PDA

View Full Version : emergency landing at gatwick

itspaul
15th Aug 2010, 11:29
A flight out of manchester this morning to turkey has made an emergency landing at gatwick anyone else any news ?

salisbury
15th Aug 2010, 12:53
Packaging in oven !!

BBC News - Smoke forces jet to make emergency landing at Gatwick (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-10979241)

crippen
15th Aug 2010, 13:12
Incident: Thomas Cook B763 over North Sea on Aug 15th 2010, unruly oven A Thomas Cook Boeing 767-300, registration G-DAJC performing flight MT-975K from Manchester,EN (UK) to Dalaman (Turkey) with 320 passengers, was enroute at FL370 overhead the North Sea about 45nm west of Amsterdam (Netherlands) when smoke began to emanate from a galley prompting the crew to divert to London Gatwick,EN (UK). Galley power was disconnected and the smoke dissipated. The airplane landed safely in Gatwick about 30 minutes later.

The airline reported that packaging material within a galley oven had begun smoking. The airplane was released back to flight and returned to Manchester for a crew change landing in Manchester 6.5 hours after departure. The airplane will subsequently resume the journey to Dalaman.

lomapaseo
15th Aug 2010, 14:06
What are example of packaging materials inside an oven.

is that like me using my microwave to reheat meals in unapproved containers?

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Aug 2010, 14:18
Emergency landing?? I think not. 45 miles from Amsterdam, yet he diverts to Gatwick - 180 miles away...??

B756Driver
15th Aug 2010, 16:56
HEATHROW DIRECTOR, While I fully respect your experience in Air Traffic.

45 Miles from Amsterdam is very close to Top of Descent for a controlled straight in approach into London Gatwick 26L in a Boeing 767-300 with winglets (very good glider). Little time is saved by a spiral approach into Amsterdam. 45 miles is not sufficient to lose 37000ft with maybe a possible tailwind?

:ok:

DiCampo
15th Aug 2010, 17:04
Aircraft descenced pretty fast though, quite a bit faster than I'm used to seeing on normal Gatwick inbounds.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
15th Aug 2010, 17:05
OK point taken. Lucky it didn't seriously catch fire on the way!

KBPsen
15th Aug 2010, 17:17
What are example of packaging materials inside an oven.

Probably someone heating buns without the oven insert. Tends to cause the bun bag getting caught in the fan.

390cruise
15th Aug 2010, 18:08
Oven fire (well smoke from packing materials anyway) power off, smoke dissipated.............well one could consider continuing to destination......?

or

Divertion and possible overweight landing....?

Here to prevoke thought !!

fmgc
15th Aug 2010, 18:13
Aircraft descenced pretty fast though, quite a bit faster than I'm used to seeing on normal Gatwick inbounds.

If you suspect that you might be on fire you will get down as quick as possible then you have many more quick options open to you to chuck it on the ground.

well one could consider continuing to destination

I wouldn't!! Nobody should be criticised for the decision to get it down, and somewhere you have an engineering base would make sense if you can.

B756Driver
15th Aug 2010, 18:38
The B767 on a Manchester > Dalaman is usually under MLM (Max Landing Mass) during take off from Manchester. The aircraft is designed for long haul. You can even do round trip fuel on the B767 MAN/DLM/MAN. In a round trip fuel situation it would be over MLM (Max landing mass).

:)

Prober
15th Aug 2010, 18:58
I have seen it a few times and I teach it in the sim: was it raining when the crew got on?
I am sure someone will come up with the connection. I hope!!:bored::confused:

HXdave
15th Aug 2010, 19:02
as far as i can read into this, it was not an 'Emergency Landing'. in fact, the quote from TCX in the newspaper states A spokesman for the firm said the aircraft landed at Gatwick at about 0840 BST as a precautiony measure and all the people were taken off..

so it was a precautionary landing, thus being able to land where they preferred, not where they 'Had To'.

come on Ppruneers, lets not get as bad as the media in hyping up & sensationalisation of non events..........

KBPsen
15th Aug 2010, 19:02
was it raining when the crew got on?

Have also seen a pair of brown shoes that didn't start out that colour.

latetonite
16th Aug 2010, 04:25
If you have an emergency with smoke, your MLW is the least of your concerns..

crewmeal
16th Aug 2010, 05:29
Please please please don't tell the Daily Mail or we'll see headlines like 'fire rages on aircraft as horrified passengers look on'

Good for the crew on a wise decision to divert to LGW where I'm sure TC have very good engineering facilities.

calypso
16th Aug 2010, 07:01
Heathrow Director you are not far wrong. Over 30 minutes is no emergency landing. It is true that a "normal" descent will take 120 miles or so but if you go for it it will take 80ish and the aim s to land within 15 minutes.

