PDA

View Full Version : Bad Pool Header W7

dazdaz1
14th Aug 2010, 16:32
Been getting the blue screen. Information/text on the blue screen is not displayed long enough to read, but at he top I made out text.... "Bad Pool Header".
Having done a Google on this, there are a lot of suggestions and fixes. The majority suggest that it's a corruption in the registry and offer links to software which will check my registry. Not too keen on that:confused: I would appreciate your suggestions on this problem. Running Avast. I did manage to gain information from the event log.......

BC code 19
Bcp1 0000020
Bcp2 B28AAAEO
Bcp3 B28AAE88
Bcp4 0A750408

Plus a link to the mini dump file, but could not open it.

D1

bnt
14th Aug 2010, 19:34
I did some searching at Microsoft Support, and the information seems to point to device drivers of some sort, often when something is plugged in. Getting an exact diagnosis would require dump analysis etc. but start by updating everything you can think of and unplugging any unnecessary devices. Don't go downloading and running anything, except directly from Microsoft.

green granite
14th Aug 2010, 20:13
try reading this: Bad Pool Header in Windows Vista (http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/thread/e289589d-ca24-4d6b-9eda-9b0473af0975)

I know it's for vista but W7 is similar.

Tarq57
15th Aug 2010, 02:22
I'm (still) somewhat suspicious that the resident protection in Spybot is helping to cause this.
Some users have no problem reported when this is active, with Avast installed. I've read of a few that have.

dazdaz1
15th Aug 2010, 08:03
Thought about spybot, uninstalled it a few days ago. I'll try uninstalling Avast and see how it goes.

The thing is, some days the blue screen will show after a few minutes after boot up and other maybe after an hour or so, the other day I was on the web for about 5 hours with no blue screen.

Thanks for replies
D1

Mike-Bracknell
15th Aug 2010, 19:10
- Right-click "Computer" in your start menu
- Choose "Properties"
- Click "Advanced System Settings"
- Click the "Settings" button against "Startup and Recovery"
- Untick the "automatically restart" tickbox
- Ensure "Kernel memory dump" is selected (we may need to change this to 'full memory dump' later, but go with this for now).

Now, when you get your next BSOD, you can note down all the details properly.

You could also download this: Blue screen of death (STOP error) information in dump files. (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html)
which would show the BSOD from the aforementioned dump.

Once we know exactly what the BSOD says, we can advise more.

dazdaz1
17th Aug 2010, 16:48
It's a memory problem..Being collected Thur, from Tech Guys/Cu%%ys (Advent Roma 2001).

Needed a lappy, so have just bought a Sa%sung:hmm: Thanks for all your replies.

D1

edited to comply with rules.