PDA

View Full Version : Websites changing their look.

SpringHeeledJack
17th Aug 2010, 12:23
I don't know if it is just me, getting older, liking things to stay the same or whatever, but in the last few months almost three-quarters of the websites that i regularly visit have changed their 'look', from layout to text/font/colours etc and i have to say that in most cases i find my sensibilities are unappreciative to these changes.

An example (well known) would be the BBC news website BBC News - Home (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/) which has turned itself inside out and upside down in the last while. However, this has also happened on 2 separate e-mail providers, whereby ALL the function buttons are in completely different places than before and several other mainstream sites.....Perhaps they're all colluding to keep me on the back foot ? However, refreshingly i also visit a website that looks like it hasn't been updated since 1990 :}

SHJ

tony draper
17th Aug 2010, 12:31
Tiz not a new phenomenon, the public library in my town used to do it on a regular basis,one would if one were a regular visitor get to know where all the books on a particular subjects lurked on the shelves, then go in one day to find every book in the place had been moved to different shelves,once asked as to why this was done but recieved no answer but a shoulder shrug.
:(

Davaar
17th Aug 2010, 12:42
No need to inquire further nor to blame the French. For once these latter are guiltless.

Women! There's the answer! Librarians are women and women have a genetic impulse every Spring or Autumn or whichever the relevant season to move all the furniture, trees in the garden, and other mobilia within reach. It is beyond their control, programmed, an Imperative they must Obey.

SpringHeeledJack
17th Aug 2010, 12:56
One realises that things change, tis the nature of life, but with things 'virtual' if it isn't broke etc... I've had a running theme with products in my life. As soon as an affection is developed for a product, be it footwear, food or dare i say grooming products :eek: then the bl00dy manufacturers either a) discontinued it b) changed the look and feel (and price) or c) (before internet) stopped distributing said product in the territory that i was living..... :ugh:

But back to the internet, surely the ladeez of the world couldn't have co-ordinated their urges to change at around the same time....surely ?

SHJ

Groundloop
17th Aug 2010, 12:58
It's the "Tesco Syndrome". Once you finally know where everything is - move it around to keep you on your toes.

radeng
17th Aug 2010, 12:59
It may be me just getting old and crotchety, but every time a website is 'improved', 'updated', 'revised' etc, it seems harder to find what you want while it responds more slowly.

I certainly do not like the new BBC News.

27mm
17th Aug 2010, 13:33
Right on, Radeng; while we're talking of the new BBC page, please tell me how to get local news and weather - used to be simple on the old page, but can't find it anywhere now.....

MagnusP
17th Aug 2010, 13:49
27mm: You can select on the red bar just above the breaking news or, if you set your location, you get a "My News & Weather Location" box further down the page, next to the market news. I quite like the new pages.

G-CPTN
17th Aug 2010, 14:38
The BBC News website is a confusing mess since they redesigned it!

I used to visit it regularly every day, now I hardly ever do . . .