JOINT PRESS RELEASE
The Hon. Warren Truss, Shadow Minister for Trade, Transport & Local Government
Leader of the Nationals
Senator Guy Barnett, Liberal Senator for Tasmania
COALITION TO INVESTIGATE RADAR USE IN
AIR TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT
FOCUS ON LAUNCESTON
Wednesday 18 August, 2010
A Coalition Government will commission a review into the use of radar in Australia’s air traffic
management, with a particular focus on Launceston, Shadow Minister for Transport and Leader of the
Nationals, Warren Truss, and Liberal Senator, Guy Barnett said today.
The review will obtain international expertise to ensure that Australia uses radar in the best possible
way to ensure the safety of our skies. The review will have a particular focus on Launceston following an
incident in the area more than two years ago.
“Plainly, Labor is not interested in this issue,” Mr Truss said.
The review will consider the conclusions of the ATSB report on the Launceston incident and whether the
better use of radar could have prevented it.
Senator Guy Barnett welcomed the announcement on behalf of Tasmanians.
Senator Barnett said, “The fact that it took Australia’s safety authority, the Australian Transport Safety
Bureau two years to report on a near‐miss incident that took place over Launceston, is unacceptable.”
“Mr Truss said, “A Coalition Government will ensure that Australia’s air management agencies are
resourced properly,”
A Coalition Government will also seek to make Australia a global leader in flight training. The Trade
Representative for Services, to be appointed by a new Coalition Government and the Australian Trade
Commission, will be tasked to promote Australia’s pilot training services around the world.
Australia is one of the best places in the world to learn to fly and obtain skills in the aviation industry.
The Coalition will build on this by seeking to enhance Commonwealth loan assistance for commercial
pilot training. Australia has highly professional aviation sector and a Coalition Government will keep it
that way.
“I am also concerned that the Federal Labor Transport Minister Anthony Albanese refused my invitation
to attend a stakeholder’s forum on air safety in Tasmania,” said Senator Barnett.
“What could be more important for an island state than air safety?
Media Contact: Philip Clayton – 0414 317441

peuce
18th Aug 2010, 06:58
I may be becoming too cynical, but wasn't Warren Truss one of the long line of Federal Ministers who were responsible for the neglect of Aviation in Australia? :uhoh:

P.S. And hasn't Labor already ordered the introduction of radar services at Launceston ? Although they don't actually expect it to be implemented...:suspect:

Afraid, I don't have much faith in either mob.:(

compressor stall
18th Aug 2010, 07:00
So they are going to commission a review

Not really binding earth shattering policy is it? Let alone "Real Action"

Mind you not much from the other side either!

Jabawocky
18th Aug 2010, 07:03
A review based on a knee jerk reaction to a wind up in the media by a well known chap about a REAL NON-EVENT.........:D

You all know which way I vote....but really this is polotics at its best!!:D :rolleyes:

Frank Arouet
18th Aug 2010, 07:07
Yes- but here is a statement that he and the Coalition can be held accountable for;

A Coalition Government will also seek to make Australia a global leader in flight training.

compressor stall
18th Aug 2010, 07:19
Yup - another nice one. Ops normal for pollie-speak.

When it's all gone t!ts up or contrary to your plan, you can't be held accountable if you seek to do something or announce firmly and proudly that you are are committed to do something.

Similarly you can't be held to accountable if you base all your decisions on advice.

Weasel words.... :mad:

Frank Arouet
18th Aug 2010, 07:26
That other mob are so arrogant they reckon they don't need to say anything. Are these non- weasel words?

compressor stall
18th Aug 2010, 07:37
Ref my comment above - not much from the other side either.

I believe that commissioning a review and "seeking" to do something is akin to saying nothing. It is cheap politics with comments deigned to highlight the absence of the other side's policy, without actually having one yourself.

Jabawocky
18th Aug 2010, 08:05
If you think Howards days were not good........well too many more of the woodpecker and you will soon see why Howards days were really quite pleasant!

