PDA

View Full Version : The TSA triumphs again

PAXboy
17th Aug 2010, 13:47
This is good for a laugh. Whilst the pax obviously did a stupid thing - the TSA did not spot anything.

BBC News - Rochdale man 'took 200 fireworks on US plane' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-10996471)

They were very small 'bangers' but he also had a cigarette lighter. :hmm:

L'aviateur
17th Aug 2010, 21:13
Now I wonder how smooth his future trips to the USA will be...

raffele
17th Aug 2010, 23:07
Now I wonder how smooth his future trips to the USA will be...

Good point, however I'm wondering how smooth trying to leave the USA will be given this incident occurred on their soil with a passenger flying out.

PaperTiger
17th Aug 2010, 23:32
Cigarette lighters are not banned by the TSA.

PAXboy
18th Aug 2010, 07:48
Thanks PT, I did not know that. I guess it falls into the category 'It can happen' but it does go to show that 'accident' is just as likely as 'deliberate'. Or, as it is sometimes known in the UK "The Cøck Up Theory of Life" :p

fincastle84
18th Aug 2010, 09:24
Cigarette lighters are not banned by the TSA.

Cigarette lighters are not banned in the UK either. See below for the CAA rules.

Safety matches (one small packet) or a cigarette lighter
that does not contain unabsorbed liquid fuel, other than liquefied gas, intended for use by an individual when carried on the person.
Lighter fuel and lighter refills are not permitted on one’s person or in checked or carry-on baggage.

Note:
"Strike anywhere" matches are forbidden for air transport

Sadly I used to instruct Dangerous Goods; well someone has to.:*

PaperTiger
18th Aug 2010, 14:11
PAXboy, you're correct that for a while lighters were banned as a result of two anti-tobacco US congressmen pushing a bill through. The TSA, to their credit, never supported the ban although they did enforce it until it quietly went away in 2007.

PAXboy
18th Aug 2010, 15:49
Thanks PT and a special to fincastle84, glad to see that you haven't forgotten anything!

I know that the fireworks thing could happen ANYWHERE in the world but I thought it worth reminding folks of the futility of much of what goes on.

fincastle84
18th Aug 2010, 16:05
and a special to fincastle84, glad to see that you haven't forgotten anything!

Blimey, I'm not that sad that I still remember that stuff, unless, of course, I'm in the middle of a nightmare!:eek:

The info was lifted from the BA website. They have a downloadable copy straight out of the latest DG manual.