PDA

View Full Version : Eye test reveals a retinal mole. Anyone else had one of these?

aviate1138
14th Aug 2010, 16:44
I am looking at a digital picture of my right retina. There is a dark oval area [quite small] which my optician said needs looking at. A retinal mole. I do have a few moles about my body but not hundreds of them.

Anyone else had this diagnosed? I think Choroidal Nevus is the medical term.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
14th Aug 2010, 17:23
My wife had her annual eye test at Boots a couple of years ago and they offered to take pics of her retina. The opthalmologist said she was concerned about a dark spot on the retina and some months later came a summons to attend the eye clinic. After a really thorough examination the consultant assured my wife that it was just a change in the pigmentation, absolutely nothing to worry about and discharged her immediately.

I hope your problem proves to be equally simple.

Tigh Wire
14th Aug 2010, 17:34
I've got one. It was detected by my Optician during a routine eye test .I was referred for further tests as a precaution. I had no symptoms noticeable to myself. The check procedure consists of an eye examination and a scan to determine the size & thickness of the mark. The consultant inspects these results and usually asks for a return visit in 6 months. The scan results are compared and any changes noted. In my case the mark was described to me as fuzzy edged ,thin and stable and pronounced harmless by the consultant. From what I gathered during my visits this is the most common result by far. My experience was in the UK NHS system. First class all round. Procedures could differ elsewhere.

Dodo56
17th Aug 2010, 11:29
I also had a nevus detected during my last eye test. However the optician did not consider it significant enough to warrant further tests. Something to keep an "eye" on though.

A nevus is basically a freckle, and like freckles our body tends to develop more as we age. So not necessarily something to worry about, just listen to the healthcare professionals.

obgraham
18th Aug 2010, 06:43
Yeh, I'm with everyone else here:

Off to an ophthalmologist with you, for a full dilated exam, both eyes. Follow his/her recommendations. Likely totally insignificant, but there are some other less pleasant things that it could be.

Graham MD (not an eye guy, though!)