From the Old(er) aircraft thread in Tech Log

"It is said that the mother of the last B-52 pilot has not yet been born."

Discuss

tony draper
18th Aug 2010, 10:16
And will he ever know who his father is.:rolleyes:

G-CPTN
18th Aug 2010, 10:20
At least the manifestations of the Russian Bear are significant upgrades from the original . . .

Gainesy
18th Aug 2010, 10:20
Discuss

How very rude.

jimtherev
18th Aug 2010, 10:24
Gainsey :)

bnt
18th Aug 2010, 12:25
It wouldn't be the first time someone thought of teaching an Old Dog (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_of_the_Old_Dog) new tricks ... :ok:

Storminnorm
18th Aug 2010, 17:04
I never knew that they carried Women on those B-52's.

Someone had to do the washing and cooking I suppose?

tony draper
18th Aug 2010, 17:11
We should have bought fifty of them off the Cousins,instead of these daft Eurofighters, they got loads of em lying about in the desert,flatten a lot of sand dunes wi a B52 yer can.
:rolleyes:

rgbrock1
18th Aug 2010, 17:14
B52's are also very good at sealing up cave entrances. Permanently. :ok:

Gainesy
18th Aug 2010, 17:25
A bit extravagent don't you think? We'd likely use a bomb.

rgbrock1
18th Aug 2010, 17:31
A bomb? Those are generally what fall from a B-52 bomber, yes!

http://www.psywarrior.com/B52Bomber.jpg

unstable load
18th Aug 2010, 17:42
Missed, Gainsey!:zzz:

Tankertrashnav
18th Aug 2010, 17:57
At least the manifestations of the Russian Bear are significant upgrades from the original . . .

Was listening to Radio 4 prog about intelligence gathering yesterday and they did an item from Leuchars with some Tornado guys going off to intercept Bears. They commented on the fact that the a/c still have the red stars on the tail. I had a look in my logbook and there's a photo of a Bear that "our" Lightning intercepted in July 1972, and I bet that aircraft (airframe at least) is still flying North of the Shetlands some 38 years later.

More than can be said for a Victor 1 :(

rgbrock1
18th Aug 2010, 18:05
A Russian TU-95MS, affectionately referred to as the "Bear", was recently intercepted off the coast of Alaska by an F-15C Eagle. Here is a photograph in which you can see that even this "Bear" still has the red star on it.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/67/Tu-95MS_and_F-15C.jpg/220px-Tu-95MS_and_F-15C.jpg

G-CPTN
18th Aug 2010, 18:39
If it ain't broke . . .

ehwatezedoing
18th Aug 2010, 19:59
Those Red Star Bears can be pretty maneuverable...
Here is one trying to 'escape' :p

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g300/aim9xray/cf-18_bear.jpg

Caboclo
18th Aug 2010, 20:03
Even a Buff can't do that! :eek: I guess that's why they have guns in the tail. :E

con-pilot
18th Aug 2010, 20:20
Tinker Air Force Base, located in Oklahoma City, is the main repair and overhaul facility for the B-52, among others.

A few years ago a B-52 rolled out of the primary overhaul building, 3001 if you really want to know, and every piece of the aircraft had been replaced except for the co-pilot’s right rudder pedal, including the aircraft’s skin.

So, as long as they keep doing that, it is true that the mother of the next B-52 has not yet been born. In fact there are more than a few occasions where the son of a B-52 pilot has flown the same B-52 that their father did.

Loki
18th Aug 2010, 20:25
There was a plan to re engine them with RB211s or something....what happened to that idea?

dead_pan
18th Aug 2010, 20:33
So the father has been borne already, yes? Assuming the B52 will be around for at least another 40 years, the poor chap's going to have to wait until he's in his mid-50s to legally consumate his marriage. It'll take another 20+ years for said pilot to become airworthy, by which time it'll be too late as the a/c will have been scrapped. Ergo this statement is incorrect and should be struck from the record.

tony draper
18th Aug 2010, 20:45
Sounds like me Grandads Hammer that I still use Mr Con, it's has three new shafts and two new heads and it's still good as new.:rolleyes:

rgbrock1
18th Aug 2010, 20:56
The B52 Stratofortress has not been produced since 1962.

