PDA

View Full Version : Chrome infiltration.

G-CPTN
17th Aug 2010, 21:03
Shortly after downloading Adobe Flash, I have been getting the following message:-
A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.
Script: chrome://global/content/bindings/general.xml:0I've only got Firefox working (ie nothing else, no IE - Task Manager doesn't find anything else under 'Applications').

I've searched the HD for 'chrome' - nothing found (no items match your search).

Under Task Manager 'Processes' there are six 'consent.exe' entries.

What can I do? I want rid of Chrome and anything associated with it (and I'm fed up with having to click on this blessed 'consent' box (assuming that is what is asking about the script).

(Oh, and Adobe Installer wanted me to accept McAfee Security Scan Plus - which has already infiltrated itself through an earlier (I presume) download from Adobe. I didn't consciously seek that out.
There was another 'toolbar' that I was 'offered' as part of an Adobe download - which I also declined.

I do hate it when you get things forced on you.)

Edited to add:-
Attempts to 'End process' 'consent.exe' returns 'access is denied' message in Task Manager.

jimtherev
17th Aug 2010, 22:57
Have you tried running CCleaner & seeing if it highlights any funnies?

Then done a search in RegEdit for Chrome? Is it a sub-something of something else?

Bushfiva
18th Aug 2010, 00:38
A chrome URL is part of Firefox, it's not a mysterious rogue extra that's been installed. Firefox' interface uses XUL files and Javascript to call up elements. So putting "chrome : / / browser/ content/ preferences/ preferences.xul" in the address bar brings up the preferences menu. It's the same result as if you navigated to the preferences menu via the menu bar.

G-CPTN
18th Aug 2010, 08:42
Thanks, Bushfiva - I can temper my paranoia . . .