PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire over Surrey

Hobo
15th Aug 2010, 20:20
Today, a Spitfire and Hurricane flew over The Air Forces Memorial (http://www.cwgc.org/admin/files/cwgc_runnymede.pdf), Runnymede at exactly at 2pm at the start of a special service to mark the 70th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. They approached from the East then returned from the West and then flew off to the South towards Chertsey. I saw them briefly through the trees, very low, say 150', but heard the wonderful sound of two merlins for about 5 minutes.....

bearfoil
15th Aug 2010, 20:38
Best designed a/c, Spitfire

Best auto (tie) The "E" type, and the XK150

best Land speed record machine, Bluebird

(The P-51 was a muscle 'car', and is disqualified, except for the thrum of its Merlin)

How's that, from a Yank, Hobo?

tinpis
15th Aug 2010, 20:49
From the country that gave you the Spitfire :p

http://www.canevet.com/IMG/jpg/TriumphMayflower01.jpg

Heatseeker
18th Aug 2010, 09:43
Was at my brothers place in Tonbridge a few years ago when I heard a rather familiar sound. I looked round and there was a Spitfire and a Hurricane in close formation heading towards where Biggin Hill is. Ahhhhhhh :ok::ok::ok:

mtoroshanga
18th Aug 2010, 10:19
What about the Hunter?

MadsDad
18th Aug 2010, 12:26
Pretty body but that's about it

Triumph Mayflower. Aluminium body, did have a slight problem with corrosion around the steel bolts used to fix the body panel. Teacher at my secondary school had one and bits were constantly falling of (I remember one of the wings fell off while he was driving up the school drive one morning).

Ancient Observer
18th Aug 2010, 12:35
My dad had one of them.
Body and interior were fine, but the engine was a disaster. A 1277cc 38bhp side-valve engine to carry all that car and 4 people.
I think that 4 people farting would have accelerated faster.
Unfortunately there were no engines one could drop in to make the Mayflower go faster - and if there had been, the truly average road holding and body roll problems would have led to evn more crashes.

At least with the split windscreen side-valve Moggies of the time, better engines could just be dropped in, once they became available, (although transmission shafts sometimes needed some creative engineering).

Loose rivets
18th Aug 2010, 16:36
One of my greatest memories: Lovely early morning over the Norfolk countryside. Working Colt. They told me to look to my port quarter. Stunning! A Spitfire had formated on me and just hung there against those green and yellow fields for a few moments. Pure magic.

Gainesy
18th Aug 2010, 17:30
I think the sound of a Shacklebomber takes some beating, though I heard a Fairchild Argus once, that was pretty good. And the Bear. Mr Tupolev built some terrific aeroplanes.

G-CPTN
18th Aug 2010, 17:39
Agree about the Shacklebomber. I've never heard a Bear, but we do get the occasional Russian heavy prop-transport that seems to tear the sky apart.

tinpis
18th Aug 2010, 22:12
Top airyplane noise...
Merchantman window rattler. :ok:

Thems later Spits had a funny sound with the turbo on the Griffon I think it was.
Bally claustrophobic things, the chaps hardly had room to swing a hip flask what?
The yank machines on the other hand had cigar lighters and somewhere to stash a whole box of King Teds

G-CPTN
18th Aug 2010, 22:51
Indeed, the Griffon growls whereas the Merlin sings (IMO) . . .

9Vy7UgCwEkk

e_JxWfNF5xA