16th Aug 2010, 07:18
pilot sounded worried enough when he spoke to us

blue up
16th Aug 2010, 09:20
Whilst not wanting to feed the frenzy of journalistic excess that often accompanies such events, I'd suggest the following as a source of info for anyone who pilots aircraft of ANY size, particularly the "Smoke for thought" section.

On-Board Fires (http://www.airborne.org/flying/forum3.htm#History) and click on 'History of In-Flight Fires'

Despite my suggestions/complaints, our Boeing QRH for cockpit fire/smoke is still printed in small type, thus rendering it somewhat useless in thick smoke. In an era when we see reductions in recall items I see this particular checklist as being one that you might want to be able to action from memory.

12 yrs 757/767, 12,500 hrs

Basil
16th Aug 2010, 11:38
I posted the following last year:
Some time ago a colleague had smoke and commenced descent for immediate landing.
Smoke cleared but he continued for landing.
Afterwards, he seemed to me to be subjected to some adverse criticism for not re-assessing and continuing flight.
I have no doubt whatsoever that he made the correct decision.
It's easy to say, and it's an oldie, but in that situation if there's any doubt then there's no doubt.

olivermbs
16th Aug 2010, 11:51
Thomas Cook were having problems with the new meal packaging, so they went back to the old one in July. Very odd.

RAT 5
16th Aug 2010, 11:55
Perhaps someone in the know, on the inside, perhaps even the crew, could tell us what action the C/A's took to put out this fire. Was it meal packaging and not electrical? If so, and the fire was extinguished and the object islolated, and the oven disconnected, why return. What would they have done mid-Atlantic? As I've just done my SEP recurrent and Fire recurrent I'd be interested to know if what I'd been taught really works, or is it just theoretical blah blah.

beamender99
16th Aug 2010, 12:50
A spokesman for West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said the smoke had stopped by the time the aircraft had landed, and no-one was injured.

He added: "The smoke had stopped when the plane landed, because on board they had used six fire extinguishers to put it out.

"Everyone was ok and no one was injured."
Plane makes emergency landing at Gatwick - Crawley Observer (http://www.crawleyobserver.co.uk/news/Plane-makes-emergency-landing-at.6475937.jp)

learjet50
17th Aug 2010, 21:14
I get really pissed off with these comments by the IFIBA Brigades

If I haad been there I would haveThis

The Crew acted in a Proffesional manner as they have been trained to do

It does not matter where they went/How they got there They got the A/C on the ground NO harm to the A/C // PAX //Crew

So lets give this matter the end now before the Idiots in the Press make another Mountain of an event which was dealt with in a Proffesional manner

pattern_is_full
17th Aug 2010, 21:38
Even if a fire appears to be extinguished, there is always the chance that there is a hidden hot spot that can flare up again. Or that the apparent cause, as estimated by flight/cabin crew (well-trained - but not engineers) was just a symptom masking some other underlying problem or failure.

So you still land as soon as practicable.

Over the Atlantic - you also land as soon as practicable. "As soon as practicable" will take longer, and may involve more calculations - including the choice of "ditch in uncertain conditions vs. fall out of the sky in flames in certainty."

It seems like some people want to micromanage these events (after the fact) and parse the rules and options, or write new ones.

Any landing you walk away from is a good one. Any in-flight fire that is resolved with no casualties was resolved correctly.

spanish no fly
18th Aug 2010, 08:41
Surely, to my untrained personage with regards to MELs, if the CAs had used 6 extinguishers to contain the fire, that in itself would have necessitated a landing in order to replenish safety equipment? (Sorry about the long sentence).

McBruce
18th Aug 2010, 10:43
One must remember the Swiss aircraft that had an electrical fire and decided to dump fuel for max landing considerations... even a situation that appears to be under control can spiral in the matter of a couple of minutes, especially when fire/smoke is involved.

The crew were probably highly familiar with Gatwick and decided this was the better option given their FL and distance.

cheekychappie
18th Aug 2010, 10:59
I remember the Swiss incident, wasn't that down to a new entertainment system, crew made pan calls and from the ground it all seemed under control, then comm's went as the fire took hold at a rapid pace.

As said before, if there is any doubt there is no doubt, get down as quick as possible