PDA

View Full Version : Classic Car Insurance Recommendations.

magpienja
13th Aug 2010, 19:42
My son in law has just bought an old VW Beatle 1972 tax free,

Up to know the cheapest quote he has is over 260 which surprised me.....I run a 35 year old Landrover fully comp 98,

He has a clean licence, any recommendation of who he could try for a more realistic quote.

Nick.

G-CPTN
13th Aug 2010, 19:49
How old is son-in-law, how long has he been driving (and when did he last have a claim)?

Also, what is his 'profession'?

Is this his only vehicle? If not, is he trying to add the VW as a second vehicle on his insurance?

Is he seeking 'third party only' insurance (this can sometimes be more expensive than comprehensive cover).

It might be worth joining a group of VW owners who may well have special insurance provision.

RJM
13th Aug 2010, 19:54
If he joins a car club he may qualify for special insurance - limited days on the road by log book and a reduced premium.

magpienja
13th Aug 2010, 19:55
I will ask him about his last claim....I should have asked,

He is a CNC programmer age 33.

Nick.

G-CPTN
13th Aug 2010, 20:02
Age 33 sounds reasonable (ie he's not under 25) and his job isn't something like a DJ or someone who might be giving lifts to celebrities.

If the vehicle is (in any way) 'modified' it might attract a higher premium.

Enter 'classic VW insurance' into your favourite search engine.

Ring around a few, then ask how to get the premium reduced (usually a higher excess or restricted drivers). Once you get a hint of a reduction go back to the others and negotiate with them. Make up your mind how much you are prepared to pay, then when someone offers you a 'now only' premium (ie not valid for call-backs) you will know whether to accept or tell them to sling their hook . . .

Your LR insurance probably includes a significant NCB (and you are probably of 'more mature years' ).

Geogaphic location will have some effect (inner-city rates higher than rural countryside) and some hot spots will be much worse than others.

Also whether the vehicle is to be garaged or kept on the public highway.

Sir George Cayley
13th Aug 2010, 20:13
Well lets get the picky bit outa the way first. I hope he drives a Beetle not a Beatle:ok:

Go to [URL="http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/"]

this is the Pprune of Dubs. There are a number of insurers on there.

I used Adrian Flux mostly and found them OK. Herts Insurance are tough on modded Dubs.

Finally, I agree that membership of a reputable club can attract a discount on premium.

Good luck and lets see a piccy of his ride (car that is)

Sir George Cayley

RJM
13th Aug 2010, 20:15
You might find an insurance broker who knows their way round classic car insurance.

Whirlygig
13th Aug 2010, 21:02
Most of the classic car insurance companies like Footman James or Heritage insure on the basis that the vehicle is not the main vehicle i.e. your son has an everyday car to drive. If not, this will put up the premiums consuderably.

Annual mileage is usually restricted and most will insist on an agreed value to include photos, invoices of work done and an official valuation from an official owners' club.

Cheers

Whirls

mixture
13th Aug 2010, 23:14
G-CPTN,

Once you get a hint of a reduction go back to the others and negotiate with them. Make up your mind how much you are prepared to pay, then when someone offers you a 'now only' premium (ie not valid for call-backs) you will know whether to accept or tell them to sling their hook . . .

I wouldn't call that negotiation, I'd call that haggling !

Whatever you call it .... fighting for the lowest price is an unwise endeavour, especially in the insurance market, where the devil is most definitely in the detail !

mustpost
13th Aug 2010, 23:24
like a DJ or someone who might be giving lifts to celebrities.

Oii CPTN! I resemble that remark! One kens what that feels like, in fact paid 800 in the early 80's for some pretty crummy cover for a modest car..
The only person who poses a greater risk than someone in your position would be a one-legged irish bookie with an alcoholic record
His words, not mine :*

Senior Paper Monitor
14th Aug 2010, 00:01
Uninsurable jobs - my subject of the moment.

