @ Gan Airport in Maldives, plenty of corrosion spots, nice interiors and upholstery though, wanna do some cannibalizing? ;)

nitpicker330
19th Aug 2010, 01:02
Manila..............3 old Philippine Air Force F27's sitting rotting, a few Helos' as well ( Heuy )

KL..........some old 747's trashed around KLIA

Jakarta............lots and lots of 727's 737's F28's YS11's 747's DC-9's, MD 82's
all parked in a little junk yard not far from the Domestic terminal

Surabaya.........A few 737's, DC-9's parked in a small junk yard on the other side of the Airport near their Hangars

Cebu.......same as above with the addition of an Australian GAF Nomad N22

Bombay.........One 737 x crash sitting near the runway intersection for quite a while, some 747's junked near the Air India Hangar

Cambodia.......A lot of Migs, Russian Helo's parked on the Military ramp

Asian countries bought a lot of old 727's 737's DC-9's etc from the US boneyards, they fly them into the ground then dump em!!

Airport 77
19th Aug 2010, 03:32
Thanks!
This really helps.
I am very interested in the ones in Jakarta, Surabaya and Cebu.
Sounds like they have the most and possibly easy to get.

As far as the military aircraft in Cambodia, are they on display? Is their government keeping these as sort of symbols of national pride?
If not, I'd like to go and see some of these.

nitpicker330
19th Aug 2010, 11:15
The ones in Phnom Penh Airport are ( 2 years ago ) parked on the opposite side of the Airport from the International Terminal. They were MIGS of some sort ( maybe 19 or 21's ) and a few big Russian Helo's painted white ( maybe x UN )

I don't know how you'd get access? Maybe flash a bit of cash at the right person!!

greybeard
19th Aug 2010, 15:09
A google map on Surabuya shows a lot near the hangar, used to loads of old F-27/F-28 in 2003, seems little changed.

:ok:

VT-ASM
19th Aug 2010, 17:15
Saw one Boeing 707 in Skymasters livery biting dust at Nagpur airport, India.....
Some Ex Indian Airlines A300s minus the noses at Bombay airport

Really sad sight

grizzled
20th Aug 2010, 16:25
If it's civil aircraft you're looking for, Jakarta is a "goldmine". In addition to the aircraft already mentioned at Soekarno-Hatta there a lot of aircraft at Halim (most of which are another generation older).

Lineboy4life
20th Aug 2010, 17:04
went for a nosie a couple of days ago and saw in various states of repair...

5x402's, 3xChieftians,2xAztec,1cherokee6,1B200,3xF28,2xF50,1xATR72,1x RV4,1xsenica

I would guess the majority of them are involved in some sort of financial dispute which would make obtaining them a little hard...

few others round indo too...sentani AN12,C130transall,F27,

buskoto
21st Aug 2010, 16:55
Cebu has hosted an abandoned Dalavia Tu-204 since January this year.

Manila has a number of retired Cebu Pacific DC-9s stored all around the airport. Some have been scrapped, but there are still a few intact airframes. Lots of derelict DC-3/C-47s, YS-11s, a Lockheed Constellation and An-24/26s too. Don't know if the Convair 340 RP-C110 is still around. Years ago someone was in the process of restoring it but probably ran out of funds.

training wheels
22nd Aug 2010, 05:12
In Surabaya, Indonesia outside the Merpati hangar there are quite a number of derelict 737s (200 and 300 series), F-27's and F28's for sale. You can pick one up for about $25,000 USD. Makes a good restaurant or granny flat if you have backyard large enough. Let me know if you're interested. :)

http://i36.tinypic.com/dxe71l.jpg

http://i37.tinypic.com/2z3t8nd.jpg

nitpicker330
23rd Aug 2010, 04:07
I tried to post a couple of pikkies but the site wont allow me to?

How did you manage to do it?

training wheels
23rd Aug 2010, 11:18
I tried to post a couple of pikkies but the site wont allow me to?

How did you manage to do it?

Upload your pic to TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting (http://tinypic.com/) and then copy the link from there to your post.

Plastic fantastic
23rd Aug 2010, 13:15
I would be careful about approaching aircraft at Military and/or shared military/civil fields in countires like Vietnam(HCM),Cambodia(PNH) and Thailand(Rayong).
The aircraft may appear to be abandoned and infact may never fly again but, they still belong to the armed forces and are guarded.
You could easily find yourself in trouble as they don't understand casual interest in aeroplanes. They may arrest or even shoot first.
If you hope to buy some, you may strike a deal with someone, hand over the $$$ and then find you have no chance of getting them out of the country.
They haven't been there for such a long time just waiting for you to come and get them.There is usually a reason.

aseanaero
24th Aug 2010, 15:06
5x402's, 3xChieftians,2xAztec,1cherokee6,1B200,3xF28,2xF50, 1xATR72,1xRV4,1xsenica

I would guess the majority of them are involved in some sort of financial dispute which would make obtaining them a little hard...

A lot of these GA aircraft at Halim were abandoned during the Asian financial crisis and have 10 years of unpaid parking charges on them which is worth more than the salvage value of the aircraft.

The B200 is owned by PENAS and is waiting for an engine overhaul , I purchased the sister B200 last year and that took 12 months as it was owned by a government owned company.

The 'F-50s' are F-27s , you can buy them from the owner Top Air for $7,500 each , there is nothing of any value left on them

There are 2 x 402Bs which are owned by Deraya , one is flying and one has been stripped for parts , the others are 401As and are in very bad shape , the engines are so corroded that you can't turn the props , the interiors have been gutted and the airframe corrosion is BAD

Most of these abandoned aircraft have no log books and I've picked them up in the past for $3,000 to $5,000 just for the salvage value of the engine cores and other parts. Even at those prices I don't make a lot of money from buying and reselling bits of these aircraft

Airport 77
30th Aug 2010, 05:49
Thanks so much guys, this really helps me out.

Thank you for the pictures training wheels!

Now I have to see about who to contact about these airplanes just sitting around. I'd hate to see these scrapped.
I am now courious about the partially restored Constellation. That should certianly be completed and sitting in a museum.