The U.S. Air Force intends on using them at least until 2040, when the AF intends on retiring the remaining fleet.

There were 744 produced in 10 years of which only 68 are currently active and 9 in a reserve status.

The latest version is the B-52H whose most significant upgrade was the switch to
TF33-P-3 turbofan engines. It entered service in 1962 when the last B-52 left the production lines.

The Air Force intends on eventually replacing the entire B52 force with the introduction of a new heavy bomber no later than 2037.

con-pilot
18th Aug 2010, 21:13
Yeah TD, but does you grandfather’s hammer still have the same serial number? The B-52 in question still does, or did if it is still around. :p

Loose rivets
18th Aug 2010, 21:42
Just think, we could skip paying air fares if we got this going.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/Florida1025.jpg

No, it's no good, some of the bombs are missing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/Florida1026.jpg

G-CPTN
18th Aug 2010, 22:08
Some SOE Operatives were, apparently, transported in the bomb bays of aircraft . . .
parachuted into Denmark, smuggled out of Denmark, flown from Sweden to England in the bomb bay of a Mosquito, dropped back into Denmark, been the target of a man hunt by 50 Gestapo agents, helped to arrange the entry of Denmark into the war on the Allied side, organised the destruction of every railway link in Jutland during the vital month of June ’44
Professor Niels Bohr , who helped design the "Atom Bomb" flew from Bromma 6/7 OCT 1943 in the converted bomb bay of a Mosquito. The SOE and MI 5 was deeply involved in some of the passengers and cargo ferried.
(not B52s, obviously)

You'd need to be able to trust the crew not to release you early.

dead_pan
18th Aug 2010, 22:36
a new heavy bomber no later than 2037

Ah yes, the militarised version of the A380. The bomb-bay would be a sight to behold.

tony draper
18th Aug 2010, 22:44
Read somewhere that when some of our Boffins were sent on missions to look at enemy radar and other secret kit they were made to ride sitting on the bombay doors sans parachute, if the aircraft got into trouble a minder had to have his hand on the bomb bay hatch release to make sure said boffins did not fall into enemy hands,well they would have sort of fallen into enemy hands but from a few thousand feet.
:uhoh:

con-pilot
18th Aug 2010, 23:33
Read somewhere that when some of our Boffins were sent on missions to look at enemy radar and other secret kit they were made to ride sitting on the bombay doors sans parachute, if the aircraft got into trouble a minder had to have his hand on the bomb bay hatch release to make sure said boffins did not fall into enemy hands,well they would have sort of fallen into enemy hands but from a few thousand feet.

I realize that this is thread drift Tony, but the boffins you mentioned. The body guards that were assigned to the boffins on the raid had orders to kill the boffins if their capture by the Germans was eminent. The curious part about this was, that the body guards were in actuality US FBI agents. This was so that there would not have been Englishmen killing fellow Englishmen.

I read that in a book about Churchill.

Gainesy
19th Aug 2010, 11:06
We try Mr Unstable, we try...:ok::)

Storminnorm
19th Aug 2010, 11:39
Makes a change con-pilot.
Yanks killing folks on thier own side.

Lon More
19th Aug 2010, 11:53
Norty boy! Norm but Mr. Churchill was not a very nice man so that's entirely believable.

MagnusP
19th Aug 2010, 11:59
This was so that there would not have been Englishmen killing fellow Englishmen.

Unlike 1643 when they were knocking lumps out of each other!

teeteringhead
19th Aug 2010, 12:24
Unlike 1643 when they were knocking lumps out of each other! ... but I think the cousins rather outdid us in the 1860s .....

...... AND that's when they invented Concentration Camps (before we used them in the Boer War).

Gainesy
19th Aug 2010, 12:37
If Camp Coffee was concentrated was it....

Er Mr Rivets Sir, please could you edit yer legs?

Loose rivets
19th Aug 2010, 14:41
No need, I had to return the trousies to the Eric Morcambe estate some time ago.

con-pilot
19th Aug 2010, 19:32
... but I think the cousins rather outdid us in the 1860s .....

