PDA

View Full Version : No Air Con On The Ground At EY

Chuck Y
16th Aug 2010, 18:45
Within the last few months both myself, family & friends have travelled numerous times with EY & there has been no(& I mean zero) air conditioning whilst on the ground??? A couple of times we have been told byt crew that this is a cost cutting measure!!! Sounds a bit over the top, even for JH to reach his bottom line.
What's going on?

xerox25
16th Aug 2010, 23:48
cost cutting measure :mad:

ashlea
17th Aug 2010, 15:23
I've seen other crew encourage passengers to mention this in a feedback form.. it can get really (really) uncomfortable during the day. The windows in the cabin are closed to keep direct sun out but it's still obviously like a furnace. Apparently the procedure is that the A/C will only kick in once the 2nd engine is on.

15 minutes or so after takeoff is more the temp is fine, as for for the hour or more for boarding and checks.. different story :bored:

dabssa
17th Aug 2010, 18:32
Surely that's not in Abu Dhabi??? Wouldn't it be 50c inside during the day?

puppet-master
17th Aug 2010, 19:30
Heard it's the latest sauna system EY has introduce. :D It's Aussie technology :cool:. We love it. I have lost a few pounds:confused:

Jetjock330
17th Aug 2010, 21:21
An email came out stating that if the cooling was insufficient, you may start the APU. Currently the APU may be started, unless it is not working.

Quote"
Exceptions:

üAirport specific local requirements governing APU usage must be adhered to at all times

üIn the event that weather conditions require the cabin to be air-conditioned one of the following options will apply;

oFirst option – request both GPU and air-conditioning
oSecond option – run aircraft APU (Auxiliary Power Unit)

" end quote.

Use the second option!!!!!!!!!!! no problem!

shinobi1
18th Aug 2010, 00:51
PFFFT! 50° on the outside maybe! Without conditioned air, it will always be over 100° minimum on the inside.
As engineers, we have to follow procedures as to when the APU can be started. Until then, we fry as we work. :ugh:
Spare a thought for the groundcrew (Cleaners, caterers, engineers etc) that have to work in these conditions and try to cool the aircraft down before you arrive. :ok:

Shinobi

Mister Warning
18th Aug 2010, 04:39
False economy - more efficient to keep the cabin cool after a flight than try to cool it from 50c to survivable temps just before boarding. Trying to save 200kg of fuel before burning 120000kg on the flight.... :ugh:

atuk
18th Aug 2010, 05:28
This is what happen when airlines are run by incompetant morons, coming up with those idiotic policies in SUMMER?? You guys are destroying the very brand that was built for the last 6-7 years!!
We are losing customers because of this policy.....fuel savings????

More like penny wise pound foolish!!

Jetjock330
18th Aug 2010, 06:43
ATUK,
This is what happen when airlines are run by incompetant morons, coming up with those idiotic policies in SUMMER??Are you referring to the pilots who do not understand an email dd 03 June 2010, from CP777 to further make it more clear that you are not limited to ground air in the summer in Abu Dhabi???? The same principle applies to HF, primary frequency is xxx and secondary frequency is xxx. It the first doesn't work try the secondary frequency and same applies to Abu Dhabi with ground air or APU. First option is and this remains for throughout the year, secondary option is APU which is for exceptional "weather conditions"!

Again I quote "

Exceptions:

üAirport specific local requirements governing APU usage must be adhered to at all times

üIn the event that weather conditions require the cabin to be air-conditioned one of the following options will apply;

oFirst option – request both GPU and air-conditioning
oSecond option – run aircraft APU (Auxiliary Power Unit)

"end quote.

Which part of the email do you not understand, and I will endeavor to make it more clearer for you? ThEY don't issue a summer email and a winter email. This email is applied and used for all year round, for all airports and to try cover for all weather conditions. Read your email and a maybe this topic would not exist.

APU is allowed to be started at any time to cool cabin. Should an airport be cool enough where you are able to comply with ground air, then you may start the APU 15 minutes before push. (this is not applicable to Abu Dhabi with it's exceptional weather!!!)

Jetjock330
18th Aug 2010, 07:43
Mathiew,
Your point is taken and ADAT have their policy, although I have personally seen an email instruction from ADAT to their engineers dd 20 or 21st July that APU's should left on to run the aircon. I just so happened to see this email with my own eyes come in on a manager pilot Blackberry.

We board as crew 1 hour before push back and you may start your APU to begin cooling immediately to get the temp down if it is too hot, which I am well aware of. This is the point about the topic, you may use APU to cool the cabin as required for exceptional weather.

As for the engineers, maybe they can confirm this email??? at or around this date mentioned.

puppet-master
18th Aug 2010, 10:56
What is "Exceptional Weather" in AUH during the summer. There's nothing exceptional. It's bloody normal to have temp hovering around 40+. Etihad Airways as a Premium Airline what a joke:confused:

mideastflyer
18th Aug 2010, 17:36
Guys

There is something called comman sense. If the cabin is too hot use the APU. Anyway since the clarification email came out every flight i have done the APU has always been on when we board 1 hour before STD.