Jabawocky
18th Aug 2010, 09:48
:mad::mad::mad:
“I am also concerned that the Federal Labour Transport Minister Anthony Albanese refused my invitation
to attend a stakeholder’s forum on air safety in Tasmania,” said Senator Barnett.
“What could be more important for an island state than air safety?

Coalition to Investigate Radar Use in Air Traffic Management - (http://www.guybarnett.com/Pages/Article.aspx?ID=687)

Now place your bets here folks.......

What Forum is this exactly? Which STAKEHOLDERS have been invited??

Sounds like a huge political stunt to me!!!

Attn: Dick Smith......any idea who where and when this "Forum" is being held and EXACTLY WHO has been invited??? No doubt the folk who provide the services will be at the top of the invitee list ;)

Or is this a grandstanding political stunt that will be pulled at very short notice????

From the liberal party stunt pulling machine, despite the fact Peter Dutton will get my vote, this is a pretty sleazy act chaps.

J:mad:

Jabawocky
18th Aug 2010, 10:11
Yeah.........polotics at its best hey!
This seat and its boundary changes over the years seems to have had both sides hopping like a cat on a hot tin roof!

beaver_rotate
18th Aug 2010, 11:37
Here dicky dicky dicky....

Freedom7
18th Aug 2010, 11:57
Can't wait till Saturday nite..........

And by the way there is no RADAR at Launy, just a cheap sub standard system.

WAMLAT = TASHOLE:*

Jabawocky
18th Aug 2010, 12:25
Hey.......get your facts in order.

WAMLAT is rather good....as an SSR eqivelant. Sure its not a primary radar.

Funny stories about the primary radar at Launie.....folks who used to buzz thru undetected for years, then primary was online :suspect:........ooops, but that never meets the media.

Of course the NASTRONAUTS say it never happens when engaged in other debates.....FACTS are it does, and they refuse to accept it. Without primary though it never ever ever happend!:rolleyes:

So where is Dick now???? let me guess.........getting a good nights sleep before a big day out in the media.:}:}:} I wonder where he will turn up next??? Rocky? Cairns? Broome? Ballina?..................:E

Capn Bloggs
18th Aug 2010, 13:39
Yes- but here is a statement that he and the Coalition can be held accountable for;

A Coalition Government will also seek to make Australia a global leader in flight training.

Yer dreaming, Frank.

compressor stall
18th Aug 2010, 23:12
I thought he was taking the p!ss but it appears not! I'm stunned that anyone can think that a promise to seek to do something equals accountability! Naive, blinkered or both?

Frank Arouet
19th Aug 2010, 00:48
This current election campaign is full of quotes (most out of text), of things either opposing mob are being held accountable for. If it was said, it can certainly come back to bite you at a future date.

Naive, blinkered or both

Just about sums up a lot of voters, some even consider The Greens a viable alternative because they are more "believable" than the major Party's.:eek:

max1
19th Aug 2010, 01:01
This is not just a 'criticism' of Labors aviation policy, but a 'stern criticism'. I have no doubt it will be upgraded to a 'very stern criticism' by Friday. I expect not only a 'strongly worded letter' but a 'very strongly worded letter' to be put forth by the minister.
A focus group should be put together , not just with 'stakeholders'. This calls for 'key stakeholders'. Don't dither around with just 'looking into it' either, ' look closely into it'. When 'reporting back' to the Minister the words 'as a matter of utmost importance' must be in the press release otherwise I don't believe they are taking it seriously enough.
I am glad Warren Truss is 'seeking' to make Oz a world leader in Flight Training, I have been seeking to win the Lotto for years and didn't think I had a chance til now.

Jabawocky
19th Aug 2010, 02:10
So any news from down Tassie way as to what where when and who is involved in this FORUM .............There must be a stunt being pulled somewhere soon folks, if its not today it has to be tomorrow.