I am in the final painful stages (two months worth) of assembling a bunch of standard insurances into a package operated under a trust arrangement to protect ability for matrimonal maintenance payments - not even as much fun as it sounds, believe me.

Amongst other things this has involved is building a database comparing different insurers 'rating of jobs' for insurance risk - some of the individual definitions are unbelieveable, for instance .....

If looking at income protection type policies there are supposedly tow prime criteria ... 1) risk 2) susceptability to injury/illness/circumstance likely to prevent you working.

Looking at one major insurer's tables:

a 'disc jockey' (presumably be it someone working the back street clebs of Glasgow or the host of the radio 3 classic music hour) is CAT 5 - the highest - refused cover on basis of capable of doing own job ( functional test applies - i.e needs to be a dribbling wreck).

This is the same as a 'wall of death driver' (and no I'm not kidding)

or

a 'deckchair attendant' !!!!!!

I don't deal with motor insurance but the same categorisation creeps across to such fields apparently.

Incidentally, even for income protection i.e inability to work due sickness or injury (not death or injury doing the job) would you believe that most commercial helicopter pilots are a 5 (see 'deckchair attendant' et al) or declined and commercial airline pilots are a 2.

NOTE: Out of fairness I should point out that the above examples are individual insurer definitions and do not apply across whole of market (therefore picking the right insurer for the actual job is vital - purpose of my current work)

The scary side of this is ....

1) that many people pay for insurance cover (and add-ons to insurance cover, such as waivers) without realising that ability to work definitions and resulting benefit vary dramatically with the job concerned.

2) very few brokers (even the good ones) are aware of these issues - and for those of you who buy insurance online (i.e without advice) the risk is huge.

Incidentally change job and don't tell insurer = potential failed claim if changing up a risk level.

..... apologies for thread drift (rant over).

critter592
14th Aug 2010, 01:37
A VW Beatle? :O
I once owned one of those; the piston ringos went u/s... :}

Seriously...

I have a 1973 Leyland Leopard coach, which I have owned since 1991.
Will have to check to be 100% certain, but fully comp. back then was around 280.
I have just renewed the insurance (vehicle has just had a lengthy spell of TLC after long-term storage), 137 fully comp.

Don

HuntandFish
14th Aug 2010, 08:53
As others have said Classic Car Insurance is different to normal car insurance.
I have a 1972 Lotus which costs 160 or so with my son aged 27 as a named driver and no mileage restriction . Off road insurance is also available but its not massivley cheaper .I am a car Club member which gives me some discount . But it is a toy and is not anyones sole car . If you get a valuation from your Car Club you can also get a guaranteed insured value if its written off .
Classic policies dont count towards no claims discounts on normal polcies .

Rhayader
14th Aug 2010, 09:01
Adrian Flux did the business for me. A Triumph Spitfire 1500 with 10k annual miles came in at 73 fully comp. Good call centre with people that knew their job. Very professional.

UniFoxOs
14th Aug 2010, 09:09
I pay less than 100 each (basic) on a '72 Mini and a '71 MGB, both through a broker called Lancaster. Limited to 6000 miles p.a., and I have an agreed total loss value on the Mini after submitting photos, receipts and a fee. Two named drivers on each policy, and I didn't have to declare that I had a "daily driver" as well (good job as the MG is the daily driver).

You are supposed to be a member of the owner's club for these rates, but they have never asked me for proof. Strangely the Mini policy covers me to drive other cars!!

Cheers
UFO

Windy Militant
14th Aug 2010, 12:32
A mate of mine tried to insure a Triumph TR7 with a well known insurance company only to be told by the young lady at the call centre that they didn't do Motorbikes! :}
I suppose your lad could always try Carol Nash :rolleyes:
A thought does he declare him self as an engineer? When I was an apprentice with the MOD It knocked about thirty percent off the policy if I put down civil servant instead of grease monkey!;)

Lon More
14th Aug 2010, 18:06
Although joining a club is a good idea for spares, info etc. you should be able to get some reasonable quotes from insurers who advertise in any of the classic car magazines or, even better, a one make magazine.