PDA

View Full Version : CAA Class one medical - eye floaters

George737-800
17th Aug 2010, 23:30
Hello all,
My main ambition in life is to be an airline pilot; however, since May of last year I have gone to develop 4-5 small to medium sized floaters in my left eye. I am getting extremely concerned as I don't want this to fail my medical exam- I am only 16 at the moment and I really don't want a problem which usually affects people whom are older to destroy my chances of getting a career as an airline pilot (I must add I am also mildly Myopic - which is most likely why I have floaters).

Thanks for taking your time to read this,

George737-800 :ok:

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Aug 2010, 06:43
I've had floaters since I was a kid - I'm now 66. They had no effect on my medical; in fact I don't think the matter was ever discussed. Some people have them, others don't. They never affected my vision, except occasionally when I was rifle shooting!

If floaters suddenly appear or there is a marked sudden change in vision, or flashing lights in your eye and/or a "curtain" blocking part of your vision you must get them checked by the eye casualty at the local hospital. A year or so ago I suddenly developed a large number of floaters in one eye which was diagnosed (within an hour!) as PVD - something which afflicts many people of my age. The floaters gradually disappear but never affected my vision and I'm sure that if I was still a licence holder I would pass my medical with no problem.

Get it checked by a quack...

George737-800
18th Aug 2010, 11:15
Thank you very much! That was very reassuring. I am also wondering would it be advisable to maybe tell you the examiner you have floaters or would this not be such a good idea?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
18th Aug 2010, 12:16
You could mention it, but I very strongly suspect that he/she would dismiss it. You could always seek reassurance by belling the medics at Gatwick....

George737-800
20th Aug 2010, 16:56
Okay thanks, I can only presume if one's floaters are bad enough to impair vision they would disqualify you?

GolfLima
20th Aug 2010, 22:13
I have floaters as well in both eyes with a JAA Class 1/2 (22yrs old here - have been checked by an Opthalmologist)... was never picked up on and when I offered to note it on the form it was dismissed.

They're a right pain in a backside but thankfully aren't considered important enough on medical issue :}

I've always thought if it gets to a point where you know its affecting your flying ability then it may be time to call it a day.

I've had them for a couple of years now but have got fairly used to them to a point where if I don't think about them I can go the whole day without noticing.

You're A-OK, skys the limit and all that :ok:

George737-800
20th Aug 2010, 22:38
Excellent, thank you very much!

Thanks to both you and HeathrowDirector; I feel a lot more confident now!