...... AND that's when they invented Concentration Camps (before we used them in the Boer War).

You got any proof to back up that statement?

If you are referring to the POW camps during the Civil War, you are incorrect. They were not concentration camps.

Now please explain how you managed to change a light hearted thread about an old bomber, that happens to still be into service, into a charge that the US created concentration camps?

If you don't mind, I am rather curious about the thinking behind this change.

con-pilot
19th Aug 2010, 19:35
Makes a change con-pilot.
Yanks killing folks on thier own side.

Hate to pop your bubble there, but the raids were successful and no boffins were killed.

By the way, a B-52 just flew over my house just now, west bound.

tony draper
19th Aug 2010, 19:52
There was a B52 made a appearance at the Sunderland Air Show,anybody know where that beast is based?,cant imagine them flying all the was across the Atlantic just to show up over Sunderland,might be understandable if it was the Newcastle Airshow.
:rolleyes:

rgbrock1
19th Aug 2010, 20:20
Tony D:

The B-52 which participated at the Sunderland Airshow back in June 2010
was part of the 917th Wing (AFRES) based at Barksdale Air Force base in Louisiana. It is a member of the 93rd Bomb Squadron based there.

It probably refueled somewhere over the Atlantic en route and on its return route as well.

Which is nothing compared to flying from Minot AFB in North Dakota (5th Bomb Wing/23rd Bomb Squadron) to Afghanistan, laying down a lot of things which go bang, and then flying straight back to Minot after the mission was completed.

tony draper
19th Aug 2010, 20:33
Spose they could have done a practice nuke delivery on Sunderland,make the trip worthwhile as it were.:rolleyes:
They should have given me a call I would have been there like a shot wi me laser designator to paint the place forrem.
:E

G-CPTN
19th Aug 2010, 20:41
The B52 came over for several airshows around that time - RIAT, Farnborough and (Waddington?) as well as Sunderland.

henry crun
20th Aug 2010, 06:07
This version never caught on, maybe it was the lack of windows for the pax.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/crun9/Panam.jpg

Gainesy
20th Aug 2010, 11:43
More likely Pan-Am's crap time keeping.:p After they went TU a load of their pax were found at LHR three weeks later; thought their jet was delayed in Frankfurt as usual.

The Sunderland B-52 was UK based for a couple of weeks, Fairford I think.

Buffs and Rolling Thunder, very well named.

Loki
20th Aug 2010, 12:25
There`s one permanently based in the UK

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k288/loki_021/forafrica/B52.jpg

Duxford: American collection.....well worth the visit.

G-CPTN
20th Aug 2010, 13:05
I was surprised how 'battered' the skin panels of the B52 at Duxford appear . . .

Maybe the contortions of the airframe during the landing caused this?

0:52 :- sSIGd6COFb8

teeteringhead
20th Aug 2010, 13:23
con-pilot

Quote:
... but I think the cousins rather outdid us in the 1860s .....

You got any proof to back up that statement? ... apologies both for the thread drift (one of the most appealing parts of JB I find) and any offence caused. The sad thing is surely that both our countries experienced the worst casualties proportional to our populations in Civil Wars.

And 150 years after the event I was being light-hearted, perhaps misguidedly. For that mea culpa.... but that said, as to proof, here's a good start (http://www.ihr.org/jhr/v02/v02p137_Weber.html) The bibliography is respectable and bears examination. You will notice that a previous President agrees with my line.

If you think there may be more interest, I can put it on a separate thread??

Gainesy
20th Aug 2010, 15:13
I was surprised how 'battered' the skin panels of the B52 at Duxford appear . . .

Maybe the contortions of the airframe during the landing caused this?

If you mean the wrinkles, they're all like that.

Blacksheep
20th Aug 2010, 15:25
If you mean the wrinkles, they're all like that.Yeah, we all get wrinkles when we're that old. :(

G-CPTN
20th Aug 2010, 15:28
Yup! there didn't seem to be a 'tight' panel anywhere on the fuselage.

Storminnorm
20th Aug 2010, 15:37
The 737 was always "wrinkled" around the aft fuselage.
Even on the fairly new aircraft.