My bet is today. Anyone know where Dick is today? he has gone quiet. Fair bet Mike India Foxtrot is not at Bankstown today.

Someone must know for sure.........

le Pingouin
19th Aug 2010, 05:15
Re. TASWAM - the radar it replaced gave considerably better coverage & there have been a few "interesting" occurrences.....

teresa green
19th Aug 2010, 08:55
If you want your kids and their kids up to their eyeballs in hock, then vote Labor, if you want the loony Greens running the senate, than vote Labor, at least the Libs have a reasonable history in economic management, so take the least of two evils, or vote for mickey mouse and waste your chance to have a say. If the woodpecker gets in, my remote is staying on mute for three years, she sounds like two tom cats fighting, can't handle it.:{

Wally Mk2
19th Aug 2010, 09:17
"TG" that about sums it up beautifully:ok:

AS you would know 'TG' there was a time around 21 yrs ago that a certain group of workers where advised to get their affairs in order due some interesting times ahead. Well that same advice should be taken now for ALL Aussies if 'Ms Baron' & her ilk get back in!!!! God 'elp Australia from that day on !

:ugh:

Wmk2

tasdevil.f27
19th Aug 2010, 09:48
So any news from down Tassie way as to what where when and who is involved in this FORUM .............There must be a stunt being pulled somewhere soon folks, if its not today it has to be tomorrow.

My bet is today. Anyone know where Dick is today? he has gone quiet. Fair bet Mike India Foxtrot is not at Bankstown today.

Someone must know for sure.........

Well Dick was supposed to grace us with his presence today, but alas the u/s aircraft gods shinned upon us and we were thankfully spared from him. :ok:
Haven't heard of anyone that knows of "these" forums. I'm sure Dick & his merry Tasmanian Liberal men were devastated at the loss of this important chance to scare the traveling public & score a few cheap votes.

Mr.Buzzy
19th Aug 2010, 11:18
How do we make Albanese stay away from aviation?

bbbbbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Jabawocky
19th Aug 2010, 12:15
Tassie Devil :D

You are kidding me! So there was a stunt in the making.......who did not see that coming. :rolleyes:

So MIF was MIA then........bugger.:}

So what is the scoop......or do we wait till tomorrow to see what should have been today.

Looks like a Duck, quacks like a Duck.......gotta be a Duck

Dick Smith
20th Aug 2010, 04:28
I would have said that no-one at AsA was game to tell Scurvy that his airspace was going to the Melbourne Centre so that a professional radar approach service could be provided.

He will be responsible for the circuit and the runway!

Then again they havn't been game to say the facts in the last 5 years so why now.

skybed
20th Aug 2010, 04:34
not liking the "wood pecker ' myself and alll the stuff ups but lets just take a minute and remember;
howard's (cronies)brought in the Oz/Nz open sky agreement opening the way for the 2 majors to drive down wages and conditions for pilots and aviation workers in Oz. the major benefactor was/is nz aviation. letting every major airline in and expand almost limitless their landing slots has increased competition which is good for customers but standards have slipped greatly.
no other country (with a domestic network) has such an open sky as Oz. the government (last and present) have not invested in aviation infrastructure.
the mad monk is going to cut even more from the aviation community. and if anyone thinks he is in favour of pilots/aviation community etc.,think again. 11 years in office and the never ending reform process is still going (even having the house of reps and senate under their control). just look at his potential aviation minister WT. he was an absolute joke last time and if anyone thinks there is a change, think again. gives Mark L statement of not voting at all reason to think about:ugh:

Capn Bloggs
20th Aug 2010, 04:42
He will be responsible for the circuit and the runway!

As if he couldn't have kept those two jets apart. Get real, Dick. Thousands of dollars to provide a radar approach service in the dead of night to a towered airport for TWO aircraft. ATC separation and MSAWS from the tower.

Just keep the tower open and get off your E agenda. :=