PDA

View Full Version : A warning for all Potential Pilots

Glugaball
13th Aug 2010, 20:52
Hey guys i have read an article that was posted in my local newspaper about a wannabe pilot being scammed for quite a large sum of money. I therefore wish to share this information with you all so you can avoid getting yourselfs into deep trouble in the future. It's a good read

Pilot loses £15,000 after airline collapses | (http://www.thisisstaffordshire.co.uk/news/article-1953487-detail/article.html)

So guys what do you think about this story? What can we do to avoid the same trap?

Thanks for reading

The Old Fat One
13th Aug 2010, 21:23
I vaguely remember seeing a program about a 19 year old who set up an "airline" and it would have been about 2006. I recall he got some investors to stump a considerable amount of dosh and promptly went out and bought himself an expensive watch. Not sure if it is the same guy who is responsible for this mess??????

How to avoid this sort of thing....due diligence and caveat emptor.

Callsign Kilo
13th Aug 2010, 21:42
So what do you think of this story?

The sad part of this story is that his parents are short of 120K and have lost all of their savings, the equity in their property and their future ability to secure credit. It's an ever so common story.

What can we do to avoid the same trap?

Don't be so bloody naive! Handing over 15K to some adolescent spouting a load of bullsh1t about starting a Jetstream 31 operation in the middle of the biggest global recession imaginable is plain stupid! The fact that his initial start up had went tits up after only 6 weeks, combined with Varsity being nothing more than a business plan should have had alarm bells ringing. Solid credentials my ass! It of course doesn't condone the fact that the guy was conned; that was deplorable. However don't be lacking in basic judgement. I'm not trying to harsh or getting any satisfaction by maybe appearing to rub his nose in it, but a little common sense shouldn't be that hard to find. Even the fact that he has applied to Ryanair knowing that he can't afford it.........WHY, WHY, WHY?

MIKECR
13th Aug 2010, 22:06
The story of Varsity Express and Mr Halstead is old news. The saga has been well discussed elsewhere on pprune. There has also been similar press articles from other unfortunate victims. The worrying fact is that Mr H would appear to be involved in another so called start up venture in recent months. Plenty info elsewhere on pprune about it.

Nearly There
14th Aug 2010, 17:51
How can a fATPL cost £120K......:eek:

Spike001
14th Aug 2010, 18:31
Old news. If this pilot bothered to do thorough research in the first place, knowing that this guy has had other airlines that went bust, anyone with a bit of common sense would have stayed away and not got involved.

So how to avoid this like this... research and use common sense and don't be so desperate, especially when the director has such a bad history. :ugh:

GearDownFlaps
14th Aug 2010, 18:48
Nearly there , an integrated course , and a job with ryanscare wouldnt see much change from that :}

v6g
14th Aug 2010, 23:17
Fools and their parents/grandparents money are so easily parted.

The Old Fat One
17th Aug 2010, 20:11
Old news. If this pilot bothered to do thorough research in the first place, knowing that this guy has had other airlines that went bust, anyone with a bit of common sense would have stayed away and not got involved.

So how to avoid this like this... research and use common sense and don't be so desperate, especially when the director has such a bad history.

Quite so and my initial reaction too. however I was interested enough to have a dig around on Pprune and lots of other stuff on the internet about the dude in question, I am now minded to post again.

This guy, and his ilk, are a particularly "morals free" type of human and he has plenty of previous at manipulating technology to his ends. The thread on the rumour forum makes for interesting reading, especially the posts which are supportive of his efforts. Plently of people (not just wannabees) don't know this guy from Adam, and he knows how to keep it that way.

Pprune can perform a useful service by keeping track on this chap and posting his ventures as they appear - it might just stop other unfortunates losing their dosh. I speak as a very cautious and experienced businessman who has been caught by just such a person, to the cost of my business and the subsequent loss of two peoples jobs.

He has no leverage now against the site or any posters (nor ever should have) since his ventures are a matter of public record and police investigation.