PDA

View Full Version : Early starts after days off : cabin crew (JAR OPS)

Teddy Robinson
16th Aug 2010, 02:30
An invitation to those with proper knowledge of rostering matters :

previous airline would/ could not roster a start earlier than 06:00 following a day off, argument being that to do so would affect the day off itself.

Present airline regularly rosters 05:20 report following a day off.

If I'm going to challenge this, I need to verbatim that this is not correct.

Thanks in advance .. this is the place to ask !

TR

kotakota
16th Aug 2010, 02:56
CAP 371 from the CAA is freely downloadable from their website .

However , I have pasted 2 of the relevant paragraphs below. If you are reporting at 0520 , then you have had less than 8 hours free between 2200 and 0800 local , which means that has not constituted a 'Local Night '
Without 2 Local Nights , a day is NOT a DAY OFF.
If you report at 0600 , you have had your local night.
This also applies if a Flying Duty extends to even 1 minute past midnight before a Day Off ( less than 8 hours before 0800 , so that cannot be called a Local Night either ). That will now become a Rest Day and another Day Off will have to be awarded.
Good luck , remember to use the CAA phrase ' for the avoidance of Crew Fatigue ' !!

------------------------------------------------------

4) 'Days Off'
Periods available for leisure and relaxation free from all duties. A single day off shall
include 2 local nights. Consecutive days off shall include a further local night for each
additional consecutive day off. A rest period may be included as part of a day off.

--------------------------------------------------------

10) 'Local Night'
A period of 8 hours falling between 2200 and 0800 hours local time.

boredcounter
16th Aug 2010, 03:10
As far as I know a 'Day Off' requires 2 local nights.

A 'Local Night' is any 8 hour period, between the hours of 22-0800 Local.

Therefore you can finish @ say 2359 'Local Time' Tuesday and achieve one 'Local Night' by 0800 'Local Time' Wednesday Morning. 2200-0600 'Local Time' Wesnesday night, Thursday mornining is the the earliest available second 'Local Night'. Making 0600 'Local Time' the earliest report after a Day Off.

It will all be in your Ops Manuals, Part A section 7. (Definitions)

That said, two possibles spring straight to mind. If your rosters are published in UTC, 0520 may be legal, being 0620 'Local Time', (sorry, you do not say where you are or the time of year).

It may be a non-legally required 'day-off' in which case, it needs renaming on the roster, i.e. 'Rest Day' etc

Hope it helps,

Bored

No_Speed_Restriction
16th Aug 2010, 04:28
Can someone please comment on this one: after my 2 days off I'm usually rostered for a 0300z 10 hour sby. Is this legal?

babotika
16th Aug 2010, 06:23
I should think it isn't for the reasons posted above...

S.

Chris Gains
16th Aug 2010, 06:48
No Speed Restriction
The earliest you can be rostered after a Day Off is 0600L be that a SBY or a duty. You also have to remember that a single day off must consist of a minimum of 34 Hours free of duty (A standby is considered a duty) and 2 days off must consist of 54 hours free of duty......

Hope this helps

CG

editied for carp spelling!!!

Denti
16th Aug 2010, 08:34
EU OPS defines a single day off as a day with two local nights, a local night requires a period of rest of 8 hours between 2200 and 0800 local.

EU-OPS does not require a certain amount of days to be off days, the only requirement is a weekle rest period of 36 hours including two local nights, but if that rest period is longer than 40 hours the second local night may start at 2000 local, two hours earlier than normal. Time between two weekly rest periods can not be longer than 7 days (168 hours), which means that you can have rostered work of 7 days straight. In sum all you need in a week is two local nights in one rest period of more than 40 hours with one of them starting at 2000 allowing a 0400 reporting time the next day or two normal local nights with a rest period of less than 40 hours but more than 36.

Additional days off are defined as local days in EU-OPS which is a time period of 24 hours starting at 0000 local time, if only one of them is rostered you need the two local nights again as it is a single day free of duty, however if two of those are rostered you do not if they are additional to a weekly rest period as they are not single days off anymore.

In any case local authorities might require more than EU-OPS does so you need to check those as well.

No_Speed_Restriction
16th Aug 2010, 09:35
Chris,

Does the 0600L start also stand true even if you've just come off a long period of leave (not just 2 days off).