PDA

View Full Version : Cargo pilot route

RJS1987
18th Aug 2010, 07:39
Hi Guys,

Is there a different route to take to become a cargo pilot rarther than to fly passengers? I can't find any specific cargo pilots courses. Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Richard

VFR Transit
18th Aug 2010, 08:29
You fly on the same licence :hmm:

Why don't you just get the ATPL and then apply to cargo and frieght companies instead of passenger airlines :bored:

VFR

RJS1987
18th Aug 2010, 08:39
Thanks for that, I was just getting a little bit confused. I think I will head over to florida to do my PPL and then come back to the uk and start ATPL. Is this a sensible option to do it that way?

Airclues
18th Aug 2010, 08:47
RJS1987

From my experience, most cargo pilots have previously flown passenger aircraft.

Regarding your ATPL plans, I suggest that you have a good read of this thread;

http://www.pprune.org/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/131649-archive-reference-threads-posting-guidelines-read-before-you-post-question.html

Dave

VFR Transit
18th Aug 2010, 08:47
I must stress before running off to the USA (not a bad option) please make sure you do your research on all options open to you.

The exchange rate may not favour the USA route and once you factor in the flights there and back and living expenses, it may well be cheaper to do your actual training here in the UK.

I like the USA and would consider training there but as said make sure you do your research.

one rule is "NEVER PAY UP FRONT"

Look and search on these forums and others on USA flying vs UK flying as there is loads of good and bad information.

Whatever you choose just enjoy the flying and most off all stay safe.

VFR

RJS1987
18th Aug 2010, 09:10
Re: Florida I think this is the best option so that you can complete the course in a shorter space of time, doing it here in the UK will take a minimum of a year and other factors such as weather are going to set me back some-what I guess?

Do you know of any ATPL training material (cd's) that would be worth getting?

Thanks again for all your help.

Uncle Wiggily
18th Aug 2010, 09:28
I'm sure there is a school out there that will sell you a "cargo pilot conversion course with 300 hours line training to include real boxes and hazmat."

VFR Transit
18th Aug 2010, 09:50
RJS1987

Take little steps my friend :ok:

First of all just get your get your PPL + Night Qualification and build some hours (getting the CPL QXC complete also)

Once you are getting near your required hours for CPL why not start looking at the ATPL theory and of course the CPL,IR & ME.

If you want to have a chat about it, drop me a PM with your number and we can talk.

VFR